Re: Prometheus & Observability documentation

Arthur Silva Sens

Hello Richard and everyone,

Maybe some of you recognize me from GitHub, some may not, but for context to everyone.. I'm a recently graduated student with not much experience around the whole observability scope, currently working on improving KubeVirt's observability(CNCF sandbox project).

I've just watched the observability 101 and I must say that it did give me some really good directions on how to proceed with my project.
I can recognize some old mistakes that I did with old monitoring projects, often making cargo culting and building metrics datalakes instead of good monitoring solutions. Probably it wouldn't have happened if I watched your presentation back then.

One thing that came to my mind when you talked about Monitoring vs Datalake, I guess that Machine Learning use-cases are starting to grow on the Observability field, so metrics' datalakes may not be garbage anymore. Of course that Monitoring and Machine Learning are two different things, but I think that both have some space at the Observability scope. WDYT?

Another thing that was tremendously helpful for me in your presentation was the clear definition of what I'm supposed to accomplish with Metrics, Logs, and Traces. When implementing new metrics, I often try to solve problems that are better suited to logging/tracing.

One topic that is still unclear to me is:  When should I need tracing? You say that tracing is expensive and should be treated with care, so how do I know if tracing is worth for a particular case?

Overall, I think that it was a wonderful presentation and I would recommend to anyone who is getting started with observability, like myself. And again, this is the opinion of someone not much experienced with all of this, maybe someone more experienced could give some feedback if what you are saying remains correct nowadays.

thanks,
Arthur

Em ter., 21 de jul. de 2020 às 14:04, Richard Hartmann <richih@...> escreveu:

Post it here, please. I do get FOSDEM feedback email too, but that's
invisible to this list.

Join cncf-tag-observability@lists.cncf.io to automatically receive all group messages.