Date

Re: [VOTE] Vitess project proposal (incubation)

Ken Owens

+1 Binding

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018, 7:23 PM Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...> wrote:

+1 (binding)

        - Bryan

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 8:50 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:

Vitess is a MySQL-compatible data orchestrator/platform. It orchestrates management of MySQL instances and has been serving all YouTube database traffic since 2011. Vitess has grown to encompass tens of thousands of MySQL nodes. It is also used by companies such as HubSpot, Slack and Square.

The full project proposal is located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/67

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on this thread... remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!

Re: [VOTE] Vitess project proposal (incubation)

Brian Grant

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 7:28 PM, Brian Grant via Lists.Cncf.Io <briangrant=google.com@...> wrote:
To follow up on this, with some links for external confirmation:

I think some of the confusion arose due to data being sampled at different times. The original presentation to the TOC was last April, for instance.

Slack presentation from 4-5 months ago. They are contributing heavily to vitess, as can be seen from the contribution stats I just sent, and even a small fraction of traffic was non-trivial.

Stichlabs has fully migrated production to Vitess: video

BetterCloud mentions that they use Vitess on their blog.

IMO, the production usage bar is intended primarily to assess maturity and production-worthiness, and secondarily general applicability (though 3 users isn't really enough for that). I don't think maturity and production-worthiness are concerns in this case. I think better documenting production usage via case studies is something the CNCF could help with.

As with Prometheus, Envoy, and Jaegar, Vitess was developed over the last 7 years or so for Youtube's own use. It has become more relevant to other companies with the (comparatively recent) emergence of Kubernetes. If we're looking for more user-initiated projects, Vitess is one of those.

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 6:41 PM, Sugu Sougoumarane <ssougou@...> wrote:

Ah, I should have made this explicit in our slides, but here is the information to address your concerns about the graduation criteria:

The following eight companies have vitess serving production traffic:

  • YouTube

  • Slack

  • Hubspot

  • Flipkart

  • Stitch Labs

  • Square (Cash App)

  • BetterCloud

  • Quiz of Kings

Of these, engineers from the following companies have made significant contributions to the vitess code base:

  • YouTube

  • Slack

  • Hubspot

  • Flipkart

  • Square (Cash App)

  • StitchLabs

Additionally, the following companies have started making contributions, while in the process of evaluating:

  • Booking.com

  • Github

  • Pinterest (new)

There are also other companies listed in the adopters page. They are evaluating vitess with the intent to mainly use it.

Finally, there are other companies, who are involved with Vitess at various levels, that wish to remain anonymous. So, we haven’t listed them here.

Please let me know if this answers your questions, or if you have others.

On 29 January 2018 at 18:08, Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
I share Camille’s concern.

Note that the only explicit requirement in this regard w.r.t. Incubation level is as follows (from https://www.cncf.io/projects/graduation-criteria/):

  • Document that it is being used successfully in production by at least three independent end users which, in the TOC’s judgement, are of adequate quality and scope.
The proposal says this about adopters:

This is an alphabetical list of known adopters of Vitess. Some have already gone into production, and others are at various stages of testing.

Can we perhaps get some clarification about which are in production, and which are still in testing.

Sorry, this should have been brought up in the due diligence, but unfortunately got missed, by the looks of things.

Technical Vice President

America Research Center

2330 Central Expressway, Santa Clara, CA 95050

Tel: 408-330-4721   Cell: 408-320-8917   Office # E2-9

Email: quinton.hoole@...   ID#Q00403160

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Camille Fournier <skamille@...>
Date: Monday, January 29, 2018 at 17:54
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] Vitess project proposal (incubation)

Basically, I'm concerned that there are not really actual production users who also are project committers that aren't YouTube/Google.

On Jan 29, 2018 9:53 PM, "Camille Fournier" <skamille@...> wrote:
But it is not yet in prod? Bringing it to prod sounds like not.

On Jan 29, 2018 9:51 PM, "Sugu Sougoumarane" <ssougou@...> wrote:
Just got this confirmation from Hubspot: "Definitely using. Two dedicated full timers working on bringing it to prod. Three others supporting part time, plus me. We have a handful of prod clusters at this point and are starting wider scale rollout soon."

It's likely that the slides were prepared at different times, because they were on staging for a while.

On 29 January 2018 at 17:36, Camille Fournier <skamille@...> wrote:
I'm confused, is hubspot using or evaluating this product? The different slide decks seem to disagree.

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Camille Fournier <skamille@...>
Date: Monday, January 29, 2018 at 17:54
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 5:54 PM, Camille Fournier <skamille@...> wrote:
Basically, I'm concerned that there are not really actual production users who also are project committers that aren't YouTube/Google.

Committers from multiple organizations is part of the graduation criteria, not incubation criteria:

That said, growth of non-Google contributors was a concern of mine a year ago, but the situation has changed significantly over the past 9-12 months.

The last 4-5 months:

The top contributor (170 commits, which is a decent number) was from Slack, as was the 3rd-largest contributor. Also in the top 10 were contributors from Hubspot, Github, and Nozzle.

[...]

Quinton Hoole

Thanks Sugu.

That answers my question.

