Date   

Re: CNCF SIGs Proposal

Zhipeng Huang
 

I agree with Sarah, and this is where most people missunderstand policy - they think of it in terms of governance instead of a set of rules which provides constraints for a cluster. Could we change it to security & policy or even just Security , or something else ?


On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 6:31 AM Sarah Allen via Lists.Cncf.Io <sarahallen=google.com@...> wrote:
Overall the doc looks great -- thanks Alexis for your editorial work and Quinton for moving this forward!

One small point on naming of a specific SIG: 

Governance

security, authentication, authorization, auditing, policy enforcement

SPIFFE, SPIRE, Open Policy Agent, Notary, TUF,  Falco,


The word "governance" is often used to convey human processes of policy (e.g. how decisions are made, roles and responsibilities, etc.), and if I saw that in a list of SIGs, I probably wouldn't go looking there for security.  

Also note that the "Governance" section of the same doc addressees those same kinds of human policy concerns (e.g. "SIGs must have a documented governance process that encourages community participation and clear guidelines to avoid biased decision-making."), yet the topics for the SIG and list of projects are more about the software used to implement security and privacy, along with ensuring compliance (auditing, etc).

Also, note that some open source projects have a GOVERNANCE.md (or similarly named directory) to define project roles and decision-making process (examples: Nodecloudevents, SAFE, docker, k8s community)

Interested in what others think about this naming detail.

Thanks!
Sarah

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 7:34 AM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
My apologies Diane – I just reread the Operating Model section and you’re right - it’s not sufficiently clear on the point you raised.  I will add some wording to the effect of my email reply below.

Regards

Q

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 06:54
To: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

Quinton, 

If you are referring to this one sentence:

"The TOC makes use of this input to act as an informed and effective executive board to select and promote appropriate CNCF projects and practices, and to disseminate high quality information to end users and the cloud-native community in general." as the section discussion the creation/instantiation/proposal process for new SIGs"

I'd like a bit more clarity. If someone from the community (outside of the TOC) wishes to propose a SIG, what it the process? Or is it just the purview of the TOC on know when a new SIG should be created - then that would be nice to have clarified further.

If there's another section of the document, that you feel clarifies this SIG instantiation/proposal process, please point me in the right direction. I'm just not finding it.

Thanks for your help,

Diane Mueller
@openshiftcommon

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 6:16 AM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Thanks Diane

I think that’s adequately covered in the doc - the TOC creates and approves SIG’s.  If anyone believes we need to create more SIG’s, they should, by implication, ask the TOC to do that.  The current intention is to keep the number of SIGs relatively small, at least initially, and make sure they’re all highly effective before expanding the number of SIG's.

Q

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 05:27
To: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

Quinton et al,

Would it be possible to ask for a section in the Operator Model on how one goes about proposing a new SIG and the process for getting it approved?
(or if there is documentation on this topic elsewhere, reference/link to it in an appendix)?

Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat 
@openshiftcommon

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 10:47 PM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Greetings to the new TOC

Late last year Alexis kicked off a public discussion regarding forming CNCF SIG’s (initially referred to as Categories).  Since then a few of us have collaborated on soliciting further input, addressing all the comments, and producing a finalish proposal for consideration by the TOC.

Please give it a read and we can decide how to proceed at the next meeting this Tue, Feb 5


Q

From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 07:58
To: Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>
Cc: Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>
Subject: Re: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc

can you put this link into the main doc as a comment?

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 3:57 PM Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...> wrote:

Hi Alexis,


Following our initial discussion in Seattle, Quinton and I had a discussion on this.   I captured the notes and applied them to the operating model.   I decided to make a copy of the doc and apply the changes to operating model section only - the current doc is hard to process due to the number of comments.


Here is the amended operating model content: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ySri5jVrPaJjTJ_tZnDzcc4Xmcm4uKoUrHT6lVO6Pcw/edit#heading=h.6cl6hmsbz9fv


Kind Regards,

Alex





From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Sent: 09 January 2019 19:36
To: Erin Boyd; Sarah Allen
Cc: Bryan Cantrill; Chris Aniszczyk; Quinton Hoole; Alex Chircop; Matt Farina
Subject: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc
 
hi all

happy 2019!

how's this doc looking?  I daren't look.  can we show the toc an update next week?

a



On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 5:35 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
+sarah

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018, 13:35 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:
Sounds good.
Please feel free to catch me on Slack.

Erin


On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 11:18 PM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Thank you Erin.  Let's try and sync 1-1 during the week 

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018, 00:42 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:
HI Alexis,
I think I am speaking on a panel at this time.
I can collaborate in the document.
Sorry about that.
Thanks,
Erin


On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 11:46 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

CNCF TOC meeting re SIGs Doc

meeting to discuss the Categories and SIGs doc
identify and divide up work tasks to clean up draft doc.
eg: we agree a new section plan and each take one section? or something
When
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:30pm – 4:10pm Mountain Time - Denver
Where
lobby of the Sheraton Grand Seattle (map)
Joining info
meet.google.com/hud-jxti-yvh
Or dial: +1 929-299-3513  PIN: 706587657#
Calendar
eboyd@...
Who
Alexis Richardson - organizer
Matt Farina
Chris Aniszczyk

Going (eboyd@...)?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this email at the account eboyd@... because you are subscribed for invitations on calendar eboyd@....

To stop receiving these emails, please log in to https://www.google.com/calendar/ and change your notification settings for this calendar.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to modify your RSVP response. Learn More.



--
Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org



--
Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org



--
Zhipeng (Howard) Huang

Principle Engineer
IT Standard & Patent/IT Product Line
Huawei Technologies Co,. Ltd
Office: Huawei Industrial Base, Longgang, Shenzhen


Re: Thank-yous (was Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal)

Brian Grant
 

+1.

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 2:34 PM alexis richardson <alexis@...> wrote:


On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 10:31 PM Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...> wrote:
Overall the doc looks great -- thanks Alexis for your editorial work and Quinton for moving this forward!

Quinton has done all the "final" edits, and the team of volunteers (Erin, Matt, Alex & some others) got the doc into an editable state.

THANK-YOU!

a

 


Thank-yous (was Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal)

alexis richardson
 



On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 10:31 PM Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...> wrote:
Overall the doc looks great -- thanks Alexis for your editorial work and Quinton for moving this forward!

Quinton has done all the "final" edits, and the team of volunteers (Erin, Matt, Alex & some others) got the doc into an editable state.

THANK-YOU!

a

 


Re: CNCF SIGs Proposal

Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>
 

Overall the doc looks great -- thanks Alexis for your editorial work and Quinton for moving this forward!

One small point on naming of a specific SIG: 

Governance

security, authentication, authorization, auditing, policy enforcement

SPIFFE, SPIRE, Open Policy Agent, Notary, TUF,  Falco,


The word "governance" is often used to convey human processes of policy (e.g. how decisions are made, roles and responsibilities, etc.), and if I saw that in a list of SIGs, I probably wouldn't go looking there for security.  

