Re: [cncf-gb] KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam is taking place March 30 to April 2 as planned

Tom Kerkhove

That makes perfect sense. The question is, do folks get a refund?

While virtual is great alternative, I don't see myself spending 4 days watching videos if I may be honest as well.

So ideally it would be still ongoing virtually but people can choose to opt out. Also, videos are always available afterwards, how does that work in this situation? Paid attendees get live access while the others are on-demand but with delay of a week or so?

Plan b would be good to investigate indeed!

Tom Kerkhove
Azure Architect at Codit, Microsoft Azure MVP

From: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Ricardo Aravena <raravena80@...>
Sent: Sunday, March 1, 2020 5:52:01 AM
To: Sarah Allen <sarah@...>
Cc: Dongxu Huang <huang@...>; Roger Klorese <roger.klorese@...>; psharma@... <psharma@...>; Maksim Yankovskiy <myankovskiy@...>; cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] [cncf-gb] KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam is taking place March 30 to April 2 as planned

Nothing like face-to-face in my opinion too but better safe than sorry, in terms of everybody's health, and the foundation. Another alternative (besides having a large virtual conference) is to just have a set of smaller virtual events, but given that they've already canceled large events like MWC, F8, and GDC, and several large companies have instituted employee travel bans, personally, I'd be totally cool if the event was canceled altogether this year.

My 2-cents.


On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 7:43 PM Sarah Allen <sarah@...> wrote:
I agree that there's no real replacement for face-to-face.  However, virtual conference experiences are getting increasingly more interactive and a lot of conferences organize local gatherings for people to watch together -- probably something we would want to do anyhow (if not happening already).

On a personal note, I don't feel good about traveling with the current global health situation, even if it continues to be permitted from my locale.  

I would be willing to help investigate virtual conference options, if something isn't already in place.

SIG-Security co-chair

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 7:34 PM Dongxu Huang <huang@...> wrote:
As a speaker of KubeCon EU 2020,
I am currently in China. Due to the influence of COVID19, the embassy of the Netherlands in Beijing is currently closed. I think there is a great possibility that I cannot get a visa on time.
So, a plan B would be great.

On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 11:18 AM Roger Klorese <roger.klorese@...> wrote:
Yeah, but...

Who can sit in front of a screen for eight hours or more of streaming?!

Roger B.A. Klorese (they/them or he/him)
Senior Product Manager

255 King Street Suite 800
Seattle WA 98104
(P)+1 206.217.7432
(M)+1 425.444.5493
Schedule a meeting:
GPG Key: D567 F186 A6AE D244 067E  95E4 E67D 019F 0670 D9CC

On Feb 29, 2020, at 2:41 PM, Priyanka Sharma via Lists.Cncf.Io <> wrote:

+ 1 to solid virtual conference plan B option. I imagine there will be a lot more people tuning in online so we should make sure the live-streaming tech can handle the load. 

Fingers crossed everything goes well in the end! 

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 11:39 AM Maksim Yankovskiy <myankovskiy@...> wrote:

Given the progression and where we are now with this, as many CDC specialists suggest, containment is no longer an option. Yet the response is still lagging, with organizations and countries thinking they can avoid exposure by canceling events and closing borders. 

I am still hoping for a meaningful response and for the conference to go through as planned. 
There's no substitute for old-school face-to-face.

     == Maksim

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 10:43 AM Antoine Legrand <2t.antoine@...> wrote:

Switzerland as well as France have just banned all indoor meetings with more than 1000 and 5000 attendees. This new policy will probably be followed by many others EU countries, if not all. 

Sadly, it's getting more and more likely that CNCF will be forced to cancel the event.  As suggested by others, a plan B would be great. 

Antoine Legrand 

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020, 18:51 vishnu.ks <vishnu.ks@...> wrote:

+1 for virtual conference 👍

Best Regards,
Vishnu KS
Cloud Fullstack Engineer
M: +(91) 89 39 627115
O: +(971) 4 346 3002
A: Office 410, The Onyx Tower 2, Dubai - UAE
/c2e4c688-8d9f-42be-b434-5d4c589a724a/ /2ccd7f9e-39f9-41bc-8a11-a89d77f2fb9b/ /4b4efce7-6cda-450a-986e-c811e73cb69a/ /e12fc535-6d64-4409-b3a6-a225117e6923/

From: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Raj Panchapakesan via Lists.Cncf.Io <>
Sent: 29 February 2020 21:15
To: Shannon Williams <shannon@...>
Cc: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] [cncf-gb] KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam is taking place March 30 to April 2 as planned

It is great to hear about the additional precautions and many steps you are taking to protect the attendees and the foundation.  However, we need to keep our options open and consider adding the virtual summit option, especially with many companies putting ban on employees travel.  At this late stage we also need to consider the financial implications before making any decision.  

Dan, Do we have any sponsors withdrawing or impact on the trendline of registrations compared to last year?


On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 5:38 PM Shannon Williams <shannon@...> wrote:

Dan – if the situation doesn’t improved, I’m concerned we might need to reconsider this in the next few weeks. As we discussed privately, I’ve been getting a number of notes from people letting me know they won’t be attending, and it sounds like a few sponsors have decided not to participate.   Given all of that, I’d like to understand the financial implications to the foundation if we reached a point where we did need to cancel the event, or turn it into a virtual event.  


I’m concerned it could be quite financial impactful for the foundation.


Best Regards,


Shannon Williams

Rancher Labs


+1 650-521-6902


From: cncf-gb@... <cncf-gb@...> On Behalf Of Dan Kohn via Lists.Cncf.Io
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2020 12:10 PM
To: cncf-toc@...
Cc: cncf-gb@...
Subject: [cncf-gb] KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam is taking place March 30 to April 2 as planned


Given the understandable anxiety around COVID19, I wanted to confirm that KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam is taking place March 30 to April 2 as planned.


Please see which was just updated with additional information and will remain the source of all updates from CNCF regarding the impact of COVID19 on the event. Please see the flowchart there around travel and flu-like symptoms and that we developed these rules in consultation with an epidemiologist formerly with the CDC, to ensure that we implement best practices.


I look forward to seeing many of you in Amsterdam.

Dan Kohn <dan@...> +1-415-233-1000
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation or book on my calendar:






Raj Panchapakesan | Sr. Director: Global Alliances & Biz Dev 
Mobile: +1 408-230-4698 | Linkedin  Twitter
JFrog Inc
Sunnyvale, CA 

This message may contain confidential and/or proprietary information and is intended only for the person/entity to whom it was originally addressed.  The content of this message may contain private views and opinions, which do not constitute a formal disclosure or commitment unless specifically stated. 

PS - Happy New Year!

Priyanka Sharma
Director of Technical Evangelism & Cloud Native, GitLab Inc.
Board Member, Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF)
(650) 796-7125

Edward Huang
CTO, PingCAP Inc.

Join { to automatically receive all group messages.