Re: DRAFT slides for TOC meeting tomorrow

alexis richardson

Doug,

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Doug Davis <dug@...> wrote:

On the new reference architecture picture I have a few comments/questions:
1 - what is driving the need for a new one rather than tweaking the existing one?

IMHO the old one is quite hard to understand, especially for developers who might use CNCF projects.

This is an attempt to simplify the picture somewhat.  At the end of the day most developers care about CNCF's main concerns: containers, runtime platforms, core services and ancillary tooling, and how they relate to each other, and to apps in general.

2 - I actually prefer the old one. I like that it (abstractly) mentions most of the key pieces of the puzzle - e.g. the image registry and networking - things the new one doesn't touch on.

I think the old one is really abstract -- much too abstract -- and contains extra info, eg about all the interop surfaces, which are unlikely to be seen or used by many developers.

Networking *is* in the stack -- it's part of the runtime layer.  This is covered in the "detail" presentation of the stack that Ken showed two weeks ago.

Registries are part of app dev.

Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc ---07/19/2016 04:42:16 PM---all, https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1h8HFOAVLrJTvjUPP6ZHG2SzVKsTaMLvbiqjzUj4vml8/edit?ts=578

From: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: cncf-toc@...