Date

TOC + Community Input: Fluentd graduation

Chris Aniszczyk

As discussed on today's TOC call, the fluentd community has requested a vote to move to the graduation maturity level: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/69

The TOC has requested community feedback before moving forward for an official vote, please provide that on GitHub:

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

Sijie Guo

+1 non-binding

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 7:57 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

Suresh Krishnan

+1 (non-binding)

Suresh

On Aug 21, 2018, at 10:57 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

Ihor Dvoretskyi

+1 (non-binding)

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 5:57 PM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

Randy Abernethy

+1 nb

On 2018-08-21 07:57, Chris Aniszczyk wrote:

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

Randy Abernethy
Managing Partner
RX-M, LLC
randy.abernethy@...
o 415-800-2922
c 415-624-6447

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

Yong Tang

+1 (non-binding)

On Aug 21, 2018, at 8:13 AM, Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...> wrote:

+1 (non-binding)

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
Date: Tuesday, 21 August 2018 at 15:57
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

Justin Cormack

+1 (non binding)

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018, 16:57 Chris Aniszczyk, <caniszczyk@...> wrote:

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

Eichten, Daniel

+1 (non-binding)

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>
Date: Tuesday, 21. August 2018 at 17:13
To: Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

+1 (non-binding)

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
Date: Tuesday, 21 August 2018 at 15:57
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

adidas AG, Adi-Dassler-Strasse 1, 91074 Herzogenaurach, Germany
Amtsgericht Fürth, HRB 3868
Chairman of Supervisory Board: Igor Landau
Chief Executive Officer: Kasper Rorsted
Further Executive Board Members: Roland Auschel, Harm Ohlmeyer, Karen Parkin, Eric Liedtke, Gil Steyaert

This e-mail or any attachments may contain confidential or privileged information. Unless you are the intended recipient, you may not disclose, copy or use any information herein. If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply and delete the e-mail from your system.

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
Date: Tuesday, 21 August 2018 at 15:57
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

From: "Chris Aniszczyk" <caniszczyk@...>
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Date: 08/21/2018 10:57 AM
Sent by: cncf-toc@...

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

subhendu.ghosh@...

+1 (non-binding)

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only, may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary and subject to important terms and conditions available at http://www.bankofamerica.com/emaildisclaimer. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message.

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

Arun Gupta

[...]

TOC Agenda for 8/21/2018

Chris Aniszczyk

Here's the agenda deck:

We plan to cover a buildpacks spec project proposal, a proposal to move rook to incubation, fluentd asking for a graduation vote, a new WG proposed around security along with a backlog of reviews to discuss.

See everyone soon!

Re: apologies

Sam Lambert <samlambert@...>

I won't be able to make tomorrow either. Sorry folks.

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 3:44 AM, alexis richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
I shall be on a plane during tomorrow's TOC call.

Ken -- will you be on and can you chair please?

apologies

alexis richardson

I shall be on a plane during tomorrow's TOC call.

Ken -- will you be on and can you chair please?

CNCF Chinese style guide

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

After our success with a crowdsourced effort to translate the Cloud Native Definition, we wanted to kick off a similar effort on a Chinese style guide for cloud native terms. We want to thank KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Shanghai co-chair Janet Kuo, who began this work by correcting some of the translations we received from a service.

You can see all of the sessions for Shanghai (which will be Nov. 13-15) in English and Chinese. Please make suggestions for improved translations in the style guide, and we will then correct the schedule and share this guide will the interpreters (note that all keynotes and sessions in Shanghai will feature simultaneous interpretation).

If you'd like to discuss this guide more generally, please do it on k8s-chinese-translators@lists.cncf.io.
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com

Re: Graduation review for Fluentd

Eduardo Silva

Hi ToC and Contributors,

Fluentd project is really interested into get your feedback about our graduation request:

any feedback is appreciated.

regards,

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 10:30 PM Brian Grant via Lists.Cncf.Io <briangrant=google.com@...> wrote:
The application specifically addressed the graduation criteria, which was helpful.

