Date

Re: Cross-cloud

alexis richardson

Can I add: "thank you, and good work!"

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017, 09:31 Dan Kohn via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
The cross-cloud team would be happy to repeat their presentation and be available for more in depth questions if you'd like to invite them to do so at a future Storage SIG WG. https://github.com/cncf/wg-storage#meeting-minutes

--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@...>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io/>
tel:+1-415-233-1000

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 12:26 PM, Kitson, Clinton <Clinton.Kitson@...> wrote:
Thanks for the offer Dan.

This is very timely as I am working with the CI group in K8s Storage SIG focused on building a broader testing strategy for storage functionality. I will be connecting them up to this initiative and further investigating what can be done.

Clint Kitson
Technical Director
{code} by Dell EMC
CNCF Governing Board Member
---
mobile: "+1 424 645 4116"
team: codeDellEMC.com
twitter: "@clintkitson"

From: Dan Kohn [dan@...]
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 9:06 AM
To: cncf-toc@...
Cc: Denver Williams; Chris McClimans; Kitson, Clinton
Subject: Cross-cloud

Hi, thanks to the cross-cloud team for their presentation today.

Lots more detail is available at https://github.com/cncf/cross-cloud/ and I encourage you to reach out here or to open an issue on the repo if you have additional thoughts or ideas.

I wanted to respond to Clint's question about testing Prometheus on Kubernetes with specific storage setups. Clint, if you are interested in forking cross-cloud and adding additional testing configurations (behind a flag), we would be happy to work with you on accepting a pull-request.

Thanks.
--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@...>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io/>
tel:+1-415-233-1000

Re: Envoy

Matt Klein <mklein@...>

Thanks all for having me! Here is the link to the Envoy v2 API project: https://github.com/lyft/envoy-api

We are probably 1 month or so away from basic parity with the v1 JSON APIs.

Please let me know if any of you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Matt

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Ack

I think the Istio team are evaluating their options.  It is early days - new project etc

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017, 09:55 Justin Garrison <justinleegarrison@...> wrote:
Speaking of Istio, do we know if there are any plans around istio being donated to the CNCF? How does that affect inclusion of envoy (I'm assuming it doesn't)? I think it's good to have complimentary projects in the CNCF but worry about customer confusion as the projects get closer to end users. IMO containerd/rkt don't matter much to end users because they are not (usually) implementing them directly, but linkerd/istio may cause more confusion.

I know linkerd can be integrated under istio but it's not the default just as rkt under Kubernetes is available but not default.

I'm all in favor of envoy as part of the CNCF. I just wanted to voice my concerns.

--
Justin Garrison
justingarrison.com

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
kicking off a thread in case TOC community have questions or comments on Envoy

I have copied matt

Envoy next steps:
- alexis & ken follow up re sponsoring formal proposal & DD
   - talk to end users
   - talk to istio re prometheus/envoy; also: opentracing
   - identify TOC contributors to help with DD

Matt Klein
Software Engineer
mklein@...

Re: Envoy

alexis richardson

[...]

DD is due diligence!

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017, 09:50 Richard Li <richard@...> wrote:
+1. We've deployed Envoy into production ourselves, and we also have folks using our API Gateway (Ambassador) built on Envoy.

We're happy to help in any way. Not sure what "DD" stands for?

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
[...]

Richard Li

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@linuxfoundation.org>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io/>
tel:+1-415-233-1000

Re: Cross-cloud

Kitson, Clinton <Clinton.Kitson@...>

Thanks for the offer Dan.

This is very timely as I am working with the CI group in K8s Storage SIG focused on building a broader testing strategy for storage functionality. I will be connecting them up to this initiative and further investigating what can be done.

Clint Kitson
Technical Director
{code} by Dell EMC
CNCF Governing Board Member
---
email: Clinton.Kitson@...
mobile: "+1 424 645 4116"
team: codeDellEMC.com
Hi, thanks to the cross-cloud team for their presentation today.

