Brian Grant

Suggested topic:

Stateful cloud-native applications

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 9:46 AM, Katie Stern via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hello CNCF TOC-

A part of the project's overall strategy, CNCF has begun rolling out a series of events to gather the ecosystem in support of the project's mission.

Alexis has asked that I circulate the draft CFP to gather your input on the topics and categories that you'd like to see represented in the conference program at CloudNativeCon in Seattle at the beginning of November. We're also open to additional information that you'd like to see included in the form.

Please review and provide feedback by the end of the week. The goal is to publicly launch on Monday to continue the momentum we've already amassed in support of this event.

Regards,

Katie

--
Katie Stern
Director of Event Services

Re: CloudNativeCon CFP

Julius Volz

Hi,

Are the separate First Name and Last Name fields needed besides the Full Name field? This concept doesn't apply well to some international names:

Cheers,
Julius

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 6:46 PM, Katie Stern via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
[...]

Michael Richmond

The form looks reasonable.

A paragraph of text giving context for Cloud Native Con and a link to the CNCF website/mission statement would help. This paragraph could replace the line “Submit a Proposal to Speak at CloudNativeCon | Seattle 2016” if the page title is updated to make it clear that this page is for submitting speaking proposals for CloudNativeCon.

It is striking that the suggested topic list does not reference any VM-based technologies.

Presumably the CFP Open date will be updated before the CFP goes live.

Regards,
Michael Richmond

michael richmond | cloud technology architect | infoblox | mrichmond@...

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Katie Stern via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 09:46
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] CloudNativeCon CFP

[...]

T: 407-967-1858 (Pacific Timezone)
E: kstern@linuxfoundation.org
W: linuxfoundation.org and events.linuxfoundation.org

Re: VOTE: Prometheus

Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>

YES.

         - Bryan

On May 4, 2016 8:14 AM, "Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc" <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
TOC voters,

Please indicate your vote on the acceptance of Prometheus as a CNCF project by saying YES or NO.  Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement.

“The TOC has accepted Prometheus into the CNCF. Prometheus is now an Incubated Project at the CNCF. The TOC will work with the Prometheus community to finalize the project governance model.”

Re: CloudNativeCon CFP

Sarah Novotny <sarahnovotny@...>

Hi Katie,

Since people may land at the CFP without any context, I'd recommend that we put a paragraph ahead of the bulleted list that explains the CNCF definition of "Cloud Native".

Sarah

[...]

Chenxi Wang

+1

Chenxi

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 8:14 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
TOC voters,

Please indicate your vote on the acceptance of Prometheus as a CNCF project by saying YES or NO.  Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement.

“The TOC has accepted Prometheus into the CNCF. Prometheus is now an Incubated Project at the CNCF. The TOC will work with the Prometheus community to finalize the project governance model.”

Chenxi Wang, Ph.D.
Chief Strategy Officer, Twistlock
@chenxiwang
+1.650.224.7197

CloudNativeCon CFP

Katie Stern <kstern@...>

[...]

Re: CNI discussion - actions

Brian Grant

Great. Hopefully it will prove helpful.

In general, github is optimized for small, single-purpose repos (to the extent that it's optimized for anything).

If you move your documentation to a repo named containernetworking.github.io, then you'll be able to manage your doc site more easily.

You might also consider creating a separate repo just for issues.

And maybe another if you want to have a wiki.

More generally, I'm not sure if there is a "guide to using github effectively for advanced users / large projects", but such a thing would be useful.

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Stefan Junker <stefan.junker@...> wrote:
Brian,

Thanks for your suggestion which has been put into action already!
The CNI project is now the lonesome member of the "containernetworking"
organization on Github [1].

We (the CNI maintainers) are still very interested in working more
closely with the CNCF and are happy to receive further technical and
organizational feedback.

