Date

Re: RSocket Followup (post TOC meeting)

Ben Christensen

> Other than to support non-TCP transports (like UDP), which I would assume are fairly uncommon,

This is actually something we leverage in production:

- TCP for server-to-server
- WebSocket for browser-to-server
- single HTTP/2 stream treated like TCP on shared HTTP/2 connection

The need to target both WebSockets and TCP was actually a very concrete initial reason for creating RSocket, since HTTP/2 framing is not exposed in browsers or most client/server APIs. More on this is found in the Motivations doc: https://github.com/rsocket/rsocket/blob/master/FAQ.md#why-not-http2

Re: RSocket Followup (post TOC meeting)

Ben Christensen

> How much interoperability testing have you done?

We use rsocket-cpp, rsocket-js, and rsocket-java together. C++ as both client and server. JS as a client against C++ and Java, and recently starting to be a server (but that's less tested). Java as client against C++, and as server for JS.

We use TCP, WebSocket, and a single HTTP/2 stream on a shared connection in different places as the transport.

- For server-to-server we primarily use TCP.
- For browser-to-server we use WebSocket.
- For mobile-to-server we use a single H2 stream for RSocket on a potentially hared H2 connection.
- For mobile-to-server we are evaluating mapping RSocket streams onto HTTP/2 streams, while being multitenant with other protocols on the same HTTP/2 connection.
- Both approaches with HTTP/2 do not work with standard HTTP/2 APIs and only work because we expose internals of the protocol in our implementation. The mapping to H2 streams and being multi-tenant also requires custom extensions to H2 so isn't viable broadly (unless we evolve H2). And the H2 mapping does not work in browsers, so we use WebSockets there.

Re: TOC + Community Input: Cloud Native Buildpacks

Chris Aniszczyk

Thanks Alexis, I let the folks know to put together an official proposal for the sandbox:

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 10:02 AM, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
I am happy to co-sponsor.

alexis

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:45 PM, Chris Aniszczyk
<caniszczyk@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> The buildpacks.io community presented at the TOC meeting today:
> https://github.com/cncf/toc/issues/122
>
> Brian Grant is willing to sponsor this for the sandbox so we are looking for
> one more (Camille is potentially interested but needs more time to review).
> We are also seeking input from the TOC and wider community.
>
> Thank you!
>
> --
> Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719

Re: TOC + Community Input: Cloud Native Buildpacks

alexis richardson

<caniszczyk@...> wrote:
The buildpacks.io community presented at the TOC meeting today:
https://github.com/cncf/toc/issues/122

Brian Grant is willing to sponsor this for the sandbox so we are looking for
one more (Camille is potentially interested but needs more time to review).
We are also seeking input from the TOC and wider community.

Thank you!

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

Michael Hausenblas <mhausenb@...>

Michael

--
Michael Hausenblas, Developer Advocate
OpenShift by Red Hat

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
Date: Tuesday, 21 August 2018 at 11:57 PM
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 9:35 AM, Isaac Mosquera via Lists.Cncf.Io <isaac=armory.io@...> wrote:
+1 (non-binding)

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 8:29 AM, Andrew Randall <andy@...> wrote:

Andy Randall
Co-Founder, VP Business Development
Tigera
andy@... | M: +1 510-520-0999 | @andrew_randall
Follow us: Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Zero Trust Network Security & Continuous Compliance for Modern Applications

On Aug 21, 2018, at 7:57 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...g> wrote:

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

#velocity,

I S A A C  M O S Q U E R A

Chief Technology Officer

e: isaac@...

p: 703.795.5322

t: imosquera

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

Tamal Saha

-Tamal

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 7:57 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

iftach Schonbaum

+1 non-binding

Iftach Schonbaum

Senior Solution Architect

+972-52-8281751

cloudzone.io

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of 郑淮城 <huaicheng.zheng@...>
Date: Thursday, 23 August 2018 at 5:01
To: Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

+1 non-binding

郑淮城
星环信息科技(上海)有限公司
15216615728
徐汇区虹漕路88号越虹广场B11-12

发件人: <cncf-toc@...> 代表 Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
日期: 2018821 星期二 下午10:57
收件人: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

郑淮城 <huaicheng.zheng@...>

+1 non-binding

郑淮城
星环信息科技(上海)有限公司
15216615728
徐汇区虹漕路88号越虹广场B11-12

发件人: <cncf-toc@...> 代表 Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
日期: 2018821 星期二 下午10:57
收件人: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

colin@...

+1 non-binding

Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>

Just to follow up on this: after speaking with the Cortex team, I'm happy to co-sponsor them as a CNCF sandbox project!

         - Bryan

P.S.  Thanks, too, to the team for educating me as to the surprising subtitle of Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein"!

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 9:16 AM, Tom Wilkie <tom.wilkie@...> wrote:
Hello

First off: thanks for hosting our presentation today!

This is a follow up email as per Chris' suggestion, there were some questions on the chat we didn't get a chance to answer.  Also, if anyone has any other questions, feel free to fire away - and if you'd like to sponsor us... that'd be awesome!

Thanks

Tom

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

Daniel Bryant

+1 (non-binding)

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 10:57 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

Feilong Wang <feilong@...>

+1 (non-binding)

On 22/08/18 02:57, Chris Aniszczyk wrote:

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

Cheers & Best regards,
Feilong Wang (王飞龙)
Senior Cloud Software Engineer
Tel: +64-48032246
Email: flwang@...
Catalyst IT Limited
Level 6, Catalyst House, 150 Willis Street, Wellington

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

Wilson, Dan <dan.wilson01@...>

+1 non-binding

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 7:57 AM
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

Giovanni Clement

+1 nb

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 21 août 2018 à 16:57, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> a écrit :

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

Partha Seetala

Partha Seetala
Hyperconverged Kubernetes for Big Data, Databases and AI/ML

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 7:57 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

Pengfei Ni

+1 (non-binding)

Best regards.

---