Re: Istio Steering Committee

Kris Nova <kris.nova@...>

I see - well good on them for getting a steering committee in that case!

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 12:04 PM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
It isn't but it has aspects we can learn from (good and bad) as do other projects (eg apache kafka to name one).

This thread is specifically about steering committees, and what they can help with especially governance over direction.  And avoiding open core feature withholding.

Istio just launched a Steering Committee and that's why it is relevant.

On Tue, 25 Aug 2020, 20:00 Kris Nova, <kris.nova@...> wrote:
Excuse my ignorance here - but I thought Istio wasn't a CNCF project? Is there an official statement anywhere on where Istio landed? I am confused why I am seeing Istio threads like this if it's not a CNCF project? Or maybe it is? I honestly have no idea.

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 11:52 AM Josh Berkus <jberkus@...> wrote:
On 8/25/20 1:42 AM, alexis richardson wrote:

> Istio is highlighting some benefits of an SC model
>
> 1. Applies across whole 'broad' project not just repo level
> 2. Encourages diversity via non coding SC members, eg as Dan says you
> can also write .md files
> 3. Focus on overall direction on behalf of end users and community
> (avoiding the open core problems we see in other cases)

The Istio SC is a serious political problem, and the project has ongoing
governance issues.  Why would we want to emulate this with CNCF projects?

An SC can be useful to a project that is large enough to warrant it, but
it isn't a cure for projects with problematic governance.  A project
with broken governance will just end up with a broken SC.

Josh Berkus
Kubernetes Community
Red Hat OSPO

--