toggle quoted message
Show quoted text
Nothing like face-to-face in my opinion too but better safe than sorry, in terms of everybody's health, and the foundation. Another alternative (besides having a large virtual conference) is to just have a set of smaller virtual events, but given that they've already canceled large events like MWC, F8, and GDC, and several large companies have instituted employee travel bans, personally, I'd be totally cool if the event was canceled altogether this year.
On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 7:43 PM Sarah Allen <sarah@...
I agree that there's no real replacement for face-to-face. However, virtual conference experiences are getting increasingly more interactive and a lot of conferences organize local gatherings for people to watch together -- probably something we would want to do anyhow (if not happening already).
On a personal note, I don't feel good about traveling with the current global health situation, even if it continues to be permitted from my locale.
I would be willing to help investigate virtual conference options, if something isn't already in place.
On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 7:34 PM Dongxu Huang <huang@...
As a speaker of KubeCon EU 2020,
I am currently in China. Due to the influence of COVID19, the embassy of the Netherlands in Beijing is currently closed. I think there is a great possibility that I cannot get a visa on time.
So, a plan B would be great.
Who can sit in front of a screen for eight hours or more of streaming?!
Roger B.A. Klorese (they/them or he/him)
Senior Product Manager
255 King Street Suite 800
+ 1 to solid virtual conference plan B option. I imagine there will be a lot more people tuning in online so we should make sure the live-streaming tech can handle the load.
Fingers crossed everything goes well in the end!
On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 11:39 AM Maksim Yankovskiy <myankovskiy@...
Given the progression and where we are now with this, as many CDC specialists suggest, containment is no longer an option. Yet the response is still lagging, with organizations and countries thinking they can avoid exposure by canceling events and closing
I am still hoping for a meaningful response and for the conference to go through as planned.
There's no substitute for old-school face-to-face.
On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 10:43 AM Antoine Legrand <2t.antoine@...
Switzerland as well as France have just banned all indoor meetings with more than 1000 and 5000 attendees. This new policy will probably be followed by many others EU countries, if not all.
Sadly, it's getting more and more likely that CNCF will be forced to cancel the event. As suggested by others, a plan B would be great.
+1 for virtual conference 👍
Cloud Fullstack Engineer
It is great to hear about the additional precautions and many steps you are taking to protect the attendees and the foundation. However, we need to keep our options open and consider adding the virtual summit option, especially with many companies
putting ban on employees travel. At this late stage we also need to consider the financial implications before making any decision.
Dan, Do we have any sponsors withdrawing or impact on the trendline of registrations compared to last year?
On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 5:38 PM Shannon Williams <shannon@...
Dan – if the situation doesn’t improved, I’m concerned we might need to reconsider this in the next few weeks. As we discussed privately, I’ve been getting a number of notes from people letting me know they won’t be attending, and it sounds like a few sponsors
have decided not to participate. Given all of that, I’d like to understand the financial implications to the foundation if we reached a point where we did need to cancel the event, or turn it into a virtual event.
I’m concerned it could be quite financial impactful for the foundation.
On Behalf Of Dan Kohn via
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2020 12:10 PM
Subject: [cncf-gb] KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam is taking place March 30 to April 2 as planned
Given the understandable anxiety around COVID19, I wanted to confirm that KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam is taking place March 30 to April 2 as planned.
I look forward to seeing many of you in Amsterdam.
Raj Panchapakesan | Sr. Director: Global Alliances & Biz Dev
Mobile: +1 408-230-4698 | Linkedin Twitter
JFrog Inc. Sunnyvale, CA
This message may contain confidential and/or proprietary information and is intended only for the person/entity to whom it was originally
addressed. The content of this message may contain private views and opinions, which do not constitute a formal disclosure or commitment unless specifically stated.
PS - Happy New Year!
Director of Technical Evangelism & Cloud Native, GitLab Inc.
Board Member, Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF)
CTO, PingCAP Inc.