Date

[ANNOUNCE] [RELEASE] Strimzi Kafka Operators 0.19.0 released

Jakub Scholz

Hi,

Strimzi Kafka Operators 0.19.0 has been released with a lot of changes and improvements. The main changes since the 0.18.0 release include:
* Add support for authorization using Open Policy Agent
* Add support for scale subresource to make scaling of following resources easier:
    * KafkaConnect
    * KafkaConnectS2I
    * KafkaBridge
    * KafkaMirrorMaker
    * KafkaMirrorMaker2
    * KafkaConnector
* Remove deprecated `Kafka.spec.topicOperator` classes and deployment logic
* Use Java 11 as the Java runtime
* Removed the need to manually create Cruise Control metrics topics if topic auto creation is disabled.
* Migration to Helm 3
* Refactored the format of the `KafkaRebalance` resource's status. The state of the rebalance is now displayed in the associated `Condition`'s `type` field rather than the `status` field. This was done so that the information would display correctly in various Kubernetes tools.
* Added performance tuning options to the `KafkaRebalance` CR and the ability to define a regular expression that will exclude matching topics from a rebalance optimization proposal.
* Use Strimzi Kafka Bridge 0.18.0
* Make it possible to configure labels and annotations for secrets created by the User Operator
* Strimzi Kafka Bridge metrics integration:
    * Enable/disable metrics in the KafkaBridge custom resource
    * New Grafana dashboard for the bridge metrics
* Support dynamically changeable logging in the Entity Operator and Kafka Bridge

There are also some deprecations and removals which you should be aware of:
* Deprecation of Helm v2 chart
* Removal deprecated cadvisor metric labels
* Deprecation of monitoring port on Kafka and ZooKeeper related services

In the next version, we will also remove the support for the v1alpha1 resources deprecated in Strimzi 0.12.0.

For more details and installation files, go to https://github.com/strimzi/strimzi-kafka-operator/releases/tag/0.19.0. Documentation and Quick Starts can be found on our website https://strimzi.io/.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release!

Thanks & Regards
Jakub

RC1 of Strimzi Operators 0.19.0

Jakub Scholz

Hi,

Release Candidate 1 of Strimzi Operators 0.19.0 is now available for testing with a lot of changes and improvements. The main changes since the 0.18.0 release include:
[...]

Any feedback can be provided here, on the #strimzi Slack channel on CNCF Slack or as a GitHub issue.

Thanks & Regards
Jakub

Strimzi Survey

Tom Bentley

Hi,

At the last community meeting we talked about how we'd like to do a survey of Strimzi users so we can better understand how people are using Strimzi with a view to better serving the needs of our community. CNCF advice is to try to keep to 10 questions or fewer and we've been developing the set of the questions to ask. The attached google doc is the current draft:

If you have any feedback feel free to add comments to the document, or reply to this thread. I'm planning to wrap this up within the next week, so don't delay!

Kind regards,

Tom

[ANNOUNCE] [RELEASE] Strimzi Kafka Operators 0.18.0 released

Jakub Scholz

Strimzi Kafka Operators version 0.18.0 has been released. The main new features since 0.17.0 include:
* Add possibility to set Java System Properties via custom resources
* Make it possible to configure PodManagementPolicy for StatefulSets
* Add more metrics to Cluster, User and Topic Operators
* New Grafana dashboard for Operator monitoring
* Allow `ssl.cipher.suites`, `ssl.protocol` and `ssl.enabled.protocols` to be configurable for Kafka and the different components supported by Strimzi
* Add support for user configurable SecurityContext for each Strimzi container
* Add support for Kafka 2.4.1 and 2.5.0
* Remove TLS sidecars from ZooKeeper pods, using native ZooKeeper TLS support instead
* Use Strimzi Kafka Bridge 0.16.0 with support for CORS in the HTTP protocol
* Pass HTTP Proxy configuration from operator to operands
* Add Cruise Control support

More details about the release and the download files are available on the Git Hub release page: https://github.com/strimzi/strimzi-kafka-operator/releases/tag/0.18.0. Documentation and Quick Starts can be found on our website https://strimzi.io/.