Best Regards
Stefan

[1]: https://github.com/containernetworking/cni

On 04/27/2016 08:35 PM, Brian Grant wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 8:02 AM, Stefan Junker via cncf-toc
> <cncf-toc@... <mailto:cncf-toc@...>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I’m one of the maintainers of CNI. I was on the CNCF call yesterday
>     during which understood only TOC members should state their opinion, so
>     I decided to just listen and write down my thoughts afterwards.
>
>     Although CNI is a small project it has been around for a while, and
>     since I joined, the goal has transitioned away from the initial
>     statement which was still captured in the README. Shortly after the call
>     I submitted a small but significant change [1] which I hope will clarify
>     the position of the project.
>
>     We, the maintainers, don’t want to make CNI a blessed standard. Instead,
>     we hold great value in the specification that has already allowed many
>     projects to use the flexible plugin system for developing and
>     interconnecting simple to complex container networking solutions.
>
>     Our hope is that the CNCF provides a stable, vendor-neutral brand and
>     home to foster these values, so that even more developers feel
>     comfortable to help improve the quality of existing code and upstream
>     their plugin code.
>

> As a next step, for now, if you'd like to create a more neutral brand, I
> recommend moving the project to its own github org. Practically
> speaking, that would make the project easier to manage, also.
>

>     Thanks for your attention! I will also be happy to answer any questions
>     that the TOC has about the project.
>
>     Stefan Junker
>
>     [1]: https://github.com/appc/cni/pull/186

Re: VOTE: Prometheus

alexis richardson

We have six votes!  Keen to see if we can make it nine ;-)

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 5:12 PM Brian Grant <briangrant@...> wrote:
YES

[...]

Elissa Murphy <elissam@...>

Yes.

Please indicate your vote on the acceptance of Prometheus as a CNCF project by saying YES or NO.  Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement.

“The TOC has accepted Prometheus into the CNCF. Prometheus is now an Incubated Project at the CNCF. The TOC will work with the Prometheus community to finalize the project governance model.”

alexis

Re: VOTE: Prometheus

Kenneth Owens (kenowens) <kenowens@...>

YES

Kenneth Owens
CTO
Cisco Intercloud Services
kenowens@...
Phone: +1 408 424 0872
Mobile: +1 314 591 5708

Cisco.com

Think before you print. Think before you print.

For corporate legal information go to:

Please indicate your vote on the acceptance of Prometheus as a CNCF project by saying YES or NO.  Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement.

“The TOC has accepted Prometheus into the CNCF. Prometheus is now an Incubated Project at the CNCF. The TOC will work with the Prometheus community to finalize the project governance model.”

alexis

Re: VOTE: Prometheus

John Lawler <jlawler@...>

YES

_____________________________

Please indicate your vote on the acceptance of Prometheus as a CNCF project by saying YES or NO.  Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement.

“The TOC has accepted Prometheus into the CNCF. Prometheus is now an Incubated Project at the CNCF. The TOC will work with the Prometheus community to finalize the project governance model.”

alexis

Re: VOTE: Prometheus

alexis richardson

YES

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 4:15 PM Jonathan Boulle <jonathan.boulle@...> wrote:
YES

<cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io <mailto:cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io>> wrote:

[...]

Chris Aniszczyk

+1 (non binding)

Here's a link to the initial proposal:
http://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-proposals/2016-April/000002.html

Prometheus Proposal
  • name of project: Prometheus
  • description
    • Prometheus is an open source time series/metrics monitoring system. It features ingestion of samples via an open specification, service discovery, a powerful processing language for calculation and alerting, an alertmanager for alerting deduplication, notification dispatching and silencing, and a myriad of integrations including Kubernetes (which also supports Prometheus natively). Prometheus is designed to run in an isolated fashion with no hard network dependencies, so that it can be relied upon even in worst-case emergencies likely to happen in a complex cloud environment.
  • sponsor / advisor from TOC: Alexis Richardson
  • unique identifier: prometheus
  • license: Apache License v2.0
    • Our documentation is also Apache 2.0
  • source control repositories: https://github.com/prometheus (everything in the org). We also have https://github.com/prometheus-junkyard for obsolete code and https://github.com/promcon for the Prometheus conference (PromCon) website
  • issue tracker: GitHub
  • initial committers:
    • Core: brian-brazil, beorn7, fabxc, juliusv. All have made sustained significant contributions for 1-3 years across multiple parts of the project.
    • matttproud was an active core contributor in the first 1.5 years of the project and is now an alumnus.
    • Additionally there are developers who are lead maintainers for a limited number of special-purpose repositories: grobie for client_ruby, consul_exporter, and procfs; superq for mysqld_exporter; stuartnelson3 for promdash; sdurrheimer for promu and golang_builder (both concerned with building Prometheus components).
    • Github organisation and permissions need cleanup.
  • infrastructure requirements (CI / CNCF Cluster)
    • A partial list follows - project team is not 100% sure what is best / possible.
    • Website hosting for prometheus.io.  Could move this off GitHub. Would be handy for SSL (currently using free Cloudflare account for that).
    • CI - currently using free online services
    • Infrastructure to allow integration testing of various components would be good.
      • Other CNCF projects could test on their own infra, or Prometheus could test against CNCF projects using some shared infra (eg CNCF Cluster?).
      • Access to 10-20 largeish machines for load-testing and large-scale tests would be useful. (Thinking more ambitiously: having the node exporter installed on every node in the Cluster would enable gathering of overall stats for utilisation).
      • Some place to store sample data sets for benchmarking etc. We currently have one 200MB dataset and no good place to store it

