Date

Re: Application Delivery SIG looking for co-chairs and tech leads

Alex Jones

I would like to self nominate to for a tech lead role within the SIG.

In the short time I have been involved, I have emphasised a bias towards action and believe I could help breathe new life into projects from a technical standpoint.

I currently work as a VP of SRE at JPMC and am moving into a principal engineer role at an extremely ambitious cloud computing company.
This affords me ample time to spend investing energy into this space.

Throughout my career, the domain of App Delivery has had a gravity that I have operated within.
My roles have often been to enable thousands of engineers to deploy workloads with just-enough-infrastructure, architecting complex poly-tenancy multi-cloud solutions or designing specification for delivery that is governable.

This has given rise to the personal belief that there is a clear need for a level of community work to explore the space of standardisation and opinion on best practice ( whether that is operator life cycle management, application & infrastructure specs or advanced deployment paradigms).

What I lack in tenure within the SIG,  I will make up for in dedication and expertise.

Thank you for your consideration,

Alex Jones

On 24 Mar 2021, at 18:47, Reitbauer, Alois via lists.cncf.io <alois.reitbauer=dynatrace.com@...> wrote:

Hello everyone.

A lot has happened in the application delivery SIG since it started. As times changes people’s obligations change as well. Bryan is busy in his new and exciting role and Harry was voted into the TOC. This leaves two open seats for co chairs in the app delivery SIG.

Just as a refresher you can find the charter of the working group here [1]

If you are interested what chairs are doing, I recommend the to read this [2]. Basically, chairs are ensuring the smooth operation of the SIG. This includes:

  • Ensuring proper meetings with agenda, engaging with projects, …
  • Steering and directing discussion between members.
  • Identifying new needs – for example for working groups – and helping to establish them
  • Supporting the TOC on project due diligence for projects in the scope of the SIG.

For SIG App delivery we are looking for co-chairs that also bring a strong technical expertise and good understand of how open source and cross company collaboration works. This is not an organizational role only. We are also looking for co-chairs from end user organizations. We also believe that the SIG profits from a wide area of expertise and an inclusive mindset.

If you are interested or want to nominate somebody, please reply to this thread and introduce them/yourself. We will close the nomination on April 9th.

If you want to take a leading role but want to focus more on a technical level without organizational responsibilities you can also apply for a tech lead role.

If you have any questions feel free to also reach out to me directly either via email (might take a bit longer) or Slack (CET++ business hours)

Alois for the SIG App Delivery chairs.

This email may contain confidential information. If it appears this message was sent to you by mistake, please let us know of the error. In this case, we also ask that you do not further forward the content and delete it. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4020 Linz, Austria, Am Fünfundzwanziger Turm 20.

Re: Application Delivery SIG looking for co-chairs and tech leads

Tracy Ragan

Alois,

Please add me as a nominee for the App Delivery SIG. Cross pollinating between the CDF and CNCF on this topic will be important to both organizations as we move forward in this critical area. My background in App delivery, experience working with the open source community and my commitment to this space makes me an excellent candidate for this co-chair. My full background can be found at https://www.deployhub.com/tracy-ragan/

Cheers

[1] https://github.com/cncf/toc/blob/main/sigs/app-delivery.md

[2] https://github.com/cncf/sig-security/blob/master/governance/roles.md

--
Kind Regards,

Tracy Ragan
CEO and Co-Founder / DeployHub / tel: + 1.505.424.6440/ mob: +1.505.780.0558
Follow me on: Blog / Twitter Facebook / LinkedIn / YouTube / GitHub
We make microservices easy.

Nomination of Jennifer Strejevitch as a Co-Chair of SIG App-Delivery

Thomas Schuetz

Hello everyone!

I’d like to nominate Jennifer Strejevitch as co-chair of the CNCF SIG App-Delivery. Starting on the first meeting she joined the Operator WG which we are co-chairing currently, her efforts were significant for the current state of the white paper. I think she would be a perfect fit for a SIG co-chair because she demonstrated very good skills in organizing and structuring a large amount of work, is always open for discussion and provides very good ideas and recommendations beyond her background in Kubernetes and operations. She is also able to obtain knowledge about new technologies in a very fast way.

