Date   

Application Enablement WG - Proposal/Charter

Thomas Schuetz
 

Hello everyone!

As discussed and presented in yesterday's SIG meeting, we'd like to establish a working group which deals with converging infrastructure and application deployment. If you are interested in this topic, please declare this in the current charter draft -> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n8AtfQQGJIJrsU-F-oGN6DVXE76E8OVCXsPpXkWgmBo/edit?usp=sharing. If you have ideas or suggestions, feel free to do so there.

The slide deck from yesterdays presentation can be found there: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/19xxTAFZFEsY89EL09POMnzeAjbAdJI8FOwybC0aJqDo/edit#slide=id.p

Best,
Thomas


Re: Application Delivery SIG looking for co-chairs and tech leads

Reitbauer, Alois
 

Hello everyone,

 

This is just a reminder that the nomination deadline for co chairs and tech leads ends tomorrow. I will inform you about next steps next week.

 

// Alois

 

From: Reitbauer, Alois <alois.reitbauer@...>
Date: Wednesday, 24. March 2021 at 19:47
To: cncf-sig-app-delivery@... <cncf-sig-app-delivery@...>
Subject: Application Delivery SIG looking for co-chairs and tech leads

Hello everyone.

 

A lot has happened in the application delivery SIG since it started. As times changes people’s obligations change as well. Bryan is busy in his new and exciting role and Harry was voted into the TOC. This leaves two open seats for co chairs in the app delivery SIG.

 

Just as a refresher you can find the charter of the working group here [1]

 

If you are interested what chairs are doing, I recommend the to read this [2]. Basically, chairs are ensuring the smooth operation of the SIG. This includes:

 

  • Ensuring proper meetings with agenda, engaging with projects, …
  • Steering and directing discussion between members.
  • Identifying new needs – for example for working groups – and helping to establish them
  • Supporting the TOC on project due diligence for projects in the scope of the SIG.

 

For SIG App delivery we are looking for co-chairs that also bring a strong technical expertise and good understand of how open source and cross company collaboration works. This is not an organizational role only. We are also looking for co-chairs from end user organizations. We also believe that the SIG profits from a wide area of expertise and an inclusive mindset.

 

If you are interested or want to nominate somebody, please reply to this thread and introduce them/yourself. We will close the nomination on April 9th.

 

If you want to take a leading role but want to focus more on a technical level without organizational responsibilities you can also apply for a tech lead role.

 

If you have any questions feel free to also reach out to me directly either via email (might take a bit longer) or Slack (CET++ business hours)

 

Alois for the SIG App Delivery chairs.

 

 

[1] https://github.com/cncf/toc/blob/main/sigs/app-delivery.md

[2] https://github.com/cncf/sig-security/blob/master/governance/roles.md

This email may contain confidential information. If it appears this message was sent to you by mistake, please let us know of the error. In this case, we also ask that you do not further forward the content and delete it. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4020 Linz, Austria, Am Fünfundzwanziger Turm 20.


Re: Application Delivery SIG looking for co-chairs and tech leads

wei wang
 

Hi, I would like to be co-chair position of the App Delivery SIG.

Regarding my proposal, I have the following reasons:

1. I am a senior architect of Tencent Cloud and have promoted the concept of cloud native as a CNCF ambassador. I hope to become a co-chairman and make more contributions to SIG
2. In order to reduce the development difficulty of developers in the Kuebrnetes environment, I created the Nocalhost project (https://github.com/nocalhost/nocalhost), which is in CNCF Landscape and welcomed by Chinese developers, plans to enter the CNCF Sandbox in the second half of this year
3. I focus on the field of application delivery. I completed the writing of two technical books in 2020, one is "Istio Handbook" and the other is "Spinnaker Handbook" which is directly related to the field of application delivery. It is China’s first book write about cloud-native Application delivery, both books will be published in China by China Industry Press in the second half of this year
4. I have experience in the field of application delivery and participated in the development of China’s first Spinnaker SaaS service, which is currently serving hundreds of companies in China
5. I am the city partner of China Cloud Native Community (cloudnative.to) and the organizer of CNCF ShenZhen community. I have excellent cross-enterprise organization experience.

Lastly and most importantly, I have more time to participate in SIG affairs and devote myself to the field of application delivery.

Thank you for your consideration.

