Re: Istio Steering Committee

alexis richardson

Correct, I think that model is overly prescriptive to recommend for every project.

I'm proposing a pattern that can be instantiated in more than one way, depending on what the project team think it needs.  Your model below could be one way.

On Tue, 1 Sep 2020, 21:58 Matt Wilson, <msw@...> wrote:
On Tue, Sep  1, 2020 at 01:33 PM, alexis richardson wrote:

> Well, the nomenclature isn't completely new.  But I think the practices
> include novel parts eg end users having a say in overall direction.

End users having a say in overall direction isn't novel. To me, the
communities and ecosystems that are the most resilient and sustainable
mindfully include everyone in the evolution of the software, and of
the working structure of the community / ecosystem around it.

Perhaps you are suggesting is that end-users having a *binding vote*
in a fixed-Seat governing body, where formal voting happens most often
by convening the holders of those seats at an appointed time, at
which having 60% of the Seats shall constitute a quorum?

I don't think that's the kind of Steering Committee you are
proposing. But that kind of Steering Committee exists in the world,
with spotlights shining on it.

--msw