Note: lists.cncf.io will be down for maintenance on Wednesday, October 5th, starting at 9AM Pacific Time (4PM Wednesday October 5, 2022 UTC), for approximately one hour.
RC1 of Strimzi Operators 0.21.0
Release Candidate 1 of Strimzi Operators 0.21.0 is now available for testing with a lot of changes and improvements. The main changes since the 0.20.0 release include:
* Add support for declarative management of connector plugins in Kafka Connect CR
* Add `inter.broker.protocol.version` to the default configuration in example YAMLs
* Add support for `secretPrefix` property for User Operator to prefix all secret names created from KafkaUser resource.
* Allow configuring labels and annotations for Cluster CA certificate secrets
* Add the JAAS configuration string in the sasl.jaas.config property to the generated secrets for KafkaUser with SCRAM-SHA-512 authentication.
* Strimzi `test-container` has been renamed to `strimzi-test-container` to make the name more clear
* Updated the CPU usage metric in the Kafka, ZooKeeper and Cruise Control dashboards to include the CPU kernel time (other than the current user time)
* Allow disabling ownerReference on CA secrets
* Make it possible to run Strimzi operators and operands with read-only root filesystem
* Move from Docker Hub to Quay.io as our container registry
* Add possibility to configure DeploymentStrategy for Kafka Connect, Kafka Mirror Maker (1 and 2), and Kafka Bridge
* Support passing metrics configuration as an external ConfigMap
* Enable CORS configuration for Cruise Control
* Add support for rolling individual Kafka or ZooKeeper pods through the Cluster Operator using an annotation
* Add support for Topology Spread Constraints in Pod templates
* Make Kafka `cluster-id` (KIP-78) available on Kafka CRD status
There are also some deprecations and removals which you should be aware of:
* The `metrics` field in the Strimzi custom resources has been deprecated and will be removed in the future. For configuring metrics, use the new `metricsConfig` field and pass the configuration via ConfigMap.
This version of Strimzi supports Kubernetes 1.16 and higher.
For more details and installation files, go to https://github.com/strimzi/strimzi-kafka-operator/releases/tag/0.21.0-rc1
Any feedback can be provided on the Strimzi mailing list, on the #strimzi Slack channel on CNCF Slack or as a GitHub issue.
Thanks & Regards
Jakub & Strimzi team