Date

Re: TOC Agenda for 3/19/2018

Chris Aniszczyk

oh... and by 3/19/2018 I meant 3/20/2018, the CNCF TOC meeting is tomorrow :)

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 10:27 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
Here's the draft agenda deck for tomorrow: https://goo.gl/PpznT7

We'll be welcoming NATS (incubation) to CNCF, along with OPA/SPIFEE and sandbox projects, discussing sandbox guidelines v1.0, working group creation process, update on reference architecture and opening it up to the community for questions as I believe we have a light agenda compared to normal.

Also Alexis sends his regrets.

See everyone tomorrow!

TOC Agenda for 3/19/2018

Chris Aniszczyk

Here's the draft agenda deck for tomorrow: https://goo.gl/PpznT7

We'll be welcoming NATS (incubation) to CNCF, along with OPA/SPIFEE and sandbox projects, discussing sandbox guidelines v1.0, working group creation process, update on reference architecture and opening it up to the community for questions as I believe we have a light agenda compared to normal.

Also Alexis sends his regrets.

See everyone tomorrow!

Re: [VOTE] linkerd moving to incubation

Re: [VOTE] linkerd moving to incubation

Nikolay Pshenichnyy

+1 (non-binding)

Linkerd is an excellent service mesh proxy!

Re: [VOTE] linkerd moving to incubation

Daniel Bryant

+1 (non-binding)

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 5:28 PM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
The linkerd team has requested a move to the incubation level: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/86

You can see the project statistics here: https://linkerd.devstats.cncf.io/ and the linkerd project believes they meet the incubation criteria requirements:

- Used successfully in production by at least three independent end users of sufficient scale and quality: https://github.com/linkerd/linkerd/blob/master/ADOPTERS.md
- Have a healthy number of committers: https://github.com/linkerd/linkerd/blob/master/MAINTAINERS.md
- Demonstrate a substantial ongoing flow of commits and merged contributions: https://github.com/linkerd/linkerd/releases and https://github.com/linkerd/linkerd/graphs/contributors

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full incubation proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/86

Re: [VOTE] linkerd moving to incubation

alexis richardson

thank-you for the detailed summary, George!

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 8:22 PM, Georgi Khomeriki <g.khomeriki@...> wrote:
+1 (non binding)

Linkerd provides a mature and production-ready implementation of a service
mesh. There are several areas where its architecture has considerable
benefits over currently available alternatives. For example, linkerd's
plugin-based architecture provides extensibility of the data plane that
allows for much more customized integrations into pre-existing architectures
compared to alternatives that allow customization via remote API contracts.
Although the JVM overhead is a downside, there are many use-cases where
linkerd is a great fit.

On 16 March 2018 at 13:18, Zack Angelo <zack.angelo@...> wrote:

+1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE] linkerd moving to incubation

g.khomeriki@...

+1 (non binding)

Linkerd provides a mature and production-ready implementation of a service mesh. There are several areas where its architecture has considerable benefits over currently available alternatives. For example, linkerd's plugin-based architecture provides extensibility of the data plane that allows for much more customized integrations into pre-existing architectures compared to alternatives that allow customization via remote API contracts. Although the JVM overhead is a downside, there are many use-cases where linkerd is a great fit.

On 16 March 2018 at 13:18, Zack Angelo <zack.angelo@...> wrote:
+1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE] linkerd moving to incubation

Zack Angelo <zack.angelo@...>

+1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE] linkerd moving to incubation

Dan Richelson

+1 (non-binding)

Linkerd is legit with a great core team and supporting community!

Re: [VOTE] linkerd moving to incubation

Ruben Orduz <ruben@...>

+1 (non-binding)

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 12:07 AM, Chris Short via Lists.Cncf.Io <chris=chrisshort.net@...> wrote:
0 non-binding

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 21:02 Justin Garrison <justinleegarrison@...> wrote:
​-1 non-binding

I think linkerd does a great job helping applications gain resilience from the network proxy and it has done an amazing 🙌 job and educating users and gaining production usage. I don't see linkerd as a product having as much traction going forward and have a hard time seeing more development diversity going forward. The resource requirements of it and the pattern of a hostcentric proxy have trade-offs that I don't think reinforce the other patterns and products the CNCF has promoted as cloud native.

--
Justin Garrison
justingarrison.com

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 8:25 PM, Joseph Jacks <jacks.joe@...> wrote:

Re: [VOTE] linkerd moving to incubation

Chris Short

[...]

Brandon Dimcheff <brandon@...>

+1 non-binding

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 11:46 PM vongosling <fengjia10@...> wrote:
+1 (non binding)

Also have a the same question, any plans to diversify that in the future ? I am glad to integrate linkerd with Apache RocketMQ 5.0 deeply :-)

Best Regards,
Von Gosling, Apache RocketMQ Co-founder, Linux OpenMessaging Founder

在 2018年3月16日,02:08,Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> 写道:

+1 (non binding)

Impressive production adoption!
I notice that 95%+ of code is contributed by current Buoyant employees.  Any plans to diversify that in the future?  To be clear, this is not a pre-requisite for incubation.

Re: [VOTE] linkerd moving to incubation

vongosling

+1 (non binding)

Also have a the same question, any plans to diversify that in the future ? I am glad to integrate linkerd with Apache RocketMQ 5.0 deeply :-)

Best Regards,
Von Gosling, Apache RocketMQ Co-founder, Linux OpenMessaging Founder

在 2018年3月16日,02:08,Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> 写道:

+1 (non binding)

Impressive production adoption!
I notice that 95%+ of code is contributed by current Buoyant employees.  Any plans to diversify that in the future?  To be clear, this is not a pre-requisite for incubation.