Also note that the "Governance" section of the same doc addressees those same kinds of human policy concerns (e.g. "SIGs must have a documented governance process that encourages community participation and clear guidelines to avoid biased decision-making."), yet the topics for the SIG and list of projects are more about the software used to implement security and privacy, along with ensuring compliance (auditing, etc).

Also, note that some open source projects have a GOVERNANCE.md (or similarly named directory) to define project roles and decision-making process (examples: Nodecloudevents, SAFE, docker, k8s community)

Interested in what others think about this naming detail.

Thanks!
Sarah

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 7:34 AM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
My apologies Diane – I just reread the Operating Model section and you’re right - it’s not sufficiently clear on the point you raised.  I will add some wording to the effect of my email reply below.

Regards

Q

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 06:54
To: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

Quinton, 

If you are referring to this one sentence:

"The TOC makes use of this input to act as an informed and effective executive board to select and promote appropriate CNCF projects and practices, and to disseminate high quality information to end users and the cloud-native community in general." as the section discussion the creation/instantiation/proposal process for new SIGs"

I'd like a bit more clarity. If someone from the community (outside of the TOC) wishes to propose a SIG, what it the process? Or is it just the purview of the TOC on know when a new SIG should be created - then that would be nice to have clarified further.

If there's another section of the document, that you feel clarifies this SIG instantiation/proposal process, please point me in the right direction. I'm just not finding it.

Thanks for your help,

Diane Mueller
@openshiftcommon

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 6:16 AM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Thanks Diane

I think that’s adequately covered in the doc - the TOC creates and approves SIG’s.  If anyone believes we need to create more SIG’s, they should, by implication, ask the TOC to do that.  The current intention is to keep the number of SIGs relatively small, at least initially, and make sure they’re all highly effective before expanding the number of SIG's.

Q

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 05:27
To: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

Quinton et al,

Would it be possible to ask for a section in the Operator Model on how one goes about proposing a new SIG and the process for getting it approved?
(or if there is documentation on this topic elsewhere, reference/link to it in an appendix)?

Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat 
@openshiftcommon

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 10:47 PM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Greetings to the new TOC

Late last year Alexis kicked off a public discussion regarding forming CNCF SIG’s (initially referred to as Categories).  Since then a few of us have collaborated on soliciting further input, addressing all the comments, and producing a finalish proposal for consideration by the TOC.

Please give it a read and we can decide how to proceed at the next meeting this Tue, Feb 5


Q

From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 07:58
To: Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>
Cc: Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>
Subject: Re: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc

can you put this link into the main doc as a comment?

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 3:57 PM Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...> wrote:

Hi Alexis,


Following our initial discussion in Seattle, Quinton and I had a discussion on this.   I captured the notes and applied them to the operating model.   I decided to make a copy of the doc and apply the changes to operating model section only - the current doc is hard to process due to the number of comments.


Here is the amended operating model content: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ySri5jVrPaJjTJ_tZnDzcc4Xmcm4uKoUrHT6lVO6Pcw/edit#heading=h.6cl6hmsbz9fv


Kind Regards,

Alex





From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Sent: 09 January 2019 19:36
To: Erin Boyd; Sarah Allen
Cc: Bryan Cantrill; Chris Aniszczyk; Quinton Hoole; Alex Chircop; Matt Farina
Subject: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc
 
hi all

happy 2019!

how's this doc looking?  I daren't look.  can we show the toc an update next week?

a



On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 5:35 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
+sarah

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018, 13:35 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:
Sounds good.
Please feel free to catch me on Slack.

Erin


On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 11:18 PM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Thank you Erin.  Let's try and sync 1-1 during the week 

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018, 00:42 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:
HI Alexis,
I think I am speaking on a panel at this time.
I can collaborate in the document.
Sorry about that.
Thanks,
Erin


On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 11:46 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

CNCF TOC meeting re SIGs Doc

meeting to discuss the Categories and SIGs doc
identify and divide up work tasks to clean up draft doc.
eg: we agree a new section plan and each take one section? or something
When
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:30pm – 4:10pm Mountain Time - Denver
Where
lobby of the Sheraton Grand Seattle (map)
Joining info
meet.google.com/hud-jxti-yvh
Or dial: +1 929-299-3513  PIN: 706587657#
Calendar
eboyd@...
Who
Alexis Richardson - organizer
Matt Farina
Chris Aniszczyk

Going (eboyd@...)?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this email at the account eboyd@... because you are subscribed for invitations on calendar eboyd@....

To stop receiving these emails, please log in to https://www.google.com/calendar/ and change your notification settings for this calendar.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to modify your RSVP response. Learn More.



--
Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org



--
Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org


Re: CNCF SIGs Proposal

Quinton Hoole
 


From: Brian Grant <briangrant@...>
Date: Friday, February 1, 2019 at 07:24
To: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

Thanks for all the work on this. It's much improved. I think the proposed governance model should address concerns with earlier proposals.

What is meant by "high level roadmap of projects within this space"? Usually I associate "roadmap" with a timeline. Landscape? Trailmap? How they fit into a reference architecture?

Quinton> I didn’t write those words, but my own thinking is that it is intended to encompass all of the above, including the timeline angle.  i.e. what this space looks like today (including projects, ref arch, landscape, common trail maps etc) and also how these are changing over time (trends), and how we would like to influence all of this (filling gaps, better integrations, timelines for this), etc.


Nit: I'd put Buildpacks under App Dev, Ops & Testing. 

Quinton> Yes, some of the project allocations were a bit strained, with non-perfect fits.  I agree regarding Buildpacks and have moved it.

Q


On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 10:47 PM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Greetings to the new TOC

Late last year Alexis kicked off a public discussion regarding forming CNCF SIG’s (initially referred to as Categories).  Since then a few of us have collaborated on soliciting further input, addressing all the comments, and producing a finalish proposal for consideration by the TOC.

Please give it a read and we can decide how to proceed at the next meeting this Tue, Feb 5


Q

From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 07:58
To: Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>
Cc: Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>
Subject: Re: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc

can you put this link into the main doc as a comment?

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 3:57 PM Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...> wrote:

Hi Alexis,


Following our initial discussion in Seattle, Quinton and I had a discussion on this.   I captured the notes and applied them to the operating model.   I decided to make a copy of the doc and apply the changes to operating model section only - the current doc is hard to process due to the number of comments.


Here is the amended operating model content: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ySri5jVrPaJjTJ_tZnDzcc4Xmcm4uKoUrHT6lVO6Pcw/edit#heading=h.6cl6hmsbz9fv


Kind Regards,

Alex





From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Sent: 09 January 2019 19:36
To: Erin Boyd; Sarah Allen
Cc: Bryan Cantrill; Chris Aniszczyk; Quinton Hoole; Alex Chircop; Matt Farina
Subject: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc
 
hi all

happy 2019!

how's this doc looking?  I daren't look.  can we show the toc an update next week?

a



On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 5:35 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
+sarah

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018, 13:35 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:
Sounds good.
Please feel free to catch me on Slack.

