Topics

Auto-instrumentation for Java Open Telemetry

Ben Sigelman

Hi Alexander (and everyone else),

TL;DR "sure" – there are some complicating factors around various timelines, but I think it would be great to discuss on a call, at least initially.

What would the goal(s) be for the conversation?

Best wishes,
Ben

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 8:32 AM Alexander S. Klimov <alexklim@...> wrote:

Hi guys,

There are multiple ongoing conversation with different audiences so far about the need for Open Telemetry to have automatic instrumentation. OpenTelemetry itself has RFC for this topic. At Microsoft we are planning to start with Java first - with @Trask the expert in this area, author of Glowroot.

To our understanding no progress was made in OpenTelemetry in Java for automatic instrumentation yet. So we can start with providing the design for the discussion and then reference implementation based on GlowRoot technology to validate the design works.

If everything goes well: we can ship and support GlowRoot based JVM agent in OpenTelemetry community. We can also align with other JVM agent implementation and support that solution going forward as shared one, if we have better alternatives.

If someone else started working on Java solution – we would love to start collaborating with other experts in this area.

Can we schedule a meeting to discuss the next steps?

Thanks!

Ben Sigelman

Sorry for the delay (crazy inbox, etc).

I have 30m calls at 10am and 10:30am PT on Thursday... is 11am PT feasible? Or 9am on Friday?

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 7:21 AM Alexander S. Klimov <alexklim@...> wrote:
Hello Ben,

Let's meet, understand what conversations happened already, outline the working group for Java solution and agree on the next steps.

Does that sound good? Would this Thursday, Aug 29, 10:00-11:00 am work?

Regards,
Alex

[...]

Morgan McLean

11:00 AM on Thursday works for me

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 9:21 PM Ben Sigelman <bhs@...> wrote:
[...]

Reitbauer, Alois

Count me in.

[...]

The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4040 Linz, Austria, Freistädterstraße 313

Alyson van Hardenberg

I don't speak much Java, but I'm very interested in auto-instrumentation. Would love to join the call.

Count me in.

--

Software Engineer at Honeycomb

Jonathan Mace

I'd like to join this meeting too.

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 at 18:27, Reitbauer, Alois <alois.reitbauer@...> wrote:

Count me in.

[...]

Matthew Wear

I'll also attend.

Count me in.

From: <cncf-opentelemetry-community@...> on behalf of "Morgan
McLean via Lists.Cncf.Io" <morganmclean=google.com@...>
Date: Wednesday, 28. August 2019 at 06:41
To: "cncf-opentelemetry-community@..."
<cncf-opentelemetry-community@...>
Cc: "Alexander S. Klimov" <alexklim@...>, Ilan Rabinovitch
<ilan@...>, Bogdan Drutu <bdrutu@...>, Trask Stalnaker
<Trask.Stalnaker@...>, Tyler Benson <tylerbenson@...>, Sarah
Novotny <Sarah.Novotny@...>, Sergey Kanzhelev
<Sergey.Kanzhelev@...>, Hong Gao <hgao@...>, Dushyant
Gill <dugill@...>
Subject: Re: [opentelemetry-community] Auto-instrumentation for Java Open
Telemetry

________________________________
TL;DR "sure" – there are some complicating factors around various timelines,
but I think it would be great to discuss on a call, at least initially.

What would the goal(s) be for the conversation?

Best wishes,
Ben

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 8:32 AM Alexander S. Klimov
<alexklim@...<mailto:alexklim@...>> wrote:

Hi guys,

There are multiple ongoing conversation with different audiences so far
about the need for Open Telemetry to have automatic instrumentation.
OpenTelemetry itself has
RFC<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fopen-telemetry%2Frfcs%2Fblob%2Fmaster%2Ftext%2F0001-telemetry-without-manual-instrumentation.md&data=02%7C01%7Calois.reitbauer%40dynatrace.com%7C8b458bdc6b654f967faa08d72b7208e0%7C70ebe3a35b30435d9d677716d74ca190%7C1%7C0%7C637025641095348032&sdata=WPg1q2idtskOVRI4JhG%2B71HhVk5y4ZhVRyVD7xI5SK8%3D&reserved=0>
for this topic. At Microsoft we are planning to start with Java first - with
@Trask<mailto:Trask.Stalnaker@...> the expert in this area, author
of
Glowroot<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fglowroot.org%2F&data=02%7C01%7Calois.reitbauer%40dynatrace.com%7C8b458bdc6b654f967faa08d72b7208e0%7C70ebe3a35b30435d9d677716d74ca190%7C1%7C0%7C637025641095348032&sdata=PESQzoiqPFXchzfEX88alGr7dgbx22JopXIBf9mt9R0%3D&reserved=0>.

