0.3.1 release planning


Oliver Gould <v...@...>
 

Hey folks,

I just went through the 0.3.1 milestone and added Priority labels (P0 is highest priority, P2 is lowest priority) to issues. These priorities are an educated guess on my part, so please correct as needed.

To reiterate: the theme for 0.3.1 is correctness. Let's squash as many known proxy correctness bugs as we can.  If you think there are other issues that aren't in 0.3.1 that should be, please add them.

ALSO, while I was doing this, it seems that I accidentally removed the milestones from a bunch of issues. I think I've fixed them all, but also please review the list to ensure your favorite issue hasn't been dropped from the milestone.

We'll go over this list of issues again on Monday, and discuss some minor process changes.  The executive summary is: work on the most important stuff first ;)

0.3.1: P0 Issues
0.3.1: P1 Issues
0.3.1: P2 Issues

Happy Hacking,
- Oliver


Oliver Gould <v...@...>
 

Oh no! I forgot the most important part.

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 4:06 PM Oliver Gould <v...@...> wrote:
I just went through the 0.3.1 milestone and added Priority labels (P0 is highest priority, P2 is lowest priority) to issues. These priorities are an educated guess on my part, so please correct as needed.

These priorities have specific meanings:

P0: Release Blocker -- the release will be delayed until this issue is resolved
P1: Planned for Release -- the release is expected to include this issue
P2: Nice-to-have for Release -- the release might include this issue



Brian Smith <br...@...>
 

Update:

I think that things are mostly on track for the work on the release to be wrapped up by EOD by Monday. If you have a P0 or P1 issue assigned to you and you don't expect to have the issue completely resolved by 5:00pm Pacific Time (3:00pm Hawaiʻi time) on Monday, March 5th, please let me know ASAP.

I am the release manager for Conduit 0.3.1. I've never been a release manager before and so things might be bumpy. Here are the links to the issues we currently expect to definitely be in the 0.3.1 release as of today.

0.3.1 P0: Release-blocking issues

I am not paying attention to any 0.3.1 P2 issues as far as my role as Conduit 0.3.1 release manager goes.

As you can see, all of these issues is currently assigned to somebody, except for Issue #437. Issue #437 is now two issues, as I've split out the inaccurate telemetry aspect into its own issue: #479. I think we should prioritize #479 as a 0.3.1 P1 issue; I assigned #479 to Oliver to do the actual prioritization. What should we do with the actual latency issue described in #437? I propose that if it is still unassigned on Thursday then we should change our expectation to assume that it won't be resolved for 0.3.1 and will be deferred to 0.4.0. 

If you think there are other issues that are important to go into Conduit 0.3.1 then please let me know ASAP.

Thanks,
Brian


Kevin Lingerfelt <k...@...>
 

I just added https://github.com/runconduit/conduit/issues/478 to the 0.3.1 milestone, since it appears to be a regression from 0.3.0. Hopefully we can get that prioritized / assigned accordingly.

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 5:11 PM, Brian Smith <br...@...> wrote:
Update:

I think that things are mostly on track for the work on the release to be wrapped up by EOD by Monday. If you have a P0 or P1 issue assigned to you and you don't expect to have the issue completely resolved by 5:00pm Pacific Time (3:00pm Hawaiʻi time) on Monday, March 5th, please let me know ASAP.

I am the release manager for Conduit 0.3.1. I've never been a release manager before and so things might be bumpy. Here are the links to the issues we currently expect to definitely be in the 0.3.1 release as of today.

0.3.1 P0: Release-blocking issues

I am not paying attention to any 0.3.1 P2 issues as far as my role as Conduit 0.3.1 release manager goes.

As you can see, all of these issues is currently assigned to somebody, except for Issue #437. Issue #437 is now two issues, as I've split out the inaccurate telemetry aspect into its own issue: #479. I think we should prioritize #479 as a 0.3.1 P1 issue; I assigned #479 to Oliver to do the actual prioritization. What should we do with the actual latency issue described in #437? I propose that if it is still unassigned on Thursday then we should change our expectation to assume that it won't be resolved for 0.3.1 and will be deferred to 0.4.0. 

If you think there are other issues that are important to go into Conduit 0.3.1 then please let me know ASAP.

Thanks,
Brian

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "conduit-dev" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to conduit-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to condu...@....
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/conduit-dev/CAFewVt4OZWo%2BioBoX-4gWmtYVaAmrO8POTHAemUcdHBvtCfMuw%40mail.gmail.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Brian Smith <br...@...>
 

Brian Smith <br...@...> wrote:
 
As you can see, all of these issues is currently assigned to somebody, except for Issue #437. [...] What should we do with the actual latency issue described in #437? I propose that if it is still unassigned on Thursday then we should change our expectation to assume that it won't be resolved for 0.3.1 and will be deferred to 0.4.0. 

#437 is still unassigned. It is P1 and not P0 so it isn't a release blocker. Since there hasn't been any progress I personally don't expect it to be done for 0.3.1.

As you can see from the quoted links above (which are kept live and up-to-date), there is a new P0 issue, Issue #496, that got factored out of an existing P0 issue Issue #478. Please take a look at the new issue and the proposed resolution and provide your feedback right away. Issue #496 is currently unassigned.

Issue #478 itself is a big, high-risk issue. It is somewhat likely that the first PRs to fix it will not be enough; that is, once we fix the initial wave of issues, we will likely find more. There is good chance that we'll have to back out the proxy-in-controller change for 0.3.1. That would be unfortunate but we have to assume it might happen. If it does, that would involve releasing 0.3.1 off of a branch that would have the  proxy-in-controller change reverted. This would probably add a day to the release since we've never released off a branch before. If that happens the branching will probably happen on Tuesday and any fixes for 0.3.1 issues that land after the branching would have to land on both branches.

Kevin did some great work on the 2nd part of fixing Issue #155. The issue is at risk, being blocked on me (sorry) resolving Issue #421, writing the spec for it. That's what I'm working on right after I send this email.

Otherwise, the other P0 issues look to be in good shape.

Cheers,
Brian