I posted some links to some stats relating to project health and contributor diversity. The incubation criteria also apply at graduation:

I think there's an opportunity for help from TOC contributors with these types of reviews, to pre-review the information provided, ask questions about project health and adoption, whether the projects are getting what they need from CNCF, and whatever else we feel is important.

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 7:51 AM, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
It's on queue to discuss at the next TOC meeting in terms of how we are going to handle the process.

We also have some project proposals in flight that we are tackling.

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 9:49 AM, Eduardo Silva via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hello everyone,

is there any update about when graduation reviews will happen ?

best,

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Eduardo Silva <eduardo@...> wrote:
thanks Chris for the update.

As usual please let us know if TOC requires any additional info

best

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
Hey Eduardo, the current feeling within the TOC was that everyone was slammed with the conference coming up next week to do formal reviews.

We plan to discuss the graduation review process at the TOC F2F next week and make a decision.

Thanks.

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 7:32 PM, Eduardo Silva via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hello TOC!,

Fluentd team have sent a PR with the required information for the graduation review of the project, would you please take a look at it and share some feedback ?

https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/69

thanks,

--
Eduardo Silva
Open Source, Treasure Data

Eduardo Silva
Open Source, Treasure Data
http://www.treasuredata.com/opensource

--
Eduardo Silva
Open Source, Treasure Data
http://www.treasuredata.com/opensource

Eduardo Silva
Open Source, Treasure Data
http://www.treasuredata.com/opensource

Re: RSocket Followup (post TOC meeting)

alexis richardson

Tim,

Thanks! I think we would all be interested in your reasons for liking gRPC.

alexis

On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 4:07 AM, via Lists.Cncf.Io
<tim=netflix.com@...> wrote:
I see Kailash CCd me into the thread given Netflix's experience with both
RSocket and gRPC.

It should be noted that at this point (as of roughly 6 months ago) all use
of RSocket has been completely abandoned at Netflix in favor of gRPC, and
the only team that build an app with RSocket chose to rewrite their app
leveraging gRPC and the associated components. gRPC has also allowed us to
build (and easily integrate) a suite of resilience-oriented tech, such as
our Adaptive Concurrency Limiters
(https://medium.com/@NetflixTechBlog/performance-under-load-3e6fa9a60581)
that solve the retry-storm problem with no additional client-side complexity
or configuration.

While I am not best-suited to address statements on the matrix of specific
points being discussed, if anyone has questions, I can speak to the many
usability/ergonomic, simplicity, community, and
development-velocity/productivity related reasons that ultimately led
Netflix (both the Platform team, and the users) to choose gRPC as our
microservice RPC foundation.

Tim Bozarth
Director, Platform @ Netflix

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 10:52 AM, Kailash Sethuraman <hsaliak@...>
wrote:

Adding Tim Bozarth from Netflix, who's had some practical experience
working with both gRPC and RSocket. Full thread here:
https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/topic/rsocket_followup_post_toc/24221841

+1 to a public feature comparison table.
In such a table, it will be good to figure out how to do justice to
deliberate design choices and the tradeoffs. For example, broker vs
no-broker, or choosing to base on top of http/2. Projects have valid reasons
to go one way or another, and those considerations are very beneficial for
the user to understand.

FYI : I saw a few minor misconceptions for gRPC and I have called out a
few that stood out.:
- binary - must be wrapped in protobuf. This is not necessary, though
offers a convenience. There are other formats (eg: flatbuffers) that
support gRPC service generation.
- max payload size is confiugrable
- full duplex -- not sure what this means. gRPC supports bi directional
streams.
- IPC is not protobuf only.

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 3:45 PM <colin@...> wrote:

Reading through the responses, imo this speaks to a need for a public
project feature comparison I mentioned elsewhere in this thread
(https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2192).

Re: RSocket Followup (post TOC meeting)

Timothy Bozarth <tim@...>

[...]

5481 - 5500 of 7729