Date

CNCF Reference Architecture Meeting - Wednesday 4/10

Taylor Waggoner

Hello,

We are reaching out to see if anyone has agenda items for this week's call.  We will be canceling the call if there are no suggestions.

Thank you,

Taylor Waggoner
Sr. Operations Analyst  - Cloud Native Computing Foundation
Location & Time-zone: Portland, OR - PT
web: https://www.cncf.io/
email:  twaggoner@...

CNCF Reference Architecture Meeting - Wednesday 1/13

Taylor Waggoner

Hello,

We are reaching out to see if anyone has agenda items for this week's call.  We will be canceling the call if there are no suggestions.

Thank you,

Taylor Waggoner
Sr. Operations Analyst  - Cloud Native Computing Foundation
Location & Time-zone: Portland, OR - PT
web: https://www.cncf.io/
email:  twaggoner@...

Call today at 11 AM PT Wed, 1/9

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

We have a reference architecture committee call today. No one has suggested any agenda items so I will plan to give a brief update on the major refactoring we've done on the landscape codebase to separate the code into an NPM module at https://github.com/cncf/landscapeapp and leave the data and images in the downstream implementation at https://github.com/cncf/landscape.

This has allowed the LF Deep Learning Foundation to launch its own landscape https://landscape.lfdl.io/format=landscape which uses the identical upstream code.

Please connect to https://zoom.us/my/cncfrefarch to dial in.
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com

Re: Suggested Security-Focused Landscape

Zhipeng Huang

+1 , thanks Geri :)

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018, 8:50 AM Geri Jennings <geri.jennings@...> wrote:

Michael Ducy and I have met a handful of times to get started on a draft of a security-focused landscape, and have prepared a draft document to get feedback from the community. The Google document is available here and is open for comments. It includes a description of our motivation for embarking on this effort, and a proposed set of sub-categories for a security-focused landscape.

The SAFE working group (of which I am a member) has been interested to learn more about this work as well, and we'll be discussing it in our WG meeting this Friday if anyone else is interested in participating. If you would like to join the meeting, you can follow the link to the WG to find out more about how to participate. There is also a GitHub issue where progress on this effort is being tracked as part of that group.

We are excited about this work, and believe it will be a valuable addition to the Landscape. In particular we expect that it may potentially highlight some areas where there is room for additional security-related projects/products to be added to give people a more complete picture of how to have healthy security practices in the cloud.  We look forward to your feedback!

Thanks,
Geri Jennings

Software Engineer, CyberArk

[...]

Revised CNCF Interactive Landscape

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

We've released the biggest ever improvement to the CNCF Interactive Landscape: we now dynamically generate the landscape in real-time in your browser rather than having a graphic artist do so manually once a month.

(Note that this landscape view works better from a desktop browser than a mobile one.)

This also enables some intriguing new views, such as seeing just CNCF-hosted projects, just Apache-hosted ones, or just open source projects:

As before, if you see individual items that should be updated, please open a pull request after reviewing the instructions on https://github.com/cncf/landscape. If you'd like to discuss future enhancements or changes, please join the reference architecture list: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-reference-architecture
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com

Meeting notes from CNCF Reference Architecture Meeting (Sept. 12, 2018)

Lucina Stricko

Good afternoon,

Thank you for joining the CNCF Reference Architecture Meeting to review new features on the interactive landscape and propose suggestions for improvement.

Here are the meeting notes from today's call for your reference, https://goo.gl/MZgN4J.

Please feel free to continue the conversation on the mailing list.

The next CNCF Reference Architecture Meeting will be on Wed, October 10, 2018 at 11am Pacific Time.

Thanks again,
Lucina

Lucina Stricko,
Partner vulk.coop
Product Manager https://cncf.ci

11 AM PT Wed call and major landscape changes

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

I have finally implemented the proposed major refactoring we discussed in our last two calls.

We'll be further discussing at 11 AM tomorrow at https://zoom.us/my/cncfrefarch.

Here is the draft:

The major changes are:
+ Splitting Service Management into RPC, Load Balancer, API Gateway, and Service Mesh
+ New Automation and Configuration subcategory through the combination of Private Cloud, Host Management/Tooling, and Infrastructure Automation
+ Renamed Streaming to Streaming & Messaging
+ Renamed Secure Images to Security & Compliance

These changes are not yet final. I'm eager to here alternative suggested categorization, either in reply to this message or on the call tomorrow. In particular, I'd love to hear proposals for breaking up some of our bigger subcategories, like Automation & Configuration and Streaming & Messaging. Also, if there are individual cards that would better fit in a different subcategory, please let us know.
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com

Re: Clean up project names / descriptions?