Lots more detail is available at https://github.com/cncf/cross-cloud/ and I encourage you to reach out here or to open an issue on the repo if you have additional thoughts or ideas.

I wanted to respond to Clint's question about testing Prometheus on Kubernetes with specific storage setups. Clint, if you are interested in forking cross-cloud and adding additional testing configurations (behind a flag), we would be happy to work with you on accepting a pull-request.

Thanks.
--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@...>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io/>
tel:+1-415-233-1000

Cross-cloud

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

Hi, thanks to the cross-cloud team for their presentation today.

Lots more detail is available at https://github.com/cncf/cross-cloud/ and I encourage you to reach out here or to open an issue on the repo if you have additional thoughts or ideas.

I wanted to respond to Clint's question about testing Prometheus on Kubernetes with specific storage setups. Clint, if you are interested in forking cross-cloud and adding additional testing configurations (behind a flag), we would be happy to work with you on accepting a pull-request.

Thanks.
--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@...>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io/>
tel:+1-415-233-1000

Envoy

alexis richardson

kicking off a thread in case TOC community have questions or comments on Envoy

I have copied matt

Envoy next steps:
- alexis & ken follow up re sponsoring formal proposal & DD
   - talk to end users
   - talk to istio re prometheus/envoy; also: opentracing
   - identify TOC contributors to help with DD

TOC Agenda for 8/15/17

Chris Aniszczyk

I hope everyone has been enjoying the summer, here's the agenda deck for 8/15:

In particular, we will be hearing from the Envoy (https://github.com/lyft/envoy) project and hearing a read out from the CNCF CI WG on their cross cloud testing efforts (https://github.com/cncf/cross-cloud).

We will also be discussing the Notary project proposal (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/38) and asking for any final comments on a CNCF project/maintainer survey.

Thanks and look forward to chatting with everyone!

Call for Action: CloudNativeCon + KubeCon call for papers 8/21 deadline

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

Please reach out to colleagues and engineers in your company and push them to submit a talk for CloudNativeCon + KubeCon which will be in Austin from 12/6-8. The deadline is two weeks away: 8/21.

Submission is at https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/cloudnativecon-and-kubecon-north-america/program/cfp but I'm including suggested topics below for inspiration.

2017 Suggested Presentation Topics:

Suggested KubeCon Topics:

  • Advanced scheduling use cases

  • Complicated networking at scale

  • Cool new tech and how it can be used with Kubernetes

  • Cutting-edge technical use cases

  • Deploying and using Kubernetes in production in the enterprise

  • Developer workflows using git push-to-service in production

  • Kubernetes + IoT

  • Load balancing

  • Managing persistence storage in Kubernetes

  • Orchestrating multi-host, multi-container, distributed applications

  • Running multi-site, hybrid, distributed applications

  • Unique use cases and how Kubernetes helped your team/company

  • Using Kubernetes to manage and secure your application infrastructure

  • Using Kubernetes with configuration management

  • Using Kubernetes with continuous integration, testing and continuous deployment

  • Using Kubernetes with software defined networking

Suggested CloudNativeCon Topics:

  • Cloud native technology in production

  • Containers: Use-cases, using containers in production, developing with containers

  • Developer workflows using containers and cloud native technology

  • Orchestration (e.g. Kubernetes, Mesos, Swarm, Nomad)

  • Stateful cloud native applications

  • Unique cloud native technology use cases

  • Microservices in production (e.g., gRPC)

  • Using cloud native technology to manage your infrastructure

  • Cloud native logging

Suggested Fluentd Topics:

  • Log aggregation patterns

  • Distributed logging in Production

  • Use cases of Fluentd or Fluent Bit

  • Best practices for better performance on logging

  • Fluentd internals and core development

  • Extending Fluentd or Fluent Bit

  • Log forwarding

  • Security

Suggested Prometheus Topics:

  • Integrating with Prometheus

  • Prometheus use case reports

  • Prometheus fundamentals and philosophy

  • Prometheus internals and core development

  • Using Prometheus

Suggested OpenTracing Topics:

  • Distributed tracing in production

  • Distributed tracing via OpenTracing and proxies like Envoy/linkerd

  • Going beyond single transactions: how to understand distributed traces in the aggregate

  • Tracer implementations (e.g., Zipkin, Appdash, Jaeger)

  • Tracing into web/mobile clients

  • Transparent tracing across user – container/kernel boundary (e.g., Sysdig)

  • Experiences / war stories with instrumentation of large existing codebases

  • Experiences with substantial OSS OpenTracing integrations (RPC frameworks, clients)

Suggested gRPC Topics:

  • Monitoring and Tracing of gRPC services

  • Large polyglot gRPC deployment experience

  • gRPC + IOT

  • REST and gRPC together with gateways

  • Use of streaming grpc apis

  • gRPC and load balancing: Experience with proxy based/client side lb and service discovery

  • Forward and Backward compatibility of APIs

Suggested Linkerd Topics:

  • Linkerd in production! Use cases, user stories, war stories

  • CNCF project glue! Linkerd + Prometheus, Linkerd + Kubernetes, Linkerd + Zipkin, Linkerd + Fluentd, Linkerd + gRPC

  • Linkerd for security! Cross-service TLS and cert management

  • Linkerd for integration! Bridge Kubernetes, Mesos, Amazon ECS, OpenStack, ZooKeeper, etc

  • Linkerd with Istio! Using Istio APIs to drive a Linkerd fleet

  • Linkerd everywhere: Ingress, egress, and intra-cluster traffic

  • Ultramodern system design: Linkerd, Kubernetes, and gRPC

  • Cloud smash: hybrid cloud, multi cloud, and failover-to-cloud with Linkerd

Suggested CoreDNS Topics:

  • Experience with production deployments of CoreDNS:

  • For Kubernetes service discovery

  • As a Kubernetes federation DNS provider

  • In non-Kubernetes environments

  • Use cases for CoreDNS in K8s and other Cloud Native environments

  • Discussions of use cases for specialized middleware

  • How to Build a CoreDNS Middleware

  • CoreDNS integration with Prometheus, OpenTracing, gRPC and other CNCF projects

Suggested Containerd Topics:

  • Using containerd directly to manage containers

  • How containerd is used in Docker

  • How containerd is used in Kubernetes via CRI

  • Building specialized container based systems with containerd, Moby and LinuxKit

Suggested rkt Topics:

  • pod-native patterns and production workloads reports

  • Kubernetes and rkt: rktnetes, CRI and other sig-node topics

  • rkt internals, architecture and design analysis

  • rkt beyond namespaces (KVM, Xen, etc.)

  • integrating rkt with external supervisors and orchestrators

  • Linux containers security aspects (seccomp, selinux, virtualization, etc.)

Reminder: This is a community conference — so let's try to avoid blatant product and/or vendor sales pitches.

--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@...>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io/>
tel:+1-415-233-1000

Re: WG-Serverless - draft whitepaper

Doug Davis <dug@...>

yup - we have a placeholder for that type of topic and its on our todo list - but I don't think we have anything in the doc yet. So, watch this space.... :-)

Alexis Richardson ---08/07/2017 10:49:15 AM---Thanks Doug Main ask on call last week was to zoom in more on Interoperability. How

From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
To: Doug Davis <dug@...>, cncf-toc@...
Date: 08/07/2017 10:49 AM
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] WG-Serverless - draft whitepaper

Thanks Doug

Main ask on call last week was to zoom in more on Interoperability.  How can cncf add value here?

On Mon, 7 Aug 2017, 05:41 Doug Davis via cncf-toc, <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Re: WG-Serverless - draft whitepaper

alexis richardson

Thanks Doug

Main ask on call last week was to zoom in more on Interoperability.  How can cncf add value here?