Will Wang, senior architect of Tencent Group’s CODING DevOps (Tencent Cloud)

CNCF Ambassadors: https://www.cncf.io/people/ambassadors/
GitHub: https://github.com/lyzhang1999

Hongchao Deng <fengjingchao@...> 于2021年4月8日周四 上午9:45写道:

Dear all,

I would like to self-nominate for this role.

I fully support the charter of SIG-App-Delivery and participated in the SIG discussion. This role would enable me to take more responsibility to serve and support CNCF and the SIG, specifically:

  • Organize meetings and engage in technical discussion. I would like to ensure smooth meeting with agendas and provide guidance to new participants.
  • Review proposals and bridge people. I would like to ensure the quality of proposals, and support TOC and SIG members to reach the end results as much as possible.
  • Support new ideas and drive for innovations. SIG-AppDelivery is still young with many new exciting ideas. I would like to identify and support the new ideas, and when needed form new WGs (e.g. dev experience and/or ops experience, interpretability etc.).
  • Discovering and reaching out to new projects in app delivery area, and onboarding them into CNCF. I would do my best to build a healthy community and serve it as much as I could.


About my technical background and community experience:

  • TL & Staff Engineer at Alibaba. Previously TL at CoreOS.
  • I focus on community growth. I am one of the organizers of Cloud Native Community China (cloudnative.to). I have been mentoring the communities on technical discussion and organizational events.
  • I have strong technical experience in the Cloud Native Application area. I had been the co-creator of the etcd operator (first operator implementation) and advocated operator pattern to its maturity. I had lead a few critical features in K8S-SIG-Scheduling, K8S-SIG-Scalability. Now I am the core committer of OAM (oam.dev) and KubeVela (kubevela.io).


Above statements are my motivation for this role and my background in community mentorship. I hope to put my dedication to serving and growing the CNCF community in this role.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best,

Hongchao Deng

Staff Software Engineer at Alibaba

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/hongchao-deng/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/hongchaod

Github: https://github.com/hongchaodeng


Re: Application Delivery SIG looking for co-chairs and tech leads

Hongchao Deng
 

Dear all,

I would like to self-nominate for this role.

I fully support the charter of SIG-App-Delivery and participated in the SIG discussion. This role would enable me to take more responsibility to serve and support CNCF and the SIG, specifically:

  • Organize meetings and engage in technical discussion. I would like to ensure smooth meeting with agendas and provide guidance to new participants.
  • Review proposals and bridge people. I would like to ensure the quality of proposals, and support TOC and SIG members to reach the end results as much as possible.
  • Support new ideas and drive for innovations. SIG-AppDelivery is still young with many new exciting ideas. I would like to identify and support the new ideas, and when needed form new WGs (e.g. dev experience and/or ops experience, interpretability etc.).
  • Discovering and reaching out to new projects in app delivery area, and onboarding them into CNCF. I would do my best to build a healthy community and serve it as much as I could.


About my technical background and community experience:

  • TL & Staff Engineer at Alibaba. Previously TL at CoreOS.
  • I focus on community growth. I am one of the organizers of Cloud Native Community China (cloudnative.to). I have been mentoring the communities on technical discussion and organizational events.
  • I have strong technical experience in the Cloud Native Application area. I had been the co-creator of the etcd operator (first operator implementation) and advocated operator pattern to its maturity. I had lead a few critical features in K8S-SIG-Scheduling, K8S-SIG-Scalability. Now I am the core committer of OAM (oam.dev) and KubeVela (kubevela.io).


Above statements are my motivation for this role and my background in community mentorship. I hope to put my dedication to serving and growing the CNCF community in this role.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best,

Hongchao Deng

Staff Software Engineer at Alibaba

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/hongchao-deng/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/hongchaod

Github: https://github.com/hongchaodeng


Invitation: CNCF App Delivery Meeting @ Wed Apr 14, 2021 8am - 9am (PDT) (cncf-sig-app-delivery@lists.cncf.io)

Amye Scavarda Perrin
 

You have been invited to the following event.