+1 (non-binding).

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Camille Fournier <skamille@...>
Date: Monday, January 29, 2018 at 17:54
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>

[...]

Bryan Beaudreault <bbeaudreault@...>

Hi guys,

I'm an engineer at HubSpot who was part of the decision to adopt vitess over a year ago and have contributed to the project both internally and externally. In that time we have committed numerous features and improvements, and moved along a careful process of evaluation followed by bringing Vitess to production. As Sugu said, we have multiple full time employees working on Vitess, all of which have committed code to Vitess.

In terms of our architecture, we operate microservices at HubSpot, and follow a typical pattern of different microservices getting their own database. We have over 200 separate database clusters of various sizes, each with a QA and production footprint. For the platform teams at HubSpot QA is effectively production, as we have a separate test environment where we stage changes (in total: staging, qa, then prod). Understandably, the definition of production usage should be based on actual customer usage. We have had nearly 100% of QA migrated for months now, and started the prod migration in the last month or so. At this time we have 5 production database clusters migrated to Vitess. That is a small percentage of the total, but these are real applications, powering services used by real HubSpot customers, and we treat prod as mission critical.

We will be continuing the prod rollout for a few months, but we are well past the evaluation phase. At this point we are fully committed to vitess, with production users, support staff, and active development.

Hope that helps.

Bryan

Re: [VOTE] Vitess project proposal (incubation)

Sugu Sougoumarane

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Camille Fournier <skamille@...>
Date: Monday, January 29, 2018 at 17:54
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>

[...]

Camille Fournier

On Jan 25, 2018 12:50 PM, "Chris Aniszczyk" <caniszczyk@...> wrote:

Vitess is a MySQL-compatible data orchestrator/platform. It orchestrates management of MySQL instances and has been serving all YouTube database traffic since 2011. Vitess has grown to encompass tens of thousands of MySQL nodes. It is also used by companies such as HubSpot, Slack and Square.

The full project proposal is located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/67

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on this thread... remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!

Re: [VOTE] Vitess project proposal (incubation)

Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>

+1 (binding)

        - Bryan

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 8:50 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

Vitess is a MySQL-compatible data orchestrator/platform. It orchestrates management of MySQL instances and has been serving all YouTube database traffic since 2011. Vitess has grown to encompass tens of thousands of MySQL nodes. It is also used by companies such as HubSpot, Slack and Square.

The full project proposal is located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/67

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on this thread... remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!

[RESULT] rook project proposal ACCEPTED (inception)

+1 TOC binding votes (6 / 9):

+1 non-binding community votes:

We'll be working with the rook community over the next few weeks to welcome them to the CNCF project family. Thanks again to everyone who voted and participated in the due diligence process.

Please welcome the rook community!

Agenda for upcoming CNCF meetings in Feb 2018

alexis richardson

Hi everyone

Thank-you for a very well attended and productive TOC call on Jan
16th. The next call is on Feb 6th, in eight days time. This is a
call for Agenda items from the TOC community. I propose the following
rough draft agenda for Feb - shown below. If someone proposes
something more important or pressing, that will get tabled.

alexis

Feb 6

Theme: Project Status

Tiering:
* Graduation reviews: timeline to completion
* Inception to Incubation reviews: ditto
* Discuss project tiers:
- do we want to tweak criteria for entry / promotion
Inception > Incubation > Graduation
Attic
- Mature/Stable, slower moving projects
CNCF Github Org?
- do we need a Sandbox?
idea here is for all CNCF projects to share one sandbox
for super-early stage experiments that otherwise have
gone into K8s incubator
- Sandbox == Inception?
- Sandbox is a CNCF Github Org?

Health:
* Reviews & healthchecks
what / when / how?
* Service desk
what else is needed here?
* Project TLC WG?
RFC / Volunteers

Feb 20

Theme: Working Groups

* Purpose
* Scope / Authority
* Status / Progress
* Exit Criteria

Re: [VOTE] Vitess project proposal (incubation)

shlomi.noach@...

+1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE] Vitess project proposal (incubation)

whereshallyoube@...

+1 non-binding

Re: [VOTE] Vitess project proposal (incubation)

Chakri Nelluri

+1 non-binding

On Jan 26, 2018, at 10:38 AM, Brian Grant via Lists.Cncf.Io <briangrant=google.com@...> wrote:

Trying again:

+1 binding

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 7:28 PM, Brian Grant <briangrant@...> wrote:
+1

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 9:05 AM, Benjamin Hindman <benh@...> wrote:
+1 binding

--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719

--
Benjamin Hindman
Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere

FOLLOW USTwitterLinkedInFacebookYouTube

[...]

Re: [VOTE] rook project proposal (inception)

Brian Grant

Trying again:

+1 binding

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 8:13 PM, Brian Grant <briangrant@...> wrote:
+1

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 4:34 PM, Benjamin Hindman <benh@...> wrote:
+1 binding

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 12:08 PM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...g> wrote:

Rook is an open source orchestrator for distributed storage systems running in cloud native environments: https://rook.io

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/57

Benjamin Hindman
Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere

Follow Us Twitter LinkedIn Facebook YouTube

6021 - 6040 of 7555