Erin


On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 11:18 PM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Thank you Erin.  Let's try and sync 1-1 during the week 

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018, 00:42 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:
HI Alexis,
I think I am speaking on a panel at this time.
I can collaborate in the document.
Sorry about that.
Thanks,
Erin


On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 11:46 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

CNCF TOC meeting re SIGs Doc

meeting to discuss the Categories and SIGs doc
identify and divide up work tasks to clean up draft doc.
eg: we agree a new section plan and each take one section? or something
When
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:30pm – 4:10pm Mountain Time - Denver
Where
lobby of the Sheraton Grand Seattle (map)
Joining info
meet.google.com/hud-jxti-yvh
Or dial: +1 929-299-3513  PIN: 706587657#
Calendar
eboyd@...
Who
Alexis Richardson - organizer
Matt Farina
Chris Aniszczyk

Going (eboyd@...)?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this email at the account eboyd@... because you are subscribed for invitations on calendar eboyd@....

To stop receiving these emails, please log in to https://www.google.com/calendar/ and change your notification settings for this calendar.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to modify your RSVP response. Learn More.


Re: CNCF SIGs Proposal

Erin Boyd
 

Maybe we can put the doc into GitHub and capture comments in there.
Geri - we had commenting turn on before and we had hundreds of comments so it was intended to provide a cleaner view of the document by turning it off.

Open to suggestions.

Erin

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019, 7:35 AM Geri Jennings <geri.jennings@... wrote:

Is there a way to have the ability to add comments and notes directly in the doc? In read-only mode, it is hard to provide much detailed feedback.

 

Thanks,

Geri Jennings

CyberArk

 

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 1:47 AM
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
Cc: Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

 

Greetings to the new TOC

 

Late last year Alexis kicked off a public discussion regarding forming CNCF SIG’s (initially referred to as Categories).  Since then a few of us have collaborated on soliciting further input, addressing all the comments, and producing a finalish proposal for consideration by the TOC.

 

Please give it a read and we can decide how to proceed at the next meeting this Tue, Feb 5

 

 

Q

 

From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 07:58
To: Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>
Cc: Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>
Subject: Re: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc

 

can you put this link into the main doc as a comment?

 

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 3:57 PM Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...> wrote:

Hi Alexis,

 

Following our initial discussion in Seattle, Quinton and I had a discussion on this.   I captured the notes and applied them to the operating model.   I decided to make a copy of the doc and apply the changes to operating model section only - the current doc is hard to process due to the number of comments.

 

Here is the amended operating model content: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ySri5jVrPaJjTJ_tZnDzcc4Xmcm4uKoUrHT6lVO6Pcw/edit#heading=h.6cl6hmsbz9fv

 

Kind Regards,

Alex

 

 


From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Sent: 09 January 2019 19:36
To: Erin Boyd; Sarah Allen
Cc: Bryan Cantrill; Chris Aniszczyk; Quinton Hoole; Alex Chircop; Matt Farina
Subject: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc

 

hi all

 

happy 2019!

 

how's this doc looking?  I daren't look.  can we show the toc an update next week?

 

a

 

 

 

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 5:35 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

+sarah

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018, 13:35 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:

Sounds good.

Please feel free to catch me on Slack.

 

Erin

 

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 11:18 PM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

Thank you Erin.  Let's try and sync 1-1 during the week 

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018, 00:42 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:

HI Alexis,

I think I am speaking on a panel at this time.

I can collaborate in the document.

Sorry about that.

Thanks,

Erin

 

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 11:46 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

CNCF TOC meeting re SIGs Doc

meeting to discuss the Categories and SIGs doc
identify and divide up work tasks to clean up draft doc.
eg: we agree a new section plan and each take one section? or something

When

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:30pm – 4:10pm Mountain Time - Denver

Where

lobby of the Sheraton Grand Seattle (map)

Joining info

meet.google.com/hud-jxti-yvh

Or dial: +1 929-299-3513  PIN: 706587657#

Calendar

eboyd@...

Who

Alexis Richardson - organizer

Matt Farina

Chris Aniszczyk

Going (eboyd@...)?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this email at the account eboyd@... because you are subscribed for invitations on calendar eboyd@....

To stop receiving these emails, please log in to https://www.google.com/calendar/ and change your notification settings for this calendar.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to modify your RSVP response. Learn More.


_______________________________________________
This e-mail may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, do not duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error.


Re: CNCF SIGs Proposal

Diane Mueller
 

Erin (and Quinton),

Yes, Quinton's edits and clarification are spot on - and much appreciated!

Many thanks!

Diane 

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 8:55 AM Erin Boyd <eboyd@...> wrote:
Does this sufficiently cover what you are looking for, Diane?
Let us know.
Thanks,
Erin


On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 9:30 AM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
I added the following to the main doc to clarify:

"SIGs are formed by the TOC.  Initial SIGs are listed below, and will be adapted over time as required.  If members of the community believe that additional SIGs are desired, they should propose these to the TOC, with clear justification, and ideally volunteers to lead the SIG. The TOC wishes to have the smallest viable number of SIGs, and for all of them to be highly effective (as opposed to a “SIG sprawl” with large numbers of relatively ineffective SIGS)."

Q

From: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 08:07
To: Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

Oh, now I understand where the confusion arose.  There is a link in the intro of the main document to a description of the differences between Kubernetes SIGs and CNCF SIGS. That’s where the following wording is:

“CNCF SIGS: Created by the TOC”


But I agree with you Diane – I should add it to the body of the doc too, to clarify.

Q

From: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 07:29
To: Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

My apologies Diane – I just reread the Operating Model section and you’re right - it’s not sufficiently clear on the point you raised.  I will add some wording to the effect of my email reply below.

Regards

Q

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 06:54
To: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

Quinton, 

If you are referring to this one sentence:

"The TOC makes use of this input to act as an informed and effective executive board to select and promote appropriate CNCF projects and practices, and to disseminate high quality information to end users and the cloud-native community in general." as the section discussion the creation/instantiation/proposal process for new SIGs"

I'd like a bit more clarity. If someone from the community (outside of the TOC) wishes to propose a SIG, what it the process? Or is it just the purview of the TOC on know when a new SIG should be created - then that would be nice to have clarified further.

If there's another section of the document, that you feel clarifies this SIG instantiation/proposal process, please point me in the right direction. I'm just not finding it.

Thanks for your help,

Diane Mueller
@openshiftcommon

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 6:16 AM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Thanks Diane

I think that’s adequately covered in the doc - the TOC creates and approves SIG’s.  If anyone believes we need to create more SIG’s, they should, by implication, ask the TOC to do that.  The current intention is to keep the number of SIGs relatively small, at least initially, and make sure they’re all highly effective before expanding the number of SIG's.

