Date

Re: F2F at DockerCon

Solomon Hykes

Alexis, I believe the Docker team has already arranged for a room for this. Are we talking about the same meeting? If so are we still going to use the room arrange for by Docker?

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 1:55 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
As things stand, some of the TOC will be at DockerCon and will gather f2f on Tuesday at 10am-12pm.  This will be an open meeting.  It will not be a meeting where voting / decisions happen because we probably won't be quorate.

Weaveworks may be able to provide a room for this (and maybe some snacks), so I'd like to get a sense of numbers.  I think we can manage up to about 20.

Re: F2F at DockerCon

Michael Richmond

I’ll be at DockerCon

michael richmond | cloud technology architect | infoblox | mrichmond@...

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Friday, June 3, 2016 at 01:55
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] F2F at DockerCon

As things stand, some of the TOC will be at DockerCon and will gather f2f on Tuesday at 10am-12pm.  This will be an open meeting.  It will not be a meeting where voting / decisions happen because we probably won't be quorate.

Weaveworks may be able to provide a room for this (and maybe some snacks), so I'd like to get a sense of numbers.  I think we can manage up to about 20.

Re: F2F at DockerCon

Brian Grant

I'll be there.

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 1:55 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
As things stand, some of the TOC will be at DockerCon and will gather f2f on Tuesday at 10am-12pm.  This will be an open meeting.  It will not be a meeting where voting / decisions happen because we probably won't be quorate.

Weaveworks may be able to provide a room for this (and maybe some snacks), so I'd like to get a sense of numbers.  I think we can manage up to about 20.

Re: "try.cncf.io"

Pini Reznik

Of course Brian.
We will just have a first call today.

On vr 3 jun. 2016 at 13:35, Brian Grant <briangrant@...> wrote:
Pini, please keep me in the loop.

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 12:28 PM, Pini Reznik via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
We are available indeed.
Will continue the conversation with Dan and Chris.

Pini

On vr 3 jun. 2016 at 12:11, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

On Fri, 3 Jun 2016, 19:05 Camille Fournier, <skamille@...> wrote:
I got connected briefly with the folks making this:

which is I think in the general ballpark.

they contacted me off list yesterday to say they are available

i connected them with Dan K

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 6:18 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Jon,

Noted, thanks.

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 11:16 AM, Jonathan Boulle <jonathan.boulle@...> wrote:
I'm not totally opposed to the try idea in principle or as an end goal - my lack of obvious enthusiasm was more about a) resources (who's going to do it?)

I think we'd want to commission a 3rd party to do work, much as we talked about for some of the docs.

and b) putting the cart before the horse - as Alexis alluded to I think we have some way to go before we have a clear enough idea of the model applications etc.

Indeed.

On 2 June 2016 at 10:25, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+1

Lee,

I agree with you on this --- i.e that "try" services help in many ways.  I was a bit surprised by the lack of buy-in during the call.  Having said that, the call was about setting an achievable number of priorities.  If we *can* get cloud native apps & patterns into shape, then it may be more obvious how to "try" them.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 5:16 PM, Lee Calcote via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
All,

Given the CNCF’s role of promulgating a general understanding of what cloud native is, specifically how the projects governed by the CNCF provide platforms and tooling for cloud native applications, I think the “try” approach to providing easy-to-use, publically-available sandboxes is a true facilitator, couching edification of cloud native in context of the CNCF projects.

The “try” sandboxes could:

  • have walk-thru tutorials that parlay and reference the “model applications” Bryan Cantrill referred to.
  • utilize part of the (idle?) 1000-node cluster for the CNCF community
  • be leveraged as a platform for training courses and developer certification
  • be a source of measuring interest, adoption, demographics

A page could be taken from these successes LinuxContainers.org and TryStack.org (I’ll through in Cisco dCloud as well).

I’m sure of the order of operations / speaking rules on the conference call. Apologies if I chimed-in out of turn today.

Cheers,
Lee

“(c) Promotion of the underlying technologies, and approach to application definition and management, including: events and conferences, marketing (SEM, direct marketing), training courses and developer certification

Pini Reznik

CTO - Container Solutions

Mobile: +31 (0) 6 317 99 811

Address: Korte Leidsedwarsstraat 12, 1017 RC Amsterdam

@pini42  www.container-solutions.com

[...]

alexis richardson

[...]

Camille Fournier

[...]

