Andreas Stroppel <Andreas.Stroppel@...>
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
Just an addition,
From my point of view this is all just due to panic. Corona will spread and is not avoidable.
So postponing will just shift the problem to later time. But it will essentially still exist. The only thing is, the panic will reduce after some time…
Canceling means great financial impact on all sides. Customer, Foundation and Sponsors.
Change to online option seams quite feasible but will be a headache especially in terms of networking or also the sponsors/exhibitors of this event.
No matter what we will do, there is a great impact on this event. Additionally there is a really short timeframe for all relevant participants to react.
So whatever is done or planned as an alternative. Should be decided asap. So that adjustments are still possible.
As a Startup sponsor, we are a small company and hoped to get in touch with a lot of people from the community. We’ve also prepared a lot in advance to the event.
It hurts to see all this was in vain and the chance to get in touch with people is heavily impacted. No matter of what is chosen as Plan B
networking and getting in touch with people is impacted the most.
And from my point of view this is the most beneficial part of the Kubecon
Von: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...>
Im Auftrag von Tom Kerkhove
Gesendet: Sonntag, 1. März 2020 09:31
An: Sarah Allen <sarah@...>; Ricardo Aravena <raravena80@...>; Jacopo Nardiello <jacopo@...>
Cc: Dongxu Huang <huang@...>; Roger Klorese <roger.klorese@...>; psharma@...; Maksim Yankovskiy <myankovskiy@...>; cncf-toc@...
Betreff: Re: [cncf-toc] [cncf-gb] KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam is taking place March 30 to April 2 as planned
That's also an option if we could choose to get a refund.
Example, KubeCon is my last conf for next few months as we are expecting. If it gets rescheduled then I won't be able to join.
Another thing to keep in mind is KubeCon China is in July so they might be very close to each other which makes you wonder if they are not too close.
That said, I agree that in person is better but might be less feasible for this event,unfortunately.
Still hoping things get better to proceed with current plans.
Azure Architect at Codit, Microsoft Azure
From: Jacopo Nardiello <jacopo@...>
Sent: Sunday, March 1, 2020 8:43:57 AM
To: Sarah Allen <sarah@...>; Ricardo Aravena <raravena80@...>; Tom Kerkhove <kerkhove.tom@...>
Cc: Dongxu Huang <huang@...>; Roger Klorese <roger.klorese@...>;
psharma@... <psharma@...>; Maksim Yankovskiy <myankovskiy@...>;
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] [cncf-gb] KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam is taking place March 30 to April 2 as planned
Why not just postponing the event (like everyone else is doing)?
Virtual conferences might be ok for content/talks, they are totally meaningless for developing new business (as a sponsor, this is one of the main drivers for companies attending kubecon).
Postpone = nothing changes and no refunds for anyone, just new dates to be defined.
Virtual event or any other alternative = refunds apocalypse.
So, to me, postponing is the only really viable alternative.
Il 1 mar 2020, 08:32 +0100, Tom Kerkhove <kerkhove.tom@...>, ha scritto:
That makes perfect sense. The question is, do folks get a refund?
While virtual is great alternative, I don't see myself spending 4 days watching videos if I may be honest as well.
So ideally it would be still ongoing virtually but people can choose to opt out. Also, videos are always available afterwards, how does that work in this
situation? Paid attendees get live access while the others are on-demand but with delay of a week or so?
Plan b would be good to investigate indeed!
Azure Architect at Codit, Microsoft Azure
Nothing like face-to-face in my opinion too but better safe than sorry, in terms of everybody's health, and the foundation. Another alternative (besides having a large virtual conference) is to just have a set of smaller virtual events,
but given that they've already canceled large events like MWC, F8, and GDC, and several large companies have instituted employee travel bans, personally, I'd be totally cool if the event was canceled altogether this year.
On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 7:43 PM Sarah Allen <sarah@...> wrote:
I agree that there's no real replacement for face-to-face. However, virtual conference experiences are getting increasingly more interactive and a lot of conferences organize local gatherings for people to watch together -- probably something
we would want to do anyhow (if not happening already).
On a personal note, I don't feel good about traveling with the current global health situation, even if it continues to be permitted from my locale.
I would be willing to help investigate virtual conference options, if something isn't already in place.
On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 7:34 PM Dongxu Huang <huang@...> wrote:
As a speaker of KubeCon EU 2020,
I am currently in China. Due to the influence of COVID19, the embassy of the Netherlands in Beijing is currently closed. I think there is a great possibility that I cannot get a visa on time.
So, a plan B would be great.
Who can sit in front of a screen for eight hours or more of streaming?!
Roger B.A. Klorese (they/them or he/him)
Senior Product Manager
255 King Street Suite 800
+ 1 to solid virtual conference plan B option. I imagine there will be a lot more people tuning in online so we should make sure the live-streaming tech can handle the load.
Fingers crossed everything goes well in the end!
On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 11:39 AM Maksim Yankovskiy <myankovskiy@...> wrote:
Given the progression and where we are now with this, as many CDC specialists suggest, containment is no longer an option. Yet the response is still lagging, with organizations and countries thinking they can avoid exposure by canceling
events and closing borders.
I am still hoping for a meaningful response and for the conference to go through as planned.
There's no substitute for old-school face-to-face.
On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 10:43 AM Antoine Legrand <2t.antoine@...> wrote:
Switzerland as well as France have just banned all indoor meetings with more than 1000 and 5000 attendees. This new policy will probably be followed by many others EU countries, if not all.
Sadly, it's getting more and more likely that CNCF will be forced to cancel the event. As suggested by others, a plan B would be great.
+1 for virtual conference 👍
Cloud Fullstack Engineer
It is great to hear about the additional precautions and many steps you are taking to protect the attendees and the foundation. However, we need to keep our options open and consider adding the virtual summit option, especially with many
companies putting ban on employees travel. At this late stage we also need to consider the financial implications before making any decision.
Dan, Do we have any sponsors withdrawing or impact on the trendline of registrations compared to last year?
On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 5:38 PM Shannon Williams <shannon@...> wrote:
Dan – if the situation doesn’t improved, I’m concerned we might need to reconsider this in the next few weeks. As we discussed privately, I’ve been getting a number of notes from people letting me know they won’t be attending, and it sounds
like a few sponsors have decided not to participate. Given all of that, I’d like to understand the financial implications to the foundation if we reached a point where we did need to cancel the event, or turn it into a virtual event.
I’m concerned it could be quite financial impactful for the foundation.
On Behalf Of Dan Kohn via Lists.Cncf.Io
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2020 12:10 PM
Subject: [cncf-gb] KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam is taking place March 30 to April 2 as planned
Given the understandable anxiety around COVID19, I wanted to confirm that KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam is taking place March 30 to April 2 as planned.
I look forward to seeing many of you in Amsterdam.
Raj Panchapakesan | Sr. Director: Global Alliances & Biz Dev
Mobile: +1 408-230-4698 | Linkedin Twitter
JFrog Inc. Sunnyvale, CA
This message may contain confidential and/or proprietary information and is intended only for the person/entity to whom it was originally addressed. The content of
this message may contain private views and opinions, which do not constitute a formal disclosure or commitment unless specifically stated.
Director of Technical Evangelism & Cloud Native, GitLab Inc.
Board Member, Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF)