Date

Re: [VOTE] containerd moving to graduation

Sonya Koptyev <sonya@...>

Sonya

Sonya Koptyev | Director of Evangelism | m: +1 425 505 0100

On Feb 18, 2019, 10:22 AM -0800, Chris Short via Lists.Cncf.Io <chris=chrisshort.net@...>, wrote:
0 nb

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 11:59 Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
containerd has requested to move to the graduation maturity level:
https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/165

The containerd community believes it has fulfilled all the graduation criteria:

- Have a healthy number of committers and at least two from different organizations: Containerd has had a variety of maintainers and reviewers since its inception, and currently have 12 committers representing Docker, NTT, Google, IBM, Microsoft, Facebook, Tesla, and Cruise Automation. They also have reviewers representing Alibaba, ZTE, Huawei, Docker, Microsoft and an independent developer.

- Document that it is being used successfully in production by at least three independent end users:

Containerd began life prior to its CNCF as a lower-layer runtime manager for the Docker engine. Continuing today, containerd has widest usage and adoption as the layer between the Docker engine and the OCI runc executor. However, as containerd and its CRI plugin project have merged in January 2018, the combined use of containerd and the CRI plugin has grown to include several public cloud providers, as well as several projects who are attracted to the simplicity of the Go client API library for embedding container runtime capabilities.

IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service (IKS)
IBM Cloud Private (ICP)
Google Cloud Kubernetes Engine (GKE) [offers containerd in "alpha clusters"]
Cloud Foundry
Alibaba's PouchContainer
Rancher's Rio project
Eliot
Balena
LinuxKit
BuildKit
AWS Firecracker
Kata containers
Docker engine

- Demonstrate a substantial ongoing flow of commits and merged contributions: https://github.com/containerd/containerd/graphs/contributors + https://containerd.devstats.cncf.io + https://all.devstats.cncf.io/d/54/project-health?orgId=1&var-repogroup_name=containerd

- Have achieved a CII badge: https://bestpractices.coreinfrastructure.org/en/projects/1271

- Define a governance model: https://github.com/containerd/project/blob/master/GOVERNANCE.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/165

Re: [VOTE] containerd moving to graduation

Chris Short

[...]

Bob Killen <rkillen@...>

+1 non binding

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 1:12 PM Davanum Srinivas <davanum@...> wrote:
+1 (non-binding)

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 1:03 PM Liz Rice <liz@...> wrote:
+1 nb

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 5:21 PM Doug Davis <dug@...> wrote:

"Chris Aniszczyk" ---02/18/2019 11:59:29 AM---containerd has requested to move to the graduation maturity level: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com

From: "Chris Aniszczyk" <caniszczyk@...>
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Date: 02/18/2019 11:59 AM
Subject: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] containerd moving to graduation
Sent by: cncf-toc@...

[...]

@lizrice  | lizrice.com+44 (0) 780 126 1145

Bob Killen
Research Cloud Administrator
University of Michigan

From: "Chris Aniszczyk" <caniszczyk@...>
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Date: 02/18/2019 11:59 AM
Sent by: cncf-toc@...

From: "Chris Aniszczyk" <caniszczyk@...>
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Date: 02/18/2019 11:59 AM
Sent by: cncf-toc@...

From: "Chris Aniszczyk" <caniszczyk@...>
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Date: 02/18/2019 11:59 AM
Sent by: cncf-toc@...

[...]

Justin Cormack

+1 (non binding)

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 4:59 PM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
[...]

Phil Estes

- Phil

Chris Aniszczyk wrote on 2/18/19 11:59 AM:

[...]

Sent by mobile; please excuse my brevity.

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019, 17:59 Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@... wrote:
[...]

Ihor Dvoretskyi

+1 (non-binding).

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 6:59 PM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
[...]

Chris Aniszczyk

[...]

Re: Final RFC: containerd graduation

Zhang Lei

+1 for kicking the vote :-)

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 12:31 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
Final reminder here on any reviews/comments, I plan on kicking the vote early next week.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 2:54 PM Brian Grant <briangrant@...> wrote:
Thanks.

I posted a link to the review presentation and project health dashboard to the PR. A link to the CII badge status details is also in the PR.

TOC members: PTAL and ask questions if there is essential information you think is missing.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 12:35 PM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
+1

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 2:29 PM Brian Grant via Lists.Cncf.Io <briangrant=google.com@...> wrote:
Could we please push that out a week? A week isn't a sufficient amount of time for any serious diligence.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 11:58 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
Hey all, now that we have a newly formed TOC, we are back to tackling backlog of project/graduation requests. At the TOC call today, we discussed that containerd will be next and offer a week of commentary from the wider community:

We will then kick off a formal vote next week on graduation.

http://aniszczyk.org
+1 512 961 6719

[...]

RFC: CII + Graduation Criteria

Chris Aniszczyk

On the last TOC call there was a call to look at updating the graduation requirements and also to look at the various CII levels:

One idea was to potentially have the incubating level require the "silver" level for CII and graduated require the "gold" level:

https://github.com/coreinfrastructure/best-practices-badge/blob/master/doc/other.md#silver-passing1-criteria
https://github.com/coreinfrastructure/best-practices-badge/blob/master/doc/other.md#gold-passing2-criteria

On the next TOC call, we will have one of the main CII authors to go over the levels and answer any questions from the community. This should be a useful exercise to see if we can leverage the hard work that has been done in CII along with giving them feedback on the criteria they have developed.

Re: CNCF SIGs Proposal

Quinton Hoole

Hi TOC

The document has been moved to a PR:  https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/194

Chris, it looks like we need to do a few updates on our GitHub repo to reflect the new TOC members – the list is out of date.

Approval required by 1 of:
    - benh
    - bgrant0607
    - jonboulle
    - kenowens12
    - monadic
    - skamille

Also, my GitHub user name changed to quinton-hoole-2

From: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Date: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 09:45
To: "\"Li"
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of <Li>
Date: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 09:28
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>

Thanks for putting this together! I have a few questions and comments on the proposal.

Questions:

1. Does every existing CNCF project need to be assigned to a SIG?

Quinton> Yes, that’s the intention, primarily so that there is clear responsibility (for example for project health checks) and communication channels.

2. Does every candidate project proposal need to be prepared with a SIG?

Quinton> In theory a project could independently prepare and submit a proposal to the TOC, but a specified SIG would perform the bulk of the due diligence on the project, so it would be in the project’s interest to have the SIG help them to prepare the proposal.   If a project objects to some aspect of the SIG involvement (for example claiming SIG bias against their project), then they should escalate to the TOC as required.

Comments:

I would like to see the SIG responsibilities explicitly include helping young projects to grow and thrive (sandbox and early incubation projects). For example, each sandbox project get assigned one or two mentors from the SIG. The SIG tech lead helps on the roadmap and governance structure for sandbox projects.

Quinton> I think we need to be careful about foisting unwanted guidance or control over projects by SIG’s.  I would prefer to frame that as something like “projects should request assistance from their assigned SIG ….”.  We already have wording around how projects request help from the CNCF, and will amend that to make it clear that this includes help from SIGs.

As the proposal mentions SIG retirement, shall we also mention the split/merge of SIGs? For example, the core and applied architecture SIG is kind of a umbrella SIG, especially the applied architecture part. I can image that the ML/big data area might need its own SIG as it grows.

Quinton> Yes, agreed.  I will add wording to this effect.

Re: Final RFC: containerd graduation

Brian Grant