Date

[VOTE] Helm project proposal (incubation)

Chris Aniszczyk

The TOC has invited Helm (https://github.com/kubernetes-helm) as an
INCUBATION level CNCF project, sponsored by Brian Grant from the TOC:
https://www.helm.sh

Helm joined the CNCF at the same time Kubernetes did as it was a
sub-project of Kubernetes at that time. Helm is seeking to become a
top-level project within the CNCF because Helm has grown up and is
taking on a life of it's own. This can be seen in the over 300
contributors to Helm, over 800 contributors to the community charts,
running a successful conference based solely on Helm
(https://helmsummitpdx-feb2018.splashthat.com/), and the unique
culture forming around Helm compared to core Kubernetes.

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project
proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/114

Re: [VOTE] Cloud Native Definition

Paul Adams <paul.adams@...>

+1 (non-binding)

On 21 May 2018 at 15:48, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
"Cloud native technologies empower organizations to build and run...

--
Dr. Paul Adams
Open Source Lead

Mobile: +49 152 3884 2958

Zalando SE
Charlottenstr. 4
10969 Berlin

Zalando SE, Tamara-Danz-Straße 1, 10243 Berlin
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 158855 B
Steuer-Nr. 29/560/00596 * USt-ID-Nr. DE 260543043
Vorstand: Robert Gentz, David Schneider, Rubin Ritter
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Cristina Stenbeck
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin

Re: [VOTE] Cloud Native Definition

Sandeep Shilawat

+1

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 12:56 PM Sri Rajagopal <sri.rajagopal@...> wrote:
+1 (non-binding)

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 6:48 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
The TOC worked with the community (i.e.,
https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2004) to craft an updated
cloud native definition:

"Cloud native technologies empower organizations to build and run
scalable applications in modern, dynamic environments such as public,
private, and hybrid clouds. Containers, service meshes, microservices,
immutable infrastructure, and declarative APIs exemplify this
approach.

These techniques enable loosely coupled systems that are resilient,
manageable, and observable. Combined with robust automation, they
allow engineers to make high-impact changes frequently and predictably
with minimal toil.

The Cloud Native Computing Foundation seeks to drive adoption of this
paradigm by fostering and sustaining an ecosystem of open source,
vendor-neutral projects. We democratize state-of-the-art patterns to
make these innovations accessible for everyone."

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full definition
is located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/117

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you

Re: [VOTE] Cloud Native Definition

Sri Rajagopal

[...]

Eduardo Silva

+1  non-binding

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 4:10 AM, Mark Coleman <mark@...> wrote:
+1 - Great work everyone

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 7:24 PM Niraj Tolia <ntolia@...> wrote:

Niraj

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 6:48 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
[...]

+31 652134960
Marketing Chair www.cncf.io

--
Eduardo Silva
Open Source, Treasure Data

Re: [VOTE] Cloud Native Definition

Mark Coleman <mark@...>

[...]

Niraj Tolia

Niraj

On 21/05/2018, 09:48, "cncf-toc@... on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk" <cncf-toc@... on behalf of caniszczyk@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Peek

+1 non-binding

On 5/21/18, 6:48 AM, "cncf-toc@... on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk" <cncf-toc@... on behalf of caniszczyk@...> wrote:

The TOC worked with the community (i.e.,
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lists.cncf.io_g_cncf-2Dtoc_message_2004&d=DwIBaQ&c=uilaK90D4TOVoH58JNXRgQ&r=guabfC-f8fFYbN_-NG4ozDvopr9AE_oGI5dhoTYxMKY&m=cAJAtPVHRRR7bsMiiI4IcBy6teVxqUQm1nDUdwo6HVA&s=yNJvs5GSZITMRbyshMOxBD5Zsl2g14jcrF3VqlVacec&e=) to craft an updated
cloud native definition:

"Cloud native technologies empower organizations to build and run
scalable applications in modern, dynamic environments such as public,
private, and hybrid clouds. Containers, service meshes, microservices,
immutable infrastructure, and declarative APIs exemplify this
approach.

These techniques enable loosely coupled systems that are resilient,
manageable, and observable. Combined with robust automation, they
allow engineers to make high-impact changes frequently and predictably
with minimal toil.

