From: cncf-strimzi-users@... <cncf-strimzi-users@...> on behalf of msjyosh@... <msjyosh@...>
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 8:24 PM
To: cncf-strimzi-users@... <cncf-strimzi-users@...>
Subject: [cncf-strimzi-users] Kafka Bridging Startup Error

Hi, When i am trying to start KafkaBridge script I am getting below error

 bin/kafka_bridge_run.sh --config-file config/application.properties
Error: Could not find or load main class io.strimzi.kafka.bridge.Application

please advise on what could be the issue ? If i am missing anything !?

Kafka Bridging Startup Error

msjyosh@...

Hi, When i am trying to start KafkaBridge script I am getting below error

 bin/kafka_bridge_run.sh --config-file config/application.properties
Error: Could not find or load main class io.strimzi.kafka.bridge.Application

please advise on what could be the issue ? If i am missing anything !?

Strimzi Kafka OAuth library 0.6.0 released

Jakub Scholz

Hi,

Version 0.6.0 of the Strimzi Kafka OAuth library has been released! The main changes since last release are:
* Optimized internals
* Improved server-side logging
* Improved handling of expired or otherwise invalidated access tokens
    ** Fixed, and documented the re-authentication support
    ** Added OAuthSessionAuthorizer
    ** Deprecated the JwtKafkaPrincipalBuilder in favor of the new OAuthKafkaPrincipalBuilder
    ** KeycloakRBACAuthorizer improvements
    ** Introduced fast JWKS keys refresh
    ** Fixed exception types thrown during token validation

For more details go to the GitHub release page: https://github.com/strimzi/strimzi-kafka-oauth/releases/tag/0.6.0

Thanks a lot to everyone who contributed to this release by raising issues, opening PRs etc. And especially to Marko who did most of the work!

Thanks & Regards
Jakub

RC1 of Strimzi Kafka OAuth library 0.6.0

Jakub Scholz

Hi,

Release Candidate 1 of the 0.6.0 version of the Strimzi Kafka OAuth library is now available for testing: https://github.com/strimzi/strimzi-kafka-oauth/releases/tag/0.6.0-rc1

The main changes are:
* Optimized internals
* Improved server-side logging
* Improved handling of expired or otherwise invalidated access tokens
    ** Fixed, and documented the re-authentication support
    ** Added OAuthSessionAuthorizer
    ** Deprecated the JwtKafkaPrincipalBuilder in favor of the new OAuthKafkaPrincipalBuilder
    ** KeycloakRBACAuthorizer improvements
    ** Introduced fast JWKS keys refresh
    ** Fixed exception types thrown during token validation

To test it, you can use the staging Maven repository:

  <repositories>
    <repository>
      <id>staging</id>
      <url>https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/iostrimzi-1073</url>
    </repository>
  </repositories>

Any feedback can be provided here, on Slack or as a GitHub issue.

Thanks & Regards
Jakub

The first Strimzi survey is here!

Paolo Patierno

Do you want to spend 5 minutes to help us improve Strimzi?

The first Strimzi survey is here! We would like to hear more from you, where and how you are using it.

Thanks,
Paolo

Paolo Patierno
Principal Software Engineer @ Red Hat
Microsoft MVP on Azure

Twitter : @ppatierno
Linkedin : paolopatierno
Blog : DevExperience

Are you using Strimzi in production? Let us know about it!

Jakub Scholz

Are you using Strimzi in production? Let us know about it! Having an overview of Strimzi adopters is not important just for us in the Strimzi team. It also helps new users who decide whether to use Strimzi. And it is also part of the CNCF annual review and graduation process which is really important for the whole Strimzi community. Having the list of adopters up to date would help us with our annual review which will happen later this summer.

We have two places for keeping track of production users:
* The ADOPTERS.md file
* The company logos in the _used by_ section on Strimzi website

You can just open a PR to add your company to the ADOPTERS.md file or to the website. Or you can also get in touch with any of the Strimzi maintainers and we will help you with it.

Thanks for your help.
Jakub & Strimzi maintainers team

[ANNOUNCE] [RELEASE] Strimzi Kafka Operators 0.19.0 released

Jakub Scholz

Hi,

Strimzi Kafka Operators 0.19.0 has been released with a lot of changes and improvements. The main changes since the 0.18.0 release include:
* Add support for authorization using Open Policy Agent
* Add support for scale subresource to make scaling of following resources easier:
    * KafkaConnect
    * KafkaConnectS2I
    * KafkaBridge
    * KafkaMirrorMaker
    * KafkaMirrorMaker2
    * KafkaConnector
* Remove deprecated `Kafka.spec.topicOperator` classes and deployment logic
* Use Java 11 as the Java runtime
* Removed the need to manually create Cruise Control metrics topics if topic auto creation is disabled.
* Migration to Helm 3
* Refactored the format of the `KafkaRebalance` resource's status. The state of the rebalance is now displayed in the associated `Condition`'s `type` field rather than the `status` field. This was done so that the information would display correctly in various Kubernetes tools.
* Added performance tuning options to the `KafkaRebalance` CR and the ability to define a regular expression that will exclude matching topics from a rebalance optimization proposal.
* Use Strimzi Kafka Bridge 0.18.0
* Make it possible to configure labels and annotations for secrets created by the User Operator
* Strimzi Kafka Bridge metrics integration:
    * Enable/disable metrics in the KafkaBridge custom resource
    * New Grafana dashboard for the bridge metrics
* Support dynamically changeable logging in the Entity Operator and Kafka Bridge

