Re: [EXTERNAL] [cncf-toc] What do we mean by “Version 1.0”?

Michelle Noorali

+1 imo a graduated project should have some documented backward compatibility guarantees and semantic versioning helps denote this. It has been a best practice on all the projects I've worked on. I'd be supportive of adding a criteria around stability and defining what that means and recommending using a semantic version to denote this for graduation.

From: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Liz Rice via lists.cncf.io <liz=lizrice.com@...>
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2021 12:26 PM
To: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [cncf-toc] What do we mean by “Version 1.0”?

Hi folks,

Someone I spoke with today said something along the lines “if <this project> is stable, why is it still at v0.something?” and that got me thinking - does it make any sense to expect Graduated projects to be at v1.0 or above?

I know this is easily gamed, in the sense that project maintainers can release any version number they like, but let’s set that aside for now and assume that maintainers are well intentioned. I wonder if the signals that are sent by releasing a v1.0 are similar to what Graduation means?

(I have not checked the version numbers of existing graduated projects)

Thoughts?