The Cloud Native Computing Foundation seeks to drive adoption of this
paradigm by fostering and sustaining an ecosystem of open source,
vendor-neutral projects. We democratize state-of-the-art patterns to
make these innovations accessible for everyone."

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full definition
is located here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_cncf_toc_pull_117&d=DwIBaQ&c=uilaK90D4TOVoH58JNXRgQ&r=guabfC-f8fFYbN_-NG4ozDvopr9AE_oGI5dhoTYxMKY&m=cAJAtPVHRRR7bsMiiI4IcBy6teVxqUQm1nDUdwo6HVA&s=VtUIIc-CkfmqvbiuzZ260n2qd_UowbM5-vnahRVc8j4&e=

Re: [VOTE] Cloud Native Definition

Derrick Kittler

+1 nb

[d]
Derrick Kittler
Chief Architect, Northeast
derrick@... || 413-441-3289

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 9:48 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
[...]

Daniel Bryant

+1 (non-binding)

Great to see this come together!

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 2:48 PM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
[...]

Santosa, Andy <asantosa@...>

-Andy

On 5/21/18, 6:48 AM, "cncf-toc@... on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk" <cncf-toc@... on behalf of caniszczyk@...> wrote:

The TOC worked with the community (i.e.,
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.cncf.io%2Fg%2Fcncf-toc%2Fmessage%2F2004&data=02%7C01%7Casantosa%40ebay.com%7Cdcd136bee2b34c3bb7b508d5bf217bc3%7C46326bff992841a0baca17c16c94ea99%7C0%7C1%7C636625072881670861&sdata=6ZbZlaIlroHPxWM3SBTyi5bMVyJbfTOKkKNi%2BRHxRRc%3D&reserved=0) to craft an updated
cloud native definition:

"Cloud native technologies empower organizations to build and run
scalable applications in modern, dynamic environments such as public,
private, and hybrid clouds. Containers, service meshes, microservices,
immutable infrastructure, and declarative APIs exemplify this
approach.

These techniques enable loosely coupled systems that are resilient,
manageable, and observable. Combined with robust automation, they
allow engineers to make high-impact changes frequently and predictably
with minimal toil.

The Cloud Native Computing Foundation seeks to drive adoption of this
paradigm by fostering and sustaining an ecosystem of open source,
vendor-neutral projects. We democratize state-of-the-art patterns to
make these innovations accessible for everyone."

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full definition
is located here: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fcncf%2Ftoc%2Fpull%2F117&data=02%7C01%7Casantosa%40ebay.com%7Cdcd136bee2b34c3bb7b508d5bf217bc3%7C46326bff992841a0baca17c16c94ea99%7C0%7C1%7C636625072881670861&sdata=wsK9s96dX0WeHLtePkUmEcWwWvV4mgISycdvf6uozII%3D&reserved=0

Re: [VOTE] Cloud Native Definition

Zhipeng Huang

+1 (non-binding) good to see this get into shape :)

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 11:34 AM, vongosling <fengjia10@...> wrote:
+1 (non-binding)

Very glad to see the refined definition polish :-)

Best Regards,
Von Gosling, Apache RocketMQ Co-creator, Linux OpenMessaging Founder

在 2018年5月21日,21:48,Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@linuxfoundation.org> 写道:

--
Zhipeng (Howard) Huang

Standard Engineer
IT Standard & Patent/IT Product Line
Huawei Technologies Co,. Ltd
Office: Huawei Industrial Base, Longgang, Shenzhen

(Previous)
Research Assistant
Mobile Ad-Hoc Network Lab, Calit2
University of California, Irvine
Office: Calit2 Building Room 2402

OpenStack, OPNFV, OpenDaylight, OpenCompute Aficionado

Re: [VOTE] Cloud Native Definition

vongosling

+1 (non-binding)

Very glad to see the refined definition polish :-)

Best Regards,
Von Gosling, Apache RocketMQ Co-creator, Linux OpenMessaging Founder

在 2018年5月21日,21:48,Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> 写道:

Re: [VOTE] Cloud Native Definition

dsxiao@...

+1, Non Binding

Gou Rao <grao@...>

[...]