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:42 PM, Geri Jennings <geri.jennings@...> wrote:
Hello all,

I downloaded a CSV of the full landscape this afternoon, and the naming and descriptions are pretty inconsistent. Ideally the "name" field would give the product name and the description field would describe that product, but it's often the case that the description has very little information or describes the company instead of the product.

The description for open source projects comes from the GitHub description field. For closed source products, the description is submitted in the landscape.yml.

It's probably unreasonable at this point to expect the companies that submitted the original PRs to come back and edit their listings, but it would be great if the list were cleaner for people coming to see the list for the first time. Should I take a crack at rewriting some of it? Is it appropriate for someone not from the company that submitted it to edit a company's listing?

In either case, I would recommend against making a change without getting buy-in from the product/project owner. I don't think most companies would be happy with you adding a product description without their agreement.

In addition, I downloaded the CSV because there wasn't a way on landscape.cncf.io to see the descriptions in the web UI view. I would like to suggest we consider adding a "list" view as an option besides the "card" view that would show more information to people who are browsing the landscape.

The descriptions show in the modal card view, just above the website. For example, Prometheus <https://landscape.cncf.io/selected=prometheus> says "The Prometheus monitoring system and time series database."

We could add a list view, but I don't think it would add a lot of value compared to the CSV mode, which downloads all data for the view you have currently selected.
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com

Re: Clean up project names / descriptions?

Quinton Hoole

I don’t know how the original data was collected – Dan probably has an opinion on how to proceed.

Off the top of my head, I would suggest compiling proposed updates, content of which should be sourced directly from official project/product documentation.
Then send it to the project/product representatives for approval or editing.  For those that you do not receive a response from, we can decide whether to merge without explicit approval (lazy consensus).

From: <cncf-reference-architecture@...> on behalf of Geri Jennings <geri.jennings@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 13:42
To: "cncf-reference-architecture@..." <cncf-reference-architecture@...>
Subject: [cncf-reference-architecture] Clean up project names / descriptions?

[...]

CyberArk

Re: WIP: Auto-generated Cloud Native Landscape

Quinton Hoole

For display, I was thinking of retaining the primary “layer+sub-category” layout, and simply hiding those projects not labelled with the selected theme, if one is selected.  So it’s a filtering function, not an attempt to lay out the landscape differently.

Technical Vice President

America Research Center

2330 Central Expressway, Santa Clara, CA 95050

Tel: 408-330-4721   Cell: 408-320-8917   Office # E2-9

Email: quinton.hoole@...   ID#Q00403160

From: Geri Jennings <Geri.Jennings@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 12:15
To: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>, Dan Kohn <dan@...>, "cncf-reference-architecture@..." <cncf-reference-architecture@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-reference-architecture] WIP: Auto-generated Cloud Native Landscape

There’s something useful about the existing category structure that may be lost with themes – are you thinking that themes might be an additional way to break out the products / projects in the landscape, or would they replace the categories entirely?

It might be interesting to allow for a few different ways to group projects (categories / sub-categories, themes, etc) and keep metadata on each project that indicates which groupings it belongs to. That would allow for more flexibility in the landscape web UI, and could start to address some issues around projects that don’t naturally fit into just a single sub-category.

Hopefully I haven’t repeated something that has already been said; I’ve read through the reference architecture mailing list backlog, but I am newer to this group.

Geri Jennings

CyberArk

From: <cncf-reference-architecture@...> on behalf of Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 3:01 PM
To: Dan Kohn <dan@...>, "cncf-reference-architecture@..." <cncf-reference-architecture@...>

Thanks Dan

That helps a lot, and seems like the right direction, as discussed in the last working group meeting.

I gave a bit more thought to what we discussed around “themes” - security was the canonical example of a theme.  We discussed that some audiences (e.g. security auditors) might want to zoom in on a theme like that, and want to understand the landscape in that context, without irrelevant distractions.  Here is a brief straw man proposal for how that might work.

  1. Each project may associate one or more of a set of predefined "theme labels” to their projects.  “Security” might be one example of such a theme.  Themes typically span multiple layers and categories in the landscape.
  2. Together with the label association, the project would include a short description of how/why their project relates to that theme, with links to further details.  An example might be a container runtime that is focussed on secure containers, or a cloud-native storage system that is focussed on secure, encrypted storage, etc.
  3. Viewers of the landscape could filter the landscape to only show projects pertaining to one theme (based on their labels).
  4. After filtering, viewers could discover how a given project pertains to the selected theme (e.g. by hovering over the project, which might display the above brief description of the project’s relevance to the theme).

