Re: Istio Steering Committee

alexis richardson

I think you are creating a strawman argument.  We are not substituting one form of governance for another.

The issue is how SCs can add value eg direction, participation, and user confidence that features won't be withheld.   I think Matt offered an example of a project, Helm, where the SC complements, at org level, the repo level project governance.

During the summer break it occurred to me that many of the advantages i could envisage in adding SCs would be achieved if the notion of Maintainer was broadened to include non coding people.  But you still get benefit from org level direction over the top.

Fwiw, i don't believe in imposing or forcing things either.  Apologies if I have given that impression.

On Tue, 25 Aug 2020, 20:13 Josh Berkus, <jberkus@...> wrote:
On 8/25/20 12:10 PM, Alexis Richardson wrote:
> Josh, please disentangle your feelings about istio from the constructive
> discussion i can see you want to have.

Then pick a better example of a steering committee.

I don't know of a single example of a steering committee successfully
evolving otherwise broken leadership within a project.  Maybe you do?
I've never seen it in practice.

Josh Berkus
Kubernetes Community
Red Hat OSPO