Q

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 05:27
To: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

Quinton et al,

Would it be possible to ask for a section in the Operator Model on how one goes about proposing a new SIG and the process for getting it approved?
(or if there is documentation on this topic elsewhere, reference/link to it in an appendix)?

Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat 
@openshiftcommon

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 10:47 PM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Greetings to the new TOC

Late last year Alexis kicked off a public discussion regarding forming CNCF SIG’s (initially referred to as Categories).  Since then a few of us have collaborated on soliciting further input, addressing all the comments, and producing a finalish proposal for consideration by the TOC.

Please give it a read and we can decide how to proceed at the next meeting this Tue, Feb 5


Q

From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 07:58
To: Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>
Cc: Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>
Subject: Re: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc

can you put this link into the main doc as a comment?

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 3:57 PM Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...> wrote:

Hi Alexis,


Following our initial discussion in Seattle, Quinton and I had a discussion on this.   I captured the notes and applied them to the operating model.   I decided to make a copy of the doc and apply the changes to operating model section only - the current doc is hard to process due to the number of comments.


Here is the amended operating model content: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ySri5jVrPaJjTJ_tZnDzcc4Xmcm4uKoUrHT6lVO6Pcw/edit#heading=h.6cl6hmsbz9fv


Kind Regards,

Alex





From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Sent: 09 January 2019 19:36
To: Erin Boyd; Sarah Allen
Cc: Bryan Cantrill; Chris Aniszczyk; Quinton Hoole; Alex Chircop; Matt Farina
Subject: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc
 
hi all

happy 2019!

how's this doc looking?  I daren't look.  can we show the toc an update next week?

a



On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 5:35 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
+sarah

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018, 13:35 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:
Sounds good.
Please feel free to catch me on Slack.

Erin


On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 11:18 PM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Thank you Erin.  Let's try and sync 1-1 during the week 

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018, 00:42 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:
HI Alexis,
I think I am speaking on a panel at this time.
I can collaborate in the document.
Sorry about that.
Thanks,
Erin


On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 11:46 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

CNCF TOC meeting re SIGs Doc

meeting to discuss the Categories and SIGs doc
identify and divide up work tasks to clean up draft doc.
eg: we agree a new section plan and each take one section? or something
When
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:30pm – 4:10pm Mountain Time - Denver
Where
lobby of the Sheraton Grand Seattle (map)
Joining info
meet.google.com/hud-jxti-yvh
Or dial: +1 929-299-3513  PIN: 706587657#
Calendar
eboyd@...
Who
Alexis Richardson - organizer
Matt Farina
Chris Aniszczyk

Going (eboyd@...)?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this email at the account eboyd@... because you are subscribed for invitations on calendar eboyd@....

To stop receiving these emails, please log in to https://www.google.com/calendar/ and change your notification settings for this calendar.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to modify your RSVP response. Learn More.



--
Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org



--
Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org



--
Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org


Re: CNCF SIGs Proposal

Brian Grant
 

Thanks for all the work on this. It's much improved. I think the proposed governance model should address concerns with earlier proposals.

What is meant by "high level roadmap of projects within this space"? Usually I associate "roadmap" with a timeline. Landscape? Trailmap? How they fit into a reference architecture?

Nit: I'd put Buildpacks under App Dev, Ops & Testing. 

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 10:47 PM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Greetings to the new TOC

Late last year Alexis kicked off a public discussion regarding forming CNCF SIG’s (initially referred to as Categories).  Since then a few of us have collaborated on soliciting further input, addressing all the comments, and producing a finalish proposal for consideration by the TOC.

Please give it a read and we can decide how to proceed at the next meeting this Tue, Feb 5


Q

From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 07:58
To: Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>
Cc: Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>
Subject: Re: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc

can you put this link into the main doc as a comment?

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 3:57 PM Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...> wrote:

Hi Alexis,


Following our initial discussion in Seattle, Quinton and I had a discussion on this.   I captured the notes and applied them to the operating model.   I decided to make a copy of the doc and apply the changes to operating model section only - the current doc is hard to process due to the number of comments.


Here is the amended operating model content: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ySri5jVrPaJjTJ_tZnDzcc4Xmcm4uKoUrHT6lVO6Pcw/edit#heading=h.6cl6hmsbz9fv


Kind Regards,

Alex





From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Sent: 09 January 2019 19:36
To: Erin Boyd; Sarah Allen
Cc: Bryan Cantrill; Chris Aniszczyk; Quinton Hoole; Alex Chircop; Matt Farina
Subject: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc
 
hi all

happy 2019!

how's this doc looking?  I daren't look.  can we show the toc an update next week?

a



On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 5:35 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
+sarah

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018, 13:35 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:
Sounds good.
Please feel free to catch me on Slack.

Erin


On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 11:18 PM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Thank you Erin.  Let's try and sync 1-1 during the week 

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018, 00:42 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:
HI Alexis,
I think I am speaking on a panel at this time.
I can collaborate in the document.
Sorry about that.
Thanks,
Erin


On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 11:46 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

CNCF TOC meeting re SIGs Doc

meeting to discuss the Categories and SIGs doc
identify and divide up work tasks to clean up draft doc.
eg: we agree a new section plan and each take one section? or something
When
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:30pm – 4:10pm Mountain Time - Denver
Where
lobby of the Sheraton Grand Seattle (map)
Joining info
meet.google.com/hud-jxti-yvh
Or dial: +1 929-299-3513  PIN: 706587657#
Calendar
eboyd@...
Who
Alexis Richardson - organizer
Matt Farina
Chris Aniszczyk

Going (eboyd@...)?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this email at the account eboyd@... because you are subscribed for invitations on calendar eboyd@....

To stop receiving these emails, please log in to https://www.google.com/calendar/ and change your notification settings for this calendar.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to modify your RSVP response. Learn More.


Re: CNCF SIGs Proposal

Geri Jennings
 

Is there a way to have the ability to add comments and notes directly in the doc? In read-only mode, it is hard to provide much detailed feedback.

 

Thanks,

Geri Jennings

CyberArk

 

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 1:47 AM
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
Cc: Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

 

Greetings to the new TOC

 

Late last year Alexis kicked off a public discussion regarding forming CNCF SIG’s (initially referred to as Categories).  Since then a few of us have collaborated on soliciting further input, addressing all the comments, and producing a finalish proposal for consideration by the TOC.

 

Please give it a read and we can decide how to proceed at the next meeting this Tue, Feb 5

 

 

Q

 

From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 07:58
To: Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>
Cc: Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>
Subject: Re: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc

 

can you put this link into the main doc as a comment?

 

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 3:57 PM Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...> wrote:

Hi Alexis,

 

Following our initial discussion in Seattle, Quinton and I had a discussion on this.   I captured the notes and applied them to the operating model.   I decided to make a copy of the doc and apply the changes to operating model section only - the current doc is hard to process due to the number of comments.

