Date

Discuss CloudNaticeCon/KubeCon technical content at the TOC

Matt Farina

I would like to request that we have a discussion in a TOC meeting on the Con technical content. I’m happy to help curate items to discuss on it.

Three ideas I would initially seed the list with are:

  • Should only CNCF projects (direct CNCF projects and Kubernetes SIGs/sub-projects) have intros and deep dives on the maintainers track? A non-CNCF project has an intro and deep dive this time around.
  • Should we look to target tracks around types of user roles (e.g., app dev, app ops, cluster ops, project maintainers, management decision makers, etc)? If these kinds of users want to be there it gives vendors a good reason to have booths there, along with being useful to end users. I believe some of these roles are underserved today.
  • Do we limit number of general sessions per vendor? This came up on the list because a vendor can currently have an outsized presence. This can lead to competing vendors, including those at the same sponsorship levels, feeling they are subsidizing their competition.

These are just questions to talk about. Maybe ideas. Anyone have others?

I would ask that we keep these to constructive ideas to improve future Cons so we have help what comes next.

mattfarina.com

Re: Thoughts on KubeCon

alexis richardson

I may be mistaken, but iiuc the Knative team spent time in q2 working with many of the serverless oss projects, so that they used Knative CRDs.  That could explain the appearance of proliferation in the timeframe.

Speaking personally my concern is that Knative and istio are not cncf projects.  Perhaps we should discuss how we as a community want to showcase projects that belong to the wiser oss ecosystem around k8s, vs cncf projects.  That obviously touches on issues around vendor preference too.

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018, 15:01 Matt Farina, <matt@...> wrote:
Camille, that is a fantastic observation. Thanks for pointing it out.

mattfarina.com

On Oct 20, 2018, at 2:29 PM, Camille Fournier <skamille@...> wrote:

I realize I'm chiming in late here but something has been bothering me about this for a while: it is very strange that most of the submissions for this track were for a technology that was announced in late July. That is really strange! The cfp closed in mid August, so we're supposed to believe that in the span of two weeks all the sudden the whole industry decided that knative was the one true serverless model? What? I realize the project did not begin in July (looks like most dev started in Feb), but this seems like a calculated vendor/project participant push given the extreme newness of the project, and incredibly suspicious.

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018, 3:07 PM Liz Rice <liz@...> wrote:
Only four of the submissions on Knative were from Google! Perhaps it goes to show that a lot of other people are also interested in this technology? Again I go back to my point that a lot of people (and not just from one company) submitting on a topic suggests that at this moment in time it's of broad interest to the community.

I'm not going to dig out all the numbers on Istio but it was the same kind of thing. We can't pick talks that aren't submitted!

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 7:43 PM Ruben Orduz <ruben@...> wrote:
I'm aware this is a bit a political minefield here, but I'm concerned the committee(s) are unintentionally choosing winners here (same for KubeCon EU Købnhavn). What I mean is this: "popularity" of a topic or tech can be driven/influenced by movers and shakers in the field. Google pushes for a tool they are working on will get much more traction than a competing tool from a small third party. A dramatic example of this phenomenon is having a whole track dedicated to Istio even though it was as yet a somewhat unproven technology on the field and far from production-ready for enterprise customers who tend to wait until a tech is more stable before deploying it. Several other service meshy-techs felt shunned by this.

I'm getting the same feeling about knative here. Seeing the over abundance of talk proposals about it, it was perceived as a good gauge of community interest, which again, a behemoth is behind pushing it so that's no surprise.

I would posit we need to be more careful to unintentionally pick favorites based on popularity, specially when there's a huge asymmetry in terms of marketing power and community outreach among competitors in any given tech.

Best,
Ruben

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 1:46 PM Matt Farina <matt@...> wrote:
Liz, thanks for sharing those details. I know this is a tough job. Thanks for putting up with this extra work of the questioning and people poking at the ideas here. Anything I’m suggesting is more about clarifying for future conferences and trying to be explicit where we may not have been before.

I completely understand the desire to identify hot technologies. With 2/3 of the proposed talks on one technology it speaks to a level of hotness.

