Re: Contour to CNCF sandbox

Liz Rice

Glad to see we are all on the same page for Contour.

More generally I think all projects should go through the SIG process for Sandbox even if there is already tentative support from the TOC:

- We shouldn’t short-cut the process just because some projects are better known to some members of the TOC
- It gives SIG members the opportunity to familiarise themselves with the project too
- It gives the SIG opportunity to compare/contrast with other projects in the space that they may be more familiar with
- At Sandbox this *should* be a lightweight and quick step for SIGs as well as for the TOC

With SIGs still being pretty new we have yet to prove whether we can get projects through this process in a timely fashion, but let’s give it a fair go.

@lizrice | lizrice.com | +44 (0) 780 126 1145

On 10 Jan 2020, at 00:36, Gerred Dillon <hello@...> wrote:

Thanks for the corrections - this was not clear when I replied! I don’t claim to speak for Ambassador - I was using it as an example here and would yield to them.

My concerns are assuaged by this - I appreciate your response Joe.

On Jan 9, 2020, at 7:33 PM, Joe Beda <jbeda@...> wrote:

Hello,

Two corrections here:
1) contour is looking at incubation and will be working through the sig.
2) the question here is about how we are utilizing sigs for projects that already have sponsors. We've had discussions on where we are headed here and I personally didn't remember where we landed for sandbox projects with TOC support already.

I would expect that this would be applied evenly to all projects without special treatment for contour.

If ambassador is looking to join at the sandbox level let's have this discussion.

Joe

From: Matt Klein <mattklein123@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 2:15 PM
To: Joe Beda <jbeda@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>

The PR lists incubation as the desired level. So that is not accurate?

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 3:02 PM Joe Beda via Lists.Cncf.Io <jbeda=vmware.com@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I know we’ve talked about not syncing on TOC meetings to get new projects in.  As things stand, we have just submitted contour as a sandbox project and there is support from Alexis and Matt and me.

What do we want to consider necessary before we move forward?  Do we want to have SIG-network take a look or do we want to just “make it so”?

Personally, I’d be cool with just getting it in but don’t want to jump the gun.

Joe