CNCF App Delivery Meeting

When
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8am – 9am Pacific Time - Los Angeles
Where
https://zoom.us/my/cncfsigappdelivery (map)
Calendar
cncf-sig-app-delivery@...
Who
ascavarda@... - creator
cncf-sig-app-delivery@...
Attachments
CNCF SIG-App-Delivery Meeting Notes
AGENDA: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OykvqvhSG4AxEdmDMXilrupsX2n1qCSJUWwTc3I7AOs/edit#

Repo: https://github.com/cncf/sig-app-delivery

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/7276783015?pwd=R0RJMkRzQ1ZjcmE0WERGcTJTOEVyUT09
Passcode: 77777

One tap mobile
+16699006833,,7276783015# US (San Jose)
+16465588656,,7276783015# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
        877 369 0926 US Toll-free
        855 880 1246 US Toll-free
Meeting ID: 727 678 3015
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/avp4OaQTG

Going (cncf-sig-app-delivery@...)?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this courtesy email at the account cncf-sig-app-delivery@... because you are an attendee of this event.

To stop receiving future updates for this event, decline this event. Alternatively you can sign up for a Google account at https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ and control your notification settings for your entire calendar.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to send a response to the organizer and be added to the guest list, or invite others regardless of their own invitation status, or to modify your RSVP. Learn More.


Re: Moving today's meeting

Jared Watts
 

Hey there Alois - I'd love for us not to lose momentum on the Crossplane incubation efforts. It's a high priority goal for the project to finish the Incubation process before Kubecon EU starts May 4th (I'm sure other projects are in the same boat).
 
If we cannot present to the SIG until next week, is it possible to dig into the due diligence this week in parallel so that we don't set the timeline back a full week?
 
 
Thank you for your consideration and assistance with moving Crossplane's incubation towards the TOC vote :)


Moving today's meeting

Reitbauer, Alois
 

Hello everyone,

 

Harry and I both cannot make it today’s meeting. I am proposing we skip the meeting today and move the meeting to next week.

 

 

This email may contain confidential information. If it appears this message was sent to you by mistake, please let us know of the error. In this case, we also ask that you do not further forward the content and delete it. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4020 Linz, Austria, Am Fünfundzwanziger Turm 20.


Re: [gitops-wg] Monday: GitOps WG Principles Sync #2

Dan Garfield
 

I'm sorry I'll be out of town this week but I'll follow the progress. Thanks everyone. 


On Sat, Apr 3, 2021, 11:06 AM Scott Rigby <scott@...> wrote:
Happy weekend everyone 👋

When: Monday 5 April, 7pm Universal / 3pm Eastern / 12pm Pacific
What/Why: Live sync sessions to arrive at an initial, pre-release version of the GitOps Principles (see Current Plan)
How: See the meeting agenda/notes for links to the HackMD doc and Zoom

See you all then 🙂

--
Scott Rigby
Developer Experience, Weaveworks


GitOps WG April meeting

Cornelia Davis
 

Hello all.

We've put out the word a number of different places but I wanted to cover things via this email list too. To avoid a variety of spring holidays, the GitOps WG will be holding its April meeting on the 15th at 18:00 GMT. The CNCF calendar should be updated shortly. The meeting notes doc and the github meetings page are both accurate.

Cornelia

--
Cornelia Davis
CTO, Weaveworks
@cdavisafc
+1 805 452 8941


[gitops-wg] Monday: GitOps WG Principles Sync #2

Scott Rigby
 

Happy weekend everyone 👋

When: Monday 5 April, 7pm Universal / 3pm Eastern / 12pm Pacific
What/Why: Live sync sessions to arrive at an initial, pre-release version of the GitOps Principles (see Current Plan)
How: See the meeting agenda/notes for links to the HackMD doc and Zoom

See you all then 🙂

--
Scott Rigby
Developer Experience, Weaveworks


Congratulations to our GitOps Working Group co-chairs

Cornelia Davis
 

Hello all.

First, I would like to thank everyone for the nominations - I was very impressed by both the level of interest from the community and the stellar credentials of all those who stepped up and were willing to serve. I'm sure that I speak for the entire GitOps WG when I say that I look forward to working with all of you.

The results are in. Our GitOps Working group co-chairs are (in alphabetical order):
  • Dan Garfield, Codefresh 
  • Leonardo Murillo, Cloud Native Architects
  • Scott Rigby, Weaveworks
Once again, thank you to everyone who stepped up to serve and to all of you for your ongoing engagement.

Best,
Cornelia
--
Cornelia Davis
CTO, Weaveworks
@cdavisafc
+1 805 452 8941


GitOps WG co-chair election update

Cornelia Davis
 

Hello all.

Please forgive the delay in sending you all an update, and for my naivete on logistics - let me give you an update now.

