Note: lists.cncf.io will be down for maintenance on Monday, September 26th, starting at 9AM Pacific Time (4PM Monday September 26, 2022 UTC), for approximately one hour.
[ANNOUNCE] [RELEASE] Strimzi Kafka Operators 0.22.0 released
Strimzi Operators 0.22.0 has been released with a lot of changes and improvements.
This release introduces new API version `v1beta2` to all Strimzi custom resources. This is a preparation for migration to `apiextensions/v1` which is needed because Kubernetes 1.22 will remove support for `apiextensions/v1beta1`. Migration to `v1beta2` needs to be completed for all Strimzi CRDs and CRs after the upgrade to 0.22 is done and before upgrading to Strimzi 0.23 which will support only Strimzi `v1beta2` APIs and `apiextensions/v1` CRDs. For more details about the CRD upgrades, see the documentation: https://strimzi.io/docs/operators/0.22.0/deploying.html#assembly-upgrade-resources-str
The main changes since the 0.21 release include:
* Add `v1beta2` version for all resources. `v1beta2` removes all deprecated fields.
* Add annotations that enable the operator to restart Kafka Connect connectors or tasks. The annotations can be applied to the KafkaConnector and the KafkaMirrorMaker2 custom resources.
* Add additional configuration options for the Kaniko executor used by the Kafka Connect Build on Kubernetes
* Add support for JMX options configuration of all Kafka Connect (KC, KC2SI, MM2)
* Update Strimzi Kafka OAuth to version 0.7 and add support for new features:
* OAuth authentication over SASL PLAIN mechanism
* Checking token audience
* Validating tokens using JSONPath filter queries to perform custom checks
* Fix Cruise Control crash loop when updating container configurations
* Configure external logging `ConfigMap` name and key.
* Add support for configuring labels and annotations in ClusterRoleBindings created as part of Kafka and Kafka Connect clusters
* Add support for Ingress v1 in Kubernetes 1.19 and newer
* Add support for Kafka 2.6.1
* List topics used by a Kafka Connect connector in the `.status` section of the `KafkaConnector` custom resource
* Bump Cruise Control to v2.5.37 for Kafka 2.7 support. Note this new version of Cruise Control uses `Log4j 2` and is supported by dynamic logging configuration (where logging properties are defined in a ConfigMap). However, existing `Log4j` configurations must be updated to `Log4j 2` configurations.
* Support pausing reconciliation of CR with annotation `strimzi.io/pause-reconciliation`
There are also several deprecations and removals and one known issue. For more details and installation files, go to https://github.com/strimzi/strimzi-kafka-operator/releases/tag/0.22.0
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release!