Date

Re: [VOTE] CoreDNS moving to incubation

Benjamin Hindman

+1 binding

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 8:57 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
At today's TOC call, we had the CoreDNS team perform their annual inception project review and request to move to the incubation level. You can see the project statistics here: https://coredns.devstats.cncf.io and they meet the incubation criteria requirements:

- Used successfully in production by at least three independent end users of sufficient scale and quality: seven listed in the ADOPTERS file, others may be discussed privately
- Have a healthy number of committers: six maintainers from four different companies (Google, Infoblox, Apprenda, Independent). 71 contributors in the main repository
- Demonstrate a substantial ongoing flow of commits and merged contributions: 12+ releases since joining CNCF, 489+ commits/merged PRs on the main repository since joining CNCF (81+ of those PRs are from authors other than Miek and Infoblox)

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full incubation proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/66

Benjamin Hindman
Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere

Follow Us Twitter LinkedIn Facebook YouTube

Re: [VOTE] CoreDNS moving to incubation

Gou Rao <grao@...>

+1 non binding

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 9:03 AM, alexis richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
+1 binding

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 5:02 PM, John Belamaric <jbelamaric@...> wrote:
> +1 non-binding
>
> On Feb 20, 2018, at 11:57 AM, Chris Aniszczyk
> <caniszczyk@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>
> At today's TOC call, we had the CoreDNS team perform their annual inception
> project review and request to move to the incubation level. You can see the
> project statistics here: https://coredns.devstats.cncf.io and they meet the
> incubation criteria requirements:
>
> - Used successfully in production by at least three independent end users of
> sufficient scale and quality: seven listed in the ADOPTERS file, others may
> be discussed privately
> - Have a healthy number of committers: six maintainers from four different
> companies (Google, Infoblox, Apprenda, Independent). 71 contributors in the
> main repository
> - Demonstrate a substantial ongoing flow of commits and merged
> contributions: 12+ releases since joining CNCF, 489+ commits/merged PRs on
> the main repository since joining CNCF (81+ of those PRs are from authors
> other than Miek and Infoblox)
>
> Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full incubation
> proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/66
>
> Remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate
> non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!
>
> --
> Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719

Re: [VOTE] CoreDNS moving to incubation

Bassam Tabbara <bassam@...>

+1 (non-binding)

On Feb 20, 2018, at 8:57 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:

[...]

It's also worth noting that CoreDNS announced its 1.0 release last year.

[...]

Re: RexRay follow up

Kitson, Clinton <clinton.kitson@...>

Correct Brian, REX-Ray should be transparent to end users in this space and provides an important service by helping connect apps to storage. Operators of clusters are the ones that should be very aware of it as it would provide trusted and more quality plugins that are built on top of the existing CSI spec.

REX-Ray stats: Recently REX-Ray went through some refactoring to accommodate the CSI architecture changes that needed to take place. This meant rolling in the libStorage functionality which unfortunately skews the numbers a bit. The {code} team has been primary maintainers on the framework where collaborators have mainly focused on building drivers. Other storage companies who understand the complexity involved in building a solid CSI implementation see the value and commonality that can be addressed by REX-Ray and are interested in collaborating if supported via a foundation.

Production users: Yes, REX-Ray is being used in production by some of the users listed in the slides. Up to this point, usage levels have been tied closely to production deployment of Mesos & Docker.

Sandbox: I believe the numbers and history justify incubation, but we can discuss it.

Control plane: REX-Ray used to have its own control plane (libStorage API) prior to CSI. In most recent we have made architectural changes to be adhere to CSI.  When libStorage was its control-plane, there was integration work performed to make libStorage a volume plugin and additionally to Cloud Foundry. Today, anyone who implements CSI on the cluster orchestrator side can talk with any REX-Ray plugin.

Data plane: REX-Ray is not involved in the data-plane of storage operations. It is an orchestrator and simply gets two components (local/remote storage & an OS) connected. It essentially performs the exact same steps that someone would manually perform to get these two components communicating and the reverse on tear down.

