KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam is taking place March 30 to April 2 as planned


Rabi Abdel
 

Hello All,

 

Facts:

  • Companies are issuing/issued global travel bans to un-essential travel with immediate effect (including my own company).
    • It is matter of weeks (if not days) that many other companies will follow suite.
  • Countries are banning public gathering of more than 5K attendees.
    • it is matter of weeks (If not days) in my opinion that the Netherlands introduces this too.

 

A Simple Question needs to be answered ASAP:

  • In case Netherlands  issues a ban in public gathering, and this can happen one day before the conference  (not in the hands of CNCF to decide on) what are the options?
    • Cancel? Will this mean refunding all those who paid?
    • Postpone? To what date?
    • Virtual Attendance? (an opportunity to put technology to test)?
    • How Plan B (if any) will be communicated?

Yours,

Rabi

 

 

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Dan Garfield <dan@...>
Date: Monday, 2 March 2020 at 04:25
To: "jacopo@..." <jacopo@...>, "kerkhove.tom@..." <kerkhove.tom@...>, "raravena80@..." <raravena80@...>, "sarah@..." <sarah@...>
Cc: "Susanne.Stroppel@..." <Susanne.Stroppel@...>, "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>, "huang@..." <huang@...>, "myankovskiy@..." <myankovskiy@...>, "psharma@..." <psharma@...>, "roger.klorese@..." <roger.klorese@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] [cncf-gb] KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam is taking place March 30 to April 2 as planned

 

For some reason, I’m not on this distribution list but Raziel was kind enough to forward it to me.

 

I agree with Andreas. Based on the latest available data, I do not believe there are significant health risks in attending this event. However, our biggest problem is the perception of danger which creates panic. 

 

For our part, we are planning to attend and sponsor. We’ve already committed to a day-zero event, advertisements, etc. It’s likely we’ll have some suppression in attendance.

 

An online-only event unfortunately cannot replace the value of attending the event in person, especially from a marketing perspective. 

 

Looking forward to discussing this further on our Wednesday marketing committee call.

 

On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 8:19 PM Raziel Tabib <raziel@...> wrote:

See below.. Dan, are we part of this conversation?


 

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Andreas Stroppel <Andreas.Stroppel@...>
Date: Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 5:05 PM
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] [cncf-gb] KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam is taking place March 30 to April 2 as planned
To: Tom Kerkhove <kerkhove.tom@...>, Sarah Allen <sarah@...>, Ricardo Aravena <raravena80@...>, Jacopo Nardiello <jacopo@...>
Cc: Dongxu Huang <huang@...>, Roger Klorese <roger.klorese@...>, psharma@... <psharma@...>, Maksim Yankovskiy <myankovskiy@...>, cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...>, Susanne Stroppel <Susanne.Stroppel@...>

 

Just an addition,

 

From my point of view this is all just due to panic. Corona will spread and is not avoidable.

So postponing will just shift the problem to later time. But it will essentially still exist. The only thing is, the panic will reduce after some time…

Canceling means great financial impact on all sides. Customer, Foundation and Sponsors.

Change to online option seams quite feasible but will be a headache especially in terms of networking or also the sponsors/exhibitors of this event.

 

No matter what we will do, there is a great impact on this event. Additionally there is a really short timeframe for all relevant participants to react.

So whatever is done or planned as an alternative. Should be decided asap. So that adjustments are still possible.

 

As a Startup sponsor, we are a small company and hoped to get in touch with a lot of people from the community. We’ve also prepared a lot in advance to the event.

It hurts to see all this was in vain and the chance to get in touch with people is heavily impacted. No matter of what is chosen as Plan B

networking and getting in touch with people is impacted the most.  

 

And from my point of view this is the most beneficial part of the Kubecon

 

Greetings Andreas

 

Von: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...> Im Auftrag von Tom Kerkhove
Gesendet: Sonntag, 1. März 2020 09:31
An: Sarah Allen <sarah@...>; Ricardo Aravena <raravena80@...>; Jacopo Nardiello <jacopo@...>
Cc: Dongxu Huang <huang@...>; Roger Klorese <roger.klorese@...>; psharma@...; Maksim Yankovskiy <myankovskiy@...>; cncf-toc@...
Betreff: Re: [cncf-toc] [cncf-gb] KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam is taking place March 30 to April 2 as planned

 

That's also an option if we could choose to get a refund.

Example, KubeCon is my last conf for next few months as we are expecting. If it gets rescheduled then I won't be able to join.

Another thing to keep in mind is KubeCon China is in July so they might be very close to each other which makes you wonder if they are not too close.

