From: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...> On Behalf Of Ruben Orduz
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2018 8:44 AM
To: me@...
Cc: Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>; CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: Helping Projects (was Re: [cncf-toc] What's the point? (or,"What's the Emperor wearing?"))

Cannot +1 this enough. There are folks out there donating their time/sweat to projects who have to rely on pittance/donations/freelance work. This foundation has more than enough means to provide a decent sustainability bonuses/stipends to these folks.

Best,

Ruben

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 10:01 AM Jessica Frazelle via Lists.Cncf.Io <me=jessfraz.com@...> wrote:

Pay the maintainers and high contributors who don't have other means to make money.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 05:13 Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:

If you have ideas on how we can help projects more, please give us ideas here or take a look at the servicedesk where we document the services CNCF offers for projects: https://github.com/cncf/servicedesk

This was recently updated and we appreciate any feedback.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 2:08 AM, alexis richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

Jessie & Matt

Thank-you for raising and elaborating on the topic of how CNCF helps projects.

The topic was aired (again) at the last GB offsite, whose slides were shared a couple of months ago.  Here they are again as ref: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1BFEUAnbsboyRx9qh3jyRjN-V7ukZtA9-OTjIbknUBn4/edit#slide=id.g3e55b0b2a9_0_0

Personally I do not want "CNCF could do more to help projects" to be chiselled on my gravestone.  I think the TOC, Contributors and project leads can ALL show some direction here, and I think we have to do so.

And so - Jessie & Matt & anyone else!

Please could you help me & Chris do something more about this.

Let's (again) make a list of what we think Incubated & Graduated projects really need, by talking with the project leads & others.  This list needs to be in a shared public doc.  Not everyone wants the same things, but there are themes.

Such as:

* docs & project management

* community management

* project services (hosting, CI, etc)

* github wrangling

* community / contributor summits

* AR/PR help (esp: for projects that don't have 1-2 companies driving them)

* maintainer psychotherapy & creche ;-)

WDYT?

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 5:20 AM Matt Klein via Lists.Cncf.Io <mklein=lyft.com@...> wrote:

Then when
those projects need help with things the foundation can offer, money
for infrastructure, a place for shared IP it seems like it would be
obvious that they should be projects in the foundation, of course they
need to qualify etc.

Beyond neutral IP, I agree this is the most important thing the foundation provides, and IMHO CNCF does not do enough of it (there are so many things that high velocity projects need I could go on and on and on). Unfortunately, this is the area in which decisions will need to be made. There are limited funds and they will need to be allocated across the increasing portfolio of projects in the foundation, so clearly some decision criteria will need to be developed (whether based on graduation level or something else) to decide how funds are allocated and for what purpose (and unfortunately this in and of itself will involve politics).

I'm happy to see this conversation happening, as I ultimately I do believe that some level of choosing "favorites" is going to be required for the foundation to realize its full benefit to its most popular member projects.

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 10:23 AM, Jessica Frazelle via Lists.Cncf.Io <me=jessfraz.com@...> wrote:

Yeah that was what I meant with shared IP.

I think there are ways to limit the effect of gamification of the
system and I think you all have done a great job of this so far
especially with the format for sandbox projects....

I think this is more a culture problem in that, if people see the
leaders of projects and in the community pushing for more projects to
be added to the foundation at a very past pace then we have lost a
culture of "making the best tool of high quality for the job" and we
lost a culture of innovation.... we merely have the culture of
"winning". Which I am still unsure as to what people seek to win but I
digress.

Regardless, I think the right measures are in place with the sandbox
to limit kingmaking. I think the focus should now be put on promoting
(and I don't mean marketing) but leading the ecosystem to focus on
building tools that innovate technology in the cloud native space with
a high importance on quality and fostering collaboration. Then when
those projects need help with things the foundation can offer, money
for infrastructure, a place for shared IP it seems like it would be
obvious that they should be projects in the foundation, of course they
need to qualify etc.

Just my 2 cents.

--

Jessie Frazelle
4096R / D4C4 DD60 0D66 F65A 8EFC  511E 18F3 685C 0022 BFF3

--

Matt Klein

Software Engineer

mklein@...

