Date

Re: DRAFT slides for TOC meeting tomorrow

alexis richardson

Doug,

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Doug Davis <dug@...> wrote:

On the new reference architecture picture I have a few comments/questions:
1 - what is driving the need for a new one rather than tweaking the existing one?

IMHO the old one is quite hard to understand, especially for developers who might use CNCF projects.

This is an attempt to simplify the picture somewhat.  At the end of the day most developers care about CNCF's main concerns: containers, runtime platforms, core services and ancillary tooling, and how they relate to each other, and to apps in general.

2 - I actually prefer the old one. I like that it (abstractly) mentions most of the key pieces of the puzzle - e.g. the image registry and networking - things the new one doesn't touch on.

I think the old one is really abstract -- much too abstract -- and contains extra info, eg about all the interop surfaces, which are unlikely to be seen or used by many developers.

Networking *is* in the stack -- it's part of the runtime layer.  This is covered in the "detail" presentation of the stack that Ken showed two weeks ago.

Registries are part of app dev.

Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc ---07/19/2016 04:42:16 PM---all, https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1h8HFOAVLrJTvjUPP6ZHG2SzVKsTaMLvbiqjzUj4vml8/edit?ts=578

From: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: cncf-toc@...
Date: 07/19/2016 04:42 PM
Subject: [cncf-toc] DRAFT slides for TOC meeting tomorrow
Sent by: cncf-toc-bounces@...

all,

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1h8HFOAVLrJTvjUPP6ZHG2SzVKsTaMLvbiqjzUj4vml8/edit?ts=578d8da0#slide=id.g15e23e5137_1_0

comments actively sought

Re: DRAFT slides for TOC meeting tomorrow

Doug Davis <dug@...>

From: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: cncf-toc@...
Date: 07/19/2016 04:42 PM
Sent by: cncf-toc-bounces@...

all,

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1h8HFOAVLrJTvjUPP6ZHG2SzVKsTaMLvbiqjzUj4vml8/edit?ts=578d8da0#slide=id.g15e23e5137_1_0

comments actively sought

DRAFT slides for TOC meeting tomorrow

alexis richardson

Re: process for CNCF proposals

Brett Preston <bpreston@...>

Happy to help!

Ticket in progress to update Community to Projects.

Thanks,

Brett

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 6:14 AM, Dan Kohn <dan@...> wrote:
Brett Preston, our new project coordinator, would be happy to manage the process.

I'm fine changing from Community to Projects. If you or others can propose some improved text, we can quickly make the changes.

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 5:07 AM, Alexis Richardson alexis@... wrote:

Dan, Chris,

Who is the best person to work with on clarifying the projects

proposals process on the website? I think that the current website

design makes this info a little hard to find. Should there be a

"Projects" item on the menu ribbon instead of "Community"?

Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@...>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io/>
tel:+1-415-233-1000

--
Brett Preston
The Linux Foundation

Google Talk: bpreston@...
Skype: bprestoncf

Re: cluster

alexis richardson

don't spin your wheels yet please

let's discuss your proposal as a group.

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016, 13:13 Camille Fournier, <skamille@...> wrote:

Sorry but is this a no or not now wrt using this cluster? I don't have time to spend on fruitless initiatives so if we're not yet clear on the purpose of this cluster yet I'm not going to spin my wheels trying to get a team of zk members spinning up work to make use of such a thing.

Just looking for clarity.

On Jul 11, 2016 6:13 AM, "Alexis Richardson" <alexis@...> wrote:
Many thanks Camille.  This is a very interesting topic.  I don't think we can throw the doors open to all projects, but I do think that your email touches on many places where interoperation & cooperation would advance the overall CNCF mission, brand, etc.

Perhaps it would be helpful to pivot this topic in Ben's direction.

Ben:

In your view, what is a good set of shared goals for CNCF & ASF?  How do we make sure that Mesos, an ASF project, benefits from CNCF and vice versa?  Are the "cloud native needs" of Mesos the same as for other ASF projects such as: ZK, Kafka, and all the data streaming projects?

alexis

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 6:55 PM Camille Fournier via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hi folks,

So the ZooKeeper community has expressed some interest in using the CNCF cluster to set up a more sharable testing infrastructure for release verification. Are we open to this sort of thing? It looks like the cluster has a minimum 20 node request volume which is far more than the project would need, and tbh I don't really understand that minimum requirement? Even if we don't necessarily want to support release verification testing for ZK specifically, should we ever want to support it for similar systems such as etcd imposing a minimum usage seems slightly strange?

In conversations with Dan we discussed the concept that one of the most useful things CNCF could provide to teams was support beyond unit/simple integration test infrastructure, into more thorough system testing infrastructure. Anyway, I would say that a huge challenge for these cloud native distributed infrastructure components is having distributed testing environments to validate releases in a public manner, so it would be cool if we could consider supporting that.

Re: cluster

Camille Fournier

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

[...]

process for CNCF proposals

alexis richardson

Dan, Chris,

Who is the best person to work with on clarifying the projects
proposals process on the website? I think that the current website
design makes this info a little hard to find. Should there be a
"Projects" item on the menu ribbon instead of "Community"?

alexis

cluster

Camille Fournier

[...]