Persistent state: It is completely stateless today.

Clint Kitson
Technical Director for {code}
CNCF Governing Board Member
---
email: Clinton.Kitson@...
mobile: "+1 424 645 4116"
team: theCodeTeam.com
twitter: "@clintkitson"
github: github.com/clintkitson

Re: [VOTE] CoreDNS moving to incubation

Quinton Hoole

+1 (non-binding).

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Justin Garrison <justinleegarrison@...>
Date: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 09:26
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] CoreDNS moving to incubation

​+1 non-binding​

--
Justin Garrison
justingarrison.com

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 9:16 AM, Mark Interrante <minterrante@...> wrote:
+1 non-binding

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 9:08 AM, Ihor Dvoretskyi <ihor.dvoretskyi@...> wrote:
+1 non-binding

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 8:57 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...g> wrote:
[...]

Mark Interrante
SVP Infrastructure Engineering | Salesforce

--
-

Election Schedule for 2 TOC-selected Seats

Chris Aniszczyk

On today's TOC call, we discussed that we have two TOC-selected seats opening up for the TOC (https://github.com/cncf/toc/blob/master/process/election-schedule.md), the schedule is below:

2/20/2018: Nominations open up today (nominations by TOC members only)
3/6/2018: Nominations close EOD PT
3/7/2018: Voting begins
3/14/2018: Voting ends EOD PT
3/15/2018: Announce results

They key word here is TOC-selected (the charter empowers the TOC to select two members on their own) so an existing TOC member needs to nominate you. Please reach out to a TOC member (https://github.com/cncf/toc#members) and have them nominate you by shooting me a note.

Re: [VOTE] CoreDNS moving to incubation

Justin Garrison <justinleegarrison@...>

​+1 non-binding​

--

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 8:57 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
[...]

Brian Grant

Thanks to Clinton for presenting.

A response to Alexis's question/point about end-user benefit: I would expect it to be similar to the end-user benefit of CNI: more high-quality infrastructure options available in cloud-native environments. Not all of our projects will be used directly by users. Some may be used by other projects as components, libraries, frameworks, APIs, and so on.

Some questions about RexRay:
  • On contributors: My reading of the github stats is that there have been primarily 2 contributors over the past 6 months, both from Dell/EMC.
  • Are any of the listed users using RexRay in production?
  • Would the proposed Sandbox meet the project's need for a neutral home, at least initially?
  • Does RexRay itself include a control plane? Persistent state? If so, has it been adopted by any other project that has its own control plane?

Re: [VOTE] CoreDNS moving to incubation

Ihor Dvoretskyi

+1 non-binding

[...]

Christopher LILJENSTOLPE <cdl@...>

+1, non-binding

[...]

Final RFC: CNCF Sandbox

Chris Aniszczyk

At today's TOC call there was consensus on the CNCF Sandbox proposal is close to being ready for a formal vote. We will leave the document open for any community comments for a week and do a formal vote next week: https://goo.gl/gZhBjY

After the vote and assuming the sandbox is approved, we will resume voting on new project proposals (existing inception proposals will be slotted for the sandbox).

Thanks.

Re: [VOTE] CoreDNS moving to incubation

"Chris Aniszczyk" ---02/20/2018 08:57:36 AM---At today's TOC call, we had the CoreDNS team perform their annual inception project review and reque

From: "Chris Aniszczyk" <caniszczyk@...>
To: cncf-toc@...
Date: 02/20/2018 08:57 AM
Subject: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] CoreDNS moving to incubation
Sent by: cncf-toc@...

<caniszczyk@...> wrote:

[...]

John Belamaric

+1 non-binding

On Feb 20, 2018, at 11:57 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:

[...]

Eduardo Silva

+1 non-binding

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 10:58 AM, Lee Calcote <leecalcote@...> wrote:
+1 non-binding

On Feb 20, 2018, at 10:57 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

[...]

Open Source, Treasure Data
http://www.treasuredata.com/opensource

Re: [VOTE] CoreDNS moving to incubation

Sent by mobile; please excuse my brevity.