 

Here is the amended operating model content: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ySri5jVrPaJjTJ_tZnDzcc4Xmcm4uKoUrHT6lVO6Pcw/edit#heading=h.6cl6hmsbz9fv

 

Kind Regards,

Alex

 

 


From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Sent: 09 January 2019 19:36
To: Erin Boyd; Sarah Allen
Cc: Bryan Cantrill; Chris Aniszczyk; Quinton Hoole; Alex Chircop; Matt Farina
Subject: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc

 

hi all

 

happy 2019!

 

how's this doc looking?  I daren't look.  can we show the toc an update next week?

 

a

 

 

 

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 5:35 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

+sarah

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018, 13:35 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:

Sounds good.

Please feel free to catch me on Slack.

 

Erin

 

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 11:18 PM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

Thank you Erin.  Let's try and sync 1-1 during the week 

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018, 00:42 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:

HI Alexis,

I think I am speaking on a panel at this time.

I can collaborate in the document.

Sorry about that.

Thanks,

Erin

 

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 11:46 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

CNCF TOC meeting re SIGs Doc

meeting to discuss the Categories and SIGs doc
identify and divide up work tasks to clean up draft doc.
eg: we agree a new section plan and each take one section? or something

When

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:30pm – 4:10pm Mountain Time - Denver

Where

lobby of the Sheraton Grand Seattle (map)

Joining info

meet.google.com/hud-jxti-yvh

Or dial: +1 929-299-3513  PIN: 706587657#

Calendar

eboyd@...

Who

Alexis Richardson - organizer

Matt Farina

Chris Aniszczyk

Going (eboyd@...)?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this email at the account eboyd@... because you are subscribed for invitations on calendar eboyd@....

To stop receiving these emails, please log in to https://www.google.com/calendar/ and change your notification settings for this calendar.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to modify your RSVP response. Learn More.


_______________________________________________
This e-mail may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, do not duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error.


Re: Potentially OT question

Dan Kohn <dan@...>
 

Info on becoming a Kubernetes Certified Service Provider is at https://www.cncf.io/certification/kcsp/.

Please feel free to follow up with me and/or info@... if you have any questions.
--
Dan Kohn <dan@...>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com


On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 12:29 PM Dan Hubbard <dan@...> wrote:
Hi there, we are a silver member of CNCF and were wondering how one gets added to the following?

Thanks for any pointers. 


Potentially OT question

Dan Hubbard <dan@...>
 

Hi there, we are a silver member of CNCF and were wondering how one gets added to the following?

Thanks for any pointers. 


Re: CNCF SIGs Proposal

Erin Boyd
 

Does this sufficiently cover what you are looking for, Diane?
Let us know.
Thanks,
Erin


On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 9:30 AM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
I added the following to the main doc to clarify:

"SIGs are formed by the TOC.  Initial SIGs are listed below, and will be adapted over time as required.  If members of the community believe that additional SIGs are desired, they should propose these to the TOC, with clear justification, and ideally volunteers to lead the SIG. The TOC wishes to have the smallest viable number of SIGs, and for all of them to be highly effective (as opposed to a “SIG sprawl” with large numbers of relatively ineffective SIGS)."

Q

From: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 08:07
To: Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

Oh, now I understand where the confusion arose.  There is a link in the intro of the main document to a description of the differences between Kubernetes SIGs and CNCF SIGS. That’s where the following wording is:

“CNCF SIGS: Created by the TOC”


But I agree with you Diane – I should add it to the body of the doc too, to clarify.

Q

From: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 07:29
To: Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

My apologies Diane – I just reread the Operating Model section and you’re right - it’s not sufficiently clear on the point you raised.  I will add some wording to the effect of my email reply below.

Regards

Q

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 06:54
To: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

Quinton, 

If you are referring to this one sentence:

"The TOC makes use of this input to act as an informed and effective executive board to select and promote appropriate CNCF projects and practices, and to disseminate high quality information to end users and the cloud-native community in general." as the section discussion the creation/instantiation/proposal process for new SIGs"

I'd like a bit more clarity. If someone from the community (outside of the TOC) wishes to propose a SIG, what it the process? Or is it just the purview of the TOC on know when a new SIG should be created - then that would be nice to have clarified further.

If there's another section of the document, that you feel clarifies this SIG instantiation/proposal process, please point me in the right direction. I'm just not finding it.

Thanks for your help,

Diane Mueller
@openshiftcommon

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 6:16 AM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Thanks Diane

I think that’s adequately covered in the doc - the TOC creates and approves SIG’s.  If anyone believes we need to create more SIG’s, they should, by implication, ask the TOC to do that.  The current intention is to keep the number of SIGs relatively small, at least initially, and make sure they’re all highly effective before expanding the number of SIG's.

Q

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 05:27
To: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

Quinton et al,

Would it be possible to ask for a section in the Operator Model on how one goes about proposing a new SIG and the process for getting it approved?
(or if there is documentation on this topic elsewhere, reference/link to it in an appendix)?

Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat 
@openshiftcommon

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 10:47 PM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Greetings to the new TOC

Late last year Alexis kicked off a public discussion regarding forming CNCF SIG’s (initially referred to as Categories).  Since then a few of us have collaborated on soliciting further input, addressing all the comments, and producing a finalish proposal for consideration by the TOC.

Please give it a read and we can decide how to proceed at the next meeting this Tue, Feb 5


Q

From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 07:58
To: Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>
Cc: Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>
Subject: Re: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc

can you put this link into the main doc as a comment?

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 3:57 PM Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...> wrote:

Hi Alexis,


Following our initial discussion in Seattle, Quinton and I had a discussion on this.   I captured the notes and applied them to the operating model.   I decided to make a copy of the doc and apply the changes to operating model section only - the current doc is hard to process due to the number of comments.


Here is the amended operating model content: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ySri5jVrPaJjTJ_tZnDzcc4Xmcm4uKoUrHT6lVO6Pcw/edit#heading=h.6cl6hmsbz9fv


Kind Regards,

Alex





From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Sent: 09 January 2019 19:36
To: Erin Boyd; Sarah Allen
Cc: Bryan Cantrill; Chris Aniszczyk; Quinton Hoole; Alex Chircop; Matt Farina
Subject: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc
 
hi all

happy 2019!

how's this doc looking?  I daren't look.  can we show the toc an update next week?

a



On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 5:35 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
+sarah

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018, 13:35 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:
Sounds good.
Please feel free to catch me on Slack.