She has been in the industry for over 13 years with experience in Software Development, Cloud Infrastructure, leadership and SRE. Currently, she is working as a Senior Engineer at VMware working in R&D where she designs solutions for highly scalable Kubernetes platforms and is passionate about software quality. As co-chair, she wants to use her skills and experience beyond her company to help the open source community move forward and make it accessible to more diverse groups. She was previously part of the CNCF End user group and is now co-chairing the SIG-App-Delivery Operator Working Group, driving the progress of the Operator White-paper. In her community participation, she has given Kubernetes and Python workshops for underrepresented groups, written blog posts, given talks, including an End User Panel at KubeCon EU 2020. She enjoys long walks in nature and eating food from all over the world (she didn’t say cooking).

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/%F0%9F%8C%BB-jennifer-s-a00b5527/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/__Jenninha

GitHub: https://github.com/jenniferstrej

Stackoverflow: https://stackoverflow.com/users/1445377/jenninha

                        https://stackoverflow.com/cv/jennifer

Thanks in advance for your consideration!
Best, Thomas

Self-nomination as a Tech-Lead of the SIG App-Delivery (Thomas Schuetz)

Thomas Schuetz

Hello!

I’m very excited to nominate myself as Tech-Lead for the CNCF SIG App-Delivery.

I am working as a Senior Cloud Engineer at Dynatrace and have a strong technical interest in container technologies and cloud native application delivery. In the last two decades, I worked in various systems administration and operations roles, but also worked as an operations lead before I switched back to more hands-on technical roles and (re-)discovered my enthusiasm for cloud-native and infrastructure automation related topics. I like to learn new things and working with emerging technologies, so I’m currently building lots of prototypes to discover new possibilities to solve delivery related problems.

Last year, I joined the SIG App Delivery and drove the progress of the Operator Working Group. This year, I became a co-chair of the WG and like to work with the community on the common goal of creating an operator white paper. I want to get Tech-Lead to help projects evolve, get more oversight about projects, provide ideas for new topic areas and give technical advisories for app-delivery related topics.

Thanks in advance for your consideration!

Best, Thomas

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/thschue/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ThSchue
GitHub https://github.com/thschue

[gitops-wg] Artwork consensus

Scott Rigby

Hello again 👋

Please voice your thoughts – concerns, praise or otherwise – on the artwork design so far:
  • Discussion #63 (active for 24 days. Note: click "read more" on long discussion threads)
  • Issue #100 (includes latest iterations)
This is important for CNCF project onboarding. In the last GitOps WG meeting we agreed to timebox the logo/artwork consensus. Let's timebox responses until 5PM PT on March 31.

Either comments or emoji reactions are very welcome!
  • 👀 means you're looking (but we won't necessarily wait for another response)
  • 👍😀🎉❤️🚀 means yes, with varying levels of enthusiasm (feel free to use more than one!)
  • 👎😕 means you have a legitimate concern – please specify what/why in a discussion comment for the issue to be discussed and considered
Thanks for participating ✨🗳

--
Scott Rigby
Developer Experience, Weaveworks

Application Delivery SIG looking for co-chairs and tech leads

Reitbauer, Alois

[...]

Re: [gitops-wg] Sandbox project name change

Cornelia Davis

Alois,

While the working group was the initial idea, we quickly came to the conclusion that we needed a project that would outlive the WG. So it is that the WG supports the project, not the other way around. In fact, if you have a listen to the sandbox review of Jan 26, where the GitOps sandbox project was approved by the TOC, the members expressed some concern with having a sandbox project with "working group" in the name - the ultimately suggested that when the time was right, that concern would be addressed. That is exactly what we are doing right now. As Scott summarized here, we have general consensus that this renaming reduces confusion.

Cornelia

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 at 01:23, Reitbauer, Alois via lists.cncf.io <alois.reitbauer=dynatrace.com@...> wrote:

Initially this was planned as a supporting project for working group. Now you want to keep them separated. This is more than confusing and weird ….

From: cncf-sig-app-delivery@... <cncf-sig-app-delivery@...> on behalf of Scott Rigby via lists.cncf.io <scott=weave.works@...>
Date: Friday, 19. March 2021 at 17:53
To: cncf-sig-app-delivery@... <cncf-sig-app-delivery@...>
Subject: [cncf-sig-app-delivery] [gitops-wg] Sandbox project name change

📣🚧 Hi everyone! What's in a name?

What: We have loose consensus on OpenGitOps for the sandbox project name. This is to help distinguish the lasting project from the GitOps Working Group (a WG under SIG Apps Delivery).

When: 5PM EST Today (Friday Mar 19). It's important to get this sorted before sending out detailed info about the Working Group (e.g., for GitOpsCon EU 2021 communications). The Sandbox project name change proposal has been up for two weeks, has been discussed in the GitOps Working Group meetings, and in slack.