  • external dependencies
    • We strongly believe resilience and isolation is essential for a critical monitoring system, so we have no hard dependencies for any component beyond local disk and network access. We also believe in ease of use, openness, clear boundaries and being platform agnostic so will not accept any dependencies (CNCF supported or otherwise) that’d require setup of additional systems or use of non-standard software in arbitrary non-cloud or cloud environments. For example for service discovery we currently offer Kubernetes, AWS, Azure (pending), Consul, Marathon, DNS, and two Zookeeper integrations, but you’re not required to use any of these.
    • In practice this means for an end user that the only software or systems dependency they are required to encounter is our standardisation on YAML for configuration.
    • We recommend Grafana for visualisation for new users, Apache 2.0 license, requires a SQL database (sqlite by default, postgres and mysql supported). PromDash (our own deprecated equivalent) has similar dependencies. There are other dashboarding options with no such dependencies (console templates or build your own on our APIs).
    • Building binaries/libraries locally requires only standard tools for that language (e.g. Python requires distutils, Java/JVM requires Maven, Go requires Git and make, Ruby requires bundler). The exceptions are protoc for changing the protobufs (happens extremely rarely), govendor for updating go vendoring (happens often, a clear winner has yet to emerge in this space).
    • prometheus, core binary - Go with some JS
      • Includes transitive Go dependencies
      • govendor used for vendoring (release/dependency changes)
      • github.com/jteeuwen/go-bindata (asset updates): CC0 1.0 Universal (CC0 1.0) Public Domain Dedication
      • golang.org/x/net/context: BSD 3-clause
      • gopkg.in/fsnotify.v1: BSD 3-clause
      • gopkg.in/yaml.v2/: LGPLv3 and MIT
      • github.com/vaughan0/go-ini: MIT
      • github.com/aws/aws-sdk-go: Apache 2.0
      • github.com/syndtr/goleveldb: BSD 2-clause
      • github.com/samuel/go-zookeeper: BSD 3-clause
      • github.com/miekg/dns: BSD 3-clause
      • github.com/matttproud/golang_protobuf_extensions: Apache 2.0
      • github.com/julienschmidt/httprouter: BSD 3-clause
      • github.com/influxdb/influxdb: MIT
      • github.com/hashicorp/consul: Mozilla Public License 2.0
      • github.com/golang/: BSD 3-clause
      • github.com/beorn7/perks: MIT
      • github.com/asaskevich/govalidator: MIT
      • github.com/Sirupsen/logrus: MIT
      • bitbucket.org/ww/goautoneg: BSD 3-clause - old dep still in use by some repos, should be removed from vendoring
      • bootstrap: MIT
      • bootstrap-datetimepicker: Apache 2.0
      • bootstrap3-typeahead: Apache 2.0
      • rickshaw: MIT
      • jquery: MIT
    • prometheus_cli, deprecated CLI tool, Go
      • No dependencies
    • alertmanager, Go
      • Dependencies relative to prometheus
      • github.com/cenkalti/backoff: MIT
      • github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3: MIT - cgo, so may have build challenges
      • angular: MIT
      • Kube CSS: MIT
      • Moment CSS: MIT
    • pushgateway, batch job interface, Go
      • Dependencies relative to prometheus
      • github.com/elazarl/go-bindata-assetfs: BSD 2-clause
    • client_golang, Go client
      • No dependencies relative to prometheus
      • Note that Go instrumentation will pull in protobuf and beorn7/perks
    • common, internal library, Go
      • No dependencies relative to prometheus
    • procfs, internal library, Go
      • No dependencies
    • log, internal library, Go
      • No dependencies relative to prometheus
    • client_model, library for client libraries, Go, Python, Ruby, Java (only used by client_golang?)
      • Dependencies relative to prometheus, client_golang, client_ruby
      • protoc: BSD 3-clause
    • migrate, migration tools, Go
      • No dependencies relative to prometheus
    • promu, new build infrastructure, WIP
      • TODO
    • golang-builder, new build infrastructure, WIP
      • TODO
    • utils, build infrastructure, make/bash
      • No dependencies
    • busybox, build infrastructure for producing Docker images, make/bash
      • No dependencies
    • distro-pkgs, packaging experiment, bash  - can we delete this?
      • fpm: MIT
    • nagios_plugins, alerts prometheus -> nagios, bash
      • No dependencies
    • blackbox_exporter: Go
      • Dependencies relative to prometheus
      • golang.org/x/sys: BSD 3-clause
    • node_exporter, Go
      • Dependencies relative to prometheus
      • golang.org/x/sys: BSD 3-clause
      • github.com/soundcloud/go-runit: MIT
      • github.com/kolo/xmlrpc: MIT
      • github.com/godbus/dbus: BSD 2-clause
      • github.com/coreos/go-systemd: Apache 2.0
      • Depends on FreeBSD/OpenBSD specific headers+libraries on those platforms. Cross-building with all modules is difficult due to this.
    • host_exporter
      • Just a README pointing to node_exporter
    • haproxy_exporter, Go
      • No dependencies relative to prometheus
    • mysqld_exporter, Go
      • Dependencies relative to prometheus
      • golang.org/x/sys: BSD 3-clause
      • gopkg.in/DATA-DOG/go-sqlmock.v1: BSD 3-clause
      • github.com/go-sql-driver/mysql: Mozilla Public License Version 2.0
    • consul_exporter, Go
      • Dependencies relative to prometheus
      • github.com/hashicorp/consul: Mozilla Public License Version 2.0
    • statsd_exporter, Go
      • Dependencies relative to prometheus
      • golang.org/x/sys: BSD 3-clause
      • github.com/howeyc/fsnotify: BSD 3-clause
      • github.com/stretchr/testify: MIT
      • github.com/davecgh/go-spew/: ISC
      • github.com/pmezard/go-difflib: BSD 3-clause
    • influxdb_exporter, Go
      • Dependencies relative to prometheus
      • golang.org/x/sys: BSD 3-clause
      • (influxdb vs influxdata due to github organization rename)
    • graphite_exporter, Go
      • No dependencies relative to prometheus and statsd_exporter
    • collectd_exporter, Go
      • Dependencies relative to prometheus and statsd_exporter
      • collectd.org/{api, cdtime, format, network}: ISC
    • client_java, Java
      • maven (build/release): Apache 2.0
      • jetty (testing/optional): Dual Apache 2.0/Eclipse Public License 1.0
      • log4j (optional): Apache 2.0
      • logback (optional): Dual LGPL 2.1/Eclipse Public License 1.0
      • dropwizard/codahale metrics (optional, benchmarks): Apache 2.0
      • junit (testing): Eclipse Public License 1.0
      • mockito (testing): MIT
      • mockserver-netty (testing): Apache 2.0
      • jmh (benchmarks): GPLv2
    • jmx_exporter, Java
      • Deps relative to client_java
      • jetty: Dual Apache 2/Eclipse Public License 1.0
      • snakeyaml: Apache 2.0
      • jdeb (release): Apache 2.0
    • cloudwatch_exporter, Java
      • Deps relative to client_java
      • snakeyaml: Apache 2.0
      • AWS SDK: Apache 2.0
    • client_python, Python
      • twisted (optional): MIT
    • snmp_exporter, Python
    • client_ruby
      • various Ruby gem dependencies
    • promdash, deprecated dashboard, Ruby/JS
      • Requires sqlite or mysql or postgres database
      • various Ruby gem dependencies
    • docs, website source, Markdown/Ruby/JS
      • Includes logos of companies using Prometheus, with permission
      • various Ruby gem dependencies
    • prometheus.github.io:
      • Website deployment

