Re: Contour to CNCF sandbox

Matt Farina

Coming from someone driving a project without direct CNCF involvement getting the project to incubation took serious work and a very serious diligence.

I have done a lot of the work for Helm when it comes to CNCF processes. There has been little to no guidance or involvement (other than official level meeting criteria). You have to want it, figure it out, and work for it. The skills needed to produce good code and projects are different from this.

It would be great if there was a) better documentation and b) mentoring. For all levels of projects in the CNCF.

Just my 2 cents.

- Matt Farina

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020, at 10:11 PM, Kris Nova wrote:
I agree with Gerred on this one.

Coming from someone driving a project without direct CNCF involvement getting the project to incubation took serious work and a very serious diligence.

I know contour is an excellent solution and completely support getting into the CNCF - but we should probably try to keep the playing field as fair as possible - at the very least let’s introduce time for folks to have a chance to share their voice.

Kris Nova
Chief Open Source Advocate

On 9 Jan 2020, at 16:30, Gerred Dillon <hello@...> wrote:
What are the status of other Envoy-based projects in this space? With Contour asking to skip the SIG process established a few months ago for sandbox - notably recommended by those who are part of this thread - others are being asked to attain, do other ingress projects such as Ambassador have the opportunity to join the sandbox in the same way, or will they need to be part of SIG Network due diligence before becoming a topic for the TOC?

If this group is establishing rules that benefit the larger community and foundation, they should apply to everyone - no matter who proposes it for inclusion, or who tries to skip existing protocol set forth for other projects over the holidays.

On Jan 7, 2020, at 6:12 PM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:

sorry, this is my mistake, I assumed sandbox for contour out of the gate

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 5:11 PM Joe Beda via Lists.Cncf.Io <jbeda=vmware.com@...> wrote:

Ah – my mistake.  I know we talked about it.  Chris added the “sandbox” label so that confused me.  I’ll fix it.

Agree that if we are talking incubation we should definitely have SIG-network start the process.

Sorry for the confusion!

From: Matt Klein <mattklein123@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 2:15 PM
To: Joe Beda <jbeda@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] Contour to CNCF sandbox

The PR lists incubation as the desired level. So that is not accurate?

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 3:02 PM Joe Beda via Lists.Cncf.Io <jbeda=vmware.com@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I know we’ve talked about not syncing on TOC meetings to get new projects in.  As things stand, we have just submitted contour as a sandbox project and there is support from Alexis and Matt and me.

What do we want to consider necessary before we move forward?  Do we want to have SIG-network take a look or do we want to just “make it so”?

Personally, I’d be cool with just getting it in but don’t want to jump the gun.

Joe