How: Please respond to the GitHub discussion for transparency (emoji reactions also very welcome! ❤️). If there are any strong objections to that name, please describe why there as well (no bikeshedding please). Reminder: this is a vendor-neutral, community movement that everyone has a chance to participate in. We're all very excited to keep the momentum going. Thanks! 🚀

--

Scott Rigby
Developer Experience, Weaveworks

This email may contain confidential information. If it appears this message was sent to you by mistake, please let us know of the error. In this case, we also ask that you do not further forward the content and delete it. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4020 Linz, Austria, Am Fünfundzwanziger Turm 20.

--
Cornelia Davis
CTO, Weaveworks
@cdavisafc
+1 805 452 8941

From: cncf-sig-app-delivery@... <cncf-sig-app-delivery@...> on behalf of Scott Rigby via lists.cncf.io <scott=weave.works@...>
Date: Friday, 19. March 2021 at 17:53
To: cncf-sig-app-delivery@... <cncf-sig-app-delivery@...>

[...]

Nomination / Co-chair for the GitOps Working Group

Shoubhik Bose <shbose@...>

Self-nomination: Shoubhik Bose

Hello!
I am an upstream engineer,  CI/CD & GitOps Engineering architect at Red Hat (Boston) and  member of the steering/bootstrap committee of the Argo Project[1].

I'm a co-creator of the Service Binding Operator project[2] and the Shipwright Build framework[3], aimed at providing a framework for building images on Kubernetes.

As a co-chair of the GitOps Working group, I will help build a psychologically safe environment for  participants to engage in. I will help drive a consensus-based, open and inclusive decision-making process. I will set up a scalable communication infrastructure to ensure every opinion is heard and provided closure on.

The success of the GitOps Working group lies in us finding pragmatic solutions for developers and operators in the cloud-native context. As a co-chair, I will ensure the working group becomes a model for organizations to engage in competitive collaboration.

Thanks,
Shoubhik Bose

GitOps WG Co-chair voting

Cornelia Davis

Hello all.

In the last week we have been accepting nominations for GitOps Working Group co-chairs - status/next steps:
  • We received five nominations (one is held up in mailing list moderation and will be approved shortly).
  • Current project maintainers will vote to select up to three co-chairs.
  • The voting is now open and will close on Friday, 26 March at 11:59PM Pacific Daylight Time.
  • Elected co-chairs will be announced no later than Monday, 29 March and will then be listed in the gitops-working-group git repo.
Note that I have submitted a PR that describes the role of co-chair.

Thank you for all of the nominations - I am personally hugely impressed by each and every one and am thrilled that there is so much enthusiasm for GitOps in our industry.

Cornelia
--
Cornelia Davis
CTO, Weaveworks

Re: [gitops-wg] Sandbox project name change

Scott Rigby

Update: we have reached consensus on OpenGitOps 🎉 🙌

Follow this PR for a description of the relationship between the GitOps Working Group and the Sandbox project, and the rename status.

On Fri, 19 Mar 2021 at 12:50, Scott Rigby via lists.cncf.io <scott=weave.works@...> wrote:
[...]

Addendum - GitOps Working Group Co-chair self nomination (Leonardo Murillo)

Leonardo Murillo <leonardo@...>

Hi Community,

I'd like to provide an addendum to my nomination to further elaborate on the relevance of GitOps specifically in terms of my reach and career:

- I've lead the implementation of Kubernetes Native GitOps Solution for 5G Telco Operators, as presented to the ArgoCD Community (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixZfewgPZw4)
- I'm a vocal promoter of GitOps in Latin America, extending the reach of the operating model to under-represented participants in the ecosystem (KCD El Salvador: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQiR0n4hoy4 - CNCF Community Costa Rica: https://youtu.be/ptIrS-88c9Q)
- I actively share knowledge in social media and blog related to GitOps in practical use cases (https://www.murillodigital.com/tech_talk/flux2_crossplane/)
- I continue to actively promote the GitOps capabilities in cloud native related events (https://www.conf42.com/Cloud_Native_2021_Leonardo_Murillo_gitops_multicloud_crossplane_flux2)

GitOps represents the evolution of continuous delivery and will become a natural next step in the operating model for cloud native organizations, and is one of the primary areas of focus of my consulting practice.

Thanks!
Leo

[operator-wg] Operator White Paper Community Review

Thomas Schuetz

Hello Everyone!