Erin


On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 11:18 PM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Thank you Erin.  Let's try and sync 1-1 during the week 

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018, 00:42 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:
HI Alexis,
I think I am speaking on a panel at this time.
I can collaborate in the document.
Sorry about that.
Thanks,
Erin


On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 11:46 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

CNCF TOC meeting re SIGs Doc

meeting to discuss the Categories and SIGs doc
identify and divide up work tasks to clean up draft doc.
eg: we agree a new section plan and each take one section? or something
When
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:30pm – 4:10pm Mountain Time - Denver
Where
lobby of the Sheraton Grand Seattle (map)
Joining info
meet.google.com/hud-jxti-yvh
Or dial: +1 929-299-3513  PIN: 706587657#
Calendar
eboyd@...
Who
Alexis Richardson - organizer
Matt Farina
Chris Aniszczyk

Going (eboyd@...)?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this email at the account eboyd@... because you are subscribed for invitations on calendar eboyd@....

To stop receiving these emails, please log in to https://www.google.com/calendar/ and change your notification settings for this calendar.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to modify your RSVP response. Learn More.



--
Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org



--
Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org


Re: CNCF SIGs Proposal

Quinton Hoole
 

I added the following to the main doc to clarify:

"SIGs are formed by the TOC.  Initial SIGs are listed below, and will be adapted over time as required.  If members of the community believe that additional SIGs are desired, they should propose these to the TOC, with clear justification, and ideally volunteers to lead the SIG. The TOC wishes to have the smallest viable number of SIGs, and for all of them to be highly effective (as opposed to a “SIG sprawl” with large numbers of relatively ineffective SIGS)."

Q

From: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 08:07
To: Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

Oh, now I understand where the confusion arose.  There is a link in the intro of the main document to a description of the differences between Kubernetes SIGs and CNCF SIGS. That’s where the following wording is:

“CNCF SIGS: Created by the TOC”


But I agree with you Diane – I should add it to the body of the doc too, to clarify.

Q

From: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 07:29
To: Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

My apologies Diane – I just reread the Operating Model section and you’re right - it’s not sufficiently clear on the point you raised.  I will add some wording to the effect of my email reply below.

Regards

Q

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 06:54
To: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

Quinton, 

If you are referring to this one sentence:

"The TOC makes use of this input to act as an informed and effective executive board to select and promote appropriate CNCF projects and practices, and to disseminate high quality information to end users and the cloud-native community in general." as the section discussion the creation/instantiation/proposal process for new SIGs"

I'd like a bit more clarity. If someone from the community (outside of the TOC) wishes to propose a SIG, what it the process? Or is it just the purview of the TOC on know when a new SIG should be created - then that would be nice to have clarified further.

If there's another section of the document, that you feel clarifies this SIG instantiation/proposal process, please point me in the right direction. I'm just not finding it.

Thanks for your help,

Diane Mueller
@openshiftcommon

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 6:16 AM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Thanks Diane

I think that’s adequately covered in the doc - the TOC creates and approves SIG’s.  If anyone believes we need to create more SIG’s, they should, by implication, ask the TOC to do that.  The current intention is to keep the number of SIGs relatively small, at least initially, and make sure they’re all highly effective before expanding the number of SIG's.

Q

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 05:27
To: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

Quinton et al,

Would it be possible to ask for a section in the Operator Model on how one goes about proposing a new SIG and the process for getting it approved?
(or if there is documentation on this topic elsewhere, reference/link to it in an appendix)?

Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat 
@openshiftcommon

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 10:47 PM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Greetings to the new TOC

Late last year Alexis kicked off a public discussion regarding forming CNCF SIG’s (initially referred to as Categories).  Since then a few of us have collaborated on soliciting further input, addressing all the comments, and producing a finalish proposal for consideration by the TOC.

Please give it a read and we can decide how to proceed at the next meeting this Tue, Feb 5


Q

From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 07:58
To: Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>
Cc: Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>
Subject: Re: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc

can you put this link into the main doc as a comment?

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 3:57 PM Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...> wrote:

Hi Alexis,


Following our initial discussion in Seattle, Quinton and I had a discussion on this.   I captured the notes and applied them to the operating model.   I decided to make a copy of the doc and apply the changes to operating model section only - the current doc is hard to process due to the number of comments.


Here is the amended operating model content: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ySri5jVrPaJjTJ_tZnDzcc4Xmcm4uKoUrHT6lVO6Pcw/edit#heading=h.6cl6hmsbz9fv


Kind Regards,

Alex





From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Sent: 09 January 2019 19:36
To: Erin Boyd; Sarah Allen
Cc: Bryan Cantrill; Chris Aniszczyk; Quinton Hoole; Alex Chircop; Matt Farina
Subject: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc
 
hi all

happy 2019!

how's this doc looking?  I daren't look.  can we show the toc an update next week?

a



On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 5:35 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
+sarah

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018, 13:35 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:
Sounds good.
Please feel free to catch me on Slack.

Erin


On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 11:18 PM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Thank you Erin.  Let's try and sync 1-1 during the week 

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018, 00:42 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:
HI Alexis,
I think I am speaking on a panel at this time.
I can collaborate in the document.
Sorry about that.
Thanks,
Erin


On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 11:46 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

CNCF TOC meeting re SIGs Doc

meeting to discuss the Categories and SIGs doc
identify and divide up work tasks to clean up draft doc.
eg: we agree a new section plan and each take one section? or something
When
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:30pm – 4:10pm Mountain Time - Denver
Where
lobby of the Sheraton Grand Seattle (map)
Joining info
meet.google.com/hud-jxti-yvh
Or dial: +1 929-299-3513  PIN: 706587657#
Calendar
eboyd@...
Who
Alexis Richardson - organizer
Matt Farina
Chris Aniszczyk

Going (eboyd@...)?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this email at the account eboyd@... because you are subscribed for invitations on calendar eboyd@....

To stop receiving these emails, please log in to https://www.google.com/calendar/ and change your notification settings for this calendar.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to modify your RSVP response. Learn More.



--
Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org



--
Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org


Re: CNCF SIGs Proposal

Quinton Hoole
 

Oh, now I understand where the confusion arose.  There is a link in the intro of the main document to a description of the differences between Kubernetes SIGs and CNCF SIGS. That’s where the following wording is:

“CNCF SIGS: Created by the TOC”

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oSGhx5Hw7Hs_qawYB46BvRSPh0ZvFoxvHx-NWaf5Nsc/edit

But I agree with you Diane – I should add it to the body of the doc too, to clarify.

Q

From: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 07:29
To: Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

My apologies Diane – I just reread the Operating Model section and you’re right - it’s not sufficiently clear on the point you raised.  I will add some wording to the effect of my email reply below.

Regards

Q

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 06:54
To: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

Quinton, 

If you are referring to this one sentence:

"The TOC makes use of this input to act as an informed and effective executive board to select and promote appropriate CNCF projects and practices, and to disseminate high quality information to end users and the cloud-native community in general." as the section discussion the creation/instantiation/proposal process for new SIGs"

I'd like a bit more clarity. If someone from the community (outside of the TOC) wishes to propose a SIG, what it the process? Or is it just the purview of the TOC on know when a new SIG should be created - then that would be nice to have clarified further.

If there's another section of the document, that you feel clarifies this SIG instantiation/proposal process, please point me in the right direction. I'm just not finding it.