  • Statement on alignment with CNCF mission
    • Prometheus was created to monitor microservices-oriented, containerized dynamic environments. The Prometheus community is looking forward to putting the project on a more formal footing and fostering growth of its ecosystem.
  • Communication channels
    • #prometheus on freenode
    • prometheus-developers google group, primary mailing list discussion
    • prometheus-team google group, internal non-technical discussion (rarely used)
    • /r/prometheusmonitoring subreddit, not quite official. We post all articles we know about here, and there’s the odd user question
    • There’s a ‘prometheus’ tag on StackOverflow
    • prometheus-users Google group - held by Brian for future use
  • Website
    • prometheus.io, hosted on GitHub with CloudFlare in front
      • We wish to keep this served at this location
    • promcon.io, for the conference. Also on GitHub.
  • Release methodology and mechanics
    • For Prometheus itself this is currently being defined, releases every few months with RC process.
    • For all other components, releases performed on demand. For a handful of repos with non-trivial levels of contributions (e.g. node exporter), we’ll usually ask other devs if there’s anything they want to get in.
    • Website is automatically pushed.
  • Social media accounts
    • @PrometheusIO Twitter account, password shared via LastPass
    • @PromConIO Twitter account, password shared via LastPass (still unused)
    • There’s a Prometheus LinkedIn project with the core developers.
  • Community size and any existing sponsorship
  • What Prometheus is looking for in a Foundation
    • Key Goals
      • Driving adoption and investment in it - being “blessed” as neutral and not a one-company project - “a clear signal that the project is truly independent”.
      • Quality and brand - The companies involved into the CNCF are simply a good match and I'm sure the peer projects will be as well. Prometheus is a large ecosystem. For new users who are not monitoring experts it’s not always easy to evaluate whether it's what they need. Being part of the CNCF gives (especially new) users a good signal that Prometheus has its place in modern infrastructure stacks.
    • Marketing
      • Active “marketing” by the foundation for its projects.
      • Sponsorship of events or hosting could also be nice, although that can also be provided by various companies.
    • Core Project Governance
      • Prometheus is not a single-company project.
      • The direction of the project should still be in the hands of the original developers rather than being steered by a foundation.
      • Help to establish and enforce clear rules for project governance (who can decide what, team membership, etc.). Not a priority initially, but will become more important later on.
      • We’d hope to be with a foundation for a long period, however if the worst happened that we could split out from the foundation.
    • Help & TOC Oversight
      • Getting more people involved on a deeper technical level beyond the current community input. Particularly for new users, lots of them are used to different paradigms and end up trying fit a square peg into a round hole or are lacking basic infrastructure and want to add a bandaid in Prometheus for that. Being able to have insight that helps separate those ideas from changes that are worthwhile would be beneficial.
      • Where the core developers cannot agree among themselves, we’d actually appreciate a TOC giving us advice from the perspective of the general industry.
    • Legal
      • Assistance in any legal things, such as trademark registration
      • At some point, once enough trust is established, ownership/stewardship of most/all of the project's assets (domain, GitHub, etc.).

