Date

CKA beta - 9/5 update

Clyde

The changes made over the weekend have significantly improved the beta exam status. Virtually everyone should now be able to start their exam at the reserved time and we are continuing to roll out additional updates to further improve the experience. Here are some key points to note:

  • There is a very small handful of folks who had an error related to their original reservation ID being reused, which causes the newly scheduled exam to be unavailable. We are trying to track down and notify everyone affected
  • For each question you'll see the point value at the bottom and we're relocated some items so that fewer high value questions are at the end. However, since we're trying to minimize the amount of manual navigation across the different clusters, you'll still find that the second 'half' has a higher point value than the first 'half'.
  • If you find that a particular cluster isn't responding as it should, please move on to another question on a different cluster and continue. We've had a report today of an error like this and we will grade around this if it happens to anyone so that you won't be penalized. While we will try to get the grading done within the normal 3 day window for providing results it is possible that we might need an extra day or two.
  • Reminder to everyone that results are automatically sent 3 days after  your exam (allow up to 75hrs for the email to be delivered). However, we do have access to check on them sooner and will be dong that to tabulate the initial list of KCSPs. So all exams taken by Friday will be counted in developing the initial list.

If you experience any issues with your exam or questions about any part of the process please contact the CKA helpdesk at: certificationsupport@.... We've worked through the backlog caused by last week's issues so you will receive a timely response.

Regards

Clyde

--
Clyde Seepersad
General Manager, Training & Certification

(tickets filed but not replied) can't schedule beta exam for the extension period

Caio Begotti

Hi there, I have filed 2 tickets in RT with screenshots and the problem I am getting when scheduling my beta exam for the extension period of 9/4-9/8 (in fact on the 7th at 7PM UTC-0300) but I haven't got any replies. I have also contacted the PSI support and they also didn't get back to me about the issue (apparently their page does not confirm the picked time slot).

Can somebody help me with getting this sorted?

[for the curious out there, I was offline on family vacations 'til now and missed the first scheduling period, I am thankful we had this extension]

— Caio Begotti

Grading update - passing scores sent

Clyde

We've completed the initial grading run and sent emails to everyone who achieved a passing score. There are still ~30 additional exams for which we're going to do a deeper manual grading over the next day or two and it is possible that some of these will achieve a passing score, in which case we will notify you.

If you haven't received an email indicating a passing score (check your spam folders) please schedule your exam retake. If it turns out that yours is one of the ~30 exams receiving further attention we'll let you know if it results in a passing score and you can simply not show up for the rescheduled exam, your passing status won't be affected.

Regards

Clyde

--
Clyde Seepersad
General Manager, Training & Certification
e: cseepersad@linuxfoundation.org
p: 404 964 6973

Re: CKA Beta update

Ishara Fernando

Hello Clyde,

I also would like to suggest that the passing score should be decreased to a very fair score as there were several issues (clusters down, nodes down, clarity of questions, hard questions at the end, etc)  for myself and many candidates in the exam. Also I am sure that all the candidates who sat for the beta exam is very competent in kubernetes and might have lost confidence in the exam due to the above issues and scored lesser in the exam than their potential.. Just a thought from myself Clyde. Thank you , awaiting your updates..

Thanks and regards
Mario Ishara Fernando
Pearson Lanka (pvt) Ltd
Sri Lanka

On 2 Sep 2017 1:03 am, "Clyde Seepersad" <cseepersad@...> wrote:

We wanted to address some of the concerns/questions that have been posted over the past few days (apologies in advance for what is a pretty long email). Before diving in, we would like to note that we (CNCF & LF) want the initial class KCSPs to be substantial so please rest assured that we'll be flexible in working with your organization to ensure you qualify if at all possible, including additional attempts at no cost if necessary.

I'd also like to again remind folks to please use certificationsupport@... if you have questions about your individual exam status. We know it's taken longer to respond in some cases than we'd like but (unlike the support address) there's no ticket management system on this mailing list so the risk of your inquiry being lost in the shuffle is high.