Thanks for your help,

Diane Mueller
@openshiftcommon

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 6:16 AM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Thanks Diane

I think that’s adequately covered in the doc - the TOC creates and approves SIG’s.  If anyone believes we need to create more SIG’s, they should, by implication, ask the TOC to do that.  The current intention is to keep the number of SIGs relatively small, at least initially, and make sure they’re all highly effective before expanding the number of SIG's.

Q

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 05:27
To: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

Quinton et al,

Would it be possible to ask for a section in the Operator Model on how one goes about proposing a new SIG and the process for getting it approved?
(or if there is documentation on this topic elsewhere, reference/link to it in an appendix)?

Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat 
@openshiftcommon

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 10:47 PM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Greetings to the new TOC

Late last year Alexis kicked off a public discussion regarding forming CNCF SIG’s (initially referred to as Categories).  Since then a few of us have collaborated on soliciting further input, addressing all the comments, and producing a finalish proposal for consideration by the TOC.

Please give it a read and we can decide how to proceed at the next meeting this Tue, Feb 5


Q

From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 07:58
To: Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>
Cc: Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>
Subject: Re: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc

can you put this link into the main doc as a comment?

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 3:57 PM Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...> wrote:

Hi Alexis,


Following our initial discussion in Seattle, Quinton and I had a discussion on this.   I captured the notes and applied them to the operating model.   I decided to make a copy of the doc and apply the changes to operating model section only - the current doc is hard to process due to the number of comments.


Here is the amended operating model content: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ySri5jVrPaJjTJ_tZnDzcc4Xmcm4uKoUrHT6lVO6Pcw/edit#heading=h.6cl6hmsbz9fv


Kind Regards,

Alex





From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Sent: 09 January 2019 19:36
To: Erin Boyd; Sarah Allen
Cc: Bryan Cantrill; Chris Aniszczyk; Quinton Hoole; Alex Chircop; Matt Farina
Subject: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc
 
hi all

happy 2019!

how's this doc looking?  I daren't look.  can we show the toc an update next week?

a



On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 5:35 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
+sarah

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018, 13:35 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:
Sounds good.
Please feel free to catch me on Slack.

Erin


On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 11:18 PM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Thank you Erin.  Let's try and sync 1-1 during the week 

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018, 00:42 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:
HI Alexis,
I think I am speaking on a panel at this time.
I can collaborate in the document.
Sorry about that.
Thanks,
Erin


On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 11:46 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

CNCF TOC meeting re SIGs Doc

meeting to discuss the Categories and SIGs doc
identify and divide up work tasks to clean up draft doc.
eg: we agree a new section plan and each take one section? or something
When
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:30pm – 4:10pm Mountain Time - Denver
Where
lobby of the Sheraton Grand Seattle (map)
Joining info
meet.google.com/hud-jxti-yvh
Or dial: +1 929-299-3513  PIN: 706587657#
Calendar
eboyd@...
Who
Alexis Richardson - organizer
Matt Farina
Chris Aniszczyk

Going (eboyd@...)?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this email at the account eboyd@... because you are subscribed for invitations on calendar eboyd@....

To stop receiving these emails, please log in to https://www.google.com/calendar/ and change your notification settings for this calendar.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to modify your RSVP response. Learn More.



--
Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org



--
Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org


Re: Congrats and Questions!

Stephen Watt
 

Thanks for the feedback all!


On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 9:11 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Stephen

This came up indirectly at the Kubecon 'meet the TOC' session, when Jaice asked what we are doing to make the TOC more diverse.  Several people responded.  One idea, that I have high hopes for, is that SIGs will create a way for ALL people to contribute more and achieve more.  I think this will overall make TOC Contribution more of a Thing.

alexis






On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 4:03 PM Stephen Watt <swatt@...> wrote:
Is the CNCF trying to create a path for TOC Contributors to grow into the TOC? I think its a good thing when folks who are consistently showing up and doing the work are rewarded for it. If we want TOC contributors to stick around, might I suggest that we think carefully about how we make sure they are not squeezed out come election time by new candidates showing up at the 11th hour?

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 8:55 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
We plan on bringing this up in the next TOC meeting on Feb 5th (next Tuesday)

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 3:53 PM Davanum Srinivas <davanum@...> wrote:
Hi,

Congrats to all the folks on the brand-new TOC! :) I spotted a few concerns in the community around the TOC election and wanted to see if anyone had thoughts about them. 

One was around diversity and the other one was the electorate that gets to vote in the TOC election. Please see examples [1][2][3][4]. 

Thanks,
Dims



--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719


Re: CNCF SIGs Proposal

Quinton Hoole
 

My apologies Diane – I just reread the Operating Model section and you’re right - it’s not sufficiently clear on the point you raised.  I will add some wording to the effect of my email reply below.

Regards

Q

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 06:54
To: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

Quinton, 

If you are referring to this one sentence:

"The TOC makes use of this input to act as an informed and effective executive board to select and promote appropriate CNCF projects and practices, and to disseminate high quality information to end users and the cloud-native community in general." as the section discussion the creation/instantiation/proposal process for new SIGs"

I'd like a bit more clarity. If someone from the community (outside of the TOC) wishes to propose a SIG, what it the process? Or is it just the purview of the TOC on know when a new SIG should be created - then that would be nice to have clarified further.

If there's another section of the document, that you feel clarifies this SIG instantiation/proposal process, please point me in the right direction. I'm just not finding it.

Thanks for your help,

Diane Mueller
@openshiftcommon

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 6:16 AM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Thanks Diane

I think that’s adequately covered in the doc - the TOC creates and approves SIG’s.  If anyone believes we need to create more SIG’s, they should, by implication, ask the TOC to do that.  The current intention is to keep the number of SIGs relatively small, at least initially, and make sure they’re all highly effective before expanding the number of SIG's.

Q

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 05:27
To: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] CNCF SIGs Proposal

Quinton et al,

Would it be possible to ask for a section in the Operator Model on how one goes about proposing a new SIG and the process for getting it approved?
(or if there is documentation on this topic elsewhere, reference/link to it in an appendix)?

Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat 
@openshiftcommon

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 10:47 PM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Greetings to the new TOC

Late last year Alexis kicked off a public discussion regarding forming CNCF SIG’s (initially referred to as Categories).  Since then a few of us have collaborated on soliciting further input, addressing all the comments, and producing a finalish proposal for consideration by the TOC.

Please give it a read and we can decide how to proceed at the next meeting this Tue, Feb 5


Q

From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 07:58
To: Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>
Cc: Erin Boyd <eboyd@...>, Sarah Allen <sarahallen@...>, Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>, Matt Farina <matt.farina@...>
Subject: Re: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc

can you put this link into the main doc as a comment?

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 3:57 PM Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...> wrote:

Hi Alexis,


Following our initial discussion in Seattle, Quinton and I had a discussion on this.   I captured the notes and applied them to the operating model.   I decided to make a copy of the doc and apply the changes to operating model section only - the current doc is hard to process due to the number of comments.