Jessie Frazelle
4096R / D4C4 DD60 0D66 F65A 8EFC  511E 18F3 685C 0022 BFF3
pgp.mit.edu

Re: Helping Projects (was Re: [cncf-toc] What's the point? (or,"What's the Emperor wearing?"))

Matt Klein <mklein@...>

Bounties on bug fixes comes to mind.

+1. Bug bounties, pay for regular third party security audits, pay to have a white hat on staff doing security work on behalf of projects full time, etc.

 Pay the maintainers and high contributors who don't have other means to make money.

Yes. For certain types of projects such as critical libraries where it's very difficult/impossible to make money maintaining, CNCF should consider adopting those projects and helping pay maintainers to work on them, even if part time.

Even for projects in which there are other means to make money, some of us don't necessarily *want* to make money that way. We do it because, well, that is how we make money. There are real benefits for an organization like the CNCF providing fellowships to allow maintainers to remain neutral. I've written more about this here for those of you that haven't seen it:  https://medium.com/@mattklein123/the-broken-economics-of-oss-5a1b31fc0182. The recent Linus salary discussion  complicates discussion of this topic which is unfortunate because I think it's one that we increasingly need to have, but hopefully as some time passes we can come back to it.

Such as

All of the things Alexis points out. I would like to see more work on improving the GH experience around things like DCO, bots, issue management, CI, etc. I suspect there is easily a full time tooling job across all of CNCF. CI and negotiating with the vendors for the right amount of concurrency and machine types takes a lot of time. More dedicated help with docs perhaps by sourcing, hiring, and nurturing multiple full time tech writers. Basically, all of this.

--

Jessie Frazelle
4096R / D4C4 DD60 0D66 F65A 8EFC  511E 18F3 685C 0022 BFF3
pgp.mit.edu

Jessie Frazelle
4096R / D4C4 DD60 0D66 F65A 8EFC  511E 18F3 685C 0022 BFF3
pgp.mit.edu

--

Jessie Frazelle
4096R / D4C4 DD60 0D66 F65A 8EFC  511E 18F3 685C 0022 BFF3
pgp.mit.edu

--

Re: What's the point? (or,"What's the Emperor wearing?")

Alena Prokharchyk

Sandbox is a great model that enforces collaboration and cloud native ecosystem growth. But it feels that the main CNCF goal of "fostering a community around a constellation of high-quality projects" in a way contradicts the current sandbox rule - "CNCF Sandbox projects can stay in the sandbox indefinitely". Indefinite membership - even with limited CNCF investment - is not sustainable without raising a quality bar at the acceptance level and beyond. Also the reasons why the sandbox candidate is found technically interesting/innovative, what advantages it has over similar projects (having a great community qualifies too) or/and why it is considered to be a high risk, can be delivered to the CNCF community with more clarify to reduce the chances of kingmaking blame

Re: Helping Projects (was Re: [cncf-toc] What's the point? (or,"What's the Emperor wearing?"))

Ruben Orduz <ruben@...>

--

Jessie Frazelle
4096R / D4C4 DD60 0D66 F65A 8EFC  511E 18F3 685C 0022 BFF3
pgp.mit.edu

Jessie Frazelle
4096R / D4C4 DD60 0D66 F65A 8EFC  511E 18F3 685C 0022 BFF3
pgp.mit.edu

Re: Helping Projects (was Re: [cncf-toc] What's the point? (or,"What's the Emperor wearing?"))

Matt Farina

A FAQ of practical knowledge to share between projects.

A mentor program to help people who have to lead projects that are part of the CNCF.

It’s different to lead an open source project on your own or as part of a company than it is under the CNCF. When I do something on my own or as part of a company I’m not vendor neutral. As part of a company I have can get to their policies. In the CNCF keeping vendor neutrality isn’t always obvious and we don’t have easy self service access to all the CNCF/TLF policies.

This is all with my non-technical hat on and wanting to scale the org. As the number of projects go up I don’t see how Dan, Chris, and co scale without more self service and automation.

mattfarina.com

--

Jessica Frazelle <me@...>

--

--

Jessie Frazelle
4096R / D4C4 DD60 0D66 F65A 8EFC  511E 18F3 685C 0022 BFF3
pgp.mit.edu

Jessie Frazelle
4096R / D4C4 DD60 0D66 F65A 8EFC  511E 18F3 685C 0022 BFF3
pgp.mit.edu

Re: What's the point? (or,"What's the Emperor wearing?")

alexis richardson

Matt

I kicked off a new thread on the "helping projects" topic you & Jessie have homed in on.