I'm afraid that I made an error in setting a time limit on the voting period. While I had hoped to get enough people voting within the one week period I specified, I'm afraid that hasn't happened. The CNCF TOC has the right approach - they open a vote and it remains open until 8 of 11 TOC members have voted. That is, roughly 75% of the TOC needs to vote to reach a conclusion. For our vote we have 5 maintainers so I will close the vote once I have 4/5. We're close, but I cannot 100% predict when we will reach that milestone. You all will be the first to know when it does happen.

More to follow soon.

Cornelia

--
Cornelia Davis
CTO, Weaveworks
@cdavisafc
+1 805 452 8941


Re: [gitops-wg] Artwork consensus

Scott Rigby
 

📣 We have reached consensus on logo designs for both the GitOps Working Group and OpenGitOps!

👀 The current designs are in this discussion thread (be sure to click "view more" to see everything).

🔎 If you're interested in the detailed steps of rolling out the designs, follow this issue.

👏 Thanks again @iboonox and everyone who participated!

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 at 22:11, Scott Rigby <scott@...> wrote:
Hello again 👋

Please voice your thoughts – concerns, praise or otherwise – on the artwork design so far:
  • Discussion #63 (active for 24 days. Note: click "read more" on long discussion threads)
  • Issue #100 (includes latest iterations)
This is important for CNCF project onboarding. In the last GitOps WG meeting we agreed to timebox the logo/artwork consensus. Let's timebox responses until 5PM PT on March 31.

Either comments or emoji reactions are very welcome!
  • 👀 means you're looking (but we won't necessarily wait for another response)
  • 👍😀🎉❤️🚀 means yes, with varying levels of enthusiasm (feel free to use more than one!) 
  • 👎😕 means you have a legitimate concern – please specify what/why in a discussion comment for the issue to be discussed and considered
Thanks for participating ✨🗳

--
Scott Rigby
Developer Experience, Weaveworks


--
Scott Rigby
Developer Experience, Weaveworks


Re: Nomination of Jennifer Strejevitch as a Co-Chair of SIG App-Delivery

Jennifer Strejevitch
 

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the nomination! I would like to formally accept it. From the work with the Operator Working Group I can see that there are a lot of initiatives that we can work on in the future and how to organise and progress with our objectives. Given my technical background it would fit very well in the SIG-App-Delivery area. For many years I've been working in Infrastructure and development teams aiming for raising the quality and reliability bar of our organizations, defining best practices in collaboration with developers and leadership.

All the best,

Jennifer

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 at 12:51, Thomas Schuetz via lists.cncf.io <thomas.schuetz=dynatrace.com@...> wrote:

Hello everyone!


I’d like to nominate Jennifer Strejevitch as co-chair of the CNCF SIG App-Delivery. Starting on the first meeting she joined the Operator WG which we are co-chairing currently, her efforts were significant for the current state of the white paper. I think she would be a perfect fit for a SIG co-chair because she demonstrated very good skills in organizing and structuring a large amount of work, is always open for discussion and provides very good ideas and recommendations beyond her background in Kubernetes and operations. She is also able to obtain knowledge about new technologies in a very fast way.

 

She has been in the industry for over 13 years with experience in Software Development, Cloud Infrastructure, leadership and SRE. Currently, she is working as a Senior Engineer at VMware working in R&D where she designs solutions for highly scalable Kubernetes platforms and is passionate about software quality. As co-chair, she wants to use her skills and experience beyond her company to help the open source community move forward and make it accessible to more diverse groups. She was previously part of the CNCF End user group and is now co-chairing the SIG-App-Delivery Operator Working Group, driving the progress of the Operator White-paper. In her community participation, she has given Kubernetes and Python workshops for underrepresented groups, written blog posts, given talks, including an End User Panel at KubeCon EU 2020. She enjoys long walks in nature and eating food from all over the world (she didn’t say cooking).  


LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/%F0%9F%8C%BB-jennifer-s-a00b5527/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/__Jenninha

GitHub: https://github.com/jenniferstrej

Stackoverflow: https://stackoverflow.com/users/1445377/jenninha

                        https://stackoverflow.com/cv/jennifer    


Thanks in advance for your consideration!
Best, Thomas



--
Jennifer


Re: Application Delivery SIG looking for co-chairs and tech leads

matthewclarke47@...
 

Hi, I would like to be considered for the co-chair position of the App Delivery SIG. 


About me:


I am a Senior Infrastructure Engineer in Spotify’s deployment infrastructure team. There I am responsible for our tooling to deploy services quickly and safely to Kubernetes, as well as our open source container orchestration system Helios. 