Now, onto some of the issues raised:

  • 'Exams not ready' and 'couldn't access a specific cluster' - we experienced a late breaking problem with the environment setup script, a couple updated services caused a cascade of symptoms including overloading the CPU during the (very complex) setup run. We're tackling this on a couple different fronts over the weekend and expect to have exams provisioning normally next week. While we'll release Sunday night for Monday morning I'd advise to aim for Tuesday or later to be on the safe side.
  • 'No proctor available' - a few of you had issues with this and it was caused by a bug in the proctoring system. The exam rules require that candidates must schedule at least 24 hrs out and normally this is reinforced via the scheduler not showing options within 24 hrs. In certain cases though (e.g. when a candidate was logged in for a long while before selecting a time) the scheduler was allowing the reservation to be made within 24 hrs and those reservations weren't picked up by the proctor scheduler, resulting in no proctor being assigned. We're working with our proctoring partner to resolve but in the meantime, please be mindful of the time if you're trying to schedule exactly 24hrs out, for example, if it's 8:10am and you're being offered an 8am-noon slot for the next day please ignore it and schedule another one that's further out
  • 'Question phrasing is unclear' - we're revising some of the phrasing over the weekend to try to improve clarity. For those questions that involve pasting content into a txt file, please rest assured that the grading is fairly forgiving in how it assesses what's saved in the file.
  • 'Sort and etcd not working' - these were also new bugs related to a configuration error and the fixes are being deployed over the weekend
  • 'Working with yaml files is time consuming' - you are allowed to download templates and we are looking at options to reduce the keystroke load but likely will take several more days to deploy a robust solution
  • 'Command line is laggy/copy & paste issues' - we are testing an upgrade to the GateOne terminal emulator that should significantly reduce these issue
  • 'Hardest questions are all at the end' - we grouped the questions by which cluster they are on to save time in navigating and these just happened to be last. We'll move this group of questions a little earlier.

I'm sure not every concern is reflected above but this represents a summary of the most consistent themes that we've heard across the various channels of input.

Regards
Clyde
--
Clyde Seepersad
General Manager, Training & Certification
e: cseepersad@...
p: 404 964 6973

Projected date for cert availability or additional beta rounds?

Art Fewell <afewell@...>

Hi,

I was wondering if you have a projected date for general availability for the certification?

Also will you be accepting additional beta candidates?

Thanks!

CKA Beta update

Clyde

[...]

Re: Non provisioned exams - Two attempts

Niko

Got confirmed by support, those who were not provisioned the exams will still have two attempts in it - I suppose better to schedule 5 or 6 Sept and for the next one, if no pass, at 8.

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Srikar Ananthula <ananthulasrikar@...> wrote:
+1

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 9:01 PM, Niko Penteridis <nickpenteridis@...> wrote:
Hi Liz, Clyde, all,

I was also not provisioned with the exam, and from what I see we will now have only one attempt at it, which is the 'free retake', and the normal attempt was annulled.

I believe that's quite unfair and we all have paid an amount for the exam nonetheless, and what we paid for is two attempts - the scheduled one and a free retake. Since the error on provisioning is at your side, the ideal solution would be to be able to reschedule the first attempt.

So, I think we would all like to have a second attempt at it in case we don't reach the passing mark the first time. Preferably being able to schedule one at 9/4, and another one at 9/8.

Thanks,
Niko

Re: Non provisioned exams - Two attempts

Srikar

+1

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 9:01 PM, Niko Penteridis <nickpenteridis@...> wrote:
Hi Liz, Clyde, all,

I was also not provisioned with the exam, and from what I see we will now have only one attempt at it, which is the 'free retake', and the normal attempt was annulled.

I believe that's quite unfair and we all have paid an amount for the exam nonetheless, and what we paid for is two attempts - the scheduled one and a free retake. Since the error on provisioning is at your side, the ideal solution would be to be able to reschedule the first attempt.

So, I think we would all like to have a second attempt at it in case we don't reach the passing mark the first time. Preferably being able to schedule one at 9/4, and another one at 9/8.

Thanks,
Niko

CKA customer support

Linux Foundation Certification <certification@...>

Got questions or requests regarding the Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA) exam? Contact customer support at certificationsupport@...

Re: Beta grading update (Clyde Seepersad)

Michael Hausenblas

Besides the technical and general issues, there’s some feedback on the clarity of questions
and similar content related issues. If there’d be some way for us beta testers to give
direct feedback on certain questions (like in github issues or so) that would be great.
I couldn’t have formulated it better.

Cheers,
Michael

--
Michael Hausenblas
Ireland, Europe

will there be a way to give feedback on the content of the exam after the grading has been
finished? The survey monkey link was empty and now says I already took the survey. Besides
the technical and general issues, there’s some feedback on the clarity of questions
and similar content related issues. If there’d be some way for us beta testers to give
direct feedback on certain questions (like in github issues or so) that would be great.

