Date

Re: Kubernetes Steering Committee Election Results 2017

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

Correct, info on the developer seats is here: https://github.com/cncf/foundation/blob/master/gb-developer-reps.md

Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 1:58 AM, Donald Liu via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Question:
- “Early work will include electing a representative to the CNCF Governing Board”

- 5. (c) ii. b. “two Committers elected from the CNCF Projects under a process approved by the then-serving Governing Board.”?

Thanks,
Donald

On 6 Oct 2017, at 03:32, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

TOC folks,

"In case you missed it" as the modern idiom goes, please see below

[...]

Re: TOC Contributors - Project tech due diligence

I'll comment on the PR.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 11:34 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Quinton has assembled our "how to DD" comments into a pr

https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/52

All -- feel free to comment in the issue

On Tue, 3 Oct 2017, 20:12 Alexis Richardson, <alexis@...> wrote:
I'll email you & Lachlan off list.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 8:05 PM, Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
I’m busy putting together a draft PR now, that we can iterate on.  Any input will be graciously received and included.

From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 12:02
To: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Cc: Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@linuxfoundation.org>, CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] TOC Contributors - Project tech due diligence

yes!

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 7:34 PM, Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Given how many volunteers we have to assist with technical due diligence exercises, I imagine the question of “what am I expected to do?” will come up increasingly frequently.

Should we perhaps preemptively put together a brief written set of guidelines as to how best to lead and/or contribute to a technical due diligence exercise?

Technical Vice President

America Research Center

2330 Central Expressway, Santa Clara, CA 95050

Tel: 408-330-4721   Cell: 408-320-8917   Office # E2-9

Email: quinton.hoole@...   ID#Q00403160

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@....io> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 11:30
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

just sign up here via comment: https://docs.google.com/a/linuxfoundation.org/spreadsheets/d/1kCko19aVmwbRMQdULJbGk4w2AxkjbBWuD6PUNzvQl7U/edit?usp=drive_web

the NATS proposal should be out in a week or so where we will invite all TOC Contributors to comment on / provide due diligence

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

I don't think we have a DD process yet.  If you want to help with nats i can show you what we have mostly been doing.

On Tue, 3 Oct 2017, 19:26 Lachie Evenson via cncf-toc, <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

I would like to help contribute with project tech due diligence. Before I dig in I wanted to ask if there is an established process that I can apply?

Looking here -- https://github.com/cncf/toc/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

toc - Technical Oversight Committee (TOC)

Cheers,

Lachie

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...o> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 11:30
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

[...]

Quinton Hoole

I’m busy putting together a draft PR now, that we can iterate on.  Any input will be graciously received and included.

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@....io> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 11:30
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

[...]

Chris Aniszczyk

some of this is outlined here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#toc-contributors

I'd welcome a proposal via PR to make it clearer

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@....io> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 11:30
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

[...]

Lachlan Evenson

Perfect. Thanks. As it's my first pass at doing tech DD on a CNCF project I can document the process as I go and we can formalize that into a process. Is there value in a tech DD process?

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 11:30
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

Bassam Tabbara <bassam@...>

[...]

github.com
toc - Technical Oversight Committee (TOC)

Cheers,

Lachie

Re: Running NATS in K8s

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

Regarding cross-cloud, the project is here: https://github.com/cncf/cross-cloud/ and I will make intros as NATS goes forward.

Echoing your previous points, a lot of what the cross-cloud team spends time on is the continuous deployment packaging of projects into a chart, so if NATS moves forward on that work it will dramatically simplify what cross-cloud needs to do.

Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 1:41 PM, Bob Wise via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Peter,

Thank you.

I would advocate for building a chart for deployment on Kubernetes in the short run and an operator (much bigger job) over time.
I would advise that your team should consider the chart as first-class maintained artifact as an important step for the core NATS server as well.

My team (Samsung CNCT) have done a lot of work around charts, and happy to offer some advice/assistance.
I can connect you with our charts lead (Matt Farina) who is also one of the Kubernetes SIG Apps leads.