But, there are a couple other ways to look at this situation…

First, there is as a track attendee. 4 of 6 presentations on the same technology is not exciting and does not give me a diverse view. For someone not in the know it gives the impression that the space is not very diverse and that the main piece of technology is “work-in-progress” (the label on knative). Is this the impression we want conference attendees to have?

Second, there is from the perspective of people proposing sessions.

For Kubernetes there are currently numerous serverless technologies including, but not limited to:

  • knative
  • OpenFaaS
  • Kubeless
  • Fission
  • Brigade
  • Virtual Kubelet (works with serverless containers like ACI, Fargate, etc but is not FaaS)

Jupyter bills itself as a web application and notebook. It’s getting a lot of buzz but I’ve not heard of it being billed as Serverless.

There are also tools like serverless that can work with numerous technologies including kubeless (on this list) that are workflow solutions.

In addition there are things the CNCF serverless working group has been working on like cloudevents (which has an intro and deep dive out of band from the serverless track).

The serverless track then has 4 of 6 session on knative, 1 of 6 on something else (Jupyter), and sessions on other serverless technologies being rejected.

Can we all see how decisions here could be interpreted with malicious intent and how it could put a negative view on the conference and decision making process? Whether it happened that way or not, people could come to malicious conclusions.

This all leads me to other questions...

Do we want end-user presentations in this space? Since knative is hot but not ready for production some other technology would be used by them. But, it’s useful today and not “hot”. How do we encourage end-users to present here? Is “hot” or useful today more important?

Is a goal diversity? If so, mirroring presentations with only those that are hot doesn’t provide for diversity.

If some of the intent and goal components could be ironed out it would help future decision makers.

mattfarina.com

On Oct 9, 2018, at 1:26 PM, Liz Rice <liz@...> wrote:

Matt, thank you for your thoughtful response. I like your list and your focus on identifying solutions for things that need to be improved.

Yaron, by my very quick reckoning in a rather complicated spreadsheet: of ~60 submissions under Serverless, ~40 of them mentioned Knative. If number of submissions has some rough correlation to "what the community is currently interested in" (and I believe it does) then Knative is currently very hot, and we have tried to reflect this in the agenda. There's actually a seventh talk from the Serverless list that we accepted into the Observability track because we felt it straddled both topics.

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 5:15 PM Yaron Haviv <yaronh@...> wrote:

Dan,

looking at the schedule, the fact that out of total 6 sessions in the Serverless track there are 4 talks about Knative raises a serious question about the bias of this process

how come the only other two sessions are on OpenFaaS and Jupyter (serverless? really)  and other efforts in the space are left in the cold ?

Yaron

Here is a summary of the discussion so far:

@lizrice  | lizrice.com+44 (0) 780 126 1145

Re: Thoughts on KubeCon

Ruben Orduz <ruben@...>

Precisely. This is what some of us are getting at. And to reiterate not all that different than having a *whole track* for Istio in Kovnhavn while Istio was still nascent. In fact, much less mature than other alternatives in the market at the time. And somehow we’re to believe the market had made its mind in a few short months that Istio was the one and true way to do service meshes and such?

To be clear I’m not trying to be accusatory, just positing that mega vendors know how to throw their wight around to influence outcomes at the cost of smaller competitors being overshadowed. And there should definitely be mechanisms/short-circuit to prevent this sort of gaming of the system.

Best,
Ruben

On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 2:29 PM Camille Fournier <skamille@...> wrote:
[...]

Barker, Daniel <drbarker@...>

This is a good idea. DevOpsDays KC is a single track, so we have different concerns, but we run a series of lightening talks where we often put things that are less pertinent but still need exposure like some newer technologies. I think that many is a little too much at once, but having a few of those sprinkled throughout would probably be helpful in many ways beyond what’s been discussed so far.

