From: Geri Jennings <Geri.Jennings@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 12:15
To: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>, Dan Kohn <dan@...>, "cncf-reference-architecture@..." <cncf-reference-architecture@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-reference-architecture] WIP: Auto-generated Cloud Native Landscape

There’s something useful about the existing category structure that may be lost with themes – are you thinking that themes might be an additional way to break out the products / projects in the landscape, or would they replace the categories entirely?

It might be interesting to allow for a few different ways to group projects (categories / sub-categories, themes, etc) and keep metadata on each project that indicates which groupings it belongs to. That would allow for more flexibility in the landscape web UI, and could start to address some issues around projects that don’t naturally fit into just a single sub-category.

Hopefully I haven’t repeated something that has already been said; I’ve read through the reference architecture mailing list backlog, but I am newer to this group.

Geri Jennings

CyberArk

From: <cncf-reference-architecture@...> on behalf of Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 3:01 PM
To: Dan Kohn <dan@...>, "cncf-reference-architecture@..." <cncf-reference-architecture@...>

Thanks Dan

That helps a lot, and seems like the right direction, as discussed in the last working group meeting.

I gave a bit more thought to what we discussed around “themes” - security was the canonical example of a theme.  We discussed that some audiences (e.g. security auditors) might want to zoom in on a theme like that, and want to understand the landscape in that context, without irrelevant distractions.  Here is a brief straw man proposal for how that might work.

  1. Each project may associate one or more of a set of predefined "theme labels” to their projects.  “Security” might be one example of such a theme.  Themes typically span multiple layers and categories in the landscape.
  2. Together with the label association, the project would include a short description of how/why their project relates to that theme, with links to further details.  An example might be a container runtime that is focussed on secure containers, or a cloud-native storage system that is focussed on secure, encrypted storage, etc.
  3. Viewers of the landscape could filter the landscape to only show projects pertaining to one theme (based on their labels).
  4. After filtering, viewers could discover how a given project pertains to the selected theme (e.g. by hovering over the project, which might display the above brief description of the project’s relevance to the theme).

I think we were also asked to come up with some other candidate themes

Here are a few proposed themes to consider:

  1. Security (we’ve spoken about this already, of course).
  2. High performance (some projects prioritize this well above other goals like security or ease-of-use).
  3. Large scale (similar to above)
  4. Ease of use (some UI’s, operators etc are focussed much more on this than e.g. any of the above).
  5. Multi-cloud/hybrid cloud

I’m sure that others might propose more potential themes.

Hope this helps…

Quinton Hoole

Technical Vice President

America Research Center

2330 Central Expressway, Santa Clara, CA 95050

Tel: 408-330-4721   Cell: 408-320-8917   Office # E2-9

Email: quinton.hoole@...   ID#Q00403160

From: <cncf-reference-architecture@...> on behalf of Dan Kohn <dan@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 09:33
To: "cncf-reference-architecture@..." <cncf-reference-architecture@...>

This is very much a work-in-progress, but I thought folks on this list might be interested to see that we're making headway auto-generating the Cloud Native Landscape:

This then allows for filtering such as only showing CNCF projects:

This e-mail may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, do not duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error.

Join cncf-reference-architecture@lists.cncf.io to automatically receive all group messages.