CNCF Reference Architecture Update

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

In November 2016, the TOC approved this reference architecture.

It's best known for being the basis of the cloud native landscape and interactive landscape.

Ken Owens is starting an effort to revise the document. It is unlikely to need to be an actual working group, but we created a (public) mailing list to have a place to discuss things. We also have a Doodle poll for when to hold a twice a month meeting.

If you're interested in participating, please join the mailing list.
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com

Re: [VOTE] Cloud Native Definition

Kamezawa Hiroyuki

+1 (non-binding)

The TOC worked with the community (i.e.,
https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2004) to craft an updated cloud
native definition:

"Cloud native technologies empower organizations to build and run scalable
applications in modern, dynamic environments such as public, private, and
hybrid clouds. Containers, service meshes, microservices, immutable
infrastructure, and declarative APIs exemplify this approach.

These techniques enable loosely coupled systems that are resilient,
manageable, and observable. Combined with robust automation, they allow
engineers to make high-impact changes frequently and predictably with minimal
toil.

The Cloud Native Computing Foundation seeks to drive adoption of this paradigm
by fostering and sustaining an ecosystem of open source, vendor-neutral
projects. We democratize state-of-the-art patterns to make these innovations
accessible for everyone."

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full definition is
located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/117

Remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate non-binding
votes from the community as a sign of support!

Re: [VOTE] Cloud Native Definition

Justin Garrison <justinleegarrison@...>

+1 nb

While I agree with the non-definition concerns I also don't think a strict definition is helpful or useful for the CNCF, its communities, or the companies looking to join to support its efforts. I like where this ended up and THANK YOU to Brian for all of your patience and iterations on seeing this through.

--
Justin Garrison
justingarrison.com

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 12:14 PM Brian Grant via Lists.Cncf.Io <briangrant=google.com@...> wrote:
On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 9:14 AM Christian Posta <christian.posta@...> wrote:
-1 non-binding

Not seeing a definition here, honestly.

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 6:48 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
The TOC worked with the community (i.e.,
https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2004) to craft an updated
cloud native definition:

"Cloud native technologies empower organizations to build and run
scalable applications in modern, dynamic environments such as public,
private, and hybrid clouds.
"cloud-native technologies" in this sentence uses the adjective "cloud native"  to describe technologies, but without a definition...

Containers, service meshes, microservices,
immutable infrastructure, and declarative APIs exemplify this
approach.

Shows some examples of this "cloud-native thing".. but still no definition...

These techniques enable loosely coupled systems that are resilient,
manageable, and observable. Combined with robust automation, they
allow engineers to make high-impact changes frequently and predictably
with minimal toil.

Some more benefits of this cloud-native thing, but still no definition....

This is the core of the definition. These are engineered attributes and required properties rather than accidental side effects.

The Cloud Native Computing Foundation seeks to drive adoption of this
paradigm by fostering and sustaining an ecosystem of open source,
vendor-neutral projects. We democratize state-of-the-art patterns to
make these innovations accessible for everyone."

Vision statement for CNCF....

Mission, yes. This is intended to update the following section:

1. Mission of the Cloud Native Computing Foundation.
The Foundation’s mission is to create and drive the adoption of a new computing paradigm that is optimized for modern distributed systems environments capable of scaling to tens of thousands of self healing multi-tenant nodes.

Cloud native systems will have the following properties:

(a) Container packaged. Running applications and processes in software containers as an isolated unit of application deployment, and as a mechanism to achieve high levels of resource isolation. Improves overall developer experience, fosters code and component reuse and simplify operations for cloud native applications.

(b) Dynamically managed. Actively scheduled and actively managed by a central orchestrating process. Radically improve machine efficiency and resource utilization while reducing the cost associated with maintenance and operations.

(c) Micro-services oriented. Loosely coupled with dependencies explicitly described (e.g. through service endpoints). Significantly increase the overall agility and maintainability of applications. The foundation will shape the evolution of the technology to advance the state of the art for application management, and to make the technology ubiquitous and easily available through reliable interfaces.

Maybe I'm missing it and I apologize!

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full definition
is located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/117

Christian Posta
twitter: @christianposta

Re: [VOTE] Cloud Native Definition

[...]