I have a proven track record of advocacy for open source software. At Spotify I led a project to provide Automated Canary Analysis as a service; for this I recommended Argo Rollouts, where I am active in the user community and have contributed additional functionality. In order to deliver this project I showed organisational and communication skills by organising, delegating and planning the required work and communicating the new functionality to the developers at Spotify.


I have also contributed to the CNCF sandbox project Backstage, integrating both Kubernetes and Argo Rollouts with this project as well as providing community support for end users. 

Here I communicated the changes with the community through detailed RFCs[2][3], ensuring that we were building an open source solution that would work for a diverse community of developers.


Before Spotify I worked at the Financial Times and was one of the technical leads for the adoption of CNCF tools like Kubernetes, Prometheus and Fluentd[1].


I believe community involvement is important for the development of open source software and I have given presentations about Spotify’s use of Argo Rollouts at the Argo Rollouts community meetings, as well as at CNCF End-User SIG DX meetings. 


As an end user co-chair, I would be able to provide valuable perspective about the issues the app delivery community faces. I would aim to increase visibility of the app delivery problems that users are facing, with the aim of forming working groups to address those issues with a diverse and inclusive input from the community.


If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Matt Clarke
Senior Infrastructure Engineer @ Spotify


https://www.linkedin.com/in/matthewclarke47/

https://github.com/mclarke47


[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H06qrNmGqyE

[2] https://github.com/backstage/backstage/issues/2461

[3] https://github.com/backstage/backstage/issues/2857

 


Re: Self-nomination as a Tech-Lead of the SIG App-Delivery (Thomas Schuetz)

Thomas Schuetz
 

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 09:04 AM, Matt Farina wrote:
Thomas,
 
Hello Matt! 

Thank you for your set of questions, I hope that I can clarify some of them ...
 
I had a few questions I was hoping you could help with... to further dig into what you'd like to do...
 
SIG App Delivery is scoped with developing, distributing, deploying, managing and operating applications. It's more than the delivery portion we often think about. How do you see yourself being able to provide technical leadership in areas such as developing cloud native applications?
 
For me it's clear that we are not only dealing with the delivery portion, and as I said that I have a strong interest in cloud native delivery I meant that this is one of the topics which has my full attention at the moment besides many other ones. As you might also have read, I spent a lot of time in my professional life dealing with deploying, managing and operating applications, but also designing and operating IT infrastructures. Personally, I think that there is often a gap between infrastructure and application development and one thing I want to deal with is bringing these worlds together. Although I'm not the most experienced software developer, I think I have enough and a broad understanding about cloud native concepts and cloud computing itself to provide leadership in this area.
 
You noted...
I want to get Tech-Lead to help projects evolve, get more oversight about projects, provide ideas for new topic areas and give technical advisories for app-delivery related topicsI'm curious what you mean when you say "get more oversight about projects". Can you explain further? The context is that I'm a maintainer of a couple projects that fall under SIG App Delivery and I'm curious about the impact.
As a SIG within the CNCF, it's our main responsibility to bring projects together, but also to get ideas how they could help end-users. To achieve this, I want to provide more oversight about projects in the SIG's area. Personally, I also like the idea of demonstrating end-users, how multiple projects (especially in the infrastructure deployment, packaging, distribution and deployment scope) could interact and create value for them. Furthermore, I love to see new projects growing and will try to build bridges between projects and - if they want - could also help them building end-user friendly solutions. 
Could you provide some examples of technical advisories as you're suggesting them? I'm curious what you're thinking and how it maps to the work being done in the space.
As a Tech Lead, I think I need to have a knowledge-based opinion. Therefore, it might be the case that someone asks for advisory/recommendation, and I'll provide this in the best way possible. As I stated in my nomination, I like experimenting and learning. I'm not afraid of trying things out, and providing the configurations and results to the community. On the other hand there might be topics which are not in my area of expertise. In such cases I will connect the right people, find a solution together and provide the results to the community. 

Best, Thomas

Thanks,
Matt
 
On Thu, Mar 25, 2021, at 6:01 AM, Thomas Schuetz via lists.cncf.io wrote:
Hello!
 
I’m very excited to nominate myself as Tech-Lead for the CNCF SIG App-Delivery.
 
