Re: Incubating and Inception levels in marketing materials

Bob Wise

Since the moment is opening up for debate, I will make a stand (again) that we should require cross-org maintainership.
I believe this might help with some of Jesse Frazelle's commentary recently as well, although only she could say. :-)

Generally this is a way to not only ensure that the projects are really of sufficient interest to users, but also to contributors.
We acknowledge this in what it takes to graduate, anyway.

We do not require it at the outset, while at the same time a small company might be getting funded or gaining market share based on getting to one of these states.
Since projects are getting so much press at the first stage of acceptance, they are getting a lot of the value without returning that value to the community in the form of shared control.

It's not too much to ask (and we should ask) that to receive the CNCF endorsement that real dedication (not just future expectation) to multi-org maintainership is required at all phases.

-Bob

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 1:20 PM, alexis richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Erin

Please could you be specific?  Do you think Inception and/or
Incubation should require Maintainers from more companies?  I am not
promising changes, but *now* is the time to table and debate this.  If
people have concerns, please invite them to voice them here or have a
sponsor do so on their behalf.

alexis