Note: lists.cncf.io will be down for maintenance on Monday, September 26th, starting at 9AM Pacific Time (4PM Monday September 26, 2022 UTC), for approximately one hour.
RC1 of Strimzi Operators 0.22.0
Release Candidate 1 of Strimzi Operators 0.22.0 is now available for testing with a lot of changes and improvements.
This release introduces new API version `v1beta2` to all Strimzi custom resources. This is a preparation for migration to `apiextensions/v1` which is needed because Kubernetes 1.22 will remove support for `apiextensions/v1beta1`. Migration to `v1beta2` needs to be completed for all Strimzi CRDs and CRs after the upgrade to 0.22 is done and before upgrading to Strimzi 0.23 which will support only Strimzi `v1beta2` APIs and `apiextensions/v1` CRDs. For more details about the CRD upgrades, see the documentation: https://strimzi.io/docs/operators/master/deploying.html#assembly-upgrade-resources-str
The main changes since the 0.21 release include:
* Add `v1beta2` version for all resources. `v1beta2` removes all deprecated fields.
* Add annotations that enable the operator to restart Kafka Connect connectors or tasks. The annotations can be applied to the KafkaConnector and the KafkaMirrorMaker2 custom resources.
* Add additional configuration options for the Kaniko executor used by the Kafka Connect Build on Kubernetes
* Add support for JMX options configuration of all Kafka Connect (KC, KC2SI, MM2)
* Update Strimzi Kafka OAuth to version 0.7 and add support for new features:
* OAuth authentication over SASL PLAIN mechanism
* Checking token audience
* Validating tokens using JSONPath filter queries to perform custom checks
* Fix Cruise Control crash loop when updating container configurations
* Configure external logging `ConfigMap` name and key.
* Add support for configuring labels and annotations in ClusterRoleBindings created as part of Kafka and Kafka Connect clusters
* Add support for Ingress v1 in Kubernetes 1.19 and newer
* Add support for Kafka 2.6.1
* List topics used by a Kafka Connect connector in the `.status` section of the `KafkaConnector` custom resource
* Bump Cruise Control to v2.5.37 for Kafka 2.7 support. Note this new version of Cruise Control uses `Log4j 2` and is supported by dynamic logging configuration (where logging properties are defined in a ConfigMap). However, existing `Log4j` configurations must be updated to `Log4j 2` configurations.
* Support pausing reconciliation of CR with annotation `strimzi.io/pause-reconciliation`
There are also several deprecations and removals. For more details and installation files, go to https://github.com/strimzi/strimzi-kafka-operator/releases/tag/0.22.0-rc1
Any feedback can be provided on the Strimzi mailing list, on the #strimzi Slack channel on CNCF Slack or as a GitHub issue.
Thanks & Regards
Jakub & Strimzi team