That said, I agree that in person is better but might be less feasible for this event,unfortunately.

Still hoping things get better to proceed with current plans.

Tom Kerkhove

Azure Architect at Codit, Microsoft Azure MVP

 


From: Jacopo Nardiello <jacopo@...>
Sent: Sunday, March 1, 2020 8:43:57 AM
To: Sarah Allen <sarah@...>; Ricardo Aravena <raravena80@...>; Tom Kerkhove <kerkhove.tom@...>
Cc: Dongxu Huang <huang@...>; Roger Klorese <roger.klorese@...>; psharma@... <psharma@...>; Maksim Yankovskiy <myankovskiy@...>; cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] [cncf-gb] KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam is taking place March 30 to April 2 as planned

 

Hi all, 

 

Why not just postponing the event (like everyone else is doing)?

 

Virtual conferences might be ok for content/talks, they are totally meaningless for developing new business (as a sponsor, this is one of the main drivers for companies attending kubecon).

 

Postpone = nothing changes and no refunds for anyone, just new dates to be defined.

Virtual event or any other alternative = refunds apocalypse.

 

So, to me, postponing is the only really viable alternative. 

 

Just my 2 cents

 

_______________________________________

Jacopo Nardiello
Founder & CEO - SIGHUP
DevOps / Cloud-Native infrastructures

CNCF Silver Member
Kubernetes Certified Service Provider (KCSP)

@jnardiello/ github.com/jnardiello
https://calendly.com/jnardiello
// Book a meeting
http://sighup.io

 

Il 1 mar 2020, 08:32 +0100, Tom Kerkhove <kerkhove.tom@...>, ha scritto:

That makes perfect sense. The question is, do folks get a refund?

While virtual is great alternative, I don't see myself spending 4 days watching videos if I may be honest as well.

So ideally it would be still ongoing virtually but people can choose to opt out. Also, videos are always available afterwards, how does that work in this situation? Paid attendees get live access while the others are on-demand but with delay of a week or so?

Plan b would be good to investigate indeed!

Tom Kerkhove

Azure Architect at Codit, Microsoft Azure MVP

 


From: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Ricardo Aravena <raravena80@...>
Sent: Sunday, March 1, 2020 5:52:01 AM
To: Sarah Allen <sarah@...>
Cc: Dongxu Huang <huang@...>; Roger Klorese <roger.klorese@...>; psharma@... <psharma@...>; Maksim Yankovskiy <myankovskiy@...>; cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] [cncf-gb] KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam is taking place March 30 to April 2 as planned

 

 

Nothing like face-to-face in my opinion too but better safe than sorry, in terms of everybody's health, and the foundation. Another alternative (besides having a large virtual conference) is to just have a set of smaller virtual events, but given that they've already canceled large events like MWC, F8, and GDC, and several large companies have instituted employee travel bans, personally, I'd be totally cool if the event was canceled altogether this year.

 

My 2-cents.

 

Ricardo

 

 

 

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 7:43 PM Sarah Allen <sarah@...> wrote:

I agree that there's no real replacement for face-to-face.  However, virtual conference experiences are getting increasingly more interactive and a lot of conferences organize local gatherings for people to watch together -- probably something we would want to do anyhow (if not happening already).

 

On a personal note, I don't feel good about traveling with the current global health situation, even if it continues to be permitted from my locale.  

 

I would be willing to help investigate virtual conference options, if something isn't already in place.

 

Sarah

SIG-Security co-chair

 

 

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 7:34 PM Dongxu Huang <huang@...> wrote:

As a speaker of KubeCon EU 2020,

I am currently in China. Due to the influence of COVID19, the embassy of the Netherlands in Beijing is currently closed. I think there is a great possibility that I cannot get a visa on time.

So, a plan B would be great.

 

On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 11:18 AM Roger Klorese <roger.klorese@...> wrote:

Yeah, but...

 

Who can sit in front of a screen for eight hours or more of streaming?!

Roger B.A. Klorese (they/them or he/him)
Senior Product Manager
SUSE
255 King Street Suite 800

Seattle WA 98104
(P)+1 206.217.7432
(M)+1 425.444.5493
roger.klorese@...
Schedule a meeting: https://doodle.com/RogerKlorese
GPG Key: D567 F186 A6AE D244 067E  95E4 E67D 019F 0670 D9CC

 

On Feb 29, 2020, at 2:41 PM, Priyanka Sharma via Lists.Cncf.Io <psharma=gitlab.com@...> wrote:

+ 1 to solid virtual conference plan B option. I imagine there will be a lot more people tuning in online so we should make sure the live-streaming tech can handle the load. 