Re: "favourites"

I think this ought to be simple:
1) Graduated & Incubated projects get lots of help & pref.
2) Sandbox get much less, and zero marketing, per the guidelines

I hope we can scale (1) in line with overall CNCF growth & budget.

I think Sandbox projects will be many, for a number of reasons that I am happy to bore everyone with.  So their budget needs to be limited.  They are not "favourites".  They may fail to get to incubation.  But, they need a neutral home & various forms of help that I think can be boxed into Categories/WGs

Incubated / Graduated projects ARE favoured.  There is real DD, and TOC care here.  The CNCF is making bets & should back them up.  "But you say you are not a kingmaker organisation", some people complain.  On the contrary - we do not pick winners, and can back more than one horse.  The clear example right now is in service mesh where we see multiple high quality projects.  There are and will be others.

--

Jessie Frazelle
4096R / D4C4 DD60 0D66 F65A 8EFC  511E 18F3 685C 0022 BFF3
pgp.mit.edu

--

Re: Helping Projects (was Re: [cncf-toc] What's the point? (or,"What's the Emperor wearing?"))

Chris Aniszczyk

--

--

Jessie Frazelle
4096R / D4C4 DD60 0D66 F65A 8EFC  511E 18F3 685C 0022 BFF3
pgp.mit.edu

--

FYI: CNCF ServiceDesk Docs Update

Chris Aniszczyk

Hey all, one of the feedback items from the last CNCF Maintainer Survey was improved documentation for the service desk used by CNCF projects:

We have recently completed this work after some beta testing / feedback from projects.

Thanks and feel free to contribute ideas on how we can help more.

--

[...]

Re: COMMERCIAL: Re: [cncf-toc] What's the point? (or,"What's the Emperor wearing?")

jesse.noller@...

+1

Agreed and well put.

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of "Jessica Frazelle via Lists.Cncf.Io" <me=jessfraz.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 5:31 PM
To: Nick Chase <nchase@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 18:04 Nick Chase <nchase@...> wrote:

First off, please take this in the sprit in which it's intended. It's
not meant to be snarky or argumentative, (though it will probably sound
that way), it's just meant to start a conversation.

I've been thinking a lot about the conversation about working groups
from this morning's meeting, and I think we're missing a fundamental issue.

What I heard was a lot of talk about how "we don't want to be
kingmakers" and "people put more importance on being a CNCF project than
they should".  Well, if being a CNCF project doesn't mean anything ...
why do it?

In my opinion the foundations role should be a space for shared IP.

And I agreed that people are putting too much importance on being in the foundation. You can do open source without a foundation. The foundations role should not be marketing projects and creating non-organic growth but helping the projects have a space to work without worrying about IP or licensing. It should also help the communities of those projects get things they need like money for CI infrastructure or other things and making sure those projects communities are healthy.

thats what a foundation is in imho.

In fact, why have a foundation at all?

If the purpose of the CNCF is just to foster cloud native computing, and
not to validate a project's existence, then why handle projects at all?
Why not just create standards, or even just recommendations, as W3C
did/does(?).

I guess what I'm saying is that while nobody likes politics -- and
believe me I DESPISE them -- if you're going to have a foundation that
is supposed to mean something, then ... it should mean something.

So my feeling is that we either bite the bullet and get tough about
letting projects in -- even if that means asking them to perhaps work
together, or create a joint API and then manage the API -- or we drop
the pretenses and just create a directory anybody can add themselves to.

See, I told you it would sound snarky, but really, I am only trying to
start the discussion.

Somebody please, tell me what I'm missing here.

----  Nick

--

Jessie Frazelle
4096R / D4C4 DD60 0D66 F65A 8EFC  511E 18F3 685C 0022 BFF3
pgp.mit.edu

Re: RFC: Dragonfly

sheng.zou@...

Really excited to see this news. It's a trend to embrace the CNCF ecosystem (k8s, docker) currently, and we are trying to build our own platform based on k8s. In image distribution part, Dragonly is the best choice for us compared with other solutions, it saves us a lot of time and efforts, and we truely believe Dragonfly will be an important role in container tech in the near future.