On Mon, 7 Aug 2017, 05:41 Doug Davis via cncf-toc, <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

All,
sorry I missed the call last week, was on vacation. Ken mentioned that I should send out a link to the latest version of the whitepaper, so here it is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UjW8bt5O8QBgQRILJVKZJej_IuNnxl20AJu9wA8wcdI/edit?ts=59831b77#heading=h.yiaul8is1ki
There are still quite a few things that need to be cleaned-up but any early comments/feedback are welcome.

thanks
-Doug Davis

WG-Serverless - draft whitepaper

Doug Davis <dug@...>

All,
sorry I missed the call last week, was on vacation. Ken mentioned that I should send out a link to the latest version of the whitepaper, so here it is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UjW8bt5O8QBgQRILJVKZJej_IuNnxl20AJu9wA8wcdI/edit?ts=59831b77#heading=h.yiaul8is1ki
There are still quite a few things that need to be cleaned-up but any early comments/feedback are welcome.

thanks
-Doug Davis

Final RFC on Notary project proposal

Please comment on their project proposal on GitHub, if there are no formal objections to calling a vote, I plan on doing it late next week.

Re: FYI: CNCF Project "Service Desk"

Brian Grant

This sounds great. Looking forward to it. Thanks!

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 7:23 AM, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
At the CNCF Governing Board strategy offsite on 7/28, Alexis presented the following slides on behalf of the TOC: https://goo.gl/8QLjK6

The Governing Board and CNCF staff was very supportive of his request for more transparency in regards to the services CNCF offers (and which projects use those), along with a consistent process for projects to request services (a service desk potentially via GitHub issues).

We plan to roll this out over the next month and will discuss this more at the TOC meeting today too if there any questions.

FYI: CNCF Project "Service Desk"

Chris Aniszczyk

At the CNCF Governing Board strategy offsite on 7/28, Alexis presented the following slides on behalf of the TOC: https://goo.gl/8QLjK6

The Governing Board and CNCF staff was very supportive of his request for more transparency in regards to the services CNCF offers (and which projects use those), along with a consistent process for projects to request services (a service desk potentially via GitHub issues).

We plan to roll this out over the next month and will discuss this more at the TOC meeting today too if there any questions.

TOC Agenda for 8/1/17

Chris Aniszczyk

Here's the TOC deck for tomorrow at 8am PT: https://goo.gl/ehtgts

We will be hearing from the Jaeger project (https://github.com/uber/jaegerand the Serverless WG (https://github.com/cncf/wg-serverless) along with some updates from the last strategy offsite help by the CNCF GB.

Thanks and see everyone tomorrow!

Call for Action: One month to become a Founding Kubernetes Certified Service Provider

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

In early September, CNCF will be announcing the founding class of Kubernetes Certified Service Providers (KCSPs). If your company provides professional services to support Kubernetes deployments, please consider signing up to become part of the founding class.

The main benefits of becoming a KCSP are:
* Placement in a new section at the top of https://kubernetes.io/partners/
* Monthly private meetings with cloud native project leaders, TOC members, and representatives from the CNCF Governing Board
* Access to leads from end users looking for support

Requirements are:
* Three or more engineers who pass the Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA) exam
* Demonstrable activity in the Kubernetes community including active contribution
* A business model to support enterprise end users, including putting engineers at a customer site

The CKA exam is about to enter early release beta testing prior to the public release in September. It is an online, proctored, performance-based test that requires solving multiple issues from a command line. It takes 3 to 4 hours to complete, and costs $300, though a discount is available for beta testers to $100.

If your company is interested in becoming a KCSP, please do the following 4 things:

1. Ensure that your company is listed at https://kubernetes.io/partners/ and if not (or if the listing should be updated), please do so via the link at the top of that page.

2. Have 3 or more of your Kubernetes experts sign up for the beta test at: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd9-6nL5L3SzWIddCSPoKeuX_Pdq_KHI8C4mQzcUryP-gu0dQ/viewform . Please have them use their company email so we can properly associate them. Within a week, we will send beta test dates, a discount coupon code, and instructions to register and schedule.

Questions or issues? Please email cncf-kcsp-support@... .
--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@...>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io/>