As announced in the last SIG Meeting, we finished the first draft of the operator white paper and were entering the community review phase which will end on April 1st. Therefore, we opened a PR for the review, so if you like to make suggestions or add comments, please do it there. If you'd like to make larger additions, enhancements, feel free to open another PR (target branch review-draft-1) and add yourself as a contributor to the document.

The PR: https://github.com/cncf/sig-app-delivery/pull/97
The current draft: https://github.com/cncf/sig-app-delivery/tree/review-draft-1/operator-wg/whitepaper-community-review
Slack channel: #sig-app-delivery-operator-wg

Best,
Thomas

[...]

Nomination for co-chair for the GitOps Working Group

Lee, Edward <Edward_Lee@...>

I would like to nominate Dan Garfield for the co-chair position for the GitOps Working Group.

Dan Garfield is the Chief Open Source Officer at Codefresh. His role is unique because it is focused on enabling open source, community, and related ecosystems. Codefresh is already heavily involved with the GitOps working group as well as the Argo Project.

Dan's background as an engineer, marketer, and technology leader as well as his energy and dedication make him an ideal choice to represent the community at this formative time for the GitOps working group.

Ed Lee
Argo Project maintainer

Nomination for GitOps WG co-chair

Cornelia Davis

Hello all.

I would like to nominate our industry and my Weaveworks colleague, Scott Rigby, to be a co-chair of the GitOps Working Group. I've asked Scott to share a bit more of his background with all of you - see below.

From me personally, I must share how delighted I am that Scott is willing to step up and serve in this capacity. I've had the opportunity to work quite closely with Scott and have seen his dedication to the technology user, whether it is in the helm community, helping users migrate from flux v1 to v2, or even in what this propeller-head sees as less technical (but probably is more tech than I give it credit for ;-). I place emphasis on the term "user" because I believe it exemplifies the spirit of community that permeates OSS. You can see in Scott's self-intro that this is nothing new for him - he is OSS to the core.

Thank you all for your consideration.
Cornelia

-------------------
From Scott:

I'm a Brooklyn based interdisciplinary artist and open source software engineer, co-developing experimental cultural projects and emerging technologies. I co-founded the Basekamp art and research group in 1998 and the massively collaborative Plausible Artworlds international network. In technology I enjoy helping develop open source software that anyone can use, these days focusing most of that attention on projects in the cloud native landscape, including Flux and Helm – as a community maintainer and project org maintainer respectively. In daily decisions large or small, I try to help make the world a better place for everyone.

My path to GitOps is a fun but familiar one. In the mid 2000s I found my collaborative conflict resolution experience and systems thinking from cultural projects also applied to open source software, leading me directly into DevOps as a way to bridge otherwise siloed development and operations teams. My focus began shifting from primarily applications to software that powers systems, such as Kubernetes. As a human operator in subsequent years, and as the rough edges in CI and other scripted automation for delivery became harder to ignore, I wondered why the application lifecycle process couldn't be as declarative as the underlying infra now was. GitOps became a natural next area of focus, prompting my move to the Weaveworks DX team, and contributing whatever thinking, communication or legwork needed for projects like the GitOps Working Group. With the interest and enthusiasm from such a broad range of parties, I'm excited to see where GitOps, as a wider interconnected movement, is able to go.

--
Cornelia Davis
CTO, Weaveworks

GitOps Working Group co-chair nomination

I would like to nominate Christian Hernandez as a GitOps WG co-chair. Christian has demonstrated a wide knowledge of GitOps and helps others embrace GitOps practices and tooling.

I asked Christian for his bio for everyone:

"Christian Hernandez has been in IT for over 16 years with experience in system administration, tech support, development, enterprise architecture, and management. He was the second OpenShift Field Engineer in North America hired, and has been involved with Kubernetes since its inception, and experienced the rewrite of OpenShift that took place. He's been focused on GitOps for the past two years and is passionate about bringing it to the forefront. In his free time, he loves to play guitar and is a bit of a wine snob."

Thank you,

Chris Short
He/Him/His
TZ=America/Detroit

GitOps Working Group Co-chair self nomination

Leonardo Murillo <leonardo@...>

Hello Community,

I'd like to hereby self-nominate for Co-chair for the GitOps Working Group.

My name is Leonardo Murillo, I'm Founder of Cloud Native Architects and CTO at Qwinix Technologies. Have over 20 years of experience in the IT industry, 10 of which have been mostly focused on cloud. I'm a DevOps Institute Ambassador and CNCF Speaker. I have ample experience managing teams and delivering technology products, all experience that I believe very well translates to the responsibilities of the co-chair role, additionally my current professional roles gives me a lot of freedom in terms of time management and autonomy in terms of participation.