F2F at DockerCon

alexis richardson

[...]

I'm not totally opposed to the try idea in principle or as an end goal - my lack of obvious enthusiasm was more about a) resources (who's going to do it?) and b) putting the cart before the horse - as Alexis alluded to I think we have some way to go before we have a clear enough idea of the model applications etc.

[...]

highlights from today's call

alexis richardson

All,

During today's call, there was consensus that Docs & Tests were the high priority items to focus on first, re "how CNCF helps OSS projects".  Some notes on this may be found **below the fold** of slide 7 of the deck.

Two important sub-topics got vocal support from TOC members:

1. That "example apps and patterns" be an explicit deliverable in order to clarify what it means to be cloud native.
2. That the cluster and related infra was an asset we should promote & use more.

alexis

"try.cncf.io"

Lee Calcote

[...]

slides for TOC call today

alexis richardson

Re: CloudNativeDay- Last Chance to Submit a Talk

Diane Mueller

Katie,

I'd propose on the events call last week that we incorporate 2 panels on the day; one of TOC members to talk tech roadmap/vision and a second of community managers to talk about cross-community collaboration and CNCF community development opportunities..

Should I submit CFP abstracts for these as well? happy to do so if it keeps them on your radar

Diane

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 1:02 PM, Katie Schultz via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone!

Tomorrow, June 1, is the last day to submit a talk for CloudNativeDay being held in Toronto, Canada, August 25, 2016.  Please submit your talks by June 1, 11:59 pm (PDT). Click here to learn more about the Call for Papers process and to submit your talk.

Please feel free to share the above information with your network and encourage them to submit!

If you have any questions, reach out to events@....

Best,

Katie

--
Katie Schultz
Event and Meeting Planner

The Linux Foundation
One Letterman Drive
Building D, Suite D4700
San Francisco CA 94129
T: +1.720.227.8536
E: kschultz@...
W: linuxfoundation.org and events.linuxfoundation.org

The Linux Foundation Event Experience : http://youtu.be/-WUeelICQ2U

Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org

CloudNativeDay- Last Chance to Submit a Talk

Katie Schultz <kschultz@...>

[...]

slides for TOC today

alexis richardson

all,

main agenda items:
- meet the GB - Craig McLuckie to join call
- simplifying what we focus on
- projects update

Introductions

Matt T. Proud

Hi all,

I am a new face for many, so allow me to take a moment to introduce myself:

With Julius Volz I am one of the co-founders of the Prometheus project.  The inspiration for the project was borne out of frustration with the inability to be easily data oriented in throughout the entire lifecycle of software development and deployment and management.  It is pleasing to see how well the public has recognized the applicability of time series databases for this purpose in just four years' time, and likewise how productivity and confidence are enhanced through democratized data oriented tooling.

I am also a software engineer at Google.  Reflections from my time at Google served as deep inspiration for answering the question of how one could be data driven and fulfill these simple software development needs.  I had started the project while I was away from Google for a few years and independent of other business entities.  [Full disclosure: I speak privately and not on Google's behalf unless otherwise noted.]

The CNCF interests me on multiple levels.  Most notably: vision and technical alignment in the cloud space has the potential to yield tremendous benefits for its participants—I think we all recognize that.  :-)  I put the question to Alexis over a video chat this morning of how can I help and got useful suggestions, so I put the same question to you: how can I help the CNCF and you?  And do you have any other questions for me?

Looking forward to hearing from you—and pleased to meet you,

Matt

CNCF Call for Paper Deadline Reminders

Katie Schultz <kschultz@...>

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to remind you to that Call for Papers are currently open for CloudNativeDay, CloudNativeCon + PrometheusDay and KubeCon.

Deadlines for each are as follows:

  • CloudNativeDay: June 1, 2016
  • CloudNativeCon + PrometheusDay: August 5, 2016
  • KubeCon: August 5, 2016

To submit for a talk please click on the links below:

Please share the above information with your network and encourage them to submit!

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to events@....

Best,

Katie

--
Katie Schultz
Event and Meeting Planner

The Linux Foundation
One Letterman Drive
Building D, Suite D4700
San Francisco CA 94129
T: +1.720.227.8536
E: kschultz@...
W: linuxfoundation.org and events.linuxfoundation.org

The Linux Foundation Event Experience : http://youtu.be/-WUeelICQ2U

7081 - 7100 of 7326