I am working as a Senior Cloud Engineer at Dynatrace and have a strong technical interest in container technologies and cloud native application delivery. In the last two decades, I worked in various systems administration and operations roles, but also worked as an operations lead before I switched back to more hands-on technical roles and (re-)discovered my enthusiasm for cloud-native and infrastructure automation related topics. I like to learn new things and working with emerging technologies, so I’m currently building lots of prototypes to discover new possibilities to solve delivery related problems.
 
Last year, I joined the SIG App Delivery and drove the progress of the Operator Working Group. This year, I became a co-chair of the WG and like to work with the community on the common goal of creating an operator white paper. I want to get Tech-Lead to help projects evolve, get more oversight about projects, provide ideas for new topic areas and give technical advisories for app-delivery related topics.
 
Thanks in advance for your consideration!
 
Best, Thomas
 
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/thschue/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ThSchue
GitHub https://github.com/thschue
 


[gitops-wg] GitOpsCon Call For Proposals open through April 16, 2021

Scott Rigby
 

Might be of interest to folks here.

📢✨The GitOps Working Group is putting together a KubeCon/CloudNativeCon Day 0 event! Come share your experiences and best practices with us at GitOpsCon EU 2021! Call For Proposals open through April 16, 2021:

✍️ CFP form link


--
Scott Rigby
Developer Experience, Weaveworks


Re: Application Delivery SIG looking for co-chairs and tech leads

Alex Jones
 

Hi Matt!

Firstly, thank you for reaching out - these are great questions and certainly ones I should be able to answer right.


Where do you see the line between breathing new life into projects and pushing to archive projects that need new life? Projects may be early stage or experiments that don't pan out. Isn't that ok?

I’ll paraphrase here but, essentially I am of the opinion the SIG serves the community and as such it is instantiated from end-users with real challenges and needs for innovation. With that said, it stands to reason that the activity within a project should be function of how relevant the domain area is to the lives of those within our cloud native tribe - but also acknowledging areas that can help to provide innovation, which is partially a responsibility of the technical counsel within the SIG.


Projects are also self governed. SIGs do not sit in a management spot above them. How do you see being able to breathe new life into projects from a technical sense?

I believe there are two potentialities of technical capabilities within the SIG, firstly to provide lateral enablement of projects - connecting community members to proliferate knowledge and technical capabilities, but also to be a forcing function to ask ourselves honestly is the project held back by technology or is it solving for a problem that doesn’t exist?


In my career I've seen entirely different paths take root and be useful. For example, Chef used a pull based model while Ansible often used a push based model. Both can and have been used effectively. How do you think about standardization compared to providing tools that enable a variety of models to accomplish things?


I am having a similar conversation in SIG Observability and I think as we all probably know, it is not about providing a prescriptive set of techniques - rather guidance on a critical path to success and interoperability with the cloud native ecosystem. 

Push/Pull is a great example of paradigms that are both viable in edge computing or super high scale infra ( I am thinking of how we used to run 10,000 rp/s telemetry systems at AMEX). Ultimately though these implementations would come under a standard of how the data is collected and the outcomes this facilitates.

I would think in a similar vein to your example, with IaC you are more invested in helping end-users to understand and benefit from patterns than implementations.


People disagree on best practices. Even those at different vendors or "industry leaders". How would that be incorporated to your work on best practices?

Discourse is healthy and the root of genuine collective progress. 

I would see myself form part of a rational counsel that acknowledges difference in opinion and weighs that against a criteria that is aligned with end-user benefits. It is completely normal for vendors to want to participate in SIG’s but we need experience and oversight; there should be a robust decision making process ( as per the CNCF due diligence ) to ensure fair and inclusive participation.



Happy to jump on zoom/slack if you want to talk further.

Alex


On 25 Mar 2021, at 16:26, Matt Farina <matt@...> wrote:

Alex,

As a maintainer of a couple projects that fall under SIG App Delivery, I have some questions about your thoughts on tech leading...

believe I could help breathe new life into projects from a technical standpoint

Where do you see the line between breathing new life into projects and pushing to archive projects that need new life? Projects may be early stage or experiments that don't pan out. Isn't that ok?

Projects are also self governed. SIGs do not sit in a management spot above them. How do you see being able to breathe new life into projects from a technical sense?

This has given rise to the personal belief that there is a clear need for a level of community work to explore the space of standardisation and opinion on best practice ( whether that is operator life cycle management, application & infrastructure specs or advanced deployment paradigms). 

