Re: What's the point? (or,"What's the Emperor wearing?")

alexis richardson

Matt

I kicked off a new thread on the "helping projects" topic you & Jessie have homed in on.

Re: "favourites"

I think this ought to be simple:
1) Graduated & Incubated projects get lots of help & pref.
2) Sandbox get much less, and zero marketing, per the guidelines

I hope we can scale (1) in line with overall CNCF growth & budget.

I think Sandbox projects will be many, for a number of reasons that I am happy to bore everyone with.  So their budget needs to be limited.  They are not "favourites".  They may fail to get to incubation.  But, they need a neutral home & various forms of help that I think can be boxed into Categories/WGs

Incubated / Graduated projects ARE favoured.  There is real DD, and TOC care here.  The CNCF is making bets & should back them up.  "But you say you are not a kingmaker organisation", some people complain.  On the contrary - we do not pick winners, and can back more than one horse.  The clear example right now is in service mesh where we see multiple high quality projects.  There are and will be others.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 5:20 AM Matt Klein via Lists.Cncf.Io <mklein=lyft.com@...> wrote:
Then when
those projects need help with things the foundation can offer, money
for infrastructure, a place for shared IP it seems like it would be
obvious that they should be projects in the foundation, of course they
need to qualify etc.

Beyond neutral IP, I agree this is the most important thing the foundation provides, and IMHO CNCF does not do enough of it (there are so many things that high velocity projects need I could go on and on and on). Unfortunately, this is the area in which decisions will need to be made. There are limited funds and they will need to be allocated across the increasing portfolio of projects in the foundation, so clearly some decision criteria will need to be developed (whether based on graduation level or something else) to decide how funds are allocated and for what purpose (and unfortunately this in and of itself will involve politics).

I'm happy to see this conversation happening, as I ultimately I do believe that some level of choosing "favorites" is going to be required for the foundation to realize its full benefit to its most popular member projects.

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 10:23 AM, Jessica Frazelle via Lists.Cncf.Io <me=jessfraz.com@...> wrote:
Yeah that was what I meant with shared IP.

I think there are ways to limit the effect of gamification of the
system and I think you all have done a great job of this so far
especially with the format for sandbox projects....

I think this is more a culture problem in that, if people see the
leaders of projects and in the community pushing for more projects to
be added to the foundation at a very past pace then we have lost a
culture of "making the best tool of high quality for the job" and we
lost a culture of innovation.... we merely have the culture of
"winning". Which I am still unsure as to what people seek to win but I
digress.

Regardless, I think the right measures are in place with the sandbox
to limit kingmaking. I think the focus should now be put on promoting
(and I don't mean marketing) but leading the ecosystem to focus on
building tools that innovate technology in the cloud native space with
a high importance on quality and fostering collaboration. Then when
those projects need help with things the foundation can offer, money
for infrastructure, a place for shared IP it seems like it would be
obvious that they should be projects in the foundation, of course they
need to qualify etc.

Just my 2 cents.

--

Jessie Frazelle
4096R / D4C4 DD60 0D66 F65A 8EFC  511E 18F3 685C 0022 BFF3