To our understanding no progress was made in OpenTelemetry in Java for
automatic instrumentation yet. So we can start with providing the design for
the discussion and then reference implementation based on GlowRoot
technology to validate the design works.

If everything goes well: we can ship and support GlowRoot based JVM agent in
OpenTelemetry community. We can also align with other JVM agent
implementation and support that solution going forward as shared one, if we
have better alternatives.

If someone else started working on Java solution – we would love to start
collaborating with other experts in this area.

Can we schedule a meeting to discuss the next steps?

and then destroy it. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h)
is a company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4040 Linz,
Austria, Freistädterstraße 313

Todd Rader

Has this been scheduled?  I'd also love to join.

--
Todd Rader | Architect | 650 387 0422

AppDynamics
The Application Intelligence Company
Watch our video  |  Try our FREE Trial  |  Twitter  |  LinkedIn  |  appdynamics.com

AppDynamics, Inc. is a Delaware corporation with its principal place of business located at 303 Second Street, North Tower, 8th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94107.
Tel: +1 415.442.8400 website: appdynamics.com

Allan Feldman

I am also interested in joining!

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 10:01 AM Todd Rader <trader@...> wrote:
Has this been scheduled?  I'd also love to join.

--
Todd Rader | Architect | 650 387 0422

AppDynamics
The Application Intelligence Company
Watch our video  |  Try our FREE Trial  |  Twitter  |  LinkedIn  |  appdynamics.com

AppDynamics, Inc. is a Delaware corporation with its principal place of business located at 303 Second Street, North Tower, 8th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94107.
Tel: +1 415.442.8400 website: appdynamics.com

Ben Sigelman

Hi all,

Looks like 11am tomorrow is good for a bunch of people... I've directly added everyone who asked to be included on this thread and put the meeting on the (central) OTel calendar. Here are the details as a screenshot:

image.png

All are welcome to dial in to https://lightstep.zoom.us/j/402273858 at 11am PT tomorrow. I'll be sure to record the call, too.

Best wishes,
Ben

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 9:17 PM Ben Sigelman <bhs@...> wrote:
[...]

ARGH, there is some Zoom Chrome plugin bug where it sometimes cancels meetings right after scheduling them... I have scheduled a new meeting with a new meeting id:

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 4:41 PM Ben Sigelman via Lists.Cncf.Io <bhs=lightstep.com@...> wrote:
[...]

I wanted to send this around before our meeting this morning.
Honeycomb has already written some auto-instrumentation for Java. We call them our beelines, and have them for multiple languages.
We're happy to contribute this to the OpenTelemetry community https://github.com/honeycombio/beeline-java
- Alyson

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 4:45 PM Ben Sigelman <bhs@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks to those who were able to attend the JVM auto-instrumentation meeting just now; and thanks to Alex and Trask for instigating it. :)

These are the (incomplete-but-best-effort) notes: OpenTelemetry Auto-Instrumentation agendas and meeting notes

The next meeting will be a summary of "prior art" and/or projects that could serve as a baseline or starting point for OTel auto-instrumentation. We have an owner to write up a quick doc summarizing each (or find a delegate to do same). These writeups should be done 48h in advance of the meeting, and meeting attendees should review and add questions/comments prior to the meeting.

That way we can focus the next meeting on these questions/comments/areas-of-interest rather than on a recitation of the project summaries themselves.

I thought it would be helpful to put all of the project summaries in one place, so I created this doc:

I'll find an owner for datadog, and I'll also work on scheduling something for the week after next.

Please feel free to add anything I've forgotten or missed here – thanks again!
Ben

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 10:02 AM Alyson van Hardenberg <alyson@...> wrote:
[...]

In re the thread below, I wanted to point out this PR that adds a concrete proposal to the pan-language OTEP about auto-instrumentation.

To be clear, if this is adopted, it's still all well and good to incorporate aspects of other JVM auto-instrumentation efforts; but this OTEP says that we would use `dd-trace-java` lib as our starting point (and would thus inherit many of its architectural decisions).

Best wishes,
Ben