In my career I've seen entirely different paths take root and be useful. For example, Chef used a pull based model while Ansible often used a push based model. Both can and have been used effectively. How do you think about standardization compared to providing tools that enable a variety of models to accomplish things?

People disagree on best practices. Even those at different vendors or "industry leaders". How would that be incorporated to your work on best practices?

Thanks,
Matt

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021, at 11:44 AM, Alex Jones wrote:
I would like to self nominate to for a tech lead role within the SIG.

In the short time I have been involved, I have emphasised a bias towards action and believe I could help breathe new life into projects from a technical standpoint.

I currently work as a VP of SRE at JPMC and am moving into a principal engineer role at an extremely ambitious cloud computing company.
This affords me ample time to spend investing energy into this space.

Throughout my career, the domain of App Delivery has had a gravity that I have operated within. 
My roles have often been to enable thousands of engineers to deploy workloads with just-enough-infrastructure, architecting complex poly-tenancy multi-cloud solutions or designing specification for delivery that is governable. 

This has given rise to the personal belief that there is a clear need for a level of community work to explore the space of standardisation and opinion on best practice ( whether that is operator life cycle management, application & infrastructure specs or advanced deployment paradigms). 

What I lack in tenure within the SIG,  I will make up for in dedication and expertise.

Thank you for your consideration,

Alex Jones





On 24 Mar 2021, at 18:47, Reitbauer, Alois via lists.cncf.io <alois.reitbauer=dynatrace.com@...> wrote:

Hello everyone. 
 
A lot has happened in the application delivery SIG since it started. As times changes people’s obligations change as well. Bryan is busy in his new and exciting role and Harry was voted into the TOC. This leaves two open seats for co chairs in the app delivery SIG.
 
Just as a refresher you can find the charter of the working group here [1]
 
If you are interested what chairs are doing, I recommend the to read this [2]. Basically, chairs are ensuring the smooth operation of the SIG. This includes:
 
  • Ensuring proper meetings with agenda, engaging with projects, …
  • Steering and directing discussion between members.
  • Identifying new needs – for example for working groups – and helping to establish them
  • Supporting the TOC on project due diligence for projects in the scope of the SIG.
 
For SIG App delivery we are looking for co-chairs that also bring a strong technical expertise and good understand of how open source and cross company collaboration works. This is not an organizational role only. We are also looking for co-chairs from end user organizations. We also believe that the SIG profits from a wide area of expertise and an inclusive mindset.
 
If you are interested or want to nominate somebody, please reply to this thread and introduce them/yourself. We will close the nomination on April 9th.
 
If you want to take a leading role but want to focus more on a technical level without organizational responsibilities you can also apply for a tech lead role.
 
If you have any questions feel free to also reach out to me directly either via email (might take a bit longer) or Slack (CET++ business hours)
 
Alois for the SIG App Delivery chairs. 
 
 
This email may contain confidential information. If it appears this message was sent to you by mistake, please let us know of the error. In this case, we also ask that you do not further forward the content and delete it. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4020 Linz, Austria, Am Fünfundzwanziger Turm 20.



Re: Application Delivery SIG looking for co-chairs and tech leads

Matt Farina
 

Alex,

As a maintainer of a couple projects that fall under SIG App Delivery, I have some questions about your thoughts on tech leading...

believe I could help breathe new life into projects from a technical standpoint

Where do you see the line between breathing new life into projects and pushing to archive projects that need new life? Projects may be early stage or experiments that don't pan out. Isn't that ok?

Projects are also self governed. SIGs do not sit in a management spot above them. How do you see being able to breathe new life into projects from a technical sense?

This has given rise to the personal belief that there is a clear need for a level of community work to explore the space of standardisation and opinion on best practice ( whether that is operator life cycle management, application & infrastructure specs or advanced deployment paradigms). 

In my career I've seen entirely different paths take root and be useful. For example, Chef used a pull based model while Ansible often used a push based model. Both can and have been used effectively. How do you think about standardization compared to providing tools that enable a variety of models to accomplish things?

People disagree on best practices. Even those at different vendors or "industry leaders". How would that be incorporated to your work on best practices?

Thanks,
Matt

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021, at 11:44 AM, Alex Jones wrote:
I would like to self nominate to for a tech lead role within the SIG.

In the short time I have been involved, I have emphasised a bias towards action and believe I could help breathe new life into projects from a technical standpoint.

I currently work as a VP of SRE at JPMC and am moving into a principal engineer role at an extremely ambitious cloud computing company.
This affords me ample time to spend investing energy into this space.