Dan Barker

Chief Architect

National Association of Insurance Commissioners

1100 Walnut St. Suite 1500

Kansas City, MO 64106

816-783-8669

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Bob Wise <bob@...>
Date: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 7:50 PM
To: "alena@..." <alena@...>
Cc: Dan Kohn <dan@...>, "skamille@..." <skamille@...>, Brian Grant <briangrant@...>, "bryan@..." <bryan@...>, CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

Since the number of submissions is really high, might be ok to require a more in-depth submission to provide enough context for the double-blind assessment. Fewer but better submissions seems like it would be a fine tradeoff.

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 5:36 PM Alena Prokharchyk <alena@...> wrote:

I'm not sure going with double blind for Kubecon talk submissions is a good idea. In academic conferences, the paper itself is a good enough justification as it includes all the information needed to make a fair judgement. Kubecon submissions are short abstracts, and can't be judged the same way. Speaker's presentation skills, the projects he/she is involved in, the presentations given in the past should be taken into consideration. Unless we ask to include slides and transcript of the presentation as a part of the submission, there is not enough basis to do double blind voting.

A disclaimer: some of my talks were accepted to kubecon, some were rejected. As a speaker (and I don't consider myself to be a particularly good one) I'd really like to know the reasons behind both decisions.

What percentage of end user talks were accepted?

27.8% of talks are from end users.

Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io

+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com

----------------------------------------- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This message and any attachments are from the NAIC and are intended only for the addressee. Information contained herein is confidential, and may be privileged or exempt from disclosure pursuant to applicable federal or state law. This message is not intended as a waiver of the confidential, privileged or exempted status of the information transmitted. Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution or use of such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by e-mail or by forwarding it to the NAIC Service Desk at help@....

Re: Thoughts on KubeCon

Barker, Daniel <drbarker@...>

As an end-user, I submitted several this year that weren’t accepted, and I don’t have a team of people to make it sound great, and I don’t speak at a lot of conferences in order to know exactly how to create a proposal. I run a conference, and I have seen some of these vendor submissions that are identical to what has been submitted to all other conferences and they often sound amazing. Listening to vendors give me an idyllic vision provides me no real value, and that isn’t why I would want to attend KubeCon. Some vendors are certainly better than others and some stock presentations are engaging, but I find I rarely learn much. My preference is for real-world examples or in-depth theory presentations. I don’t attend vendor conferences because they are highly biased, uninformative, and primarily marketing driven. I’ll just watch the webinar or a YouTube video.

From: Ilya Dmitrichenko <ilya@...>
Reply: Ilya Dmitrichenko <ilya@...>
Date: 16 October 2018 at 11:53:53
To: Michael Hausenblas <mhausenb@...>
Cc: Matt Farina <matt@...>, Chris Aniszczyk
<caniszczyk@...>, Camille Fournier
<skamille@...>, CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 10:46 AM Michael Hausenblas
wrote

As an ambassador, I would find it easier to justify
traveling to a small conference then a meetup, as
in either cases I have to get a flight/train ticket and
a hotel for the night, but at a meetup time spent at
the event is much much less, thereby time spent
talking to attendees is significantly less.
+1

Also, we could think about how we could leverage
https://www.meetup.com/pro/cncf/ for it ;)

From: Ilya Dmitrichenko <ilya@...>
Reply: Ilya Dmitrichenko <ilya@...>
Date: 16 October 2018 at 10:28:32
To: Matt Farina <matt@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>, Camille Fournier
<skamille@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>

> [...]
> >> too: https://www.cncf.io/people/ambassadors/
> >>
> >> So in short, we're definitely looking to fill in the gaps next year and
> >> this is something I suggest you engage with the CNCF Marketing Committee,
> >> which is chaired by Mark Coleman:
> >> https://www.cncf.io/people/marketing-committee/

> >> --
> >> Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719

Re: Thoughts on KubeCon

Michael Hausenblas <mhausenb@...>

As an ambassador, I would find it easier to justify
traveling to a small conference then a meetup, as
in either cases I have to get a flight/train ticket and
a hotel for the night, but at a meetup time spent at
the event is much much less, thereby time spent
talking to attendees is significantly less.
+1

Also, we could think about how we could leverage

Cheers,
Michael