Re: Istio Steering Committee

alexis richardson

Josh, feel free to highlight the negative aspects of Istio's history and governance on another thread.  I may well join you.  But please let's also give them credit for moving forward with improvements.  As i said in the email you quoted, their SC illustrates some of the positives.  I never said it is a panacea!

On Tue, 25 Aug 2020, 19:52 Josh Berkus, <jberkus@...> wrote:
On 8/25/20 1:42 AM, alexis richardson wrote:

> Istio is highlighting some benefits of an SC model
>
> 1. Applies across whole 'broad' project not just repo level
> 2. Encourages diversity via non coding SC members, eg as Dan says you
> can also write .md files
> 3. Focus on overall direction on behalf of end users and community
> (avoiding the open core problems we see in other cases)

The Istio SC is a serious political problem, and the project has ongoing
governance issues.  Why would we want to emulate this with CNCF projects?

An SC can be useful to a project that is large enough to warrant it, but
it isn't a cure for projects with problematic governance.  A project
with broken governance will just end up with a broken SC.

Josh Berkus
Kubernetes Community
Red Hat OSPO