Re: [VOTE] CoreDNS moving to graduation
From: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 9:47 AM
To: CNCF TOC
Subject: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] CoreDNS moving to graduation
CoreDNS has requested to move to the graduation maturity level:
The CoreDNS community was one of earlier projects that joined CNCF at the inception/sandbox level on March 2017 (sponsored by Jon Boulle) and moved to the incubation maturity level on Feb 2018. As of Kubernetes v1.13, CoreDNS is the default DNS server (https://kubernetes.io/blog/2018/12/03/kubernetes-1-13-release-announcement/) and the community went under an external security audit last year sponsored by CNCF: https://coredns.io/2018/03/15/cure53-security-assessment/
The CoreDNS community believes it has fulfilled all the graduation criteria:
- Document that it is being used successfully in production by at least three independent end users:
* SoundCloud uses CoreDNS as internal cache+proxy in Kubernetes clusters to handle hundreds of thousands DNS service discovery requests per second.
* Infoblox uses CoreDNS in its Active Trust Cloud SaaS service, as well as for Kubernetes cluster DNS.
* Admiral uses CoreDNS to handle geographic DNS requests for our public-facing microservices.
* Qunar uses CoreDNS for service discovery of its GPU machine learning cloud with TensorFlow and Kubernetes.
* Tradeshift uses CoreDNS to look up company identifiers across multiple shards/regions/zones
* AdGuard uses CoreDNS in AdGuard Home and, therefore, in production public AdGuard DNS servers.
* Bose, Zalando, Yandex, Hellofresh, Sodimac, Kismia and many others use CoreDNS for their production's Kubernetes Cluster: https://github.com/coredns/coredns/blob/master/ADOPTERS.md
- Have a healthy number of committers and at least two from different organizations: 16+ maintainers: Google, Infoblox, Independent(s) - More than 100+ contributors - https://github.com/coredns/coredns/blob/master/OWNERS and https://github.com/coredns/coredns/graphs/contributors
- Demonstrate a substantial ongoing flow of commits and merged contributions: 10+ releases since becoming an incubating project and average about 150 PRs merged / quarter: https://all.devstats.cncf.io/d/54/project-health?orgId=1&var-repogroup_name=CoreDNS
- Have achieved a CII badge: https://bestpractices.coreinfrastructure.org/projects/1250
- Define a governance model: https://github.com/coredns/coredns/blob/master/GOVERNANCE.md
Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/172
Remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719