Noting that the pires project referenced below appears to be tested against 1.5.x. That's getting pretty old in Kubernetes releases.
If you are interested in nats-on-kubernetes CI (which I think you should be), I can also offer assistance via one of our
other team members - Aaron Crickenberger.

CNCF also has a growing cross project CI effort that we would recommend you get involved in. Chris - do we have a normal first point of contact for those interested in this?

Offer is open to anyone on the candidate project lists needing some opinionated guidance.

-Bob Wise

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 9:29 AM, Peter Miron via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
As requested on today's call.

Core NATS server on Kubernetes (with custom route generator):
https://github.com/pires/kubernetes-nats-cluster

NATS Streaming with NFS (Helm Chart):

Also, a quick note on NATS Streaming, we do have file-locked based fault tolerance today, as configured in the above example. This relies on you having trusted, replicated storage vs. the NATS server handling redundancy.

If anyone has suggestions for how to more easily configure with some of the more recent container storage specs and possibly replica sets, let us know. Happy to hear ideas. Thanks!
Pete

Re: Running NATS in K8s

Bob Wise

[...]

Running NATS in K8s

Peter Miron <peter.miron@...>

As requested on today's call.

Core NATS server on Kubernetes (with custom route generator):
https://github.com/pires/kubernetes-nats-cluster

NATS Streaming with NFS (Helm Chart):

Also, a quick note on NATS Streaming, we do have file-locked based fault tolerance today, as configured in the above example. This relies on you having trusted, replicated storage vs. the NATS server handling redundancy.

If anyone has suggestions for how to more easily configure with some of the more recent container storage specs and possibly replica sets, let us know. Happy to hear ideas. Thanks!
Pete

Re: [VOTE] Notary/TUF project proposal (incubation)

Mark Peek

+1

Mark

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Monday, October 2, 2017 at 8:41 AM
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] Notary/TUF project proposal (incubation)

The Update Framework (TUF) is a specification designed to solve specifically provenance and trust problems as part of a larger distribution framework. Notary is a content signing framework implementing the TUF specification in the Go language. The project provides both a client, and a pair of server applications to host signed metadata and perform limited online signing functions.

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on the full project proposal located here on GitHub: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/38

Remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!

Re: Face to face TOC meeting at Cloud Native Con / Kubecon?

Ihor Dvoretskyi

That's the best of my free slots, so +1.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 5:44 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Would 6pm Monday work well for people?

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 3:36 PM, Brian Grant <briangrant@...> wrote:
I could make the following times work:
  • Wednesday evening
  • Monday evening
  • 2pm Thursday
  • Friday afternoon
I'm going to be involved in the dev summit all day Tuesday and probably in a number of the SIG meetings (and certainly the one I lead), so other times will not work.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 4:53 AM, Dan Kohn via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
The Kubernetes Dev Summit is scheduled for all day Tuesday, 12/5. There's also an evening reception afterward. I think my recommendation is to add a public and private TOC meeting to the SIG track for Wednesday, Thursday or Friday.

Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 7:50 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Can you do kube dev summit on Tuesday afternoon?

On Tue, 3 Oct 2017, 12:10 Ihor Dvoretskyi, <ihor.dvoretskyi@...> wrote:
We've been considering an ability to set up a f2f meeting for CNCF Ambassadors in Austin, it might be a good point to extend the number of participants.

Please, note - we're also planning to set up the Kubernetes Developers Summit on Tuesday. It is strongly unlikely to make these events overlapping.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017, 1:51 PM Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hi all

Please can we organise an open F2F for all CNCF TOC, Contributors, Ambassadors and other interested humans?  This would be useful for:

* 2017 Retrospective
* What do want to achieve in 2018?
* Induction of new members into the Mysteries
* Singing the motivational Song of the Maintainers

For example, we could meet on the morning of Tuesday 5th Dec in Austin.  There is a CNCF GB meeting that afternoon.