Here is the amended operating model content: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ySri5jVrPaJjTJ_tZnDzcc4Xmcm4uKoUrHT6lVO6Pcw/edit#heading=h.6cl6hmsbz9fv


Kind Regards,

Alex





From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Sent: 09 January 2019 19:36
To: Erin Boyd; Sarah Allen
Cc: Bryan Cantrill; Chris Aniszczyk; Quinton Hoole; Alex Chircop; Matt Farina
Subject: CNCF TOC SIGs Doc
 
hi all

happy 2019!

how's this doc looking?  I daren't look.  can we show the toc an update next week?

a



On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 5:35 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
+sarah

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018, 13:35 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:
Sounds good.
Please feel free to catch me on Slack.

Erin


On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 11:18 PM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Thank you Erin.  Let's try and sync 1-1 during the week 

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018, 00:42 Erin Boyd, <eboyd@...> wrote:
HI Alexis,
I think I am speaking on a panel at this time.
I can collaborate in the document.
Sorry about that.
Thanks,
Erin


On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 11:46 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

CNCF TOC meeting re SIGs Doc

meeting to discuss the Categories and SIGs doc
identify and divide up work tasks to clean up draft doc.
eg: we agree a new section plan and each take one section? or something
When
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:30pm – 4:10pm Mountain Time - Denver
Where
lobby of the Sheraton Grand Seattle (map)
Joining info
meet.google.com/hud-jxti-yvh
Or dial: +1 929-299-3513  PIN: 706587657#
Calendar
eboyd@...
Who
Alexis Richardson - organizer
Matt Farina
Chris Aniszczyk

Going (eboyd@...)?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this email at the account eboyd@... because you are subscribed for invitations on calendar eboyd@....

To stop receiving these emails, please log in to https://www.google.com/calendar/ and change your notification settings for this calendar.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to modify your RSVP response. Learn More.



--
Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org



--
Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org


Re: Congrats and Questions!

alexis richardson
 

Stephen

This came up indirectly at the Kubecon 'meet the TOC' session, when Jaice asked what we are doing to make the TOC more diverse.  Several people responded.  One idea, that I have high hopes for, is that SIGs will create a way for ALL people to contribute more and achieve more.  I think this will overall make TOC Contribution more of a Thing.

alexis






On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 4:03 PM Stephen Watt <swatt@...> wrote:
Is the CNCF trying to create a path for TOC Contributors to grow into the TOC? I think its a good thing when folks who are consistently showing up and doing the work are rewarded for it. If we want TOC contributors to stick around, might I suggest that we think carefully about how we make sure they are not squeezed out come election time by new candidates showing up at the 11th hour?

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 8:55 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
We plan on bringing this up in the next TOC meeting on Feb 5th (next Tuesday)

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 3:53 PM Davanum Srinivas <davanum@...> wrote:
Hi,

Congrats to all the folks on the brand-new TOC! :) I spotted a few concerns in the community around the TOC election and wanted to see if anyone had thoughts about them. 

One was around diversity and the other one was the electorate that gets to vote in the TOC election. Please see examples [1][2][3][4]. 

Thanks,
Dims



--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719


Re: Congrats and Questions!

Brian Grant
 

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 7:03 AM Stephen Watt <swatt@...> wrote:
Is the CNCF trying to create a path for TOC Contributors to grow into the TOC? I think its a good thing when folks who are consistently showing up and doing the work are rewarded for it. If we want TOC contributors to stick around, might I suggest that we think carefully about how we make sure they are not squeezed out come election time by new candidates showing up at the 11th hour?

The short answer is yes. But so far, just for the TOC-elected seats. A TOC Contributor did previously win a TOC-elected TOC seat.

I would like to see a change in distribution who votes for the TOC seats. For example:
  • 3 by GB (currently 6)
  • 2 by TOC (currently 2)
  • 2 by End user group (currently 1)
  • 2 by project maintainers (current 0)
Also, it was a bug that initial terms were not staggered, which is why so many seats were up for election at the same time. That issue has been addressed.
 

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 8:55 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
We plan on bringing this up in the next TOC meeting on Feb 5th (next Tuesday)

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 3:53 PM Davanum Srinivas <davanum@...> wrote:
Hi,

Congrats to all the folks on the brand-new TOC! :) I spotted a few concerns in the community around the TOC election and wanted to see if anyone had thoughts about them. 

One was around diversity and the other one was the electorate that gets to vote in the TOC election. Please see examples [1][2][3][4]. 

Thanks,
Dims



--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719


Re: Congrats and Questions!

Chris Aniszczyk
 

Short answer is yes and this path exists somewhat already, many CNCF members did end up nominating contributors, of the 30+ nominees many of them were already TOC Contributors. It was very competitive this time around: https://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/results.pl?num_winners=6&id=E_c93ca3b3af0efa64&rkey=2a4b133473e1255c&algorithm=runoff

There are some thoughts long term to diversify representation of the seats (may include more end user and maintainer representation), but we plan carving out a time next Tuesday at the TOC meeting to discuss this with the wider community and share the initial TOC thoughts.


On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 4:03 PM Stephen Watt <swatt@...> wrote:
Is the CNCF trying to create a path for TOC Contributors to grow into the TOC? I think its a good thing when folks who are consistently showing up and doing the work are rewarded for it. If we want TOC contributors to stick around, might I suggest that we think carefully about how we make sure they are not squeezed out come election time by new candidates showing up at the 11th hour?

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 8:55 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
We plan on bringing this up in the next TOC meeting on Feb 5th (next Tuesday)

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 3:53 PM Davanum Srinivas <davanum@...> wrote:
Hi,

Congrats to all the folks on the brand-new TOC! :) I spotted a few concerns in the community around the TOC election and wanted to see if anyone had thoughts about them. 

One was around diversity and the other one was the electorate that gets to vote in the TOC election. Please see examples [1][2][3][4]. 

Thanks,
Dims



--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719



--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719


Re: Congrats and Questions!

Stephen Watt
 

Is the CNCF trying to create a path for TOC Contributors to grow into the TOC? I think its a good thing when folks who are consistently showing up and doing the work are rewarded for it. If we want TOC contributors to stick around, might I suggest that we think carefully about how we make sure they are not squeezed out come election time by new candidates showing up at the 11th hour?


On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 8:55 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
We plan on bringing this up in the next TOC meeting on Feb 5th (next Tuesday)

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 3:53 PM Davanum Srinivas <davanum@...> wrote:
Hi,

Congrats to all the folks on the brand-new TOC! :) I spotted a few concerns in the community around the TOC election and wanted to see if anyone had thoughts about them. 

One was around diversity and the other one was the electorate that gets to vote in the TOC election. Please see examples [1][2][3][4]. 

Thanks,
Dims



--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719

4881 - 4900 of 7724