Re: [VOTE] linkerd moving to incubation

Joseph Jacks <jacks.joe@...>

+1 (non-binding)

Re: Kuberhealthy for CNCF Sandbox

Chris Aniszczyk

Thanks Eric, but let's please keep this discussion to the GitHub issue you already opened:

To enter the sandbox, you will need to present to the TOC and find at least two TOC sponsors.

I also advise you read the TOC principles on the types of projects we are looking for in CNCF:

Since this project isn't even open source, it's hard to have a discussion but let's please keep the conversation on GitHub.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 9:12 PM, Greer, Eric <eric.greer@...> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I gave a presentation today at the Kubernetes community meeting about Kuberhealthy: https://youtu.be/tvP_HPFteKI?t=41

Kuberhealthy is a synthetic monitoring tool for Kubernetes clusters that has been developed internally at Comcast, but we really want to see it donated to the CNCF as a sandbox project.  I have read the sandbox documentation agreed upon recently, but I would like to know what more I need to provide before this can be voted on.

The source code for this is not currently available to the public because there are some contentions with the project name.  I talked with Dan from the LF and he let me know that naming won't be an issue provided the rights are signed over to the CNCF.  If we get a green light as a sandbox project, then I think it might be best to initially publish the code directly to a public repository owned by the CNCF.  If we need the project to be open sourced prior to a vote, then I will need to go through the process of releasing it as a different name (and possibly re-branding all the code?) within the Comcast open source repository prior to again re-branding and moving within the CNCF.  I'm happy for any recommendations from the CNCF on the best way to handle all this.

Here is the link to the slides from the presentation: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1tL80i7VTBUlDs5KXy7TBZcHVX45lFST2cmmE3oyjYWc/edit?usp=sharing

If I can or should provide any more information, please let me know.  Thanks!
Eric Greer

Kuberhealthy for CNCF Sandbox

Greer, Eric

[...]

William Morgan

Thanks! And those are just the public ones. :)

Re: code percentages. This is a side-effect of where the project started, but we definitely want to diversify and I expect that it will happen naturally over time. E.g. we've had a couple non-Buoyant folks who have done major bits of work over the past year (and we've been expanding the maintainers list to reflect that).

-William

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 11:08 AM, Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
+1 (non binding)

Impressive production adoption!
I notice that 95%+ of code is contributed by current Buoyant employees.  Any plans to diversify that in the future?  To be clear, this is not a pre-requisite for incubation.

Quinton Hoole

Technical Vice President

America Research Center

2330 Central Expressway, Santa Clara, CA 95050

Tel: 408-330-4721   Cell: 408-320-8917   Office # E2-9

Email: quinton.hoole@...   ID#Q00403160

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@linuxfoundation.org>
Date: Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 10:28
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] linkerd moving to incubation

The linkerd team has requested a move to the incubation level: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/86

You can see the project statistics here: https://linkerd.devstats.cncf.io/ and the linkerd project believes they meet the incubation criteria requirements:

- Used successfully in production by at least three independent end users of sufficient scale and quality: https://github.com/linkerd/linkerd/blob/master/ADOPTERS.md
- Have a healthy number of committers: https://github.com/linkerd/linkerd/blob/master/MAINTAINERS.md
- Demonstrate a substantial ongoing flow of commits and merged contributions: https://github.com/linkerd/linkerd/releases and https://github.com/linkerd/linkerd/graphs/contributors

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full incubation proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/86

Re: [RESULT] NATS project proposal ACCEPTED (incubation)

NASSAUR, DOUGLAS C <dn283x@...>

Awesome work team. Great stuff.

Regards, Doug

On Mar 15, 2018, at 10:12 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:

+1 TOC binding votes (8 / 9):

- Sam Lambert: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1845
- Alexis Richardson: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1847
- Camille Fournier: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1874
- Solomon Hykes: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1882
- Jonathan Boulle: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1883
- Ken Owens: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1889
- Ben Hindman: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1890
- Brian Grant: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1891

+1 non-binding community votes:

- Chris Short: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1844
- Ginger Collison: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1846
- Alex Chircop: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1848
- Jessica Frazelle: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1849
- Lee Calcote: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1850
- Christian Posta: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1851
- Eduardo Silva: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1852
- Michael Hausenblas: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1853
- Derrick Kittler: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1854
- Quinton Hoole: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1855
- Michael Cwienczek: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1856
- Dustin Kirkland: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1857
- Andy Santosa: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1858
- Louis Fourie: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1859
- Patrick Chanezon: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1860
- Gou Rao: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1861
- JJ (Jeyappragash): https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1862
- Nick Chase: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1863
- Randy Abernethy: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1864
- Justin Cormack: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1865
- Mark Peek: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1869
- Justin Cappos: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1870
- Dino Dai Zovi: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1871
- Daniel Bryant: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1873
- Dan Wilson: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1875
- Doug Davis: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1878
- Duncan Johnston-Watt: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1884
- Haim Helman: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1887
- Richard Hartmann: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/1888

We'll be working with the NATS community over the next few weeks to welcome them to the CNCF project family. Thanks again to everyone who voted and participated in the due diligence process: https://github.com/cncf/toc/blob/master/process/due-diligence-guidelines.md

Finally, please welcome the NATS community!

Re: [VOTE] linkerd moving to incubation

drbarker@...

+1 (non-binding)

Dan Barker

Chief Architect

National Association of Insurance Commissioners

1100 Walnut St. Suite 1500

Kansas City, MO 64106

816-783-8669