There are also some deprecations and removals which you should be aware of:
* Deprecation of Helm v2 chart
* Removal deprecated cadvisor metric labels
* Deprecation of monitoring port on Kafka and ZooKeeper related services

In the next version, we will also remove the support for the v1alpha1 resources deprecated in Strimzi 0.12.0.

For more details and installation files, go to https://github.com/strimzi/strimzi-kafka-operator/releases/tag/0.19.0. Documentation and Quick Starts can be found on our website https://strimzi.io/.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release!

Thanks & Regards
Jakub

RC1 of Strimzi Operators 0.19.0

Jakub Scholz

Hi,

Release Candidate 1 of Strimzi Operators 0.19.0 is now available for testing with a lot of changes and improvements. The main changes since the 0.18.0 release include:
[...]

Any feedback can be provided here, on the #strimzi Slack channel on CNCF Slack or as a GitHub issue.

Thanks & Regards
Jakub

Re: Is it possible to manager external cluster topics and users using Strimzi operator

Jakub Scholz

I already answered this on Slack ... but just for the archives. The Topic and User Operator can be used with any Kafka cluster. More details can be found in the docs:

Jakub

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 9:07 PM <uday.jalagam@...> wrote:
Hello ,

Is it possible to manage existing kafka cluster outside kubernetes using Strimzi topic and user operator  ?  Just want to create topic based on CRD and same way for user if possible . Are those only depend on the service or any other dependencies to manage cluster ?

Thanks,
Uday.

Is it possible to manager external cluster topics and users using Strimzi operator

uday.jalagam@...

Hello ,

Is it possible to manage existing kafka cluster outside kubernetes using Strimzi topic and user operator  ?  Just want to create topic based on CRD and same way for user if possible . Are those only depend on the service or any other dependencies to manage cluster ?

Thanks,
Uday.

ANNOUNCE] Strimzi Kafka Bridge 0.18.0 released!

Paolo Patierno

Version 0.18.0 of Strimzi Kafka Bridge has been released.

The main changes include:

* Use Java 11 as the Java runtime
* Renamed exposed HTTP server and Kafka consumer and producer metrics, using `strimzi_bridge` as prefix
* Added topic-partition retrieval operation to the Admin Client endpoint

Thanks to everyone who contributed to these releases.

Thanks,
Paolo

Paolo Patierno
Principal Software Engineer @ Red Hat
Microsoft MVP on Azure

Twitter : @ppatierno
Linkedin : paolopatierno
Blog : DevExperience

RC1 of Strimzi Kafka Bridge 0.18.0

Paolo Patierno

Hi all,

Release Candidate 1 of Strimzi Kafka Bridge 0.18.0 is now available for testing.
The main changes since 0.17.0 include:

* Use Java 11 as the Java runtime
* Renamed exposed HTTP server and Kafka consumer and producer metrics, using `strimzi_bridge` as prefix
* Added topic-partition retrieval operation to the Admin Client endpoint

Any feedback can be provided here or as a GitHub issue.

Thanks

Paolo Patierno
Principal Software Engineer @ Red Hat
Microsoft MVP on Azure

Twitter : @ppatierno
Linkedin : paolopatierno
Blog : DevExperience

Strimzi Survey

Tom Bentley

Hi,

At the last community meeting we talked about how we'd like to do a survey of Strimzi users so we can better understand how people are using Strimzi with a view to better serving the needs of our community. CNCF advice is to try to keep to 10 questions or fewer and we've been developing the set of the questions to ask. The attached google doc is the current draft:

If you have any feedback feel free to add comments to the document, or reply to this thread. I'm planning to wrap this up within the next week, so don't delay!

Kind regards,

Tom

Strimzi Community Meeting 2020/07/02

Paolo Patierno

Hi all,
tomorrow we are going to have the Strimzi community meeting at 8:00 AM UTC, please add something you think we should discuss to the agenda https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V1lMeMwn6d2x1LKxyydhjo2c_IFANveelLD880A6bYc/edit

Thanks,
Paolo.

Paolo Patierno
Principal Software Engineer @ Red Hat
Microsoft MVP on Azure

Twitter : @ppatierno
Linkedin : paolopatierno
Blog : DevExperience

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Strimzi Kafka Bridge 0.17.0 released!