Best,

Puja

Puja Abbassi
Developer Advocate @ Giant Swarm

Re: [Customer Support #45224] [linuxfoundation.org #45224] Re: Issues with beta exam, question about rescheduling

Yogesh Sharma via RT <customersupport@...>

I'm not even able to login.. https://login.examslocal.com/

or change password...

need help to reschedule.

thanks,
Yogesh

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 8:07 AM, Oleg Atamanenko <oleg.atamanenko@gmail.com>
wrote:

Same for me.

I got error that exam is not ready.

Thank you.

Regards,
Oleg.

On Sep 1, 2017, at 11:02, Srikar Ananthula via RT <customersupport@rt.
linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

Can u please enable retake on my account for the exam I faced the problem
yesterday.?

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Srikar Ananthula <
ananthulasrikar@gmail.com>
wrote:

So I would be getting 2 attempts until 9/8 .. right ?

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Jonas Cavalcanti via RT <
customersupport@rt.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

Srikar,

The CKA beta has added five additional testing days: *9/4 - 9/8.* You may

schedule now to sit for the beta on those days. If you have been issued a
retake, you may use it then. (No dates are open 9/1 - 9/3.)

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 10:07 PM, Srikar Ananthula <
ananthulasrikar@gmail.com> wrote:

I registered on August 11, 2017, but failed to attempt since the exam is
not loading.

I registered again on Sep 1, 2017, and now I see a different error. When
contacted support "I notice you have a LF exam. These exams have had

errors

uploading in our system today"

Launch Status: Delivery partner doesn't have the exam ready

Now even 2nd attempt also failed :(

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 2:51 AM, Oleg Atamanenko <

oleg.atamanenko@gmail.com

wrote:

Hi!

As other people mentioned, there are some issues with beta exam.

I also faced it today, my exam was not ready on time, so I didn’t have

chance to take an exam.

Questions:

1. When will it be possible to reschedule exam? As noted in previous
e-mails there will be a extension for 9/4 - 9/8?
2. If for some reason I will not pass, will there be another

possibility

to retake exam? Strictly speaking it should be, because first attempt

even

didn’t happen because of the system error.

Thank you.

Regards,
Oleg.

~ srikar.io

*Jonas Cavalcanti*

Fone: +5585986872577 <+55%2085%2098687-2577> | Skype: jonas.neto9

RedHat:

RHCSA | RHCE | RH Server Hrdening | RHJB248

ID:150-087-658

--
~ srikar.io

--
~ srikar.io

wrote:

Hi!

As other people mentioned, there are some issues with beta exam.

I also faced it today, my exam was not ready on time, so I didn’t have
chance to take an exam.

Questions:

1. When will it be possible to reschedule exam? As noted in previous
e-mails there will be a extension for 9/4 - 9/8?
2. If for some reason I will not pass, will there be another
possibility
to retake exam? Strictly speaking it should be, because first attempt
even
didn’t happen because of the system error.

Thank you.

Regards,
Oleg.

~ srikar.io

*Jonas Cavalcanti*

Fone: +5585986872577 | Skype: jonas.neto9

[...]

will there be a way to give feedback on the content of the exam after the grading has been finished? The survey monkey link was empty and now says I already took the survey. Besides the technical and general issues, there’s some feedback on the clarity of questions and similar content related issues. If there’d be some way for us beta testers to give direct feedback on certain questions (like in github issues or so) that would be great.

oleg.atamanenko@gmail.com via RT <customersupport@...>

wrote:
[...]

Oleg Atamanenko

wrote:
[...]

Beta grading update

Clyde

We are still working through the grading process, developing scripts to grade around failed nodes so that those of you who experienced them are not negatively impacted in your scoring. It's taking longer to do so than anticipated so likely will be tomorrow before we provide the official notifications. As those of you who took the exam can tell, it's a very complicated setup to try to reflect the 'real world'. We think that's the right approach but it does mean that we've had more last minute issues than anticipated.

Really appreciate everyone's patience as we work through this.

Regards

Clyde

--

wrote:
Hi!

As other people mentioned, there are some issues with beta exam.

I also faced it today, my exam was not ready on time, so I didn’t have a
[...]

Hello Jonas,

It doesn’t show me option to reschedule exam.
The only available option is to re-register for exam.

Could you please help?

Regards,
Oleg.

wrote:
[...]