Date

Call for contributors: Certified K8s Application Developer program

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

Hi, CNCF is gearing up to sponsor our second curriculum, training and exam, following the successful launch of the Kubernetes Certified Administrator program last month. This course will be for application developers planning to deploy on to Kubernetes as opposed to those administering Kubernetes clusters.

If your company works with or trains end-users to deploy applications on Kubernetes (or if you are an end user), we would very much appreciate your participation. Specifically, we're looking for companies that can send an engineer to meet for 3.5 days in Austin on both sides of KubeCon + CloudNativeCon (12/4-5 & 12/9-10). We're also open to participation for only one of the two sessions.

But attendees at the curriculum development workshop will actually be the key to determining the content. If working with application developers who deploy on to Kubernetes is important to your business, please consider sending someone.

Thanks.
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io

TUF/Notary Security audit and use case

David Lawrence <david.lawrence@...>

Hey Dan,

We just came across a tool called Kolide which independently integrated notary as a library and had the resultant solution audited by NCC.

https://github.com/kolide/updater/blob/master/README.md

I thought it might be interesting to you given our talk yesterday. The NCC report is linked from the readme.

Best,

David

Agenda for 10/17/17 TOC Meeting

Chris Aniszczyk

Here's the agenda deck for the TOC meeting today: https://goo.gl/hH6fS4

We will be featuring a presentation from our CNCF GB Chair (https://www.cncf.io/people/governing-board/)
, Todd Moore with open Q&A and also hearing an update from the OpenMetrics efforts.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing everyone!

FOSDEM 2018 Monitoring & Cloud devroom - CFP

Chris Aniszczyk

FYI CNCF will be back at FOSDEM as a sponsor and devroom participant

From: 'Sarah Novotny' via Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion <kubernetes-dev@googlegroups.com>
Date: Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 6:31 PM
Subject: Kubernetes Steering Committee Election Results 2017
To: kubernetes-dev <kubernetes-dev@googlegroups.com>

please tweet with the Blog reference as you congratulate Aaron Crickenberger, Derek Carr, Michelle Noorali, Phillip Wittrock, Quinton Hoole and Timothy St. Clair

http://blog.kubernetes.io/2017/10/kubernetes-community-steering-committee-election-results.html

Kubernetes Community Steering Committee Election Results

Beginning with the announcement of Kubernetes 1.0 at OSCON in 2015, there has been a concerted effort to share the power and burden of leadership across the Kubernetes community.

With the work of the Bootstrap Governance Committee, consisting of Brandon Phillips, Brendan Burns, Brian Grant,  Clayton Coleman, Joe Beda, Sarah Novotny and Tim Hockin - a cross section of long-time leaders representing 5 different companies with major investments of talent  and effort in the Kubernetes Ecosystem - we wrote an initial Steering Committee Charter and launched a community wide election to seat a Kubernetes Steering Committee.

To quote from the Charter -

The initial role of the steering committee is to instantiate the formal process for Kubernetes governance. In addition to defining the initial governance process, the bootstrap committee strongly believes that it is important to provide a means for iterating the processes defined by the steering committee. We do not believe that we will get it right the first time, or possibly ever, and won’t even complete the governance development in a single shot. The role of the steering committee is to be a live, responsive body that can refactor and reform as necessary to adapt to a changing project and community.

This is our largest step yet toward making an implicit governance structure explicit. Kubernetes vision has been one of an inclusive and broad community seeking to build software which empowers our users with the portability of containers. The Steering Committee will be a strong leadership voice guiding the project toward success.

The Kubernetes Community is pleased to announce the results of the 2017 Steering Committee Elections. Please congratulate Aaron Crickenberger, Derek Carr, Michelle Noorali, Phillip Wittrock, Quinton Hoole and Timothy St. Clair, who will be joining the members of the Bootstrap Governance committee on the newly formed Kubernetes Steering Committee. Derek, Michelle, and Phillip will serve for 2 years. Aaron, Quinton, and Timothy will serve for 1 year.

This group will meet regularly in order to clarify and streamline the structure and operation of the project. Early work will include electing a representative to the CNCF Governing Board, evolving project processes, refining and documenting the vision and scope of the project, and chartering and delegating to more topical community groups.

Please see the full Steering Committee backlog for more details.

Re: Kubernetes Steering Committee Election Results 2017

Donald Liu

[...]

