Starting work on Operator Working Group

Guillaume Demonet

+1 for me as well, thanks for the initiative!

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 2:08 AM Peter Lunderbye <peter.lunderbye@...> wrote:
+1 Count me in

~ Peter

Från: cncf-sig-app-delivery@... <cncf-sig-app-delivery@...> för Bowen, Mike <mike.bowen@...>
Skickat: den 29 februari 2020 18:55
Till: prudraraju@... <prudraraju@...>; cncf-sig-app-delivery@... <cncf-sig-app-delivery@...>
Ämne: Re: [cncf-sig-app-delivery] Starting work on Operator Working Group

Please count me in.

-Mike Bowen

From: <cncf-sig-app-delivery@...> on behalf of "prudraraju via Lists.Cncf.Io" <prudraraju=salesforce.com@...>
Date: Friday, February 28, 2020 at 9:50 PM
To: "cncf-sig-app-delivery@..." <cncf-sig-app-delivery@...>
Cc: "cncf-sig-app-delivery@..." <cncf-sig-app-delivery@...>

External Email: Use caution with links and attachments

I am interested in joining. Looking forward to following standards set by the group.

This message may contain information that is confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender immediately and delete this message. See http://www.blackrock.com/corporate/compliance/email-disclaimers for further information.  Please refer to http://www.blackrock.com/corporate/compliance/privacy-policy for more information about BlackRock’s Privacy Policy.

For a list of BlackRock's office addresses worldwide, see http://www.blackrock.com/corporate/about-us/contacts-locations.

© 2020 BlackRock, Inc. All rights reserved.

--
Guillaume DEMONET
Scality - R&D Engineer

Nicolas Trangez <nicolas.trangez@...>

+1 very interested as well. K8s' continuous refinement from high-level
state declarations to real-world realization, and Operators/CRDs to
extend this model even further (including application/domain-specific
knowledge translated to code) are what makes an investment in K8s
compared to more traditional configuration management systems *really*
worthwhile.

Nicolas

On Mon, 2020-03-02 at 11:52 +0100, Guillaume Demonet via Lists.Cncf.Io
wrote:
+1 for me as well, thanks for the initiative!

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 2:08 AM Peter Lunderbye <
peter.lunderbye@...>
wrote:

+1 Count me in

~ Peter
------------------------------
*From: *<cncf-sig-app-delivery@...> on behalf of
"prudraraju
via Lists.Cncf.Io" <prudraraju=salesforce.com@...>
*Date: *Friday, February 28, 2020 at 9:50 PM
*To: *"cncf-sig-app-delivery@..." <
cncf-sig-app-delivery@...>
*Cc: *"cncf-sig-app-delivery@..." <
cncf-sig-app-delivery@...>
Working
Group

[...]

http://scality.com/ | Twitter: @scality <https://twitter.com/scality>

Naga Ravi Chaitanya Elluri

+1, I am in.

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 11:04 AM Reitbauer, Alois <alois.reitbauer@...> wrote:

Hello everybody,

As discussed a while back we are also planning a working group on Operators. This is the next step after starting the work on operator definition. During the creation of the document it became clear that there is more work to be done than simply a definition.  Also with operator related projects joining the CNCF and more and more project using operators to deploy and manage on Kubernetes there is a lot to be covered:

  • Best practices how to write operators e.g. CRDs, APIs, ….
  • Minimum requirements for a “valid” operator
  • Supporting projects with Operators
  • Coordination work among different operator framework.

As this is a working group, we will need people to do the actual work 😊. If you are willing to actively contribute, please simply reply to this thread.

// Alois

The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4020 Linz, Austria, Am Fünfundzwanziger Turm 20

Felipe Musse

Great initiative, I'm very interested in participating.

Gerred Dillon

Alois,

Are we ready to move to the next steps? The charter seems to be settling. I'd move to kick off an initial meeting, establish leadership, and establish the scope and times for this WG and begin reporting back to the SIG.

Gerred

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 12:01 PM Naga Ravi Chaitanya Elluri <nelluri@...> wrote:
[...]

james@...

I'd definitely be interested in being involved :) I'm especially keen to understand how we can:

* Define best practices around _deploying_ operators, including periphery components such as webhooks
* Community guidelines on how to release and manage API versions: Kubernetes defines a lot of this already, but it is not surfaced clearly and is non-trivial
* Guidelines on interoperability between operators, e.g. one third party extension depending on another (for context, in cert-manager we are often depended upon by other operators, which creates a 'dependency problem')

Despite have '''opinions''' in the past, I'm actually less concerned about inventing a strict definition for "operator vs controller", and I'm not that convinced that defining the difference is actually beneficial to users. All of these things are 'controllers' in essence, and beyond that, I think 'operator' gets thrown around as a bit of a marketing term of the back of the original CoreOS blog post on this about the "etcd-operator".

Thanks for putting this all together anyway, and looking forward to getting started :)

(sorry for the dupe if anyone got one, the CNCF lists page has the "Group Reply" button to the right and it took me a good 5 minutes to spot it!!)

Scott Nichols

I am interested in participating in this SIG.

I work on Knative and have spent a fair amount of time thinking about controllers and how to write them. I think the thing that no one has really talked about yet is the flavor and purpose of a controller/operator: I see three main types, one that extends functionality of K8s to do something new for you (like Knative Service) and a second type that is the operational instructions to keep a system running. A third is something that is reaching off the cluster to allow someone to write a declarative API for another component that might not be declarative.

Lumping these all into the same name of "Operator" seems forced.

I do like the Operator SDKs scales of an operator, and I think there might be a second axis around how broad that extension acts (its scope).

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 7:53 AM <james@...> wrote:
[...]

mhamdi.semah@...

I'd like to contribute. Looking forward to it.

Reitbauer, Alois

I am working on getting a meeting on the calendar next week.

From: <cncf-sig-app-delivery@...> on behalf of "mhamdi.semah via Lists.Cncf.Io" <mhamdi.semah=gmail.com@...>
Reply to: "mhamdi.semah@..." <mhamdi.semah@...>
Date: Friday, 13. March 2020 at 16:25
To: "cncf-sig-app-delivery@..." <cncf-sig-app-delivery@...>
Cc: "cncf-sig-app-delivery@..." <cncf-sig-app-delivery@...>

I'd like to contribute. Looking forward to it.

The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4020 Linz, Austria, Am Fünfundzwanziger Turm 20

Chris Hein

Thanks Alois, let us know if there is anything we can help with.

Chris Hein

From: <cncf-sig-app-delivery@...> on behalf of "mhamdi.semah via Lists.Cncf.Io" <mhamdi.semah=gmail.com@...>
Reply to: "mhamdi.semah@..." <mhamdi.semah@...>
Date: Friday, 13. March 2020 at 16:25