Re: [External] Re: [cncf-toc] Fluentd Graduation Request (2017-2019)

Tim Miller (Timothy Miller)

+1 non-binding

From: cncf-toc@... [mailto:cncf-toc@...] On Behalf Of Chris Short via Lists.Cncf.Io
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2019 11:32 PM
To: Stephen Augustus
Cc: cncf-toc@...
Subject: [External] Re: [cncf-toc] Fluentd Graduation Request (2017-2019)

External email: Please be careful when opening attachments or clicking links.

+1 non-binding

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 23:00 Stephen Augustus <Stephen@...> wrote:

+1 (nb)

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019, 20:36 Roger Klorese <roger.klorese@...> wrote:

+1 (nb)

Roger B.A. Klorese
Senior Product Manager
SUSE
705 5th Ave SSuite 1000
Seattle WA 98104

(P)+1 206.217.7432
(M)+1 425.444.5493
roger.klorese@...
Schedule a meeting: https://doodle.com/RogerKlorese
GPG Key: D567 F186 A6AE D244 067E  95E4 E67D 019F 0670 D9CC

On Mar 28, 2019, at 5:09 PM, Brian Grant via Lists.Cncf.Io <briangrant=google.com@...> wrote:

Thanks for the summary, Eduardo. And sorry this has taken so long.

I believe Fluentd is ready for graduation, and would like to call a vote.

Adoption of fluentd is widespread, as can be seen on its site:

Fluentd is the 4th most used docker image according to:

Fluentd reached 1.0 in Dec 2017. There are nearly 1000 fluentd plugins.

Even the core has committers and significant contributions from multiple organizations.

Fluentbit, a lightweight log forwarder optimized for cloud-native environments, has also reached 1.0.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 1:42 PM Eduardo Silva <eduardo@...> wrote:

Hello TOC!,

My name is Eduardo Silva from Fluentd project.

On November 2016, sponsored by Brian Grant, Fluentd joined CNCF in the Incubating stage. One year later in November 2017, we submitted PR #69 asking for the project Graduation. Since that time we have been waiting for feedback asking to get started with the voting process. Unfortunately, due to previous TOC overload, our project review has been delayed many times and for months.

As of mid-2018, we started to transition Fluentd trademark (hold by Treasure Data at that moment) to the Linux Foundation, it took a lot of time since the trademark was in several countries and as of today that process is almost finished.

On December 2018 we did a presentation on the TOC call:

·         Presentation recording: https://youtu.be/idXzP6Af82c?t=2375

·         Slides: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1QUUpTnpnxBBmsuPKb0lRYLiP8G5H4sSlEaGK70XgBrE/edit#slide=id.g4481a3901f_1_10

But again no clear steps to move forward have been provided...

Moving forward and considering that we have been in the queue for a long time and we have a new TOC on board, in name of Fluentd project, I would like to ask for an official review of our Graduation proposal and further Voting process.

Since Incubation, the current statistics of Fluentd as of today are:

·         75 official releases

·         More than 48 Million Docker Hub Pulls

·         941 Plugins available made by the community, 917 have been updated since Incubation.

·         7500 Github Stars

Our expectation from TOC is to get feedback if some information is missing and define the action plan for the voting process, for us be able to finish this process during April 2019 is ideal, for hence we ask to be granted with high priority in terms of revision, feedback, and final steps.

We understand new TOC have been just formed, but we trust you will understand the situation and help on this final stage.

We are happy to present again in the next TOC call if required, whatever is required from us please let us know and we will work on it with high priority too.

regards,

--

Eduardo Silva
Principal Engineer  | Arm

Please note the MUFG logo and name is a service mark of Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc. (“MUFG”) and may be used by it or other Group companies for marketing purposes, including MUFG Americas Holdings Corporation affiliates and subsidiaries. Lending, deposit, securities, investment banking, and other banking services are provided by banking and/or broker-dealer affiliates of MUFG, including, MUFG Bank, Ltd. (“MUFG Bank”), MUFG Union Bank, N.A. (“Union Bank”), MUFG Securities Americas Inc. (“MUSA”), and MUFG Securities (Canada), Ltd. (“MUS(CAN)”). MUFG Bank is not an FDIC-insured bank. MUB is an FDIC-insured bank. MUSA is a member of FINRA and SIPC. MUS(CAN) is a member of IIROC and CIPF.

This message is intended for the named addressee(s) only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mis-transmission. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and all copies from your system, destroy any hard copies and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. MUFG, its affiliates and subsidiaries reserve the right to monitor all electronic communications through their respective networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and do not constitute investment advice or recommendation, except where the message expressly states otherwise and the sender is authorized to furnish the same. MUFG (and its subsidiaries) shall (will) not be liable for the message if modified.