Re: TOC Contributors - Project tech due diligence

I'll comment on the PR.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 11:34 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Quinton has assembled our "how to DD" comments into a pr

https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/52

All -- feel free to comment in the issue

On Tue, 3 Oct 2017, 20:12 Alexis Richardson, <alexis@...> wrote:
I'll email you & Lachlan off list.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 8:05 PM, Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
I’m busy putting together a draft PR now, that we can iterate on.  Any input will be graciously received and included.

From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 12:02
To: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Cc: Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@linuxfoundation.org>, CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] TOC Contributors - Project tech due diligence

yes!

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 7:34 PM, Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Given how many volunteers we have to assist with technical due diligence exercises, I imagine the question of “what am I expected to do?” will come up increasingly frequently.

Should we perhaps preemptively put together a brief written set of guidelines as to how best to lead and/or contribute to a technical due diligence exercise?

Technical Vice President

America Research Center

2330 Central Expressway, Santa Clara, CA 95050

Tel: 408-330-4721   Cell: 408-320-8917   Office # E2-9

Email: quinton.hoole@...   ID#Q00403160

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@....io> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 11:30
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

just sign up here via comment: https://docs.google.com/a/linuxfoundation.org/spreadsheets/d/1kCko19aVmwbRMQdULJbGk4w2AxkjbBWuD6PUNzvQl7U/edit?usp=drive_web

the NATS proposal should be out in a week or so where we will invite all TOC Contributors to comment on / provide due diligence

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

I don't think we have a DD process yet.  If you want to help with nats i can show you what we have mostly been doing.

On Tue, 3 Oct 2017, 19:26 Lachie Evenson via cncf-toc, <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

I would like to help contribute with project tech due diligence. Before I dig in I wanted to ask if there is an established process that I can apply?

Looking here -- https://github.com/cncf/toc/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

toc - Technical Oversight Committee (TOC)

Cheers,

Lachie

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...o> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 11:30
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

[...]

Quinton Hoole

I’m busy putting together a draft PR now, that we can iterate on.  Any input will be graciously received and included.

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@....io> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 11:30
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

[...]

some of this is outlined here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#toc-contributors

I'd welcome a proposal via PR to make it clearer

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@....io> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 11:30
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

[...]

Lachlan Evenson

Perfect. Thanks. As it's my first pass at doing tech DD on a CNCF project I can document the process as I go and we can formalize that into a process. Is there value in a tech DD process?

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 11:30
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

Bassam Tabbara <bassam@...>

[...]

github.com
toc - Technical Oversight Committee (TOC)

Cheers,

Lachie

Re: Running NATS in K8s

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

Regarding cross-cloud, the project is here: https://github.com/cncf/cross-cloud/ and I will make intros as NATS goes forward.

Echoing your previous points, a lot of what the cross-cloud team spends time on is the continuous deployment packaging of projects into a chart, so if NATS moves forward on that work it will dramatically simplify what cross-cloud needs to do.

Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 1:41 PM, Bob Wise via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Peter,

Thank you.

I would advocate for building a chart for deployment on Kubernetes in the short run and an operator (much bigger job) over time.
I would advise that your team should consider the chart as first-class maintained artifact as an important step for the core NATS server as well.

My team (Samsung CNCT) have done a lot of work around charts, and happy to offer some advice/assistance.
I can connect you with our charts lead (Matt Farina) who is also one of the Kubernetes SIG Apps leads.

Noting that the pires project referenced below appears to be tested against 1.5.x. That's getting pretty old in Kubernetes releases.
If you are interested in nats-on-kubernetes CI (which I think you should be), I can also offer assistance via one of our
other team members - Aaron Crickenberger.

CNCF also has a growing cross project CI effort that we would recommend you get involved in. Chris - do we have a normal first point of contact for those interested in this?

Offer is open to anyone on the candidate project lists needing some opinionated guidance.

-Bob Wise

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 9:29 AM, Peter Miron via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
As requested on today's call.

Core NATS server on Kubernetes (with custom route generator):
https://github.com/pires/kubernetes-nats-cluster

NATS Streaming with NFS (Helm Chart):

Also, a quick note on NATS Streaming, we do have file-locked based fault tolerance today, as configured in the above example. This relies on you having trusted, replicated storage vs. the NATS server handling redundancy.

If anyone has suggestions for how to more easily configure with some of the more recent container storage specs and possibly replica sets, let us know. Happy to hear ideas. Thanks!
Pete