 

Fingers crossed everything goes well in the end! 

 

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 11:39 AM Maksim Yankovskiy <myankovskiy@...> wrote:

Hi,

 

Given the progression and where we are now with this, as many CDC specialists suggest, containment is no longer an option. Yet the response is still lagging, with organizations and countries thinking they can avoid exposure by canceling events and closing borders. 

 

I am still hoping for a meaningful response and for the conference to go through as planned. 

There's no substitute for old-school face-to-face.

 

     == Maksim

 

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 10:43 AM Antoine Legrand <2t.antoine@...> wrote:

Hi, 

 

Switzerland as well as France have just banned all indoor meetings with more than 1000 and 5000 attendees. This new policy will probably be followed by many others EU countries, if not all. 


Sadly, it's getting more and more likely that CNCF will be forced to cancel the event.  As suggested by others, a plan B would be great. 

 

 

Antoine Legrand 

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020, 18:51 vishnu.ks <vishnu.ks@...> wrote:

 

+1 for virtual conference 👍

 

Best Regards,

Vishnu KS

Cloud Fullstack Engineer

M: +(91) 89 39 627115

O: +(971) 4 346 3002

A: Office 410, The Onyx Tower 2, Dubai - UAE

 

 

 


From: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Raj Panchapakesan via Lists.Cncf.Io <rajp=jfrog.com@...>
Sent: 29 February 2020 21:15
To: Shannon Williams <shannon@...>
Cc: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] [cncf-gb] KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam is taking place March 30 to April 2 as planned

 

Dan,

 

It is great to hear about the additional precautions and many steps you are taking to protect the attendees and the foundation.  However, we need to keep our options open and consider adding the virtual summit option, especially with many companies putting ban on employees travel.  At this late stage we also need to consider the financial implications before making any decision.  

 

Dan, Do we have any sponsors withdrawing or impact on the trendline of registrations compared to last year?

 

Regards,

raj

 

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 5:38 PM Shannon Williams <shannon@...> wrote:

Dan – if the situation doesn’t improved, I’m concerned we might need to reconsider this in the next few weeks. As we discussed privately, I’ve been getting a number of notes from people letting me know they won’t be attending, and it sounds like a few sponsors have decided not to participate.   Given all of that, I’d like to understand the financial implications to the foundation if we reached a point where we did need to cancel the event, or turn it into a virtual event.  

 

I’m concerned it could be quite financial impactful for the foundation.

 

Best Regards,

 

Shannon Williams

Rancher Labs

shannon@...

+1 650-521-6902

 

From: cncf-gb@... <cncf-gb@...> On Behalf Of Dan Kohn via Lists.Cncf.Io
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2020 12:10 PM
To: cncf-toc@...
Cc: cncf-gb@...
Subject: [cncf-gb] KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam is taking place March 30 to April 2 as planned

 

Given the understandable anxiety around COVID19, I wanted to confirm that KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam is taking place March 30 to April 2 as planned.

 

Please see https://events.linuxfoundation.org/kubecon-cloudnativecon-europe/attend/novel-coronavirus-update/ which was just updated with additional information and will remain the source of all updates from CNCF regarding the impact of COVID19 on the event. Please see the flowchart there around travel and flu-like symptoms and that we developed these rules in consultation with an epidemiologist formerly with the CDC, to ensure that we implement best practices.

 

I look forward to seeing many of you in Amsterdam.

--
Dan Kohn <dan@...> +1-415-233-1000
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation cncf.io
dankohn.com or book on my calendar: dankohn.com/c


 

--

Best,

-Raj

=====================================================================================

 

Raj Panchapakesan | Sr. Director: Global Alliances & Biz Dev 
Mobile: +1 408-230-4698 | Linkedin  Twitter
JFrog Inc. Sunnyvale, CA 

=====================================================================================

This message may contain confidential and/or proprietary information and is intended only for the person/entity to whom it was originally addressed.  The content of this message may contain private views and opinions, which do not constitute a formal disclosure or commitment unless specifically stated. 

--

PS - Happy New Year!

 

Priyanka Sharma

Director of Technical Evangelism & Cloud Native, GitLab Inc.

Board Member, Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF)

(650) 796-7125

 

 


 

--

---------

Edward Huang

CTO, PingCAP Inc.

--

Dan Garfield

(801) 376-0799

Chief Technology Evangelist

Check out our upcoming Webinars

 

Join cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io to automatically receive all group messages.