Thanks a lot to everyone who contributed to this release by raising issues, opening PRs etc.

On behalf of the Strimzi maintainers
Jakub

RC2 of Strimzi Operators 0.18.0

Jakub Scholz

Hi,

Release Candidate 2 of Strimzi Operators 0.18.0 is now available for testing. Compared to RC1, it includes some bug fixes:
* Improve the `KafkaRebalance` resources
* Add the `KafkaRebalance` resource to the `strimzi` category
* Add `KafkaRebalance` resources to Operators Grafana dashboard
* Make sure TLS protocol can be configured in Kafka brokers
* Fix Prometheus installation guide

Any feedback can be provided here, on the #strimzi Slack channel on CNCF Slack or as a GitHub issue.

Thanks & Regards
Jakub

RC1 of Strimzi Operators 0.18.0

Jakub Scholz

Hi,

Release Candidate 1 of Strimzi Operators 0.18.0 is now available for testing. The main changes since the 0.17.0 release include:
* Update build system to use `yq` version 3 (https://github.com/mikefarah/yq)
* Add more metrics to Cluster, User and Topic Operators
* New Grafana dashboard for Operator monitoring
* Allow `ssl.cipher.suites`, `ssl.protocol` and `ssl.enabled.protocols` to be configurable for Kafka and the different components supported by Strimzi
* Add support for user configurable SecurityContext for each Strimzi container
* Add support for Kafka 2.4.1 and 2.5.0
* Remove TLS sidecars from ZooKeeper pods, using native ZooKeeper TLS support instead
* Use Strimzi Kafka Bridge 0.16.0 with support for CORS in the HTTP protocol
* Pass HTTP Proxy configuration from operator to operands

Any feedback can be provided here, on the #strimzi Slack channel on CNCF Slack or as a GitHub issue.

Thanks & Regards
Jakub

[ANNOUNCE] Strimzi Kafka Bridge 0.16.0 released!

Jakub Scholz

Version 0.16.0 of Strimzi Kafka Bridge has been released. The main changes include:
* Add support for CORS
* Various bugfixes and dependencies updates

Thanks to everyone who contributed to these releases.

Thanks & Regards
Jakub

RC1 of Strimzi Kafka Bridge 0.16.0

Jakub Scholz

Hi,

Release Candidate 1 of Strimzi Kafka Bridge 0.16.0 is now available for testing. The main changes since 0.15 include:
* Add support for CORS in the HTTP part of the Bridge
* Various bugfixes and dependencies updates

Any feedback can be provided here or as a GitHub issue.

Thanks & Regards
Jakub

[ANNOUNCE] [RELEASE] Strimzi Kafka OAuth library 0.5.0 released

Jakub Scholz

Hi,

Version 0.5.0 of the Strimzi Kafka OAuth library is now available: https://github.com/strimzi/strimzi-kafka-oauth/releases/tag/0.5.0.

The main changes since 0.4.0 are:
* Improved compatibility with authorization servers
* Fixed JWKS keys refresh bug
* Fixed a non-standard token_type enforcement when using the Introspection Endpoint
* Improved examples
* Improved logging to facilitate troubleshooting
* Bumped keycloak-core library version

Thanks a lot to everyone who contributed to this release by raising issues, opening PRs etc.

Thanks & Regards
Jakub

RC2 of Strimzi Kafka OAuth library 0.5.0

Jakub Scholz

Release Candidate 2 of the 0.5.0 version of the Strimzi Kafka OAuth library is now available for testing: https://github.com/strimzi/strimzi-kafka-oauth/releases/tag/0.5.0-rc2

The only change since RC1 is the following bugfix:
* Fix scope support when refreshing the token (#55)

To test it, you can use the staging Maven repository:

  <repositories>
    <repository>
      <id>staging</id>
      <url>https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/iostrimzi-1065/</url>
    </repository>
  </repositories>

Any feedback can be provided here or as a GitHub issue.

Thanks & Regards
Jakub

Re: [ANNOUNCE] New maintainer Jakub Stejskal

Paolo Patierno

Congrats Jakub,
very well deserved!

Paolo Patierno