From: Dan Kohn [dan@...]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 1:00 PM
To: Quinton Hoole
Cc: Chris Aniszczyk; Alexis Richardson
Subject: Re: CNFS Cloud-native Network Functions

That's a mistake, then. I will make clear the problem to them and ask them to get my signoff first on future submissions.
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 3:53 PM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Thanks for clarifying Dan

There are several proposed Kubecon talks (e.g. for Barcelona in May) on Cloud-native Network Functions, some by CNCF-paid contractors, which do not portray it in that light.

From: Dan Kohn <dan@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 04:32
To: Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
Cc: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>

Here's background on CNFs. In short, it's a demonstration and marketing term for how to use Kubernetes as a substrate for the telco use case. There's no project associated with it, and a key consideration is how to support telcos without "breaking" Kubernetes's success for enterprise users. There are no actual upstream changes or new projects that we're proposing.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 2:16 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
+Dan Kohn

The nomenclature is a bit off but this is a CNCF funded effort / demo, not an official CNCF project per se.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:47 AM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Hi Alexis, Chris

I recently noticed that CNFS claim to be “in the CNCF”.

I think this is the first I’ve heard of this.  Am I asleep at the wheel?  Was this ever passed by the TOC?  Where exactly does it fit in?

There is a CNFS project in the CNCF GitHub:

But it’s not listed as a sandbox (or any other) CNCF project?

What am I missing here?

Thanks for any guidance.

From:Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
To:CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Date:2019-02-18 08:59:35
Subject:[cncf-toc] [VOTE] containerd moving to graduation

containerd has requested to move to the graduation maturity level:
https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/165

The containerd community believes it has fulfilled all the graduation criteria:

- Have a healthy number of committers and at least two from different organizations: Containerd has had a variety of maintainers and reviewers since its inception, and currently have 12 committers representing Docker, NTT, Google, IBM, Microsoft, Facebook, Tesla, and Cruise Automation. They also have reviewers representing Alibaba, ZTE, Huawei, Docker, Microsoft and an independent developer.

- Document that it is being used successfully in production by at least three independent end users:

Containerd began life prior to its CNCF as a lower-layer runtime manager for the Docker engine. Continuing today, containerd has widest usage and adoption as the layer between the Docker engine and the OCI runc executor. However, as containerd and its CRI plugin project have merged in January 2018, the combined use of containerd and the CRI plugin has grown to include several public cloud providers, as well as several projects who are attracted to the simplicity of the Go client API library for embedding container runtime capabilities.

IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service (IKS)
IBM Cloud Private (ICP)
Google Cloud Kubernetes Engine (GKE) [offers containerd in "alpha clusters"]
Cloud Foundry
Alibaba's PouchContainer
Rancher's Rio project
Eliot
Balena
LinuxKit
BuildKit
AWS Firecracker
Kata containers
Docker engine

- Demonstrate a substantial ongoing flow of commits and merged contributions: https://github.com/containerd/containerd/graphs/contributors + https://containerd.devstats.cncf.io + https://all.devstats.cncf.io/d/54/project-health?orgId=1&var-repogroup_name=containerd

- Have achieved a CII badge: https://bestpractices.coreinfrastructure.org/en/projects/1271

- Define a governance model: https://github.com/containerd/project/blob/master/GOVERNANCE.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/165

From:Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
To:CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Date:2019-02-18 08:59:35

[...]

Quinton Hoole

+1 (binding)
From:Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
To:CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Date:2019-02-18 08:59:35

[...]

Xing Yang

+1 (non-binding)

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 11:59 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
[...]

Brendan Burns

+1

[...]

Wilson, Dan <dan.wilson01@...>

+1 non-binding. woot, woot!

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
Date: Monday, February 18, 2019 at 8:59 AM
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

[...]

Gilbert Song

+1 (non-binding).

-Gilbert

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 10:37 AM Justin Cappos <jcappos@...> wrote:
+1 non-binding

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 1:23 PM Mark Peek via Lists.Cncf.Io <markpeek=vmware.com@...> wrote:

+1 non-binding

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
Date: Monday, February 18, 2019 at 8:59 AM
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

[...]

Mark Peek

+1 non-binding

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
Date: Monday, February 18, 2019 at 8:59 AM
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 9:59 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
[...]

Re: Anyone know what this is?

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 8:59 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
[...]

Lee Calcote

Of the major benefits highlighted, #3 - developer velocity (and the inherent increase in consistency of infrastructure configuration) - is not to be overshadowed by the the first major benefit of performance improvements. Each are substantial.

The goal of the CNF Testbed's apples-to-apples comparison resonates with the goal of the Meshery project with aims for apples-to-apples performance comparison between prominent service mesh projects. Meshery is an alpha state project slated for demo in an upcoming Networking WG call.

- Lee

On Feb 25, 2019, at 7:49 AM, Liz Rice <liz@...> wrote:

Fwiw I think this is pretty cool, but I suspect a lot of parties interested in this comparison would also want to see latency & jitter info added to slide 9. Is that in the pipeline Dan?

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 at 10:18, Dan Kohn <dan@...> wrote:

The code: https://github.com/cncf/cnf-testbed
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com

@lizrice  | lizrice.com+44 (0) 780 126 1145

Re: Anyone know what this is?

Liz Rice

Fwiw I think this is pretty cool, but I suspect a lot of parties interested in this comparison would also want to see latency & jitter info added to slide 9. Is that in the pipeline Dan?

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 at 10:18, Dan Kohn <dan@...> wrote:

The code: https://github.com/cncf/cnf-testbed
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 4:13 AM alexis richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

@lizrice  | lizrice.com+44 (0) 780 126 1145

Re: [VOTE] containerd moving to graduation

abdul aziz

+1 binding

Md.Abdul  Aziz
BTech,CSE,IIIT -HYD

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 7:34 AM heng du <duhengforever@...> wrote:
+1

jia zou <zoujia.steven@...> 于2019年2月25日周一 上午9:57写道:
+1 nb

Thanks & Regards,
---------------------------
Steven Zou/邹佳, Core maintainer of CNCF hosted project Harbor.

Skype: bear_douzi@...
Wechat: 89619780

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 4:35 PM "Li, Xiang <x.li@...> wrote:
+1 (binding)