FYI: New UberConf Line for the Meeting

Chris Aniszczyk

Just a heads up as there seems to be some confusion here, we have a new dedicated uberconf line for CNCF:

Optional dial in number: 415-579-0198
No PIN needed

Re: next week's TOC meeting

Chris Aniszczyk

Reminder that the TOC meeting is tomorrow, here's is the formalized agenda:

I know that Alexis/Brian will be on vacation.

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 8:52 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Ken will chair next week's TOC call.  I'm on vacation.

Proposed agenda

* New Projects update
* Incubated Projects update
* Readout from Dan & Chris
* Marketecture & Example apps
* Engagement & Mission

next week's TOC meeting

Ken will chair next week's TOC call. I'm on vacation.

Proposed agenda

* New Projects update
* Incubated Projects update
* Readout from Dan & Chris
* Marketecture & Example apps
* Engagement & Mission

alexis

TOC revised schedule & f2f readout

alexis richardson

TL;DR
- no meeting this week
- moving to 2 meetings per month
- precis of f2f below

Hi all,

Thanks very much to those who came to the F2F last week at DockerCon.
The slides are here --
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1VJi3mXaYJgDICC7PIMaJnsJgY5LXwO56JZi8u1huOdc/edit#slide=id.g150431822b_1_15

The most important readout from this meeting is that the CNCF is
providing budget to help the TOC achieve our goals around docs, tests
and example apps. This is not the same as the CNCF's marketing
budget. This is great news: budgets mean we can prioritise and
execute. The budget owner is Dan Kohn, ED. We shall be working
closely with Dan over the coming months, plus his team of Chris
Aniszczyk, COO, and other LF staff including Sarah Saul. We shall
spend the coming meetings clarifying these priorities and aligning. I
welcome Dan's help in this.

A second item is that as TOC members we can spend time engaging the
community and helping the CNCF projects. I know that time is
extremely precious to you, and must be used very carefully. Let's do
more here.

To spend time better, one thing we can do is change our meeting
cadence. We can do more via email and other means. We do not need
weekly calls. In the meeting it was proposed that we change our
meeting schedule to the 1st and 3rd week of every month. Please can
we try this -- I know it's not ideal for everyone. There will be
holidays and business travel to contend with.

The meeting schedule is now:
- no meeting this week
- meeting on July 6th
- meeting on July 20th
- etc.

If anyone has significant objections to this schedule, please say so.

I am away on July 6th and 13th, and will contact people to arrange for
someone to chair the meeting in my place.

alexis

Re: TOC F2F Meeting June 21- Meeting Time Change

Sarah Saul <ssaul@...>

Friendly reminder to RSVP to me by today for the TOC F2F by 2PM PT if you haven't already.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 12:48 PM, Sarah Saul ssaul@... wrote:
Hello All,

If you're attending the F2F next week, please RSVP to me by this Friday at 2PM PT. If you've already reached out to me and received the calendar invite, you're all set.

There is also an open document that Alexis created, so please add your name directly by Friday.

Thank you,
Sarah

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 12:24 PM, Sarah Saul ssaul@... wrote:
Hello All,

The F2F TOC meeting time has changed. It will now be held from 11AM-1PM PT to avoid conflicting with the DockerCon keynote. I just sent a new calendar invite with the update timeslot. I'll update the location once I confirm with Docker on the space.

If you don't have the invite and are attending the meeting, please drop me a note so I can add you.

Best,
Sarah

Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
(M) 520-245-5185
Skype: srsaul

Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
(M) 520-245-5185
Skype: srsaul

Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
(M) 520-245-5185
Skype: srsaul

[...]

Re: no TOC call this week

alexis richardson

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 4:30 PM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
TOC,

There will be no TOC call this week.  Please use the time to prepare for the F2F @DockerCon.  Some topics for the F2F are listed in last week's slides.

The proposed topics for the face to face from last week's slides were:

1. Projects & How we help - review tests & docs, CNCF Cluster Update

2. Deliverables outside of enabling CNCF project success
Model apps as a way to clarify Cloud Native “what it is” & marketecture diagram
Clarify “Incubation” & “Development Guidelines”
What do we want from GB (and new ED) to achieve our goals

If anyone wants to table a new topic, or raise a priority, please speak up on this thread.

alexis

no TOC call this week

alexis richardson

TOC,

There will be no TOC call this week.  Please use the time to prepare for the F2F @DockerCon.  Some topics for the F2F are listed in last week's slides.  If anyone wants to table a new topic, or raise a priority, please speak up on this thread.

alexis

TOC F2F Meeting June 21- Meeting Time Change

Sarah Saul <ssaul@...>

Hello All,

The F2F TOC meeting time has changed. It will now be held from 11AM-1PM PT to avoid conflicting with the DockerCon keynote. I just sent a new calendar invite with the update timeslot. I'll update the location once I confirm with Docker on the space.

If you don't have the invite and are attending the meeting, please drop me a note so I can add you.

Best,
Sarah

Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
(M) 520-245-5185
Skype: srsaul

TOC Meeting Agenda

alexis richardson

All,

Please see:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/17QjDpilpsBFQZg045KiSujt3cefiqjmeZVrW9D1mJRQ/edit#slide=id.gd5ae4e962_2_136

Agenda:

Projects Update
Cluster Update
Quick Review: How CNCF adds value to projects
CNCF F2F planning

ttys