Throughout my career, the domain of App Delivery has had a gravity that I have operated within. 
My roles have often been to enable thousands of engineers to deploy workloads with just-enough-infrastructure, architecting complex poly-tenancy multi-cloud solutions or designing specification for delivery that is governable. 

This has given rise to the personal belief that there is a clear need for a level of community work to explore the space of standardisation and opinion on best practice ( whether that is operator life cycle management, application & infrastructure specs or advanced deployment paradigms). 

What I lack in tenure within the SIG,  I will make up for in dedication and expertise.

Thank you for your consideration,

Alex Jones





On 24 Mar 2021, at 18:47, Reitbauer, Alois via lists.cncf.io <alois.reitbauer=dynatrace.com@...> wrote:

Hello everyone. 
 
A lot has happened in the application delivery SIG since it started. As times changes people’s obligations change as well. Bryan is busy in his new and exciting role and Harry was voted into the TOC. This leaves two open seats for co chairs in the app delivery SIG.
 
Just as a refresher you can find the charter of the working group here [1]
 
If you are interested what chairs are doing, I recommend the to read this [2]. Basically, chairs are ensuring the smooth operation of the SIG. This includes:
 
  • Ensuring proper meetings with agenda, engaging with projects, …
  • Steering and directing discussion between members.
  • Identifying new needs – for example for working groups – and helping to establish them
  • Supporting the TOC on project due diligence for projects in the scope of the SIG.
 
For SIG App delivery we are looking for co-chairs that also bring a strong technical expertise and good understand of how open source and cross company collaboration works. This is not an organizational role only. We are also looking for co-chairs from end user organizations. We also believe that the SIG profits from a wide area of expertise and an inclusive mindset.
 
If you are interested or want to nominate somebody, please reply to this thread and introduce them/yourself. We will close the nomination on April 9th.
 
If you want to take a leading role but want to focus more on a technical level without organizational responsibilities you can also apply for a tech lead role.
 
If you have any questions feel free to also reach out to me directly either via email (might take a bit longer) or Slack (CET++ business hours)
 
Alois for the SIG App Delivery chairs. 
 
 
This email may contain confidential information. If it appears this message was sent to you by mistake, please let us know of the error. In this case, we also ask that you do not further forward the content and delete it. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4020 Linz, Austria, Am Fünfundzwanziger Turm 20.


Re: Self-nomination as a Tech-Lead of the SIG App-Delivery (Thomas Schuetz)

Matt Farina
 

Thomas,

I had a few questions I was hoping you could help with... to further dig into what you'd like to do...

SIG App Delivery is scoped with developing, distributing, deploying, managing and operating applications. It's more than the delivery portion we often think about. How do you see yourself being able to provide technical leadership in areas such as developing cloud native applications?

You noted...
I want to get Tech-Lead to help projects evolve, get more oversight about projects, provide ideas for new topic areas and give technical advisories for app-delivery related topics.

I'm curious what you mean when you say "get more oversight about projects". Can you explain further? The context is that I'm a maintainer of a couple projects that fall under SIG App Delivery and I'm curious about the impact.

Could you provide some examples of technical advisories as you're suggesting them? I'm curious what you're thinking and how it maps to the work being done in the space.

Thanks,
Matt

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021, at 6:01 AM, Thomas Schuetz via lists.cncf.io wrote:
Hello!

I’m very excited to nominate myself as Tech-Lead for the CNCF SIG App-Delivery.
 
I am working as a Senior Cloud Engineer at Dynatrace and have a strong technical interest in container technologies and cloud native application delivery. In the last two decades, I worked in various systems administration and operations roles, but also worked as an operations lead before I switched back to more hands-on technical roles and (re-)discovered my enthusiasm for cloud-native and infrastructure automation related topics. I like to learn new things and working with emerging technologies, so I’m currently building lots of prototypes to discover new possibilities to solve delivery related problems.
 
Last year, I joined the SIG App Delivery and drove the progress of the Operator Working Group. This year, I became a co-chair of the WG and like to work with the community on the common goal of creating an operator white paper. I want to get Tech-Lead to help projects evolve, get more oversight about projects, provide ideas for new topic areas and give technical advisories for app-delivery related topics.

Thanks in advance for your consideration!

Best, Thomas

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/thschue/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ThSchue
GitHub https://github.com/thschue

41 - 60 of 307