On Wed, May 4, 2016 8:14 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc cncf-toc@... wrote:
[...]

VOTE: Prometheus

alexis richardson

TOC voters,

Please indicate your vote on the acceptance of Prometheus as a CNCF project by saying YES or NO.  Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement.

“The TOC has accepted Prometheus into the CNCF. Prometheus is now an Incubated Project at the CNCF. The TOC will work with the Prometheus community to finalize the project governance model.”

alexis

Re: TOC call: this week & next week

Solomon Hykes

My appologies I have to skip this call.

On Wednesday, May 4, 2016, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Yes, I'm just waiting for someone to OK sharing a particular URL on the slides.

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 3:13 PM Brian Grant <briangrant@...> wrote:
Is there an agenda for today's meeting?

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 5:34 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I am going to be on a plane during next week's TOC call.  Please could a TOC member volunteer to chair the call next week?

Thank-you all for the call yesterday.  I wanted to say that I'm really pleased with how we are interacting as a group.  Yes, we have already found some things to disagree about!  But we are still getting to know each other and figuring out assumptions and expectations.  That will take a little time.  For me, what is more important is that we seem to have consensus on the priority of establishing a base of *good open source software projects*.  Perhaps I am stating the obvious there.  Yet we could so easily have picked a different battle to fight first -- something at one remove from focus on the projects.

To make sure that CNCF attracts such projects, I'd really like us to focus on the question "How can we help?"

Would it be possible to start the ball rolling on this next week?

We can return to other topics later, those being: discussion of assumptions around interoperability and 'what can be a project', plus working groups and so on.

Slides for Today's TOC Call: 5/4/16

Sarah Saul <ssaul@...>

Here are the slides/agenda for today's call.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/11jk9t_oRovx0fNoRnGInVeNn3PsaOKIb5K_c704Zwhs/edit#slide=id.gd5ae4e962_2_136

TOC Call- 5/4/16
8AM PT
Join the call: https://www.uberconference.com/ssaul