Looking forwarding to that day Dragonfly be a member of CNCF family, which help more people, and meanwhile make CNCF ecosystem better.

Re: Scaling TOC community while minimizing politics

alexis richardson

Matt

I agree!  These are both good areas for a Category WG to be responsible for.

One Q -- I wasn't sure what you meant by "Then, separate from the documentation effort, come up with a list of value propositions for both having a project in the CNCF and keeping it under control by some other entity. These can even serve as a checklist to see if a proposed project has it’s goals in the right place when they want to join. Do the CNCFs value props for a project help them in addition to being a cloud native project."

In any case, shall we move this to a working doc?

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 4:59 PM Matt Farina <matt@...> wrote:
I really liked the honesty around politics, companies (both big and startup), and the ways extending the community can be gamed. It’s great to see reflection on keeping things on track.

I had a few ideas to throw at the wall to see if they or a derivative stick.

1. For new projects, working groups, categories, and analysis of an area we could have a template containing the areas the TOC wants details on and an example of one being filled out. This will lead people who are doing the work in the direction the TOC wants.

For example, with a new working group there appears to be a desire for concrete measurable goals that can be tested for done. A template with an example could illustrate and communicate that.

2. The “cloud native” landscape is exploding. Big companies, startups, and everyone in between in getting going on it. This space is prone to churn. What the CNCF brings in and oversees could be considered separate from an effort to document the entire landscape as it changes. It may be worth completely separating these efforts entirely and not trying to overlap them.

For example, documenting a landscape could be a matter of coming up with criteria for inclusion and then keeping the landscape up to date for things that meet that. Then having a process to catch projects, products, and services that are no longer maintained and pruning them. Defining the category and pruning criteria is the hard part.

Then, separate from the documentation effort, come up with a list of value propositions for both having a project in the CNCF and keeping it under control by some other entity. These can even serve as a checklist to see if a proposed project has it’s goals in the right place when they want to join. Do the CNCFs value props for a project help them in addition to being a cloud native project.

These are just ideas to start a conversation.

mattfarina.com

Re: What's the point? (or,"What's the Emperor wearing?")

alexis richardson

The foundation exists to foster cloud native technology and adoption by end users

The basis for this is that certain open source projects solve problems specific to cloud native, as defined by the cncf

Being a neutral home for those projects and providing core services and help has to be the absolute baseline.  All projects however nascent have the right to ask for that.

Helping with adoption requires users and the cncf to have a conversation in which technologies are recommended, as are patterns and other best practices eg for interop, scale, what have you

If you combine the above then you need:

1. a high bar for projects that are being recommended to customers.  Incubation and graduation have a high bar.  It could be higher

2. a low bar for new (sandbox) projects that are high risk but need a neutral venue and core services

3. commitment to prune failures out of the sandbox, in a timely manner

4. clarity around this model

We continue to fail at 4.

Marketing of projects is something everyone will debate.  It is hard to separate user engagement from marketing - the activities are so similar.

I recommend review of the Sandbox marketing language.  If you feel the CNCF is handling this badly please speak out.  Sandbox is a very limited blessing but the projects are entitled to be excited about joining the Sandbox.

Today's discussion was about how we scale CNCF and the TOC.  The WGs and Categories are possible ways to federate work.  That all obviously need more thought and care.  Even if we had no sandbox we would still have to resolve this issue.

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 00:02 Joseph Jacks, <j@...> wrote:
I agree with Jessie!

On Sep 18, 2018, at 3:30 PM, Jessica Frazelle via Lists.Cncf.Io <me=jessfraz.com@...> wrote:

[...]

Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>

I agree with Jessie -- and for whatever it's worth, here were my reasons to be involved with the CNCF during its inception over three years ago:

I expanded on that ~five months later:

Three years later, that's still the appeal for me: serving our industry by serving the open source projects that represent the foundation for cloud-native infrastructure.  I think we have had some successes in that regard -- but not without our share of stumbles.  The conversation this morning was a promising start to a conversation that sorely needs to be had -- and is likely without easy answers.

       - Bryan

Joseph Jacks <j@...>

[...]

4901 - 4920 of 7324