Date

Re: Introducing "TOC Contributor" role

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

Right, TOC contributor is meant to be completely orthogonal from CNCF Ambassador, which is described here:

https://www.cncf.io/people/ambassadors/

--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@linuxfoundation.org>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io>

On Aug 22, 2017, at 17:45, Lee Calcote via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

+1 and I’m in.

Minor note - I see the inherent difference between Cloud Native Ambassadors and TOC Contributors. The nuance may not be obvious to all.

- Lee

On Aug 22, 2017, at 4:43 PM, Quinton Hoole via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

SGTM, +1 etc.

As I’ve mentioned, I am willing, and hopefully capable of contributing to the technical due diligence exercises.

Technical Vice President
<image001[12].png>
America Research Center
2330 Central Expressway, Santa Clara, CA 95050
Tel: 408-330-4721   Cell: 408-320-8917   Office # E2-9
Email: quinton.hoole@...   ID#Q00403160

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 14:39
To: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] Introducing "TOC Contributor" role

To all TOC community,

People have been asking "how can the TOC get more help to get things done?".  The TOC welcomes help from people who are both capable and willing.  Specifically we could use hands-on help with things like WGs, technical DD and content creation.

We believe that recognition is important for many reasons, and so it is proposed that "TOC Contributors" be a thing.  A sketch of this idea is here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n3c5K0S8d4iHPScFHUEEY9cIzffWfJj-mhtN8fsd570/edit?ts=5992e231

As with similar proposals we can iterate towards a vote.  Feedback via the draft doc is now solicited from the community.  Or just comment on this list: "+1", "yay, but ..", "over my dead body", etc.

Re: Introducing "TOC Contributor" role

Lee Calcote

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 14:39
To: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>

To all TOC community,

People have been asking "how can the TOC get more help to get things done?".  The TOC welcomes help from people who are both capable and willing.  Specifically we could use hands-on help with things like WGs, technical DD and content creation.

We believe that recognition is important for many reasons, and so it is proposed that "TOC Contributors" be a thing.  A sketch of this idea is here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n3c5K0S8d4iHPScFHUEEY9cIzffWfJj-mhtN8fsd570/edit?ts=5992e231

As with similar proposals we can iterate towards a vote.  Feedback via the draft doc is now solicited from the community.  Or just comment on this list: "+1", "yay, but ..", "over my dead body", etc.

alexis

Introducing "TOC Contributor" role

alexis richardson

To all TOC community,

People have been asking "how can the TOC get more help to get things done?".  The TOC welcomes help from people who are both capable and willing.  Specifically we could use hands-on help with things like WGs, technical DD and content creation.

We believe that recognition is important for many reasons, and so it is proposed that "TOC Contributors" be a thing.  A sketch of this idea is here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n3c5K0S8d4iHPScFHUEEY9cIzffWfJj-mhtN8fsd570/edit?ts=5992e231

As with similar proposals we can iterate towards a vote.  Feedback via the draft doc is now solicited from the community.  Or just comment on this list: "+1", "yay, but ..", "over my dead body", etc.

alexis

Re: Envoy

Chris Aniszczyk

The formal proposal is on GitHub now, so please put any public commentary there: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/43

If all goes well, I plan on asking the TOC to call a vote by early Sept at the latest.

Thanks.

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 6:02 PM, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Thanks Quinton - I think we're good for now with ChrisL from Tigera, and some help from Google/Istio peeps.

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 3:54 PM, Quinton Hoole via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
I can assist with the Envoy technical due diligence.

Regards

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...o> on behalf of Doug Davis via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 15:26
To: Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...g>
Cc: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>, "cncf-toc-bounces@...o" <cncf-toc-bounces@...o>, Varun Talwar <varuntalwar@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] Envoy

As for Istio vs Envoy... Istio uses Envoy under the covers so having both (eventually) in CNCF would be a nice pairing/outcome.

Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc ---08/15/2017 06:30:16 PM---Just to expand on this, we've already spoken with the Istio team about a foundation home and the dis

From: Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: Varun Talwar <varuntalwar@...>, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: 08/15/2017 06:30 PM
Sent by: cncf-toc-bounces@...

Just to expand on this, we've already spoken with the Istio team about a foundation home and the discussions went well, it's still too early for them but we've planned to revisit the discussion later this year as the Istio community grows.