Jakub Scholz

Thanks for driving the release Paolo!

Jakub

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 3:36 PM Paolo Patierno <ppatierno@...> wrote:
Version 0.17.0 of Strimzi Kafka Bridge has been released.

The main changes include:

* Added an Admin Client endpoint and related API for getting topics list and topic details
* Made available bridge information (i.e. version) on the root `/` endpoint
* Exposed HTTP server, JVM and Kafka consumer and producer related metrics in the Prometheus format
* Added `tini` usage for running the bridge in containerized environment
* Use `log4j2` instead of `log4j`

For more details, go to: https://github.com/strimzi/strimzi-kafka-bridge/releases/tag/0.17.0

Thanks to everyone who contributed to these releases.

Thanks,
Paolo

Paolo Patierno
Principal Software Engineer @ Red Hat
Microsoft MVP on Azure

Twitter : @ppatierno
Linkedin : paolopatierno
Blog : DevExperience

RC1 of Strimzi Kafka Bridge 0.17.0

Paolo Patierno

Hi all,

Release Candidate 1 of Strimzi Kafka Bridge 0.17.0 is now available for testing.
The main changes since 0.16.0 include:

* Added an Admin Client endpoint and related API for getting topics list and topic details
* Made available bridge information (i.e. version) on the root `/` endpoint
* Exposed HTTP server, JVM and Kafka consumer and producer related metrics in the Prometheus format
* Added `tini` usage for running the bridge in containerized environment
* Use `log4j2` instead of `log4j`

Any feedback can be provided here or as a GitHub issue.

Thanks

Paolo Patierno
Principal Software Engineer @ Red Hat
Microsoft MVP on Azure

Twitter : @ppatierno
Linkedin : paolopatierno
Blog : DevExperience

[ANNOUNCE] [RELEASE] Strimzi Kafka Operators 0.18.0 released

Jakub Scholz

Strimzi Kafka Operators version 0.18.0 has been released. The main new features since 0.17.0 include:
* Add possibility to set Java System Properties via custom resources
* Make it possible to configure PodManagementPolicy for StatefulSets
* Add more metrics to Cluster, User and Topic Operators
* New Grafana dashboard for Operator monitoring
* Allow `ssl.cipher.suites`, `ssl.protocol` and `ssl.enabled.protocols` to be configurable for Kafka and the different components supported by Strimzi
* Add support for user configurable SecurityContext for each Strimzi container
* Add support for Kafka 2.4.1 and 2.5.0
* Remove TLS sidecars from ZooKeeper pods, using native ZooKeeper TLS support instead
* Use Strimzi Kafka Bridge 0.16.0 with support for CORS in the HTTP protocol
* Pass HTTP Proxy configuration from operator to operands
* Add Cruise Control support

More details about the release and the download files are available on the Git Hub release page: https://github.com/strimzi/strimzi-kafka-operator/releases/tag/0.18.0. Documentation and Quick Starts can be found on our website https://strimzi.io/.

Thanks a lot to everyone who contributed to this release by raising issues, opening PRs etc.

On behalf of the Strimzi maintainers
Jakub

RC2 of Strimzi Operators 0.18.0

Jakub Scholz

Hi,

Release Candidate 2 of Strimzi Operators 0.18.0 is now available for testing. Compared to RC1, it includes some bug fixes:
* Improve the `KafkaRebalance` resources
* Add the `KafkaRebalance` resource to the `strimzi` category
* Add `KafkaRebalance` resources to Operators Grafana dashboard
* Make sure TLS protocol can be configured in Kafka brokers
* Fix Prometheus installation guide

Any feedback can be provided here, on the #strimzi Slack channel on CNCF Slack or as a GitHub issue.

Thanks & Regards
Jakub

RC1 of Strimzi Operators 0.18.0

Jakub Scholz

Hi,

Release Candidate 1 of Strimzi Operators 0.18.0 is now available for testing. The main changes since the 0.17.0 release include:
* Update build system to use `yq` version 3 (https://github.com/mikefarah/yq)
* Add more metrics to Cluster, User and Topic Operators
* New Grafana dashboard for Operator monitoring
* Allow `ssl.cipher.suites`, `ssl.protocol` and `ssl.enabled.protocols` to be configurable for Kafka and the different components supported by Strimzi
* Add support for user configurable SecurityContext for each Strimzi container
* Add support for Kafka 2.4.1 and 2.5.0
* Remove TLS sidecars from ZooKeeper pods, using native ZooKeeper TLS support instead
* Use Strimzi Kafka Bridge 0.16.0 with support for CORS in the HTTP protocol
* Pass HTTP Proxy configuration from operator to operands

Any feedback can be provided here, on the #strimzi Slack channel on CNCF Slack or as a GitHub issue.

Thanks & Regards
Jakub

161 - 180 of 236