Re: Cloud Native Infrastructure book

Gianluca Arbezzano <gianarb92@...>

Hello all

I started to write something under a title "Docker in production" but my first idea was to produce something about how to manage modern and scalable distributed systems. After few months I realized that I can not do that alone and I decided to release some chapters (that was already written) as whitepapers.

I am still looking around to have the opportunity to write something about these topics, I am ready to write a book alone but I am open to taking part with some chapters.
This seems a good opportunity. Just ping me if you like.

Gianluca

Hi all

I have encouraged Justin to post here because I think this is worthy
of promotion within the group & community.  "PTAL" as they say!

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 9:19 PM, Justin Garrison via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@...> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm working on a book with O'Reilly on Cloud Native Infrastructure. The book
> is focusing on general practices and ideas for how you should set up your
> infrastructure to manage cloud native applications. It will show examples
> with CNCF projects but I hope to not go too in depth (1-2 chapters per
> project) so I can still reference other books/resources if readers want to
> dig deeper into a project. The book isn't targeting a single cloud and I
> hope to keep the design principles as generic as possible so readers can
> replicate the ideas in any cloud including on-premises.
>
> The reason I'm emailing the list is I'm going to need some help (this is my
> first book). Thank you everyone who has already reached out to me and
> offered assistance. I'll reply as soon as I'm able to. Right now I'm looking
> for the following resources.
>
> Co-author: I believe, and Brian from O'Reilly agrees, having a co-author
> could help the process for areas I'm not strong in, getting more immediate
> feedback, and obviously sharing the load of writing a book. The book is
> going to be a 6-8 month commitment. If anyone is interested or has
> suggestions for someone they'd recommend please have them email me.
> Reference resources: white papers, case studies, and other books on
> infrastructure design. I've already read a lot of books/papers on the
> subject but I'm sure there's some I've missed. The Linux Foundation is also
> working on making their case studies available for the book. Let me know if
> you have any favorites so I can make sure I reference them.
> Example applications for each project focus. I don't plan to build one giant
> application throughout the book but rather focus on one small application
> per chapter and explain why a certain project/idea is beneficial to have. An
> example would be something that sends a lot of logs and show examples of why
> fluentd implements log collection in a cloud native way vs relying on
> syslog.
>
> I have already submitted the book proposal and am moving forward with the
> project but haven't actively started writing. I'm still gathering/organizing
> thoughts and information. If anyone has resources they'd be able to share
> please send them.
>
> Thank you for any help you can provide and I'm sure I'll be asking the
> community for more reviews and feedback in the coming months.
>
> --
> Justin Garrison
> justingarrison.com

Gianluca Arbezzano