Thanks in advance for the consideration and please don't hesitate to request any further information.
Leo

Calling for nominations for GitOps Working Group (WG) Co-chairs

Cornelia Davis

Hello community.

As I believe you are aware, the GitOps Working Group was formed late last year with the goal "to provide companies and individuals with the skills, knowledge and competency to implement GitOps tooling and methodologies which simplify the operation and management of infrastructure and cloud native applications" and care for the GitOps Working group sandbox project. While we've already gone to work on a number of initiatives, the time has come for us to elect co-chairs for the working group.

While co-chairs are responsible for ensuring that meetings and other activities are conducted and progress continues to be made against the WG agenda, this role is not purely administrative. Co-chairs will have GitOps domain knowledge and will engage deeply in the work being done. That said, chairs are not expected to do all of the work of the WG - this is encouraged of all members and expected from those who have volunteered onto various workstreams. The time commitment for a co-chair will vary from week to week, but will likely average out to be roughly a half day's work per week.

With this email I open the call for nominations for the co-chair positions for the GitOps Working Group. Details:
  • We are aiming to elect 2-3 co chairs.
  • Nominations are now open and will close on Friday, 19 March at 11:59PM Pacfic Daylight Time.
  • Nominations should be made by sending an email to this mailing list and should include a brief bio and personal statement describing the candidates qualifications to serve in this capacity.
  • Self-nominations are welcome.
  • Voting will begin at the close of the nomination period and will continue until Friday, 26 March at 11:59PM Pacfic Daylight Time. Details of how the vote will be conducted will be sent to this mailing list before Friday, 19 March.
  • Elected co-chairs will be announced no later than Monday, 29 March.
I will cross post this note to the #wg-gitops slack channel as well.

Thank you all.

Cornelia
--
Cornelia Davis
CTO, Weaveworks

Re: Operator Working Group chair(s)

Reitbauer, Alois

Ok, we should move forward with the chairs for the Operator WG.  It seems that we have three people nominated which will already provide excellent contributions. I am all for make the change in chairs and have the team of

  • Jennifer Strejevich
  • Omer Kahani
  • Thomas Schütz

Act as co-chairs for the group.

If anybody disagrees please state your concerns. Please also show your support for the three of them.

// Alois

From: Schuetz, Thomas <thomas.schuetz@...>
Date: Tuesday, 22. December 2020 at 11:32
To: Reitbauer, Alois <alois.reitbauer@...>
Cc: cncf-sig-app-delivery@... <cncf-sig-app-delivery@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-sig-app-delivery] Operator Working Group chair(s)

Hello!

Thank you for the recommendations, really appreciate it. As she made a lot of contributions in the last few weeks and drives the progress in the working group, I recommend Jennifer Strejevich to become the third chair of the working group.

Thank you,

Thomas Schuetz

On 22.12.2020, at 11:14, Reitbauer, Alois via lists.cncf.io <alois.reitbauer=dynatrace.com@...> wrote:

Having seen both of them drive this forward I think this is good idea and values their commitment. I would still ask whether there are other who are interested in chairing the working group. Just want to give everybody a chance to speak up.

// Alois

From: <cncf-sig-app-delivery@...> on behalf of "Marc Campbell via lists.cncf.io" <marc=replicated.com@...>
Reply to: "marc@..." <marc@...>
Date: Tuesday, 1. December 2020 at 07:09
To: "cncf-sig-app-delivery@..." <cncf-sig-app-delivery@...>

Hi everyone,

When the App Delivery Operator working group was formed, Gerred Dillon and I volunteered as co-chairs to lead the discussion and drive toward a draft of an operator definition. The meeting cadence and activity slowed down considerable over the summer. Recently, Thomas Schuetz and Omer Kahani have stepped up and taken over the management of this WG and have been leading the efforts to get a draft of the operator definition together.

I'm recommending that Thomas and Omer become the new chairs of the Operator working group, replacing Gerred Dillon and myself. The recent progress in advancing the definition has been led by Omer and Thomas and they've graciously offered to assume the role and continue leading this working group.

Thank you,
Marc Campbell
marc@...

The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4020 Linz, Austria, Am Fünfundzwanziger Turm 20

The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4020 Linz, Austria, Am Fünfundzwanziger Turm 20

61 - 80 of 307