Re: WIP: Auto-generated Cloud Native Landscape

Quinton Hoole

Thanks Dan

That helps a lot, and seems like the right direction, as discussed in the last working group meeting.

I gave a bit more thought to what we discussed around “themes” - security was the canonical example of a theme.  We discussed that some audiences (e.g. security auditors) might want to zoom in on a theme like that, and want to understand the landscape in that context, without irrelevant distractions.  Here is a brief straw man proposal for how that might work.

  1. Each project may associate one or more of a set of predefined "theme labels” to their projects.  “Security” might be one example of such a theme.  Themes typically span multiple layers and categories in the landscape.
  2. Together with the label association, the project would include a short description of how/why their project relates to that theme, with links to further details.  An example might be a container runtime that is focussed on secure containers, or a cloud-native storage system that is focussed on secure, encrypted storage, etc.
  3. Viewers of the landscape could filter the landscape to only show projects pertaining to one theme (based on their labels).
  4. After filtering, viewers could discover how a given project pertains to the selected theme (e.g. by hovering over the project, which might display the above brief description of the project’s relevance to the theme).
I think we were also asked to come up with some other candidate themes

Here are a few proposed themes to consider:
  1. Security (we’ve spoken about this already, of course).
  2. High performance (some projects prioritize this well above other goals like security or ease-of-use).
  3. Large scale (similar to above)
  4. Ease of use (some UI’s, operators etc are focussed much more on this than e.g. any of the above).
  5. Multi-cloud/hybrid cloud
I’m sure that others might propose more potential themes.

Hope this helps…

Quinton Hoole

Technical Vice President

America Research Center

2330 Central Expressway, Santa Clara, CA 95050

Tel: 408-330-4721   Cell: 408-320-8917   Office # E2-9

Email: quinton.hoole@...   ID#Q00403160

From: <cncf-reference-architecture@...> on behalf of Dan Kohn <dan@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 09:33
To: "cncf-reference-architecture@..." <cncf-reference-architecture@...>
Subject: [cncf-reference-architecture] WIP: Auto-generated Cloud Native Landscape

This is very much a work-in-progress, but I thought folks on this list might be interested to see that we're making headway auto-generating the Cloud Native Landscape:

This then allows for filtering such as only showing CNCF projects:

Join cncf-reference-architecture@lists.cncf.io to automatically receive all group messages.