I think we were also asked to come up with some other candidate themes

Here are a few proposed themes to consider:

  1. Security (we’ve spoken about this already, of course).
  2. High performance (some projects prioritize this well above other goals like security or ease-of-use).
  3. Large scale (similar to above)
  4. Ease of use (some UI’s, operators etc are focussed much more on this than e.g. any of the above).
  5. Multi-cloud/hybrid cloud

I’m sure that others might propose more potential themes.

Hope this helps…

Quinton Hoole

From: <cncf-reference-architecture@...> on behalf of Dan Kohn <dan@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 09:33
To: "cncf-reference-architecture@..." <cncf-reference-architecture@...>

This is very much a work-in-progress, but I thought folks on this list might be interested to see that we're making headway auto-generating the Cloud Native Landscape:

This then allows for filtering such as only showing CNCF projects:

This e-mail may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, do not duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error.

From: <cncf-reference-architecture@...> on behalf of Dan Kohn <dan@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 09:33
To: "cncf-reference-architecture@..." <cncf-reference-architecture@...>

This is very much a work-in-progress, but I thought folks on this list might be interested to see that we're making headway auto-generating the Cloud Native Landscape:

This then allows for filtering such as only showing CNCF projects:

WIP: Auto-generated Cloud Native Landscape

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

This is very much a work-in-progress, but I thought folks on this list might be interested to see that we're making headway auto-generating the Cloud Native Landscape:

This then allows for filtering such as only showing CNCF projects:

Re: Meeting notes from CNCF Reference Architecture Meeting (August 8, 2018)

Quinton Hoole

Thanks Lucina – great notes!

Attached are a few related slides from the TOC meeting.  It’s worth perusing the twitter link for some outside perspectives on our landscape.

From: <cncf-reference-architecture@...> on behalf of Lucina Stricko <lucina.stricko@...>
Date: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 12:15
To: "cncf-reference-architecture@..." <cncf-reference-architecture@...>, Dan Kohn <dan@...>
Subject: [cncf-reference-architecture] Meeting notes from CNCF Reference Architecture Meeting (August 8, 2018)

Good afternoon,

Thanks for the feedback on how to improve the static and interactive landscapes.

Here are the meeting notes from today's CNCF Reference Architecture Meeting: https://goo.gl/MZgN4J.

Please feel free to continue the conversation in the mailing list.

The next CNCF Reference Architecture Meeting will be on Wed, September 12, 2018.

Thank you,
Lucina

Lucina Stricko,
Partner vulk.coop
Product Manager https://cncf.ci

Meeting notes from CNCF Reference Architecture Meeting (August 8, 2018)

Lucina Stricko

Good afternoon,

Thanks for the feedback on how to improve the static and interactive landscapes.

Here are the meeting notes from today's CNCF Reference Architecture Meeting: https://goo.gl/MZgN4J.

Please feel free to continue the conversation in the mailing list.

The next CNCF Reference Architecture Meeting will be on Wed, September 12, 2018.

Thank you,
Lucina

Lucina Stricko,
Partner vulk.coop
Product Manager https://cncf.ci

Re: CNCF Reference Architecture monthly meeting on Wednesday, August 8th at 11am PT at https://zoom.us/my/cncfrefarch

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

Michael, please feel free to start a thread on this mailing list discussing what you'd like to contribute.

We'll be renaming https://landscape.cncf.io/grouping=landscape&landscape=secure-images to Security and Compliance, but are open to other options on how to break up the category.

Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 11:25 AM, Michael Ducy <michael.ducy@...> wrote:
Unfortunately I am unable to attend today's Reference Architecture call as it's during a Cloud Native meetup I'm presenting at this evening. However, on the TOC call yesterday the idea was discussed to create project categories centered around certain concerns such as Security, Observability, etc. It was also stated this work would take place in the Reference Architecture group.

I be happy to help with creating/defining the Security category, including the deliverables outlined by the GB and TOC. I've already started some a small portion of this work, so it would be a continuation of work I already have in progress.

Please let me know how I can help.

Michael

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 12:04 PM, Lucina Stricko <lucina.stricko@...> wrote:
Good morning,

The next CNCF Reference Architecture monthly meeting is tomorrow, Wednesday, August 8th at 11am Pacific Time.

When: Wed, August 8, 11am – 12pm Pacific Time
Meeting notes: https://goo.gl/MZgN4J

Calendar details from https://www.cncf.io/community/calendar/

Day: Every month on the Second Wednesday
Time: 11:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Location: Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/my/cncfrefarch

Or Telephone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 877 369 0926 (Toll Free) or +1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free) Meeting ID: 304 550 1079

International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/cGgwaajOj

NOTE: Please use *6 to mute/un-mute your phone during the call. World Time Zone Converter: http://www.thetimezoneconverter.com/?t=11:00%20am&tz=San%20Francisco&

Thank you,
Lucina

[...]