We love what they are doing and of course CNCF would be a great home for them IMHO :)

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
    Ack

    I think the Istio team are evaluating their options.  It is early days - new project etc

    On Tue, 15 Aug 2017, 09:55 Justin Garrison <justinleegarrison@...> wrote:
    Speaking of Istio, do we know if there are any plans around istio being donated to the CNCF? How does that affect inclusion of envoy (I'm assuming it doesn't)? I think it's good to have complimentary projects in the CNCF but worry about customer confusion as the projects get closer to end users. IMO containerd/rkt don't matter much to end users because they are not (usually) implementing them directly, but linkerd/istio may cause more confusion.

    I know linkerd can be integrated under istio but it's not the default just as rkt under Kubernetes is available but not default.

    I'm all in favor of envoy as part of the CNCF. I just wanted to voice my concerns.

    --
    Justin Garrison
    justingarrison.com

    On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
      kicking off a thread in case TOC community have questions or comments on Envoy

      I have copied matt

      Envoy next steps:
      - alexis & ken follow up re sponsoring formal proposal & DD
         - talk to end users
         - talk to istio re prometheus/envoy; also: opentracing
         - identify TOC contributors to help with DD

Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719_______________________________________________

Re: Envoy

alexis richardson

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@....io> on behalf of Doug Davis via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 15:26
To: Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>, "cncf-toc-bounces@....io" <cncf-toc-bounces@....io>, Varun Talwar <varuntalwar@...>

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Doug Davis via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 15:26
To: Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
Cc: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>, "cncf-toc-bounces@..." <cncf-toc-bounces@...>, Varun Talwar <varuntalwar@...>

From: Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: Varun Talwar <varuntalwar@...>, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: 08/15/2017 06:30 PM
[...]

New version of Cloud Native Landscape

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

You may be interested in the new version of the CNCF Cloud Native Landscape. As always, if you see something wrong, please open at issue at https://github.com/cncf/landscape:

--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@...>

Doug Davis <dug@...>

From: Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: Varun Talwar <varuntalwar@...>, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: 08/15/2017 06:30 PM
[...]

Reminder: CNCF Working Groups

Chris Aniszczyk

Since I've had some folks recently reach out about working group meeting time confusion, I just wanted to remind folks all info is located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc#working-groups along with a public gcal which is the source of meeting time truth: https://goo.gl/eyutah

In terms of recent updates, the Storage WG (https://github.com/cncf/wg-storage) has been working on a landscape of cloud native storage projects: https://goo.gl/vPZMjk

If you're interested in serverless, the Serverless WG (https://github.com/cncf/wg-serverless) is meeting later today and has been working on a lexicon and position document: https://goo.gl/5wQRzH

Re: [swg]OpenSDS presentation yesterday

Benjamin Hindman

Thank you for presenting Howard!

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 5:10 PM, Zhipeng Huang <zhipengh512@...> wrote:
Hi folks,

You could find the slides I presented yesterday at https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1mpf2PL5IQdBxEk9uhSyzyCkH2ooGQBF64B5yAdIvCVI/edit?usp=sharing .

--
Zhipeng (Howard) Huang

Standard Engineer
IT Standard & Patent/IT Product Line
Huawei Technologies Co,. Ltd
Office: Huawei Industrial Base, Longgang, Shenzhen

(Previous)
Research Assistant
Mobile Ad-Hoc Network Lab, Calit2
University of California, Irvine
Office: Calit2 Building Room 2402

OpenStack, OPNFV, OpenDaylight, OpenCompute Aficionado

--
Benjamin Hindman
Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere

[swg]OpenSDS presentation yesterday

Zhipeng Huang

[...]

Re: Cross-cloud

Quinton Hoole

+1 – Awesome progress HH and Denver (and whomever else was involved).

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 11:07
To: Dan Kohn <dan@...>, "Kitson, Clinton" <Clinton.Kitson@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] Cross-cloud

Can I add: "thank you, and good work!"

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017, 09:31 Dan Kohn via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
The cross-cloud team would be happy to repeat their presentation and be available for more in depth questions if you'd like to invite them to do so at a future Storage SIG WG. https://github.com/cncf/wg-storage#meeting-minutes

--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@...>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io/>
tel:+1-415-233-1000

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 12:26 PM, Kitson, Clinton <Clinton.Kitson@...> wrote:
Thanks for the offer Dan.

This is very timely as I am working with the CI group in K8s Storage SIG focused on building a broader testing strategy for storage functionality. I will be connecting them up to this initiative and further investigating what can be done.

Clint Kitson
Technical Director
{code} by Dell EMC
CNCF Governing Board Member